Transmission ****up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Transmission ****up

I had my foot on the pedal then turned the car from C to S+ ... the car just held the revs and wouldnt accelerate (Very weird)... It was fine after I put the brake on a bit. Anyone else notice this???
Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Do you have a 2012 C63 with MCT transmission?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
It was fine for me when i put it to S mode but never tried S+
Old 09-29-2011, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
I know you can switch modes on the fly but I remember someone saying that you're not supposed to do it on hard acceleration.. Not sure though.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by _AMG_
Do you have a 2012 C63 with MCT transmission?
Yah! All broken in!

Originally Posted by drawde
I know you can switch modes on the fly but I remember someone saying that you're not supposed to do it on hard acceleration.. Not sure though.
hmmm yah thats probably it, noticed no repercussions from doing it just thought it was weird.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Good question...Actually what is the general consensus for shifting modes while driving?? What is the rule?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C204, W209, W164
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Good question...Actually what is the general consensus for shifting modes while driving?? What is the rule?
I've read that it should be done while the vehicle is completely stationary. However, I've done it while coasting than I would proceed to accelerate after I've changed; I've yet to experience repercussions of any sort by either method.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Don't have experience with the MCT, but personally Ive never had a problem switching modes during driving.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I usually change when coming to a light or a slow cruise, but have never flipped it into light speed doing 91 on a highway...
Old 10-01-2011, 11:03 AM

2009 C63 ///Amg
Originally Posted by VaclavSV
I had my foot on the pedal then turned the car from C to S+ ... the car just held the revs and wouldnt accelerate (Very weird)... It was fine after I put the brake on a bit. Anyone else notice this???
Prob isnt a good idea to go straght from C to S+, and completely skip over S, while having foot on gas at same time, prob hard for car to switch it to sport and then switch into sport + while ur foot is on the gas as it is prob trying to engage in sport setting that u have already switched through since you are accelerating...

i dono im no expert but i have driven mct before and never had a problem but have not accelerating and tried switching tranny settings. To be honest im not sure y you would
Old 10-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,
Originally Posted by j bro
Prob isnt a good idea to go straght from C to S+, and completely skip over S, while having foot on gas at same time, prob hard for car to switch it to sport and then switch into sport + while ur foot is on the gas as it is prob trying to engage in sport setting that u have already switched through since you are accelerating...

i dono im no expert but i have driven mct before and never had a problem but have not accelerating and tried switching tranny settings. To be honest im not sure y you would
I dont get it why would it be bad for the car. Its not as if anything psychically changes in the transmission. Its just the electronics to make the car shift faster, so I dont understand how could this affect the car when changing from C to S+...
Old 10-01-2011, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by j bro
Prob isnt a good idea to go straght from C to S+, and completely skip over S, while having foot on gas at same time

i dono im no expert but i have driven mct before y:
If you have "Actually" driven an MCT before youd know that spinning the knob forces the car to run through the S mode into S+ ... its not like pushing a button

Thanks for your lame chirps though....
Old 10-01-2011, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
97 Porsche GT2 Wide Bodied Cabrio, Mercedes G500
The manual says it's ok to switch between C S S+ while driving. But when switching to Manual mode you have to be at a complete stop.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:26 PM

2009 C63 ///Amg
If you have "Actually" driven an MCT before youd know that spinning the knob forces the car to run through the S mode into S+ ... its not like pushing a button

"Actually" have driven MCT before, and my point was that wouldnt be smart to be accelerating when switching...

thanks for being a douche tho....

PS the MCT i have driven is in the middle
Old 10-01-2011, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red

With responses like this don't be surprised when the majority of members here simply ignore any future questions that you post. Very un-cool.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Posted a legit comment, got crap from a member who told me what I did was being stupid... seriously funny. Like I said no repercussions, just thought that it was weird.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:28 PM

Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,
Originally Posted by hhughes1
With responses like this don't be surprised when the majority of members here simply ignore any future questions that you post. Very un-cool.
+63

I didnt even want to post anything until I saw his comment. Honestly, first thing that came to my mind was a question "What kind of a d**k is this guy"
Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
I'm not going to get involved in the petty arguing..

What I will say is that, similar to what someone else said, the transmission is controlled electronically, and there are safe guards in place, so yes, you can make any changes whether the vehicle is in motion, or stopped, however the car may or may not enact that change till it is safe to do so.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63
In your owner's manual, it says not to switch tranny modes when the car is moving. Understandably, we all do this though.

When accelerating hard, and pressing that button, the car is thinking about shifting at one point, at a given speed, and then, all of a sudden, has to think in a different way. I'm sure there are some spots in there where it will get confused. Understandable, it was confused, then you got off the gas, it figured itself out, and all is good.

Just don't switch modes while on the throttle.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:05 AM

C63

I don't care if it's a button or a dial, if the car is stationary or moving in any one gear, I don't see any issue with changing the shift choices. If you change the setting it just chooses a different program for the next shift up or down.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:45 AM

2012 C63 (On the way)
Okay, well i am glad someone put a transmission thread up.

So, I have a 2012 C63 sedan and I just finally drove it a little hard after breaking in for the first 1,ooo miles. I noticed that the transmission shifts kinda of hard. Like it's not that smooth of a transmission. Especially in S+. But on the contrary, 2008-2012 are they just built this way because of all the power under the hood and I am just getting used to it??? It's probably different than any other cars I had in the past, so I am just wondering..

Also, after driving it fast for awhile, does anyone else 2008-2012 owners get this loud fan noise in the front bottom left of the car if your looking at it??? Please advise.

Oh, and I never had that problem Vaclavsc!! Not yet at least.. but I also do not switch modes while driving.. I usually put it in park then switch it.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:47 AM

2008 C63
Originally Posted by SpecialForces21

So, I have a 2012 C63 sedan and I just finally drove it a little hard after breaking in for the first 1,ooo miles. I noticed that the transmission shifts kinda of hard. Like it's not that smooth of a transmission. Especially in S+. But on the contrary, 2008-2012 are they just built this way because of all the power under the hood and I am just getting used to it??? It's probably different than any other cars I had in the past, so I am just wondering..

Also, after driving it fast for awhile, does anyone else 2008-2012 owners get this loud fan noise in the front bottom left of the car if your looking at it??? Please advise.
Yes, I get that fan noise. No the car does not shift smoothly in Sport/manual modes. That's for comfort mode.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:53 AM

2012 C63 (On the way)
Originally Posted by Muskoka_AMG
Yes, I get that fan noise. No the car does not shift smoothly in Sport/manual modes. That's for comfort mode.
Thanks man. Confort mode is much better, but still I can feel edginess a little as it is shifting gears. Must be normal than I guess.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Talking

Originally Posted by SpecialForces21

Oh, and I never had that problem Vaclavsc!! Not yet at least.. but I also do not switch modes while driving.. I usually put it in park then switch it.
Glad to see you got your car as well! Congrats!

The fan noise is normal, and the hard shifts as well. As far as switching modes while driving I think I was misunderstood in this thread...from trying a few more things changing the modes while driving the lack of shifting comes from switching modes then pressing the pedal quickly. Like mentioned above, its purely electronics based. I was just impatient and wanted some faster shifting while cruising down the highway. I also dont put it in S+ until the temp gauge is above 80, just my preference. Now I typically switch modes then wait a few seconds to cane the car

Regardless IMO this transmission is great, and the pick up on the car is incredible. Overtaking has never been so much fun!

Last edited by VaclavSV; 10-04-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:13 PM

2012 C63 (On the way)
Glad to see you got your car as well! Congrats!

The fan noise is normal, and the hard shifts as well. As far as switching modes while driving I think I was misunderstood in this thread...from trying a few more things changing the modes while driving the lack of shifting comes from switching modes then pressing the pedal quickly. Like mentioned above, its purely electronics based. I was just impatient and wanted some faster shifting while cruising down the highway. I also dont put it in S+ until the temp gauge is above 80, just my preference. Now I typically switch modes then wait a few seconds to cane the car

Regardless IMO this transmission is great, and the pick up on the car is incredible. Overtaking has never been so much fun!

Yes, Congrats to you as well.. It was funny how we were both in the ordering info thread a month ago and hear we are now talking about our cars as we drive them.

Okay, so it wasn't a malfunction or anything. That's good. I guess it was just a timing thing. Good to hear. Glad the fan noise is normal. With the windows up driving along and not being familiar with it, it sounded like a bomb warning alarm was going off in my town. haha..I was like where is that coming from.. Yes, I also wait until temp is above 80 for S+..

And I love driving her. I am not mad at the transmission at all, just getting used to it and wanted to make sure I broke her in correctly and that these were normal feelings. Today I took it up to 150 mph on the autobahn and it didn't lag one bit. ***** to the wall all the way up to 150. crazy.. My adrenaline was flowing..

Last edited by SpecialForces21; 10-04-2011 at 01:57 PM.