Supercharged M156 vs Tuned M157 with downpipes - MBWorld.org Forums

Log In 


C63 AMG (W204) Discuss the C63 AMG

Supercharged M156 vs Tuned M157 with downpipes

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
Old 02-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 955
Drives: 2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Supercharged M156 vs Tuned M157 with downpipes

Ideally, if we had this matchup which car would win the race from a roll @ lets say 45MPH and on?. I'm talking lets say a weistec supercharged Stage 1+ M156 runing with longtubes vs 2012 tuned CLS 63 runing with turbo downpipes.
jacob502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
mthis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ny
Posts: 4,391
Drives: Anything W/4Wheels
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob502 View Post
Ideally, if we had this matchup which car would win the race from a roll @ lets say 45MPH and on?. I'm talking lets say a weistec supercharged Stage 1+ M156 runing with longtubes vs 2012 tuned CLS 63 runing with turbo downpipes.
M156 with SC and LTs is badass and should win
mthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
c32AMG-DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,955
Drives: 2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthis View Post
M156 with SC and LTs is badass and should win
+1

Assuming equal gearing, since both would be F/I with free-flowing exhaust mods, I'd expect the displacement advantage, instantaneous boost response, and torque advantage (just a guess here) would result in the modded M156 being the victor over the M157 vehicle.

To be fair, we're talking one motor with $20k+ in mods, to the other with (again, guessing) around, what, $4k? Just sayin'.
c32AMG-DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hong Kong/Atlanta
Posts: 355
Drives: 2010 C63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going to be real unpopular here and say that the 157 will win, if done right. That motor has DI and is designed for FI so should be able to run a lot more boost than the 156. So can the extra displacement make up for it? I don't think so. But maybe.

However, if its a C vs. a CLS, the the C would probably win due to being 400 lbs lighter.
ATL_MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
hhughes1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,521
Drives: 2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forced induction provides the all important third tuning variable in addition to fuel and timing.......BOOST!!!!

My money would be on whoever's willng to take the biggest risk. It would be an entertaining matchup to watch!
hhughes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 955
Drives: 2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever the outcome. I think they both will be close
jacob502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
propain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 4,006
Drives: See Sig
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob502 View Post
Ideally, if we had this matchup which car would win the race from a roll @ lets say 45MPH and on?. I'm talking lets say a weistec supercharged Stage 1+ M156 runing with longtubes vs 2012 tuned CLS 63 runing with turbo downpipes.
2012 CLS63 is already running 10's without the headers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS54-o26qsY

So no headers on the Wiestec car? Just the SC? I believe the The CLS will walk it with headers + Tune. Probably walk it with just the tune.

Edit:

I see you meant the Weistec car has headers.... Probably a very close race then.

Last edited by propain; 02-19-2012 at 10:54 AM.
propain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 955
Drives: 2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propain View Post
2012 CLS63 is already running 10's without the headers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS54-o26qsY

So no headers on the Wiestec car? Just the SC? I believe the The CLS will walk it with headers + Tune. Probably walk it with just the tune.

Edit:

I see you meant the Weistec car has headers.... Probably a very close race then.

Hi Propain,


I think the CLS you showed us had headers+tune. look at this slip:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-23728.html


It also had lighter wheels and drag radials.

weve seen NA C63's hitting 10's including a 10.66 (Mike "Dodger63"). a supercharged M156 runing with longtubes will have a better ET

Jrcart made a 10.6 in a worse condition than that ET by the 2012 CLS. All that doesnt matter. we need both cars showing up at the same time and same location racing in the same condition. It should be a close race, but I do believe that the M156 can outpreform it. At the start I belive the CLS will get the kick due to its high torque figures, but once the torque flatens the M156 will start pulling it quickly and early, as early as before shifting to fourth gear.
jacob502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,381
Drives: C63 AMG
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Why is there no one with a SC C63 running at the track??
Merc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,689
Drives: C63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will definitely a close race, but I would lean towards the M156 with SC + LTH's.
_AMG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
Super Member
 
dbasons55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 821
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well guys to sum it up for you, I raced a SC C63 the other day and I don't know what stage he is in but I am sure he had LT headers, my car has the Brabus Tune which is not running good at all, and I don't have downpipes I have high flow 200 cells cats, the C63 was about 3-4 car lengths quicker from 80km to 250km, the C was gaining very quickly but after 230km he stopes gaining, I am sure with a proper tune and down pipe the cars will be somewhere even.
dbasons55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
propain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 4,006
Drives: See Sig
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob502 View Post
Hi Propain,


I think the CLS you showed us had headers+tune. look at this slip:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-23728.html


It also had lighter wheels and drag radials.

weve seen NA C63's hitting 10's including a 10.66 (Mike "Dodger63"). a supercharged M156 runing with longtubes will have a better ET

Jrcart made a 10.6 in a worse condition than that ET by the 2012 CLS. All that doesnt matter. we need both cars showing up at the same time and same location racing in the same condition. It should be a close race, but I do believe that the M156 can outpreform it. At the start I belive the CLS will get the kick due to its high torque figures, but once the torque flatens the M156 will start pulling it quickly and early, as early as before shifting to fourth gear.
Hmmmmm... I thought they pulled off 10's with nothing more than a tune. You are right though, I was mistaken. 10.9 with Stage II.

I know what dodgers car can do and its quite amazing, but there is a big difference between the CLS and his car as far as mods. Dodger is well beyond a stage II. He shed big weight to make that 10.6 and in way more favorable DA than this CLS was running in. I think dodger said once he shed almost 400 pounds.

JRCart would be another example. 10.6 in some bad DA. The CLS was running some pretty unfavorable DA as well and very high humidity. I would also consider Cart to be beyond stage II.

Both above cars are also race fuel only tunes. I see no mention of fuel in the CLS car so I assume pump.

I still think a true Weistec Stage I will be a close race to a TT Stage I. I wish I could see some results from Weistec but I can never seem to find any actual track results other than Cart's runs and he has like 300K into his car.
propain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
c32AMG-DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,955
Drives: 2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propain View Post
Hmmmmm... I thought they pulled off 10's with nothing more than a tune. You are right though, I was mistaken. 10.9 with Stage II.

I know what dodgers car can do and its quite amazing, but there is a big difference between the CLS and his car as far as mods. Dodger is well beyond a stage II. He shed big weight to make that 10.6 and in way more favorable DA than this CLS was running in. I think dodger said once he shed almost 400 pounds.

JRCart would be another example. 10.6 in some bad DA. The CLS was running some pretty unfavorable DA as well and very high humidity. I would also consider Cart to be beyond stage II.

Both above cars are also race fuel only tunes. I see no mention of fuel in the CLS car so I assume pump.

I still think a true Weistec Stage I will be a close race to a TT Stage I. I wish I could see some results from Weistec but I can never seem to find any actual track results other than Cart's runs and he has like 300K into his car.
I think the OP's question is a Weistec M156, plus LT's - vs. a tuned M157 with DP's. Not "stage 1 vs. stage 1." Just FWIW.

2010 E63 vs. 2012 E63 would be great for this comparison - maybe we'll see it someday.
c32AMG-DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
mthis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ny
Posts: 4,391
Drives: Anything W/4Wheels
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
What should win this
Tuned 2012E63 vs weistec st1 2010 E63 (stock exhaust both cars)
mthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #15
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 955
Drives: 2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthis View Post
What should win this
Tuned 2012E63 vs weistec st1 2010 E63 (stock exhaust both cars)
That should be a good one.
jacob502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #16
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 955
Drives: 2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbasons55 View Post
Well guys to sum it up for you, I raced a SC C63 the other day and I don't know what stage he is in but I am sure he had LT headers, my car has the Brabus Tune which is not running good at all, and I don't have downpipes I have high flow 200 cells cats, the C63 was about 3-4 car lengths quicker from 80km to 250km, the C was gaining very quickly but after 230km he stopes gaining, I am sure with a proper tune and down pipe the cars will be somewhere even.

Thank you for the input. Do you know the owner of the C63?
jacob502 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ACG W205 C63/C63S High Flow Stainless Downpipe Upgrade - Now Available! Jacob@ACGautomotive C43 AMG, C63 AMG, C63S AMG (W205) 32 07-08-2016 05:15 AM
Gixxer's R230 and garage mate Gixxerboy63 SL-Class (R230) 21 05-12-2016 02:26 PM
Leaked Supercharger Pics Inside mr747 C63 AMG (W204) 181 12-14-2015 12:19 PM
Acronyms CTSV_OR_E55 W211 AMG 6 09-07-2015 08:31 PM
Any intakes, c300? MrLewis C Class (W205) 3 09-07-2015 10:18 AM


Tags
2012, 63, amg, charcoal, cls, downpipes, e63, filters, gullwing, kleeman, lemans, m156, m157, mercedes, red, sls


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.