C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Vibration on highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W202 C55 (5.4 swapped C43)
Vibration on highway

Hey guys trying to figure out what is causing some pretty bad vibration only on the highway.
This started after getting some tires taken off / new ones put on and replacing my rear guibo. both were done same day.
When i'm driving below 50, flooring it, braking or anything else the car feels completely normal, once I reach about 45-50+ miles an hour the car starts to vibrate fairly violently. It almost feels like it vibrates 3 times then stops then 3 times then stops over and over again.
At first I thought maybe something wasn't lined up or bolted correctly with the rear gubio but after double checking everything appeared to be normal also I feel like the problem would be felt at any speed if it was driveshaft related.
My second thought was that the wheels must not be balanced, went to my local tire shop that told me all the weights had fallen off one of my front wheels. Thought that was definitely the problem but the car feels absolutely no different.

Any thoughts? Thanks
-Dom
Old 09-15-2016, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
I have the same issue. I havent resolved it since i dont drive the amg as much and its above highway speeds.

Its not a constant vibration its like a hearth beat kindof thing and between each vibration the tires probably spin many times at that speed. This is telling me its not the tires.

Whats a guibo?
Old 09-15-2016, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
1999 AMG C43
I've got a tiny bump coming from my front end, not even noticeable. Probably tire or rim related in my case.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by PJmak
I have the same issue. I havent resolved it since i dont drive the amg as much and its above highway speeds.

Its not a constant vibration its like a hearth beat kindof thing and between each vibration the tires probably spin many times at that speed. This is telling me its not the tires.

Whats a guibo?
Damn, the guibo was the rear rubber flex disc on the drive shaft but when that went it was a constant feeling at any speed thats why I don't think it has to do with that

Originally Posted by mickey13
I've got a tiny bump coming from my front end, not even noticeable. Probably tire or rim related in my case.
I see, yeah my first thought was tire / wheel but still nothing, going to try putting two completely difference wheels on up front and see if it rides any different
Old 09-15-2016, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would imagine the flex disc has to be properly aligned?

I had someone replace mine a long time ago.

When was the last time you did wheel bearings?
Old 09-16-2016, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C36
I have a C280 which had a vibration between 55-70mph. a Wheel balance only solved for the problem a few days. Different AMG wheels resulting in the same vibration. I changed the wheels bearings, control arm bushings, and steering damper all to no avail. I simply lived wit the issue until one day a clear knocking noise developed in the front end. Upon inspection the rear control arm mount had cracked and was allowing some movement under load. Once I had this repaired, not only was the knocking noise gone but the vibration completely disappeared. Kind of a long shot but I would inspect the control arm mounting points.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If the exclamination marks below represented vibration in the road then this is how it would feel

Between the exclamination marks the car will cover a couple car lengths without vibrating. If it was a tire or wheel issue I think it would be constant.

.....!!!!!!!................!!!!!!!!.............. ..!!!!!!!!!..........

Constant vibration below i fuess would be

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that how yours behaved?
Old 09-16-2016, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mine does it between 65-80 mph id say but its not very violent. Just enough to be noticeable by driver and passanger
Old 09-16-2016, 07:51 PM

If the exclamination marks below represented vibration in the road then this is how it would feel

Between the exclamination marks the car will cover a couple car lengths without vibrating. If it was a tire or wheel issue I think it would be constant.

.....!!!!!!!................!!!!!!!!.............. ..!!!!!!!!!..........

Constant vibration below i fuess would be

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that how yours behaved?
Mine does it between 65-80 mph id say but its not very violent. Just enough to be noticeable by driver and passanger

Ahh I see yeah I had a buddy ride in it yesterday and its definitely noticeable from the passenger seat as well, I wouldnt say it goes a few car lengths in between vibration its like
!!!-!!!-!!!-!!!-!!!-!!!-

Ill take a short video and text it over to you after work