C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Hankook winter tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 coupe EVO X(sold) WRX (sold)
Hankook winter tires

Hi guys, Im looking winter tires for my c63, Hankook's price seem pretty good, so anyone had an experience with this brand, does it run well during the winter? thxx
Old 11-24-2011, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Depends on where you live and how bad your winters are. I had the Ice Bear on a G37 coupe and they were not very good on ice and snow. They provided decent cold dry traction but I was disappointed in snow and ice traction... especially bad in slush.

If you winters are very mild with little snow, they are probably fine. If you have harsher winters, I would look at Blizzak LM-60s (I'm a broken record these days as it seems like there are a TON of these threads popping up).

Also, I found the ride quality of the Hankooks to be harsher than other winter tires.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
I've been using Hankook IceBears on my C63 for 2 winters now, and gthal summed it up nicely.

For cold dry days, they offer the most dry traction out of all the winter tires I've tried (Pirelli, Blizzaks, Winter Alpins). For slush and ice, it's probably the worst, but still miles ahead of any all season out there. It's fairly good in snow.

With that being said, I'm in Calgary, and have never been stuck with them on my C63. It's not the best, but it's the best compromise for our winters here, where stuff get's plowed within a day or so. I can't even go a winter on Blizzaks without having to replace the rears twice. They wear really fast if they're on any dry pavement.

If you're not familiar with Calgary, here's a thread with pics to last year's first snow dump that lasted a week. We get about 4 of those a winter, the rest being light stuff.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...=&pagenumber=3

Our busses don't have winter tires, so they get stuck every dump while the C63 soldiers on.

Last edited by rage2; 11-24-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
I had the IceBears on a tuned 335i and I would say the first two posts are bang on.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw
I've been using Hankook IceBears on my C63 for 2 winters now

Old 11-25-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
[quote=rage2;4931887]I've been using Hankook IceBears on my C63 for 2 winters now, and gthal summed it up nicely.

For cold dry days, they offer the most dry traction out of all the winter tires I've tried (Pirelli, Blizzaks, Winter Alpins). For slush and ice, it's probably the worst, but still miles ahead of any all season out there. It's fairly good in snow.

With that being said, I'm in Calgary, and have never been stuck with them on my C63. It's not the best, but it's the best compromise for our winters here, where stuff get's plowed within a day or so. I can't even go a winter on Blizzaks without having to replace the rears twice. They wear really fast if they're on any dry pavement.

If you're not familiar with Calgary, here's a thread with pics to last year's first snow dump that lasted a week. We get about 4 of those a winter, the rest being light stuff.

That is what I am worried about with my LM60s. I initially ordered Sottozeros but they were out of stock and got the Blizzaks at the same price, a 30$ saving per tire. So far, I haven't even brought on the yellow traction light yet as having LM25s (Blizzaks), I am congisant that I have a certain substance on these tires that I want to keep on as long as possible. So far they are a pretty quiet tire and after a snowfall the other day, I was impressed how well the front end bites.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
I have no experience with Hankook tires, however I did just get a set of Winter i*cept evo W310's (new tire from them for this year! designed to fix previous complaints. My specific tires were manufactured August 2011 so you know they're fresh!). They are sitting in the garage, as I am stalling for as long as possible before putting them on. I bought them specifically because of wear and cost. At 6000kms on my 2012 the stock rears are going quick! wear is defineitly something to watch for. I wouldn't want to buy premium winter tires and have to replace them so soon! I hope the Hankooks do the trick. Once I put them on and drive in the snow I will give you an opinion.

Last edited by VaclavSV; 11-25-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S E1 (sold 2012 C63 AMG Sedan (Premium & APX)) & 09 C300 Sport 4Matic
You gotta reduce the rear toe for winter. Less toe in. The tires will last a lot longer and you are not driving on the track anyway in winter so you don't need max cornering performance.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by coladin
That is what I am worried about with my LM60s. I initially ordered Sottozeros but they were out of stock and got the Blizzaks at the same price, a 30$ saving per tire. So far, I haven't even brought on the yellow traction light yet as having LM25s (Blizzaks), I am congisant that I have a certain substance on these tires that I want to keep on as long as possible. So far they are a pretty quiet tire and after a snowfall the other day, I was impressed how well the front end bites.
The LM-60 and LM-25 does NOT have the same ice compound in it's tread as does the other Blizzaks. Other Blizzaks have this ice compound in the tread that does stop at around 50% wear. The LM-60 and LM-25 do not have this as they are performance winter tires and the speed rating could not be achieved. That's why the LM-60/LM-25 are not as good on ice as the WS-60... they have just a regular winter compound similar to what the WS-60 has AFTER the 50% wear point.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:51 AM

09 C63 AMG, 03 C320 Sport Coupe 96 Mustang
Originally Posted by VaclavSV
I have no experience with Hankook tires, however I did just get a set of Winter i*cept evo W310's (new tire from them for this year! designed to fix previous complaints. My specific tires were manufactured August 2011 so you know they're fresh!). They are sitting in the garage, as I am stalling for as long as possible before putting them on. I bought them specifically because of wear and cost. At 6000kms on my 2012 the stock rears are going quick! wear is defineitly something to watch for. I wouldn't want to buy premium winter tires and have to replace them so soon! I hope the Hankooks do the trick. Once I put them on and drive in the snow I will give you an opinion.
I just put these tires on and had to drive in Mtl this week with about 4" of snow. They seemed pretty good so long as I took it easy (like I always do in winter). Put the car in C mode, easy on the gas, no jerky manouevers and life is good.