C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Is this normal?

So I heard a weird engine noise a week or so ago (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-start-up.html) and it never came back, but I've been checking my engine bay regularly after each time I drive it to see if anything looks amiss.

Coupled with the recent news of a class action on the M156 engine and I'm extra paranoid

I had a service A done last week after the noise happened so I'm not sure if that is relevant, but I thought I might mention it. Also my car has 4000 miles on the clock and it is 13 months old. Its never been in the rain and I've never washed the engine bay before, so it is a fresh from the factory as possible for a 1+year old car.

So my question is, I noticed some oily residue on the inside of the pulley marked and also on the top part next to the belt (its about a 1/4" wide piece of metal) as marked in the picture. The belts look fine and no oil appears to be on the belts. And I couldn't see any evidence of oil fling or anywhere else in the engine bay. The tray below looks dry as a bone and spotless. So my question is, is this normal? Did the tech oil this during the Service A? Is it just left over grease from when it was built? None of the other pulley have this on them.

Please tell me I'm paranoid and its normal

Last edited by black-clk500; 09-21-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
I'm not a mechanic, but it sounds to be normal... Espescially u just did service A, the tech would have told u if u had any leaks on the engine bay. Don't sweat, our engine makes all kind of funny noise.