C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 - Edition 1 - Matte Paint Finish - pain to maintain?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
C63 - Edition 1 - Matte Paint Finish - pain to maintain?

Hi,
Would love some perspective on Magno Night Black (Matte Finish) paint on the C63 Coupe Edition 1. I'm getting conflicting stories on how easy it is to maintain. I've heard it's a pain - can't drive when it's raining or snowing. Can't wax or take through the car wash. Is it really that much of a pain? Any sealant etc that I can apply aftermarket that makes this easier?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2011, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
From what I know the best way to care for matte paint is to wash it with soap and water.
Though Ive seen a Frozen Black E92 M3 being waxed and detailed with no problem.

Here is a link.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521374
Old 11-24-2011, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Wash it immediately if you get bug splatter or bird sh&t on it. Do not let other contaminants sit on the paint... salt is a big issue. Do NOT polish the paint with abrasive polish to remove swirls. Do not use regular wax and sealant... only wax formulated for matte paint... I believe Swissvax makes this. I would not take the car through automated washes due to the harsh chemicals, etc. Wash with mild soap (without wax in it) and water only.

If the car is a daily driver, it will be a LOT of work to maintain the paint. If a weekend only car, no big deal really. I know of one owner of a matte car and his biggest advice (if I recall correctly) was to NEVER let bug guts, bird sh&t or other contaminants (salt) sit on the paint as they will leave marks. I would drive it in the winter and rain but would definitely be washing it much more often than a car without matte paint.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:19 PM
RL1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG C63 Affalterbach Edition
i have magno allanite grey on my Affalterbach edition...i have driven it in the rain but wash it shortly thereafter.

they do say that you should not use wax or shampoos with wax...i use Swissvax Opaque shampoo and spray detailer as well as Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte detailer (couldn't find their shampoo)...i always have these in the trunk in case i get bird droppings or something i need to clean immediately.

it is definitely more work but dayamn it looks good!

RL
Old 11-24-2011, 09:12 PM

CLS63
Thanks all. This is very helpful. Bottom line - if this is a daily driver then it will be too much of a pain to maintain. I was going to use it as my primary car but this really is a second car or third even. Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe Black Series
Originally Posted by _AMG_
From what I know the best way to care for matte paint is to wash it with soap and water.
Though Ive seen a Frozen Black E92 M3 being waxed and detailed with no problem.

Here is a link.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521374
Hey, that's my car! And its going to be chopped in for a C63 Black Series!

Its 9 months old now and the paint is unmarked. Just use the Swissvax opaque products, take off any bird **** sooner rather than later and its not a problem.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Rain and snow is not a problem. Just don't wax it (unless with approved matte paint wax as mentioned) and don't go through abrasive car washes. Most of the fear of matte paint is offered by those who have never owned a vehicle with it.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:47 AM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Rain and snow is not a problem. Just don't wax it (unless with approved matte paint wax as mentioned) and don't go through abrasive car washes. Most of the fear of matte paint is offered by those who have never owned a vehicle with it.

Thanks, you are now the third person with a Magno paint car that I've seen say that. Before I placed my order for the Edition 1 Coupe I messaged some owners and they too said it holds up well if you use the right wash and don't wax or buff it.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Black Pete

Its 9 months old now and the paint is unmarked. Just use the Swissvax opaque products, take off any bird **** sooner rather than later and its not a problem.
Ohhh nice!! That color looks amazing on the M3.
The paint looks even deeper with the Swissvax.

BTW Congrats on the C63BS. Post some pics of the beast when it arrives.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:58 AM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
Originally Posted by Black Pete

pete really?!?!? i been looking at that post for a while . how much did u get it for? i was going to get it retail 83k but they wanted 92k +++ so i decided to get edition 1 coupe in the morning its mines!! and can u just wash it with water and soap or do u have to use detailing stuff all the time?