Brakes - Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63, 2002 Corvette Z06
Brakes - Advice

Hey guys, here's a summary of my issue:

Around 50k kms I started developing some serious vibration on braking. Took in for service and they told me it was warped / rusted front rotors and I needed a full brake job. Ended just paying labour and had front rotors and pads replaced - problem was fixed.

Fast forward to now, about 5k kms on the new front brakes and I have developed the same issue.

I lease the car and its going back in about 6 months. I have zero interest in putting new brakes on M-Bs car... but the vibration is extremely annoying, there is obviously an issue with the rotors / pads again. I dont even want to have to pay the dealership to 'diagnose' the car (at least $100), they would probably try and tell me its "wear and tear" when it is clearly defective parts.

I drive this car gently, never hard on the brakes.. I don't go bombing around to heat up the brakes then drive through a car wash, can't see any reason why my rotors would warp.

Any one else had this issue? What would you do? Any advice is appreciated
Old 01-12-2012, 04:39 PM

home the point
Could be the calipers or the wheels themselves causing the warping?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

Originally Posted by Interwebz
Hey guys, here's a summary of my issue:

Around 50k kms I started developing some serious vibration on braking. Took in for service and they told me it was warped / rusted front rotors and I needed a full brake job. Ended just paying labour and had front rotors and pads replaced - problem was fixed.

Fast forward to now, about 5k kms on the new front brakes and I have developed the same issue.

I lease the car and its going back in about 6 months. I have zero interest in putting new brakes on M-Bs car... but the vibration is extremely annoying, there is obviously an issue with the rotors / pads again. I dont even want to have to pay the dealership to 'diagnose' the car (at least $100), they would probably try and tell me its "wear and tear" when it is clearly defective parts.

I drive this car gently, never hard on the brakes.. I don't go bombing around to heat up the brakes then drive through a car wash, can't see any reason why my rotors would warp.

Any one else had this issue? What would you do? Any advice is appreciated
Your issue may be caused by the fact that you are not hard enough on your brakes....and by that, I don't mean that you should "punish" them.
You need to properly "bed in" your brakes, but if you've already done 5K, than it may now be too late....but try this:
Get onto a freeway, & do around 8-10 hard stops from 100kph (60mph) down to around 5mph.....in quick succession.....but do NOT stop. After you've done this, keep on driving for a while to let the brakes cool down.
Let us know how you go.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:52 PM

2010 C63, 2002 Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by Pickles
Your issue may be caused by the fact that you are not hard enough on your brakes....and by that, I don't mean that you should "punish" them.
You need to properly "bed in" your brakes, but if you've already done 5K, than it may now be too late....but try this:
Get onto a freeway, & do around 8-10 hard stops from 100kph (60mph) down to around 5mph.....in quick succession.....but do NOT stop. After you've done this, keep on driving for a while to let the brakes cool down.
Let us know how you go.
Cheers, Pickles.
I will try this out.

Was just reading an interesting article about how typically rotos do not warp (this only actually happens under severe heat stress) and that its brake dust that adheres to the rotor causing bumps which then wears the brake pads unevenly which further contributes to the uneven wear which causes the vibration to worsen.

I have had a few cases where the car has sat for a couple days outside and it felt like my brake pads were almost fused to the rotors.. making a loud 'clunk' as the car started to reverse.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Rotors warp from HEAT. Maybe someone didnt torque your lugs down properly and the heat isnt evenly distributed. If not, something is rubbing and causing this. It should be covered under warranty. There is no way rotors warp in 5000km on normal driving. Brakes has a 40k km warranty.. But you just got new ones and warped in 5k km is unheard of.

Your pads shouldn't be sticking either. Sounds like they are rubbing, or something. Do they smell or do you check them to see how hot they are getting?? Are you riding the brake?? Take it back to the dealer and complain.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

Hang on a second guys......who said the rotors were "warped"?.....or that his pads are "sticking"....a clunking noise can be caused by lots of stuff....slight movement in calipers...any number of things.
NO-ONE knows what the problem is YET.
I simply suggested the "10 hard stop" remedy, because the owner said he was soft on his brakes......so it COULD be that they simply haven't "bedded in" properly. Now that he's already done 5Ks, maybe the damage's been done, & what I've suggested will be to no avail.....best "wait & see" I reckon?
Cheers, Pickles.