C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Finally got my import camber arms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
corny question?
my mekanik told me that one of the camber arm tubes flat part where you put the spanner is thinner, the other is thicker which means there Are 2 different size of spanners to wrench with when adjusting the flat part of the tube?

Can anyone explain why this is so?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 223 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
No idea, but perhaps an elephant sat on it
Old 06-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
No idea, but perhaps an elephant sat on it

is it for left vs right side install, manufacturer made one of the tubes squared part thinner the and other arm squared part is thicker.
Tube round thickness in diameter is the same between them both.

an elephants perfect shaped behind shaped the squared part perfectly on my camber tubes!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Banned

my friendly mekanik swapped my complete LCA, upper control arms, balljoints, tie rod ends, spring pads on front axle, changed to exxentric bolt kit, front swaybar bushings and he also installed my rear camber arms.
he also put 4 new Continental Sportcontact 3 tires and then made a 4 wheel adjustment.
My car is so quiet now with straight line treads on my new conti tires, my old GY F1 V tread tires was annoying when driving my car, they were noisy as hell!!!
I hated them although their V-tread design looked cool.

Funny thing about my front spring pads!
When I checked with the dealer about pad thickness they claimed I had #2 = 9mm pads.
When my mekanik swapped my front pads he noticed I already had #1 = 5 mm pads on my car from factory!!!!!!!!!!
WTF?
Only thing he did was to swap the new front pads and left the old rear ones alone.
He told me, my car NOW sits a tad higher upfront with new #1 pads and have the same height as on rear axle with old pads.
I thought my car was going to sit a bit lower with the new thinnest pads.
Now when I look at my car the front gap is a bit higher than before with old pads!!!

I might have to go with lowering springs in the near futue???
Only lowering springs suitable for euro C43's are HR's.
Are these shox the best to buy yellow KONI's, other people on this forum say Bilsten B8 SPRINT are no good for C43 they are too soft.

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 07-08-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Banned

when i start my car from cold and drive sometimes i hear a tuk tuk tuk tuk clappery sound from rear wheels which makes me think i have a flat tire?
i think it comes from the right side rear wheel?
then the sound goes away after a few minutes.
i don't know where this sound comes from?
could it be my rod ends from my adjustable camber arms?
what kind of sound do rod ends make when they go bad?

i asked my mechnic he told me it might be some kind of black rust on my rear discs?
I also thought that some gravel stones got stuck between my brakepad and rear disc but no there was no gravel stuck in there.
did anyone experiance this weird noise from camber arms or rear discs?

it drives me nuts sometimes as it sounds like a flat tire when i hear the tuk tuk tuk sound?

i don't drive my car very much, my rod ends shouldn't be worn at all or am i wrong?
do they go bad fast?

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 05-12-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 C43,99 gsxr 750
The only noise I've gotten from my speedybenz control arms are little squeaks due to forgetting to grease them once in a while. (Not sure if yours are designed similar). Does the noise increase/decrease with wheel speed?
Old 05-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Banned

yes sound did increase when i speed up.
my wheel bearings are not bad, there is no play on 110.000km's

i have never greased my rod ends.
i had my car undercoated with Dinitrol wax oil when i had my new suspension fitted 2 years ago, rust-master technician also covered my adjustable rod ends with wax oil.
could this wax oil react with rod ends self lubricating rubber?
Old 05-12-2015, 02:06 PM

98 C43,99 gsxr 750
I'm not sure about that oil. I know nothing about it.
Sorry, I should have ask that question a little better I think. Is it a steady noise that matches the the wheels rotation speed(like when a big rock or nail gets stuck in the tire)? If so, I doubt the control arms would have anything to do it since they don't rotate.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Banned

first time i noticed it was 2 years ago after i picked up my car from undercoating shop.
it gave me a sound like having a flat tire, when i speed up sound got worse.
i went home driving then i suddenly hear the clappery tuk tuk tuk sound.
i stop my car walk around her kicking my tires, they were all fine.
i go back in my car taking off, the sound comes back tuk tuk tuk from rear wheel area.
sometimes i hear it other times it's dead quiet with no tuk tuk sound.

i checked my calipers there were no rocks between pad and rotor.
what a hekk could it be if i ruled out everything else.
i told my mechanic to tighten every bolt in rear suspension, there's nuthin' loose.
he checked wheel bearings, alles gut he said.
only thing i can think of is my camber arm rod ends making clattery noise.

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 05-12-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:00 PM

98 C43,99 gsxr 750
I'll pull my c43 in the shop in a few minutes and try to get an idea of the different things that could make a noise like that. I've seen brake pads make a noise similar to what you're explaining due to the pad hardware being worn out/broken. It would allow the pad to ride on the rotor and bounce against the caliper rather than sit still in it.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:56 PM

98 C43,99 gsxr 750
I forgot are parking brakes aren't integrated into the calipers. Have you pulled the rotors and checked your parking shoes/hardware yet? Make sure nothing is loose or broken in there.
If you are able to, you could lift it on a two post lift with someone in it and put it in drive. If it makes the noise when it's in the air, it will be a lot easier to find it. You will probably have to pull the fuse or completely deactivate the abs/tcs somehow.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:39 AM
Banned

i have never swapped brake pads on rear brakes, pads are still the same when delivered from factory.
maybe my rear pads has a play inside caliper making this tuk tuk tuk flat tire sound, i dunno?

foot/handbrake shoes are still the same when delivered from factory, still have a good bite when i press the small brake pedal to the ground holding car in place.

next time when i go out with my car, i will listen to it more thorough if i hear it again?
i always have my radio on and didn't always think about the flat tire sound

thanks
Old 05-13-2015, 10:44 AM

98 C43,99 gsxr 750
Yea, between my exhaust and always having my music up, I never noticed that my central locking vacuum pump was constantly cycling due to a cracked hose. It just went out this past weekend
Old 05-13-2015, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boost_or_die
Yea, between my exhaust and always having my music up, I never noticed that my central locking vacuum pump was constantly cycling due to a cracked hose. It just went out this past weekend
did hoes detoriate from age?
i see you're in Tehas, must be very hot there, massive heat might have killed your hoes?
Old 05-13-2015, 11:55 AM

98 C43,99 gsxr 750
I found out the hard way that the vacuum lines for the seats connect at the front of the seat frame. Note to self. Don't put heavy items on the front floorboards that can slide around while driving. (pretty sure that is what caused it)
All of the lines are in really good shape actually. No sign of deterioration found yet. The car actually spent most of its life around Washington DC. I picked it up when I was living in South Carolina. Only been in TX for a year.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:36 PM
Banned

try to find a CL pump on Ebay, buying new is very steep
Old 05-14-2015, 11:30 AM
Banned

drove my car today.
i didn't hear that annoying flat tire tuk tuk sound.
it was all silent besides the normal road noise from my tires.

this means i can rule out my camber arm rod ends.
it can't be the wheel bearings either.
if the tuk tuk sound comes back it has to be something with my rear brake?
Old 05-15-2015, 09:24 AM

98 C43,99 gsxr 750
It may be a few different things, but I would check for play in the pads/hardware first. I just got my drilled/slotted rotors and pads for the rear last night. When I put them them on today, I'll check to see how much,if any, up and down play is in my pads.
I have had a few CV axles make a clicking noise while going straight, but the noise was always there until I replaced it. Your noise is definitely a weird problem.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:33 AM
Banned

went for another drive today, there was no strange sound from rear.
it has to be random, maybe something weird going on with my rear brakes as I have never touched them since I bought my car 10 years ago?
i don't think they were ever checked?

i have to ask my tech if he inspected and greased them up on last service?
Old 05-16-2015, 12:16 PM

98 C43,99 gsxr 750
I had no play in my pads. The way our calipers/brakes are designed, I don't know if it would even be possible for them to make that type of noise unless something were to be broken.

Hopefully, what ever was causing that noise fixed it's self,lol.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:29 PM
Banned

so there is no way pads can play inside calipers?

maybe i had some blackrust between rotor and pads giving me this tuk tuk sound?
Old 05-16-2015, 01:26 PM

98 C43,99 gsxr 750
The clearances between the edge of the pads and the caliper are nearly nil. Unlike most caliper designs, these don't have any hardware between the top/bottom of the pads and caliper. So, any up and down movement is pretty much impossible (unless you were to have the wrong pads).
Any front to back movement of the pads would be caused by severely worn out/broken retaining(?) spring or a broken pin. The spring holds pressure against the brake pins and pads, keeping the pads from moving front to back.
Lastly, and I should have thought of this before, excessive in and out movement of the pads. The only thing I can think of that would cause that is a sticking caliper piston. One of the pistons could have been sticking after letting it sit for a few days (or longer). As you drove it and used your brakes, the piston may have loosened up causing the noise to go away. Now that you have been driving it more frequently, it may not be sitting long enough to stick. That's my only logical explanation for now. Other than that, I'm at a loss. hahaha
Old 05-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Banned

i don't drive my car very much, yesterday i hit 110000km's.
during winter she's tucked away in my garage for approx 6-7 months.

sometimes i brake hard randomly to make the brakes work properly.
maybe this cured my annoying sound?
it's very important to brake hard after a rain or after a carwash to dry the brakes.

it might be a good idea to get new pads and mounting kit for rear brakes, i don't think they were ever touched or lubricated?

thanks for your help
Old 05-17-2015, 04:05 PM

98 C43,99 gsxr 750
No problem, man
Old 06-02-2015, 02:07 AM
Banned

a few days ago, I removed my rear bench seat/side supports for annual leather reconditioning.
I went for a spin and I heard the dreaded tuk tuk noise comming back for a few minutes then it all went away?
Yesterday I went out for another drive, same shiet happend again!
WTF, is this?!
I'm going nuts hearing this sound!

without rear seat and side supports, you hear all tire road noise inside the cabin.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally got my import camber arms