Old 02-26-2015, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Top Gear takes a spin in the C63 S

Top Gear Reviews the W205 C63 S (2/26/15):

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/m...ive-2015-02-26

"What's this, then?

It's the new Mercedes-AMG C63 S, a subtle name change to reflect the super-saloon's subtle new styling. In fact, this C63 is hardly more aggressive than any C-Class busied up with a few choice AMG styling touches.

But when you look a bit closer, there are tell-tales that this is a bit more than a C250 CDi with swanky wheels. First up, there are a couple of AMG powerdomes on the bonnet, and a front bumper with a pair of massive airdams through which you can see nothing but radiator - always a good sign.

Then there are front wings gently flared to cover a wider track, and the cars sits low but not ridiculously so on 19-inch rims - 18s on the standard car. Front and rear are linked by a set of subtle sill extensions, and there's an almost vestigial stub of a rear spoiler on the bootlid with a pair of rectangular exhausts either side of the rear valance.

Yes, there are a few ‘V8 Biturbo' badges knocking about, but visually lairy, this is not. It is, however, one of those quiet, bookish types who happens to be a part-time ninja.

How so?

Well, under the bonnet of this sober-looking saloon is a wet-sumped version of the AMG GT sports car's 4.0 V8 Biturbo (their codenames are only one digit apart, being 'M177' and ‘M178').

That means 510bhp and 516lb ft for the ‘S' we have here, 476bhp and 480lb ft as a standard C63. Rest to 62mph is dealt with in four seconds flat, and the car is limited to 155mph. Which - on paper at least - makes it a proper thundersaloon.

What about the chassis?

This is a proper re-working rather than an enhancement of a top-end Merc. The front suspension consists of four links and a wider track than the previous generation C63, the rear a similarly slightly fatter-tracked traditional multi-link with independent mounts.

Both ends are tied together by AMG's electronically-controlled ride-control system, offering three strata of firmness: comfort, sport and sport+, accessed from a series of buttons around the touchpad controller. The S also gets a further option in the COMAND system called ‘Race', that allows the driver to play with the various functions (engine response, damping, ‘box and exhaust) to optimise their own preferred set-up, linked to an S-specific electronic rear differential.

And the transmission?

It's Merc's ‘AMG SpeedShift MCT-7', but uprated to punt out what the company refers to as ‘significantly quicker shift times'. The standard car gets a straight mechanical locking rear diff, and the S gets that electronic version which apparently reacts a little quicker and adds a level of finesse when matched to the bespoke modes in the Race function.

Other fun stuff includes a Race Start function (left-foot brake in either Sport+ or Race, pull both paddles, acknowledge by pulling the right hand paddle, floor the accelerator and lift brake), which gives picture-perfect starts every time.

Also, there's the usual suite of traction and stability controls to keep everything pointing in vaguely the desired direction, a completely re-worked set of complicated algorithms that mean that the C63 should help you be a hero without feeling patronised.

Does it work?

Oh yes. The engine feels barely turbocharged, with a delivery that is elastic, responsive and hammer effective. There's a vague feeling that there's too much torque in the mid-range for a normally-aspirated car, and there's a faint turbo whistle, but it really does just feel like a car with a much bigger, non-turbo motor.

What that means is that it reacts faithfully to the throttle, every time. No muss, no fuss. Of course, you can play with the way it delivers its power via the various modes, but it's never anything short of impressive.

How does it sound?

Magnificent. The C63 warbles away like sub-bass through a thin wall at idle, and then sonically transforms into a howling bass at full throttle in Race and Sport+. It also does the most delicious backfires and crackles on the overrun - and unlike some manufacturers who ‘engineer in' identical off-throttle cackling that sounds the same every time (and hence makes you feel a little hoodwinked), the new C63 has a full range of spits, gobbles, cracks and bangs.

Can it go round corners?

It can. This isn't just a C with a big motor dropped into it. There's sophistication running through the whole thing. The ride is firm - even in Comfort mode - but the staging is well-judged to the point where you really can drive it in Sport+ without needing to be on a track.

And when you really start to drive hard, the car immediately comes with you. Turn-in is sharp rather than darty, and the C doesn't seem to lean - just like the AMG GT, it features active engine mounts that slacken to reduce vibration and NVH from the engine/gearbox combo during cruising, and tighten during more committed driving to improve response.

It basically reduces disturbing inertia in the oily bits during cornering, leading to a more instant-feeling response from the steering wheel. Result? You can pick a line and stick with it without constantly second-guessing the balance between under and oversteer.

The gearbox is quick, although not quite as slick as a DSG, but is regular and useful and predictable, even when it shifts itself rather than using the paddles.

Will it drift?

Delete the electronic minders and there's plenty of slewing about like a hooligan to be had if you desire, but the C63 rewards tidiness more than anything. And if you really just want to smoke antisocially, it will also do quite ridiculous rolling burnouts.

I know it's pointless, but interesting that AMG still let you take the reins if you want to be silly. It's a real feel-good car, and I think even more so when you get out of it and realise it just looks so normal. I hesitate to use the word ‘boring', but there's a defined under-the-radar vibe to this car.

It has good brakes, too. Just in case you get too enthusiastic, which you probably will. Try 390mm discs at the front and barely smaller 360mm discs on the rear. I would, however, option the carbon ceramics if you like going fast or intend any sort of track work - on our test route we managed to sort of set fire to the optional set-up, so I doubt the steel stoppers will be better.

What's it like on the inside?

Special without being gaudy or overdone. There's a flat-bottomed, slightly too-thick steering wheel, fabulous deep, contoured seats and lots of little carbon and AMG touches that make the car feel reassuringly expensive. Top options include lovely Burmester surround-sound audio, an even louder variable AMG sports exhaust, head-up display and intelligent LED headlights.

There's also an ‘Edition 1' variant for the UK, which costs Ł73,500 and gets bespoke finishes and extra bobbins. Basically it's a gussied-up S to celebrate the launch of the car.

Another little kicker comes in the shape of the C63 Estate from Ł60,995. Just about the perfect size, pretty much all of the performance (same top speed, only 0.1 seconds added to either model's 0-62mph time, less than 1mpg less efficient) and even less likely to attract attention, it's a properly attractive semi-sleeper. But we've always been suckers for a fast wagon here at Top Gear.

Is it, um, economical?

Officially, the new engine is a third more efficient than the old 6.2-litre naturally-aspirated V8 in the previous generation C-class. That's impressive, and apparently provides the new C63 with the ability to do nearly 35mpg driven carefully. For a car with more than 500bhp, that's extraordinary. Also pretty unlikely - we got around 25mpg.

Should I buy one?

The obvious competition comes in the shape of BMW's M3, and I have to say that, for me, the C63 is a better car. More duality, more confidence, all of the performance. But when you have a car that's subtle-but-good-looking, an absolute joy to drive quickly without scaring you witless, capable of carrying the family and putting the wind up a serious sports car, you know you've got a winner."
Old 02-26-2015, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
Sounds good to me. LOL
Old 02-26-2015, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 CLA 45AMG , 2015 C63 (W205)
Originally Posted by JPMBenz
Sounds good to me. LOL
people have stuff to say about this on F80post too. ****s getting crazy over there. might take a break from commenting on it. so many reviewers are picking the C63 and i think that is getting them all angry and defensive
Old 02-26-2015, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by amanuuh
people have stuff to say about this on F80post too. ****s getting crazy over there. might take a break from commenting on it. so many reviewers are picking the C63 and i think that is getting them all angry and defensive
I'm done with that thread. I have nothing more to say to be honest. I am big boy believe me but there is no reason to down play what I said.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by amanuuh
. . . so many reviewers are picking the C63 . . .
And they're not obscure sources either. Motor Authority, Top Gear, Car & Driver, etc. Harris is on the fence.

I love my W204 but have no problem admitting the W205 is a more well-rounded, more luxurious, and more technologically advanced car.

That's the great thing about liking multiple cars though, I can be happy for the W205 and still enjoy my car in the meantime. Wild strategy, I know.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Automobile Magazine's take:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...mg-c63-review/

"The speedometer reads 152 mph as the end of the front straight of the Autódromo Internacional do Algarve rockets toward us like a 1,000-foot cliff. And still the guy behind the wheel stays flat on the gas. Wile E. Coyote time? Not at all. First, the man who’s put me in this seemingly terminal predicament is Bernd Schneider, ex-Formula 1 pilot, five-time winner of the German Touring Car Championship, a driver who can handle a car like van Gogh cajoled a brush.

Second, we’re in the new 2015 Mercedes-AMG C63 S, a four-door passenger sedan, true, but a machine rife with race-bred DNA. A split-second later, seemingly too late to save us, Schneider hammers the huge carbon-ceramic binders. We body-blow against our seatbelts, and the C63S rips across the apex of Turn 1 in a balletic slide. Frankly, I’m surprised the two of us don’t just burst out laughing -- that’s how much ridiculous fun this is.

You already know the new Mercedes-Benz C-Class is good: The car easily notched a place on our 2015 All-Stars roster last fall. But what you couldn’t have known is how much potential was built into the basic architecture -- and how much the wizards at AMG would wring out of it. The new C63 and its more performance-attuned sibling, the C63 S, are deadly threats to the new BMW M3. Yeah, they’re that impressive.

Pure muscle is part of it. Under the hood lies a twin-turbo, direct-injection 4.0-liter V-8, each one hand-built by a single AMG technician from start to finish. The engine is nearly identical to the unit powering the 2016 Mercedes-AMG GT sports car, the only difference being a wet-sump oil system replacing the GT’s dry sump. In the C63 the V-8 is good for 469 hp (44 hp more than the M3) and 479 pound-feet of torque (73 lb-ft more).

The more highly pressurized C63 S delivers an even loftier 503 hp and 516 lb-ft. It’s a beauteous powerplant, too, with the two turbos neatly nestled in a “hot” configuration within the engine’s V (making for a considerably narrower package). Yet despite the engine’s brawn, AMG says it’s the most fuel-efficient high-performance eight-cylinder in the world. Compared with the previous naturally aspirated, 6.3-liter V-8 in the old C63, fuel economy has improved by a claimed 32 percent.

Shifting is handled by a seven-speed AMG Speedshift automatic that replaces the conventional torque converter with a wet startup clutch for improved responsiveness. Three increasingly aggressive shift modes are standard (Controlled Efficiency, Sport, and Sport+) while the 2015 Mercedes-AMG C63 S adds a Race program that shifts fastest of all. Big aluminum paddles on the steering wheel allow easy manual gear selection, though of course fully automated shifting is also available at the touch of a console button.

Underneath lies a new AMG adaptive suspension prioritized for handling precision and grip. The track, both front and rear, is wider than the standard C-Class, while the various pieces are crafted with lots of lightweight aluminum. The C63 benefits from a rear mechanical limited slip, and the C63 S gets an electronic rear locking diff. Four driving modes allow for easy customization of steering response, throttle aggressiveness, and chassis stiffness. The C63 S again adds a Race mode for track laps.

The cockpit is an attractive blend of leather, aluminum, and gloss-black trim. An excellent three-spoke leather performance wheel -- standard on the C63 S -- dominates the driver’s position, while the center console is set off by a large, iPad-like LCD display jutting from the dash. Options include carbon-fiber cabin accents and performance seats.

AMG has smartly allowed separate adjustments of everything from the driving mode, shift settings, and damper stiffness, enabling easy customization of the car to your exact tastes. Driving on a bumpy road but still want aggressive manual shifts? No problem: Set the chassis to Comfort and the tranny to Sport+. I must admit, though, I had no fondness for the “mouse-like” central controller that operates such functions as navigation and the Burmester surround-sound audio system. It’s fussy and overly sensitive, making seemingly simple tasks such as turning the nav voice on and off a pain.

It was a C63 S that I drove around Portugal’s Autódromo Internacional do Algarve -- a k a the Portimao Formula 1 test circuit -- and, man, the thing is beastly. And sweet. There’s so much torque gushing to the rear wheels, I had to step on the throttle as if it were a sleeping crocodile -- or watch the back end swing off toward Lisbon. (Later, back in the pits, I asked AMG chairman Tobias Moers if he and his engineers ever considered all-wheel drive. “No,” he replied with a huge smile. “We wanted the C63 to be fun.”) Yes, even in Race mode, some traction control steps in to keep the tail from committing outright felonies, but this is one playful chassis. Do not think for a moment I’m saying that’s a bad thing.

The standard speed-sensitive electromechanical steering is outstanding, providing lots of cornering and road feel, especially in Sport+ and Race modes. The 2015 Mercedes-AMG C63 S complements the steering system with standard dynamic engine mounts that adapt their stiffness depending on how the car is being driven -- reducing vibrations and further improving handling response by helping control the engine’s mass in turns.

Driving the C63 S around the track what’s inescapable is that fabulous V-8 working up front. The thrust is delicious (AMG claims 0 to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds for the C63 S, 4.0 for the C63), and the sound is glorious. Depending on the driving mode, a flap in the forward third of the exhaust system opens to send Maximum Bellow howling out the tailpipes. (Under more restrained throttle, the engine is quite subdued.) AMG claims the C63 S will keep on gunning until reaching an electronic limiter at 180 mph. (The C63 tops out at 155 mph.) As mentioned at the outset, the optional carbon-ceramic binders (not available on the C63) have zero trouble hauling the car down from outrageous velocities.

A drive in the standard C63 in the hills around Faro, Portugal, amply demonstrates the ease at which the car eats up twisting roads and highways alike. Also notable is an excellent optional head-up display that shows speed, rpm, and more. This is a comfortable, handsome, neatly sized car with performance to burn. I have to wonder, though, if most buyers won’t simply make the leap straight to the full-on C63 S. AMG hasn’t yet announced pricing, but figure about $63,000 or so base for the C63 and $73K for the C63 S. For the extra dough, the S offers more power, dynamic engine mounts, 19-inch alloys (versus 18s on the C63), the electronic rear diff, Nappa leather, and available carbon-ceramic brakes.

Either way, though, it’s clear that the new BMW M3 is on notice. With more power and far dressier cabins, both new AMG models have the goods. Expect the streets to heat up when the new toys from Affalterbach arrive on our shores this spring. Meantime, a thorough AMG versus BMW comparison test is headed your way soon."
Old 02-27-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Range Rover Sport Supercharged - Porsche Caymen S - Motorcycles
I'm quite happy with the reviews. This car is exactly what I was looking for.