C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

German vs American(Aussie) Muscle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none... for now
German vs American(Aussie) Muscle

Hello all, my name's Mike and I suppose this is my introduction thread as well.

My life story in 2 minutes: I had a 94 corvette that I had for 5 years(07-12) and loved its rough and tumble ride. In 2010 my son was born, and I picked up my grandparents 95 Cutlass as a beater when they decided to cut back on cars in 2011. The Mrs car's time was up in Spring of 2013, so she picked up a Cube. As such, since selling my Corvette, I'm bored to tears no matter which car we take. I held out for a couple years as to get our other finances in order(inherited wife's sizable debt, she's almost finished online college, etc.) and next Spring/Summer I'll be ready to pull the trigger on a car that wont put me to sleep .2 miles down the road.

So I set out making a lengthy list of possible fun cars, cars most would never compare to each other, but I decided to throw logic out the window. Obviously, with an almost 5yo son another Corvette is out of the question. It has to have some semblance of a back seat, ideally one that could fit a 10-12yo assuming I keep the next car 5-7 years. I also wanted a low 13 second capable car, respectable handling, manual trans, and a simplistic car. I wanted something driver oriented daily driver that I could just get in and go. Adjustable this or that kept to a minimum(preferably 0).

I finally whittled my list down to an 03/04 Mach 1 Mustang, or 05/06 GTO. Both fit the bill great in different ways. Recently though, the Mach 1 has taken a back seat to a C55/2005 CLK55. Black with red stripe Mach 1's are one of the coolest cars I've ever seen, but the retro interior I'd rip out immediately, and the small back seat had me really questioning it. The C55 with its low weight, basic suspension, and NA v8 is getting a pass despite an automatic trans.

So now I'm carefully debating a 6.0 GTO or C55. Cars with a plethora of differences and a few similarities. Equal mileage, the GTO is a hair cheaper, and more plentiful. It's interior is simplistic but sporty with color matched interiors and of course, there's the LS2/T56. 40 more hp, but almost 200lbs more as well. Parts are also becoming increasingly rare. The C55's interior is a bit more upscale but also more sterile, although it's not boring. The M113/722 from what I've researched are rock solid, and between that and its standard shocks/struts/springs, all the expensive bits are extremely low risk. None the less, it still contains AMG-price tag components. Basically, its a rarity vs cost issue, GTO vs AMG.

I've done quite a bit of homework and have ample more time to before I buy, so my only question is, what non-Benz cars did you C/CLK55 owners come from? Any General Motors LSx cars, or by chance, anybody come from a GTO? What were the most glaring pros/cons the AMG had? Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:26 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Unfortunately as you have worked out already- all AMG's are auto only so that might be a deciding factor. I have only seen Holdens (Australia's Pontiac equivalent) and the interior and general quality is very inferior to the european cars. Everything from the dashboard to the seats and door inserts is a huge step up.

Mercedes is a luxury brand, the others you are comparing to are great cars and have fantastic value for money but while they are performance orientated, they are not quite at the same level in my opinion.

Do you do your own maintenance? AMG's and european cars in general usually cost more to maintain. I know one member on the forum went to a 6.0 GTO from the C32 due to on-going repairs. He might chime in on how he is liking the change....
Old 11-30-2014, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Only one car came to mind: Pontiac G8 GXP with the V8 and 6 speed manual. Power, great looks, and space for the kids. They are rare, but out there. Looks like you can pick one up for about $30k. If you can't justify spending 30, tell yourself that it's about the same as buying a new Camry
Old 11-30-2014, 01:37 PM

none... for now
Originally Posted by tw2
Unfortunately as you have worked out already- all AMG's are auto only so that might be a deciding factor. I have only seen Holdens (Australia's Pontiac equivalent) and the interior and general quality is very inferior to the european cars. Everything from the dashboard to the seats and door inserts is a huge step up.

Mercedes is a luxury brand, the others you are comparing to are great cars and have fantastic value for money but while they are performance orientated, they are not quite at the same level in my opinion.

Do you do your own maintenance? AMG's and european cars in general usually cost more to maintain. I know one member on the forum went to a 6.0 GTO from the C32 due to on-going repairs. He might chime in on how he is liking the change....
True. Plastics and fake leather are more common in the GTO/Monaro, but they don't bother me tons. The seats however, are amazing in them. Maybe not as nice as the Nappa leather AMG's, but more comfy and supportive(those shoulder alcantara patches are nice, but have to do nothing to hold you in place). I've never been much of a luxury kinda guy, and the mechanical aspect of the C/CLK55 interest me more then the luxury side, although I'm sure my passengers wouldn't mind. I'm not the typical Mercedes customer lets put it that way lol. I am however impressed that my mom's 1995 E300d has nearly 340,xxx miles on it though.

I'm capable of doing most of my own work on whatever I get, so costs, while an issue, are not a make or break kind of deal. Unless of course, we're talking about V12tt prices like in the CL600's I was considering initially. That idea didn't last long...

As for the G8 GXP, I actually like the more smooth lines of the GTO vs the over the top angles of the G8. More importantly I forgot to mention my budget is around $18k which certainly eliminates them lol. That should easily net me a ~30-40k mile GTO or C55. 2005 CLK55 is, odds are, not an option at that price point as well unless I get lucky.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:21 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Not sure about where you are but here the C55 and CLK55 are priced about the same. The CLK was available since 03 in comparison to the C55.

The seats are fully adjustable. Not sure about the C but the CLK55 has 4 vacuum switches to adjust everything imaginable in addition to the usual 4 electronic switches on the door for seat in/out, height etc. Mine are always set to hug.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:21 PM

none... for now
True, the CLK seats look much better bolstered then then the C seats. I didn't know they had extra adjustments though.

The 03/04 CLK55's are a little cheaper then C55's near me, but I'd much rather the updated 05/06 CLK, and only in coupe body style. The rarity of those few 05 coupes seem to demand a premium over C55's(the very few I've seen listed).
Old 12-02-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Trust me, with kids, you'll be kicking yourself for not getting the 4 door. You may not think so now, but you will!

They only imported ~4,000 C55's to NA total for the two year run... I've yet to see a CLK55 so they may be a unicorn. Not like the C55 is plentiful, only 3 on Ebay at the moment.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG
You asked GTO or AMG, I'm just going to chime in and say AMG.
That's all, take care!
Old 12-04-2014, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
AMG all the way.

If you do your own maintenance this car is actually pretty cheap to maintain (relatively speaking). It's also really easy IMO to work on. I know there's always theories on European cars being "too complicated to work on" and maybe that's the case for most, but I've always found MB is very well designed from a maintenance standpoint and you don't have to take 1,000 things apart for something that should be a small task (with exceptions of course, but every car has that).

Considering that this car has a high performance engine, and therefore more prone to repairs, it's on the better end of reliability. Usually high performance and low maintenance don't go together.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:49 PM

none... for now
Originally Posted by RenC55AMG
Trust me, with kids, you'll be kicking yourself for not getting the 4 door. You may not think so now, but you will!
Strangely, I'd have to disagree(sort of). As long as I feed him enough belt, my son can buckle and unbuckle himself in many cars he's been in. So to me, opening and closing a single door on a coupe sounds easier... so long as it has memory seats I don't have to readjust each and every time. The GTO doesn't have memory seats, the CLK55 does, and in the C55, well, 4 doors. +1 point to the AMG's with that.

Originally Posted by Supgee
You asked GTO or AMG, I'm just going to chime in and say AMG.
That's all, take care!
Duly noted!

Originally Posted by C230 Mulac
AMG all the way.

If you do your own maintenance this car is actually pretty cheap to maintain (relatively speaking). It's also really easy IMO to work on. I know there's always theories on European cars being "too complicated to work on" and maybe that's the case for most, but I've always found MB is very well designed from a maintenance standpoint and you don't have to take 1,000 things apart for something that should be a small task (with exceptions of course, but every car has that).

Considering that this car has a high performance engine, and therefore more prone to repairs, it's on the better end of reliability. Usually high performance and low maintenance don't go together.
I agree. It's simplicity attracted me, and the m113/722 durability sucked me in. The fact it lacks a LSD still boggles my mind though. I'd rather the added mechanical aspect over a computer controlled system, considering how far electronics have come in 10 years. Or hey, why not use both!(I won't be dropping that kind of coin on an aftermarket one either... probably)

The GTO has major hit or miss suspension issues, but other then that about the same # of small issues as a C55. Makes it kinda tough to decide. The C/CLK55 are nicer overall cars, but the GTO is a tad more simplistic. Then there's always the issue of that 6 speed...

Performance bits, well that's no contest. LSx parts are cheap. Even GTO specific cheapy Pacesetter headers are ~$300 shipped. Sure you need to take time and drench them with quality ceramic paint so they won't rust, but that's a steal. Even high dollar Kooks headers and catted mids are ~$1200.

Last edited by ///AchMeinGott; 12-04-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A teal Vespa with tassles and glitter. You know you're jealous.
I have owned several different brands of cars and from the maintenance standpoint I have to agree with C230 Mulac, its not too complicated. I would rather work on my C32 (oil changes and changing pulleys etc) than my Dodge Dakota. Even though the Dakota is a 4cyl it is a pain to work on and the oil filter is really only accessible through the wheel well which is a joke. I will say the spark plugs on the C32 were a pain, but not impossible. Just took some patience.

Aftermarket performance market for the American cars is cheaper and larger. I have found thought that the AMG doesnt need too much to be a sleeper and still comfortable and reliable to drive. I had a Mustang prior to the AMG and it had several mods (intake, full exhaust, pulleys, gears, transmission (manual) geared different, injectors, throttle body, Cobra brake conversion etc). The car was fun to drive but it was highly uncomfortable for road trips. I just drove my C32 from Atlanta to Fort Worth last weekend and I didnt have any issues. It sat for 3 months in my parents shop. They started it about once a week and it wasnt driven. I changed the oil and a pulley that was chirping and it was ready to go. And I was able to fold the seats down and put my 80lb dog in the back for the trip as well! With a few mods the AMG will be reliable, even faster and still practical and fun to drive.

Thats my opinion

Andrew
Old 12-05-2014, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
There is only one logical conclusion with this thread - you must buy a 203 shell and swap in an LSX motor.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
I agree with southernwake's signature

Saaboteur's suggestion isn't bad either lol