C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

I dropped of my 09 C63 to install the Media Interface Plus today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 C63
I dropped of my 09 C63 to install the Media Interface Plus today...

... and it could not be done because they said it was not compatible, why is that? Can I get it done from an independent service?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:18 PM

2009 C63 AMG
If you want to use the MIP in a MY2009 US Spec W204, then you'll have to retrofit the Universal Communications Interface or Media Interface into the vehicle. The UCI interfaces with the fiber MOST system. I have a retrofit kit on order and will be installing it within the next couple of weeks as soon as I get it. I talked to a local Mercedes dealership and they will code the audio unit and upgrade any firmware for me free of charge to enable the UCI interface. After that I can plug in the MIP as the car will have the correct connector in the glove box. During the retrofit I will remove the iPod kit from the vehicle since the UCI provides that interface on both the cluster and COMAND.

I'm also going to investigate if an upgraded Sirius interface can be installed with the UCI (it's interfaced into the MOST system as well) to enable live traffic. That's not a huge priority for me, however there has to be a way to enable it.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
@unixadm - do you mind me asking what MB is charging you for this upgrade? i was considering it....but i figured it would be cost prohibitive for me..... thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by eagle_lex
@unixadm - do you mind me asking what MB is charging you for this upgrade? i was considering it....but i figured it would be cost prohibitive for me..... thanks in advance.
MB isn't doing the upgrade for me. What MB will do is code my audio control unit and update any firmware for me for free. I just emailed a service advisor at a local dealer, said I would like to build a relationship with him to ensure quality service on my car, and he responded that he would take care of my warranty issues and the programming to enable the UCI for free. I was expecting to pay an hours labor, so this was a better deal.

I bought my kit from Comand Online and they are located in the UK. I talked with one of their directors there and they indicated the LHD kit they offered would work in the US spec W204. With the cable kit, pulling hooks, UCI kit, and shipping, the total was $700 USD. I can buy the MIP for a little under $300. I figure I can get around $100 for the OEM iPod interface if nothing else, $50. Programming will be free. I'm doing the installation myself since I'm no stranger to automotive electronics. So all told with the MIP, around a grand.

I'm researching the Sirius tuner to see if there is a difference between 2009 and 2010 in the US spec cars. I'd like to get live traffic working if possible while I've got the dash apart.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
As far as I can tell, there is no difference between the 09 and 10 model years with regards to the command system. My guess is that MB does not want to do it based on policy, whatever HQ dictated, as my understanding is that the 09 Canadian spec with command did have the media interface upgrade.

Obviously, based on your userid, your an IT person.. in this industry.. we like to call that planned obsolescence, ie.. if you want that feature.. time to buy a new device (or car in this case)...
Old 03-08-2011, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Mercedes compatibility chart stated that MY09 must have the option 518 which is the iPod Integration Kit along with the Multi-Media Package. Then a later compatibility chart came out, and it said MY10-11, so I can see where the confusion is coming from. I currently have it installed on my 2010 C63, and it works like a charm, although the email and text feature isn't supported by my iPhone.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
Damn - I was really disappointed when I found out that my '09 was not compatible for the media interface. I'd like to see how this retrofit works for you...although IMO $1K is a pretty steep price to pay for this particular upgrade.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
For me, this was just plug and play. After the initial pairings were done, I was streaming bluetooth from Pandora in no time. Downloading the contact list was a pain but eventually I got it to work. I couldn't be more happier with it, although the email and text isn't supported by Apple. But if you have a Blackberry then your good to go.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Yuille36
For me, this was just plug and play. After the initial pairings were done, I was streaming bluetooth from Pandora in no time. Downloading the contact list was a pain but eventually I got it to work. I couldn't be more happier with it, although the email and text isn't supported by Apple. But if you have a Blackberry then your good to go.

Same boat as me. I wonder when/if MB is going to update that.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:46 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by BK63amg
Damn - I was really disappointed when I found out that my '09 was not compatible for the media interface. I'd like to see how this retrofit works for you...although IMO $1K is a pretty steep price to pay for this particular upgrade.
I don't want just the MIP, I want the iPod control on COMAND as well, and USB. It's not cheap, however compared to some of the add-ons for this car, it's not all that bad. I'll post up a thread when I do the install so people have a path to follow as the information on this forum regarding this is a bit hit and miss.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
you'll need the comand update too, ipod sound like chit in these cars without the volume booster for the AUX...never used it since the first month
Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by GHAZAN
you'll need the comand update too, ipod sound like chit in these cars without the volume booster for the AUX...never used it since the first month
Yeah, that and switch between surround sound and heavy up the rear speakers. I need to change it every so often or I get sick of it.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 4matic
i think $1k would be worth it if i can get traffic to work also..
Old 03-08-2011, 11:31 PM

2009 C63 AMG
I'll let you know on traffic. I'm trying to get some part number comparisons done to see what components if any differ but I don't have any contacts in a Benz part department. Just to clarify it's $700 to add the UCI if you can get a dealer to program the audio control unit for free and also upgrade COMAND. El Dorado Mercedes Benz in El Dorado, CA will do that for me.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:22 AM

2009 C63 AMG
I installed the Universal Communications Interface into my 2009 C63 today. Overall it wasn't too bad (around three hours), just a lot of little things to do. Everything from Command Online worked great - they didn't leave out anything. My head unit sees the UCI, however it's not activated so it doesn't work. Based on the fact that it sees it in the MOST configuration, I should be good to go. I may pull the COMAND unit back out at some point because the iPod integration kit wiring may still be installed, but that's a five minute job so I'm not going to worry about it. I'm going to schedule an appointment this week to get it activated and I'll report back how that goes.