New Race Gas Tune is Insane!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
New Race Gas Tune is Insane!!!!

Last year I purchased a spare ECU with the intention of having a 100 octane tune for track weekends. I switched to an MHP V3 on the original ECU which works great, closing the gap to a noticable degree on Keith's car when we have straightaway encounters. However the spare ECU would not start the car once the race gas tune was installed. Andy attempted to work the issue out with the tune writer to no avail. Keith was having the exact same issue with his spare ECU as well but since his car is now really a DTC he was fine running race gas all the time with 100 octane maps. Because the race tune never worked Andy of course never charged me for it.

Fast forward to yesterday where Keith was having his car custom dyno tuned for the new cams in both NA and N02 configurations. Andy was confident that his current tuner would not have the same issue with the spare ECU and offered to tune mine on the spot with a 100 octane file. Because of the previous issues, Andy provided the tune for ZERO dollars!

This morning with a tank of Sunoco 100 proof and a 45 degree nearly zero humidity forcast I rose early and switched the boxes. The car starts up with the typical banshee scream and I become very enthused. Over the border (in Mexico of course) there are some ideal country roads with miles of straight line visibilty. Surprisingly for an early Sunday morning, I have a half dozen cars in front of me while I wait to get to get where the roads open up. Meanwhile a late model Audi of some sort closes up on our parade at a high rate of speed. This could be more fun than I thought considering I planned on it being just me, the car and a stopwatch (don't have a VBox so nothing is official) Soon the opportunity came to clear traffic and I did, not surprising the Audi followed right behind. At a 60mph steady roll he took the bait and attempted to make a pass. The second he left my lane off I went, his bumper just about to come even with my rear and then I was gone. I mean really gone as in an easy 50 YARDS in less than 10 seconds. Looking down I was already at 140 in what felt like a heart beat and he was a spec in the mirror. I have no idea what model the car was but he was the one who threw down the glove even though he had to hear my car while we were passing traffic. Within minutes I was ready to turn around and come back and he did honk and wave as I was waiting to pull back out in the other direction.

Now it was time for an unofficial 60 - 130 stopwatch timed run. Car was in sport mode as I had a stopwatch in hand. Traction was an issue as I floored it at 40 mph but by 60 the car was gripping fine. My hand timed 60-130 was 8.29 seconds and the car was accelerating past 130 freakishly fast. There was a shift that occured near the end of the run but it didn't seem to take anything away from the acceleration. I would loved to have keith's V Box this morning as the conditions were epic for Florida but i really don't car about official or not.

The car is insane fast with this tune......I have many, many straightaway blasts to 150 in this car but today was a new level. Hats off to Andy's hired gun who just blew me away with computer code. I was a little suspect at first of a white dude with dreads (unless you're Michael Ballard) but not any more
Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Yeah. It's cold in FL at the moment. Nice job!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by hhughes1
Last year I purchased a spare ECU with the intention of having a 100 octane tune for track weekends. I switched to an MHP V3 on the original ECU which works great, closing the gap to a noticable degree on Keith's car when we have straightaway encounters. However the spare ECU would not start the car once the race gas tune was installed. Andy attempted to work the issue out with the tune writer to no avail. Keith was having the exact same issue with his spare ECU as well but since his car is now really a DTC he was fine running race gas all the time with 100 octane maps. Because the race tune never worked Andy of course never charged me for it.

Fast forward to yesterday where Keith was having his car custom dyno tuned for the new cams in both NA and N02 configurations. Andy was confident that his current tuner would not have the same issue with the spare ECU and offered to tune mine on the spot with a 100 octane file. Because of the previous issues, Andy provided the tune for ZERO dollars!

This morning with a tank of Sunoco 100 proof and a 45 degree nearly zero humidity forcast I rose early and switched the boxes. The car starts up with the typical banshee scream and I become very enthused. Over the border (in Mexico of course) there are some ideal country roads with miles of straight line visibilty. Surprisingly for an early Sunday morning, I have a half dozen cars in front of me while I wait to get to get where the roads open up. Meanwhile a late model Audi of some sort closes up on our parade at a high rate of speed. This could be more fun than I thought considering I planned on it being just me, the car and a stopwatch (don't have a VBox so nothing is official) Soon the opportunity came to clear traffic and I did, not surprising the Audi followed right behind. At a 60mph steady roll he took the bait and attempted to make a pass. The second he left my lane off I went, his bumper just about to come even with my rear and then I was gone. I mean really gone as in an easy 50 YARDS in less than 10 seconds. Looking down I was already at 140 in what felt like a heart beat and he was a spec in the mirror. I have no idea what model the car was but he was the one who threw down the glove even though he had to hear my car while we were passing traffic. Within minutes I was ready to turn around and come back and he did honk and wave as I was waiting to pull back out in the other direction.

Now it was time for an unofficial 60 - 130 stopwatch timed run. Car was in sport mode as I had a stopwatch in hand. Traction was an issue as I floored it at 40 mph but by 60 the car was gripping fine. My hand timed 60-130 was 8.29 seconds and the car was accelerating past 130 freakishly fast. There was a shift that occured near the end of the run but it didn't seem to take anything away from the acceleration. I would loved to have keith's V Box this morning as the conditions were epic for Florida but i really don't car about official or not.

The car is insane fast with this tune......I have many, many straightaway blasts to 150 in this car but today was a new level. Hats off to Andy's hired gun who just blew me away with computer code. I was a little suspect at first of a white dude with dreads (unless you're Michael Ballard) but not any more
Probably 7's 60-130 on the Vbox. Good stuff!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Great history. I would like to see what she can do at the drag strip. I am guesiiing you will be around 130 mph traps.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Enjoy the new power
With more run it will get faster.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Awesome congrats!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Glad your enjoying your new found power.
Would love to seem some V box runs of 60-130.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
So I am clear on this.. PREVIOUSLY, having a race tune secondary ECU wouldn't work in the car??

But his NEW race tune will swap right in? Plug and play? I have two ECUs and one is just sitting here collecting dust.. This may be my secret weapon against the pesky Viper!! yeehaww

Good post
Old 02-13-2012, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by Merc63
So I am clear on this.. PREVIOUSLY, having a race tune secondary ECU wouldn't work in the car??

But his NEW race tune will swap right in? Plug and play? I have two ECUs and one is just sitting here collecting dust.. This may be my secret weapon against the pesky Viper!! yeehaww

Good post
That is correct. I bought the ecu when I was having an on going misfire issue that the dealer service department blamed on the tune which was Kleemann at the time. The car still misfired with the spare ecu and stock files and the problem was an 02 sensor. My plan all along was to switch to MHP, so I had a V3 loaded on my original ecu but when I got the spare back with the race tune the car would not start. Something about the Tec-tech files and spare ecu's and "rolling codes"???????? I had Jerry's MB flash it back to stock and the car would run again.

*****IMPORTANT*******

I now have a better understanding of how some cars are trapping so much higher than the rest of the pack. A combination of cold dense air and a high octane specific tune creates incredible power that is realized while rolling at speed but not easily replicated on a dyno. I pay more attention to the increase in mph from the 1/8 mile point to the terminal trap speed on 1/4 mile runs as an indicator of power. My best ever trap of 121.9 gained 25 mph on the back half. Dodger, Mthis and Keith are picking up 30 mph and the high octane tune has a lot to do with it. We all know the impact of cold air on this motor but a race tune amplifies the affect.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63,1989 944 Turbo, 2018-GTR, GLC63S
Andy just put his new tune in my car and i Love this file, he's also coming to California - Orange County to do a custom tune for me and a couple other guys by next month. I cant wait as i just put in a order also for a 2nd ECU to do a 100 oct file on it. Glad to hear this from you now i really cant wait..............
Old 02-19-2012, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Oh boy... Good thing I have a secondary ECU )

Is race gas hard on the car or fuel system?? I heard it was from my tech...

I believe I have access to VP products... Which would be safe (100oct)
Old 02-19-2012, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Does MHP have a race tune for just headers and no other mods?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63,1989 944 Turbo, 2018-GTR, GLC63S
Not True, runs cooler, burns faster and is much safer