C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Looking for a clean C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 370z
Looking for a clean C43

I've been searching for a clean C43 in FL and figured I would post here and see if there are any around the forum. I currently drive a 2013 370z and have been considering something new for awhile. Also, is there anything in particular I should look for when searching for a good one? The car would DD to work which is about 15 miles each way.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
99 c43,90 mustang gt supercharged convertible,07 acura tl type s, Hummer H3t pickup
Originally Posted by Kram_CFL
I've been searching for a clean C43 in FL and figured I would post here and see if there are any around the forum. I currently drive a 2013 370z and have been considering something new for awhile. Also, is there anything in particular I should look for when searching for a good one? The car would DD to work which is about 15 miles each way.
So you are planning on going from a 13' 370z to a 15 year old benz? Will this be your only car? Look for maintenance records...make sure tranny has been looked after REGULARLY,PRONE TO FAILURE.Rust also lower fender area,front control arms.Some parts are very expensive on these exclusive AMG's.Try and find the cleanest,well maintained example.Much better in the long run.They are quick fun cars,if you want to fly under the radar and be somewhat stealth these are for you.Just don't expect performance anywhere near your Z.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 286 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
In ablut 10-15 years youll wish you drove the 370z as your daily not the 43....if you get one

Good luck on your search. I never had any major problems on my car since I owned it. Its been a very reliable car k ock on wood.

Make sure the tranny shifts normally. Other than that they are bullet proof
Old 03-22-2015, 08:05 PM

'13 370z
Thanks for the replies. Replacement transmission costly? I'm not expecting performance to be the same, just have always like C36s and 43s. I think their design will stand the test of time.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:14 PM

99 c43,90 mustang gt supercharged convertible,07 acura tl type s, Hummer H3t pickup
Thanks for the replies. Replacement transmission costly? I'm not expecting performance to be the same, just have always like C36s and 43s. I think their design will stand the test of time.
Yes figure around 3k. Yes timeless design and interiors over built, last forever.I love mine will never sell it.I Have two cars that are my toys and a daily.The 43 is absoloutly fine as a DD.I just don't dd mine,its too nice lol.

Last edited by 99CEEFOURTHREE; 03-22-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:42 PM

'13 370z
Originally Posted by 99CEEFOURTHREE
Yes figure around 3k. Yes timeless design and interiors over built, last forever.I love mine will never sell it.I Have two cars that are my toys and a daily.The 43 is absoloutly fine as a DD.I just don't dd mine,its too nice lol.
I would DD it for the long term, maybe for a year or so before it starts splitting time with another toy.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Transmission is not prone to failure at all as long as it was serviced normally. Some early examples fell victim to the false "lifetime transmission fluid" b.s. MB was putting out. At this point, those have all LONG since been replaced or rebuilt. When's the last time anyone heard of a C43 or w210 E55 needing a transmission? I can't even recall there being a thread here.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:56 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2006 E55 AMG/1996 C36 AMG/1999 C43/55 AMG
Originally Posted by Sulaco
Transmission is not prone to failure at all as long as it was serviced normally. Some early examples fell victim to the false "lifetime transmission fluid" b.s. MB was putting out. At this point, those have all LONG since been replaced or rebuilt. When's the last time anyone heard of a C43 or w210 E55 needing a transmission? I can't even recall there being a thread here.
+1

Well said!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:41 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
I'd go for it. Like others have said, don't believe all the transmission talk. That is purely internet hype, these cars have very good transmissions. If they get replaced it's because the shop doesn't know how to fix it and is trying to cash in on you. I do all the trans work at my dealer and I have dealt with MANY cars in with replaced trans from indy shops and there is no way they needed a trans. They never do actually. I can only think of one time telling someone they needed a .6 trans replaced but that was due to car sitting in a field forever and internally was all rusted up and wasn't worth salvaging.

There aren't really any exclusive parts on a c43 from a regular Mercedes that will be more costly.

For what it's worth, coworker has a brand new 370z nismo and thought he had something for my c43 (with 55 swap). We finally went out on the highway one day after happy hour, let me tell you, the c-class completely destroyed that car, it wasn't even a race. We went 5 or 6 times from different speeds. I'm talking bus lengths, no joke.

Plus the quality of vehicle is more and the ride is much better also, braking is easily as good. Very nice quality cars that are also comfortable and affordable. w202 is one of the hidden great daily driving cars out there that very few people even know about. Jap cars cannot compete with Mercedes.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:16 PM

99 c43 amg
I would DD it for the long term, maybe for a year or so before it starts splitting time with another toy.

hey man. Im an MB tech at the Hilton Head, SC dealer about 2 hrs from Jacksonville, fl. I have a clean 1999 c43 w/175k with a 140k/55 engine swapped may be looking to part with. every seal gasket timing chain all replaced. no oil leaks, lowered on h&rs, 15% tint all around, 50% on entire front window, door handles color matched, 18in monos(have stock 17's too) second cat and res deleted. c55 bigger front calipers and rotors, all problematic parts replaced in transmission. serviced extensively, benzslo is right about these transmissions. I do a lot of trans work at my dealer and have seen only a couple .6's get replaced and that was due to lack of maintenance etc. electric connector, shift control module, trans conductor plate all new, trans control unit has never had fluid leak into it. crank sensor, mass air flow etc all new. new radiator, thermostat, water pump, coolant reservoir, new steering shock, ball joints, control arm bushings etc,pretty much everything new. probably tons of stuff im missing. ive put a lot of time and labor in this thing. and everything is done right. no warning lights at all, engine is strong. can do rolling burnouts in first, tires brake loose in 2nd. stomps trailblazer SS's lol. cruise control, a/c and heat, pneumatic, heated seats all work. nothing wrong with car, have driven every day for over 3 years and never had a problem. got it with 120k and completely stock. just thinking it might be time for a new project.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c43amgN843
hey man. Im an MB tech at the Hilton Head, SC dealer about 2 hrs from Jacksonville, fl. I have a clean 1999 c43 w/175k with a 140k/55 engine swapped may be looking to part with. every seal gasket timing chain all replaced. no oil leaks, lowered on h&rs, 15% tint all around, 50% on entire front window, door handles color matched, 18in monos(have stock 17's too) second cat and res deleted. c55 bigger front calipers and rotors, all problematic parts replaced in transmission. serviced extensively, benzslo is right about these transmissions. I do a lot of trans work at my dealer and have seen only a couple .6's get replaced and that was due to lack of maintenance etc. electric connector, shift control module, trans conductor plate all new, trans control unit has never had fluid leak into it. crank sensor, mass air flow etc all new. new radiator, thermostat, water pump, coolant reservoir, new steering shock, ball joints, control arm bushings etc,pretty much everything new. probably tons of stuff im missing. ive put a lot of time and labor in this thing. and everything is done right. no warning lights at all, engine is strong. can do rolling burnouts in first, tires brake loose in 2nd. stomps trailblazer SS's lol. cruise control, a/c and heat, pneumatic, heated seats all work. nothing wrong with car, have driven every day for over 3 years and never had a problem. got it with 120k and completely stock. just thinking it might be time for a new project.
I found it hard to finish reading this post with such a massive erection
Old 03-24-2015, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by benzslo
I'd go for it. Like others have said, don't believe all the transmission talk. That is purely internet hype, these cars have very good transmissions. If they get replaced it's because the shop doesn't know how to fix it and is trying to cash in on you. I do all the trans work at my dealer and I have dealt with MANY cars in with replaced trans from indy shops and there is no way they needed a trans. They never do actually. I can only think of one time telling someone they needed a .6 trans replaced but that was due to car sitting in a field forever and internally was all rusted up and wasn't worth salvaging.

There aren't really any exclusive parts on a c43 from a regular Mercedes that will be more costly.

For what it's worth, coworker has a brand new 370z nismo and thought he had something for my c43 (with 55 swap). We finally went out on the highway one day after happy hour, let me tell you, the c-class completely destroyed that car, it wasn't even a race. We went 5 or 6 times from different speeds. I'm talking bus lengths, no joke.

Plus the quality of vehicle is more and the ride is much better also, braking is easily as good. Very nice quality cars that are also comfortable and affordable. w202 is one of the hidden great daily driving cars out there that very few people even know about. Jap cars cannot compete with Mercedes.

Totally agree with everything said.

ive owned nothing but w202s. Great cars man. Just the right amount of electronic aids. Not overengineered

if there are w202s that need extra care, they have to be the early 95-96 m104 straight motors.

They tend to overheat and the wiring harness eventually crumbles into pieces.

You simply cant go wrong with a c43. Its a bargain of the century right now
Old 03-24-2015, 02:23 PM

99 c43 amg
Haha. I also have pics on this forum but can send more.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:33 PM

99 c43 amg

she is pretty sexy
Old 03-25-2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by benzslo

There aren't any exclusive parts on a c43 from a regular Mercedes that will be more costly? Have you checked on a set of Xenon headlights lately? How about Front bumpers? Side skirts and rear bumpers? That's just touching the surface
Old 03-25-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 C63 P31 LSD-Current: My past 1999 C43, 2004 Clk55, 1999 C280 sport, 1995 C280
The handling is not going to be as sporty as your 370z, Ive also had 3 W202's, They are probably one of the greatest built cars for the money. When you throw the C43 in the mix, that just makes the W202 feel even more special. When I drive a different car..and then drive my C43 after that, it becomes very apparent why they are such great cars. You wont regret getting one, just find a well sorted one, lots of little things can add up quick on these cars.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hookah
The handling is not going to be as sporty as your 370z, Ive also had 3 W202's, They are probably one of the greatest built cars for the money. When you throw the C43 in the mix, that just makes the W202 feel even more special. When I drive a different car..and then drive my C43 after that, it becomes very apparent why they are such great cars. You wont regret getting one, just find a well sorted one, lots of little things can add up quick on these cars.
My wife owns a 2001 is 300 lexus which is a great little car. Honestly in many ways its better than a 202. Its built well and the ride is amazing but when I sit into my 43 after driving her car its a whole different world. It feels more solid, tight, and grounded for some reason. Even after my 2000 c280, the 43 is a whole different car. More sporty feel to it definitely
Old 03-26-2015, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 99CEEFOURTHREE
There aren't any exclusive parts on a c43 from a regular Mercedes that will be more costly? Have you checked on a set of Xenon headlights lately? How about Front bumpers? Side skirts and rear bumpers? That's just touching the surface
The only exclusive, hard to find parts? You just listed all of them. Except the headlights. Any w202 xenons are the same, and they are stupidly expensive (been hunting a replacement lens for a YEAR that costs less than $370).

But the bumpers and sideskirts are the only hard to find and hard to replace parts. Every single other part on this car was standard on a w202 or w210.

The front rotors are crazy expensive, but as we've covered here there are replacements out there (06 C230 Sport rotors are almost exact replacement, no mods needed, considerably cheaper plus drilled/slotted).
Old 04-04-2015, 01:28 PM

'13 370z
Originally Posted by c43amgN843
More miles than I was originally looking for, but I could be interested. When are you putting it up for sale?
Old 04-22-2015, 09:16 AM

'13 370z
Bump
Old 04-22-2015, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bump
Not to tell you what to do, but I think you underestimated the car c43amgN843 is selling.

For one thing, miles don't affect these cars the way they do most. Would you like to see pics of the interior of my 99 with 290k miles? It's indistinguishable from one with 25k miles.

But most importantly, c43amgN843 is an expert who has put a LOT of time, effort, and money into making sure his car is top-notch. If I could sell both my cars in time, I'd buy his in a heartbeat.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:25 AM

'13 370z
Originally Posted by Sulaco
Not to tell you what to do, but I think you underestimated the car c43amgN843 is selling.

For one thing, miles don't affect these cars the way they do most. Would you like to see pics of the interior of my 99 with 290k miles? It's indistinguishable from one with 25k miles.

But most importantly, c43amgN843 is an expert who has put a LOT of time, effort, and money into making sure his car is top-notch. If I could sell both my cars in time, I'd buy his in a heartbeat.
I agree 100%! Unfortunately it seems as if that car was sold since thread has been quiet ever since he had a buyer lined up. I had asked about interior photos and after it was stated that someone was ready to purchase...If I would have lived closer, I would have drove out to see it in person but since Orlando to South Carolina is a long drive, I wanted to see more photos first.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:37 PM

1998 C-43
Kram; I am new to this site, but I have an '98 C-43 with 123,000 miles, which is in very, very nice shape. It runs like a banshee, due to an excellent mechanic. I have had it for four years and have replaced all plugs, wires, condenser, compressor, etc., all parts from Germany through port of California. Normal wear and tear to the paint, but still shines and it has been garaged since I've had it. Problem is, I'm in PA, not Florida. You can call if you want to discuss, 610-730-3545; have family situations and health issues which make it a good time for me to move on.