C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Anyone going to the AMG Driving Academy at Laguna Seca on 10/22?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 G550
Anyone going to the AMG Driving Academy at Laguna Seca on 10/22?

Finally got my spot reserved for the AMG Driving Academy at Laguna Seca on 10/22! anyone else here going?

For you guys that have been before, do you have any tips?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:32 AM

09 c63 p30 mars red
Have Fun! Fantastic track ---fantastic program!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:43 AM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
Don't be scared of the Corkscrew, it isn't nearly as bad as it seems. The car will just flow through it if you setup the turn correctly and is lots of fun.

Turn 7 is a fast, tricky left hander that can unsettle the car if you aren't careful but I think Rainey Curve (turn 9) is the most challenging on the course.

Here is a video from my first track day (ever) at Laguna in my Z4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr1qHUpmvAQ

I'll probably be doing my AMG Academy day next year since I won't take delivery till December. If you like the track you should come up for a track day sometime next spring, Hooked On Driving does them there as well as a few other organizers.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:01 PM

2016 G550
Thanks CaliSun.
I'll come up again for some track days, love the drive up the 1 from LA!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Current: 2019 M5 Donnington Gray, 2021 GLE53 Diamond White Met. Previous: 2010 C63, 2012 E550 Coupe
Driving Academy 10/8

I'm going to the AMG Academy this Saturday 10/8 at Laguna Seca. Really looking forward to driving the cars since I don't have an AMG now. Seriously thinking about buying a C63 and they should all be a blast around the track.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:56 AM

2011 C63 AMG
I went to the AMG Academy last saturday 10/8/11 in Laguna Seca. it was AWESOME. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys driving and want to get better. By the end of the day, you'll be lapping Laguna Seca like a Pro.

Tips for people going:
1. During the autocross event, GO ALL OUT! there is a fierce competition between the teams, and individuals. The winner gets a custom MB/AMG racing helmet (pix elsewhere on this forum, worth $400?); second prize a big pix; third prize a bucket of Mother's car care stuff. Don't be afraid to go faster than you dare. most you can do is hit a cone. the winning team gets cool AMG checkered flags autographed by T. Kendall.

2. drivers buddy up during the event. If you go with a friend, then you buddy up. if you happen to be on a team with odd number, try to be the loner. you'll get either twice as much seat time, or ride with instructor when they switch drivers.

3. drink lots of water and use bathroom before each session. don't want to pee in your pants...

4. stay at embassy suites monterey/salinas. it's 3 miles down the street from the racetrack, and is official hotel for racetrack. nice place, has ocean view.

5. corkscrew is scary at first, but really fun once you learn the line. play GT4 or GT5 on PS3 to get familiar with the track and the line. youtube has "hot laps" to study as well, and AMG academy site (below). Oh, and READ that packet they mailed you.

6. Here is link to pix and videos, to get an idea what it's like:
http://amgacademyvideos.com/

7. ENJOY!!!! take time to appreciate each ride. you will drive the SLS, CLS63 (2012), C63 coupe, E63, SL63. taxi ride in CLK63BS. I was too focused on the training; should have took some time to appreciate the interior, new nav system, stereo, etc. take pix. in the morning, when you are done eating breakfast, go out and check out all the AMG rides. you can see under the hood, inside, etc. All the instructors are really cool, so ask questions about AMGs, ask how to improve your skills.

Cavu - which group were you in? My name is Andrew - Red group.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:19 PM

2016 G550
Originally Posted by 2010_C63_OMG
I went to the AMG Academy last saturday 10/8/11 in Laguna Seca. it was AWESOME. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys driving and want to get better. By the end of the day, you'll be lapping Laguna Seca like a Pro.

Tips for people going:
1. During the autocross event, GO ALL OUT! there is a fierce competition between the teams, and individuals. The winner gets a custom MB/AMG racing helmet (pix elsewhere on this forum, worth $400?); second prize a big pix; third prize a bucket of Mother's car care stuff. Don't be afraid to go faster than you dare. most you can do is hit a cone. the winning team gets cool AMG checkered flags autographed by T. Kendall.

2. drivers buddy up during the event. If you go with a friend, then you buddy up. if you happen to be on a team with odd number, try to be the loner. you'll get either twice as much seat time, or ride with instructor when they switch drivers.

3. drink lots of water and use bathroom before each session. don't want to pee in your pants...

4. stay at embassy suites monterey/salinas. it's 3 miles down the street from the racetrack, and is official hotel for racetrack. nice place, has ocean view.

5. corkscrew is scary at first, but really fun once you learn the line. play GT4 or GT5 on PS3 to get familiar with the track and the line. youtube has "hot laps" to study as well, and AMG academy site (below). Oh, and READ that packet they mailed you.

7. ENJOY!!!! take time to appreciate each ride. you will drive the SLS, CLS63 (2012), C63 coupe, E63, SL63. taxi ride in CLK63BS. I was too focused on the training; should have took some time to appreciate the interior, new nav system, stereo, etc. take pix. in the morning, when you are done eating breakfast, go out and check out all the AMG rides. you can see under the hood, inside, etc. All the instructors are really cool, so ask questions about AMGs, ask how to improve your skills.

Excellent, sounds so awesome.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll be up there in 7 days, can't wait!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Current: 2019 M5 Donnington Gray, 2021 GLE53 Diamond White Met. Previous: 2010 C63, 2012 E550 Coupe
Laguna Seca 10/8

Andrew, I was in the black group. I think you guys were some of the winners if I recall correctly.

Andrews tip are spot on. I would also mention that if you sometimes get a little motion sickness it would be a good idea to take the dramamine. They have some there. I've had prob's with this before, but thought I would be fine. The passenger seat time while your buddy is driving can be tough on the stomach.

Enjoy!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 PM

2016 G550
Just got back from the AMG Academy 10/22 at Laguna Seca.
There really are no words to describe how incredible the experience was.

I'm going to put up a few pics soon.

I thought we would just be doing some fun and "spirited' driving, no...
I absolutely tortured a SLS with ceramic brakes on the track, a new CLS63 and a couple new C63 coupes.

I did things I would never do to my own car, it felt sacrilegious and wrong, and so good.

It only took me about 5 minutes to put the CLS63 and C63 into limp mode. (granted they had taken beatings all day)

Ask the instructors what their favorite car is out of the almost $5 million worth of AMG's there?

Everyone I spoke with said the C63.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 GLC63, 2020 M2 Comp, 96 Miata M Edition & 19 Forester
AMG academy.

We are suppose to get a spot with our purchase of a C63 AMG over the weekend. Is it something we get in the mail or from our dealer?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 AM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
Originally Posted by izzyAMG
We are suppose to get a spot with our purchase of a C63 AMG over the weekend. Is it something we get in the mail or from our dealer?
I think your dealer does it once you take delivery of the car. Go to http://www.amgacademyregistration.com/packages/Basic and pick the location and date you want then call your dealer and see if he can register you.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:12 PM

2016 G550
If you have a VIN # for your vehicle you can just call them at 800-217-6916 and they will register you on the phone.

You might be able to get the VIN # from your dealer before the car arrives if it's a done deal.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
How far is Laguna Seca from L.A.?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:03 PM

2016 G550
Originally Posted by _AMG_
How far is Laguna Seca from L.A.?
I took the 1 / PCH all the way up the coast, one of the most incredible drives ever, especially in a C63 .

It's about 6 - 7 hours.

You can also take the 101 or the 5 which is faster, but not as fun as taking the 1.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by enochroot
I took the 1 / PCH all the way up the coast, one of the most incredible drives ever, especially in a C63 .

It's about 6 - 7 hours.

You can also take the 101 or the 5 which is faster, but not as fun as taking the 1.
Ohh man driving up the coast would be awesome.
I like drives with nice scenic views, even if it takes longer.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by enochroot
If you have a VIN # for your vehicle you can just call them at 800-217-6916 and they will register you on the phone.

You might be able to get the VIN # from your dealer before the car arrives if it's a done deal.
Perfect, I gave them a call and they said that is all I need to have. Much appreciated!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:07 PM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
Perfect, I gave them a call and they said that is all I need to have. Much appreciated!
I think the Laguna dates in two weeks might be the last till next year. I might book mine for Spring when the weather is better. I've done Laguna in the wet already so I'll wait and get the most out of it.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by CaliSun
I think the Laguna dates in two weeks might be the last till next year. I might book mine for Spring when the weather is better. I've done Laguna in the wet already so I'll wait and get the most out of it.
Yes we have to wait til next year.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:01 AM

in circles
I'm guessing the answer is no, but does anyone know if the basic program is still complimentary to those who have purchased a CPO C63?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by chuthis
I'm guessing the answer is no, but does anyone know if the basic program is still complimentary to those who have purchased a CPO C63?
It sure is but I believe the answer to that is you must take delivery by October 31, 2011... but I may be wrong... I thought I read it somewhere while researching yesterday.

Last edited by izzyAMG; 10-28-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:55 PM

in circles
Awesome! I picked mine up about a month or so ago. I don't recall the dealer mentioning anything about it, but I'm definitely going to look into this.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 PM

Don't have a Mercedes right now...
Originally Posted by 2010_C63_OMG

Tips for people going:

It sounds a little disappointing compared to what the "AMG Challenge" used to be a few years ago. The price for the basic course was $1200, the trophy for the winner of the AutoX was a then $7,000 (now $5,000) IWC AMG special edition watch! (lost it by 1/1000sec ouch!) and in the road course each student was driving 1-on-1 behind the instructor, this way if you had some racing experience the pro driver would see it and up his pace so you were able to have some fun. When I drove this style (4-cars behind the instructor) in an Audi school it wasn't very enjoyable cause the whole caravan was very slow in comparison.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:25 PM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by kchristos
It sounds a little disappointing compared to what the "AMG Challenge" used to be a few years ago. The price for the basic course was $1200, the trophy for the winner of the AutoX was a then $7,000 (now $5,000) IWC AMG special edition watch! (lost it by 1/1000sec ouch!) and in the road course each student was driving 1-on-1 behind the instructor, this way if you had some racing experience the pro driver would see it and up his pace so you were able to have some fun. When I drove this style (4-cars behind the instructor) in an Audi school it wasn't very enjoyable cause the whole caravan was very slow in comparison.
The Academy is 500% better than the old AMG Challenge. they don't even compare.

You can't judge the program by its give-aways.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by AMG Dictator
The Academy is 500% better than the old AMG Challenge. they don't even compare.

You can't judge the program by its give-aways.
Actually, the Challenge events were a little less structured. That allowed me to do a one on one follow with an instructor at much higher speed. That was a ball. Hit 130 in Vegas front straight.