Why are ///M Owners so defensive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Why are ///M Owners so defensive?

Why do you guys think M owners are so defensive? They'll make every excuse to try and keep their precious M car at the top, but fail to realize that there are other companies that are making strides in the handling department. Tell them the car is useless on the streets and they'll tell you you're driving it wrong. Bring up the word "AMG" and they'll take those words and shove them right back down your throat. Why? What is it that makes them like that? I've only see one or two fanboys on this site, but the BMW boards are filled with them.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
It's probably due to the fact that their car isn't all that in daily driving. At up to 90% of the limits, there are far better cars out there. It's probably their way of justifying their purchases. The other factor could be that most of those M3 drivers out there just moved up from EVO's and STI's. Feels that there is somethig to prove.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
It's probably due to the fact that their car isn't all that in daily driving. At up to 90% of the limits, there are far better cars out there. It's probably their way of justifying their purchases. The other factor could be that most of those M3 drivers out there just moved up from EVO's and STI's. Feels that there is somethig to prove.
+1, It is probably to justify their purchase, or at least in their point of view.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.
You also tend to see a younger crowd in M cars, it seems. There are a lot of 16 - 22 year olds. Does that play a factor?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 White C63 Coupe
I mean I frequent *********** (originally bimmerboost) and they aren't that way. The M3 is a measuring stick for cars because it is a good car. Most smart BMW owners admit that the M division has been slacking lately, and that other car companies are stepping up. But I think mostly people who drive M3's are younger (I don't know about 16-22 year olds). MB has always been seen as an old person's car, and BMW's have been a younger man's car. That may be why...
Old 03-25-2012, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
I have basically stopped contributing on M3Post for this reason. I would like to think I am very balanced in my view of the cars and able to provide a reasonable comparison of the two given my experiences with both. I have never once said the C63 and M3 are anything but comparable cars with different strengths and weaknesses. However, there is a crazy bias with many (not all) M3 owners that the C63 can't take a corner and is miles behind the M3. That or that MB simply stuck a big engine in a C class. To me, it is blind fanboyism and absolute buy-in to the BMW marketing machine. I'm not suggesting the C63 eats M3s for dinner... it doesn't... but the M3 doesn't eat the C63 for dinner either.

What drives me nuts is how some M3 owners ignore important facts (like the C63s Nurburgring time) and filter information (ignoring positive reviews of the C63 and putting credit in negative reviews) to support their theory that the C63 is not a well put together car. I think it is a combination of amazing branding/marketing of BMW, history of the M3, age of the owners and the entire internet forum environment that fosters fanboy behaviour. I will say some people on M3Post are balanced in their opinions and appreciate all nice cars.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I dont think its all M owners, but the handful of mindless owners that are beyond biased.
Personally, I dont have anything bad to say about the M badge. I respect the car for what it is.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
In real life I have had 2 M3 owners praise me for my car choice. They loved the sound, the brakes, and the interior. One said he wished he saw the 2012 model in 2011 cause he would've changed his decision -I felt bad for him, he was in love with my car. LOL Mind you his coupe looked wicked!

I find though that young 'car enthusiasts' in general are more stubborn (myself included) when it comes to justifying their ride. Partly because its our first major car purchase and we want people to know the thought and compromise we put into our decision. We don't want to be told we made a wrong decision. On that note I don't know how you could possible go wrong with either vehicle!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
This thread makes me so damn angry.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Cy3

2011 C350
Kind of weird how MB hates on BMW and BMW hates on MB...not weird in the sense that I don't comprehend how competition drives trash talk but weird in the sense that neither fails to realize that at the end of the day both parties dropped ~$60k on vehicles that are understandably some of the best engineered vehicles on the road.
Ive met BMW drivers who are Ds and the same for MB owners...its such a futile argument it confuses the ***** out of me why anyone would want to argue one side or the other. At the end of the day its just one persons opinion expressed on why their car better suits their needs and both try to justify their big ticket purchase.

Last edited by Cy3; 03-25-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:16 PM

GLK, future C63 owner
Plenty of brainless kiddies on both sides (M3 and C63) who are willing to engage into pointless arguments about which car is "better" according to their own subjective opinion. Just ignore threads/posts like these and stop asking pointless questions

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
I've only see one or two fanboys on this site.
Go to "kill stories" forum section (or do a random forum search for terms like "kill" or "GT-R" or "M3"), you'll find more.

Last edited by Car drvr; 03-25-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:21 PM

Received 150 Likes on 36 Posts
c63 BS; lc500; F-pace SVR; Jaguar P8
Originally Posted by Car drvr
Plenty of brainless kiddies on both sides (M3 and C63) who are willing to engage into pointless arguments about which car is "better" according to their own subjective opinion. Just ignore threads/posts like these and stop asking pointless questions
Old 03-25-2012, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by GBlansten
This thread makes me so damn angry.

You are one of the few with a meaningful opinion. Lots of folks claim to have "driven" both but few, IMO, really have.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 PM

2009 C63 AMG
I have owned both, and I think the OP hit the nail straight on the head. The BMW fanboys are in a class of their own... To them there is nothing else, even if a better option was slapping them straight in the face. The 335i crowd is slowly becoming the worst, man they really suck. Since most people knew I had the S/C M3 before I bet I had 15 or so people say "Aww man how come you didnt get the M3 it would have been so much faster..." The BMW fan base is very closed-minded, there is one way things work, "AND THATS THE WAY "XXXXXX837" DID IT ON THE FORUM."

Here is my 525hp E46M3, I would take the C63 over it in every aspect. As well as taking the C over a newer e92, The M's are fun, but only when you are really pushing them.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by gthal
I have basically stopped contributing on M3Post for this reason. I would like to think I am very balanced in my view of the cars and able to provide a reasonable comparison of the two given my experiences with both. I have never once said the C63 and M3 are anything but comparable cars with different strengths and weaknesses. However, there is a crazy bias with many (not all) M3 owners that the C63 can't take a corner and is miles behind the M3. That or that MB simply stuck a big engine in a C class. To me, it is blind fanboyism and absolute buy-in to the BMW marketing machine. I'm not suggesting the C63 eats M3s for dinner... it doesn't... but the M3 doesn't eat the C63 for dinner either.

What drives me nuts is how some M3 owners ignore important facts (like the C63s Nurburgring time) and filter information (ignoring positive reviews of the C63 and putting credit in negative reviews) to support their theory that the C63 is not a well put together car. I think it is a combination of amazing branding/marketing of BMW, history of the M3, age of the owners and the entire internet forum environment that fosters fanboy behaviour. I will say some people on M3Post are balanced in their opinions and appreciate all nice cars.
You are quite popular over there on M3post. Anytime anyone compares the M3 vs C63, they love to put "IN BEFORE GTHAL COMMENTS". lolz
Old 03-25-2012, 10:57 PM

C63
i also own an m3 and members on m3post always state c63 drives like a boat, i was like what? They just think C63 is a regular C with bigger engine. They dont even test drive one before saying anything. There do anything to beat the C63
Old 03-25-2012, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
Why do you guys think M owners are so defensive? They'll make every excuse to try and keep their precious M car at the top, but fail to realize that there are other companies that are making strides in the handling department. Tell them the car is useless on the streets and they'll tell you you're driving it wrong. Bring up the word "AMG" and they'll take those words and shove them right back down your throat. Why? What is it that makes them like that? I've only see one or two fanboys on this site, but the BMW boards are filled with them.
It wasn't that long ago I was bashing your M posts here.

Originally Posted by gthal

Tell me about it.

Originally Posted by AdamW
I have owned both, and I think the OP hit the nail straight on the head. The BMW fanboys are in a class of their own... To them there is nothing else, even if a better option was slapping them straight in the face. The 335i crowd is slowly becoming the worst, man they really suck. Since most people knew I had the S/C M3 before I bet I had 15 or so people say "Aww man how come you didnt get the M3 it would have been so much faster..." The BMW fan base is very closed-minded, there is one way things work, "AND THATS THE WAY "XXXXXX837" DID IT ON THE FORUM."

Here is my 525hp E46M3, I would take the C63 over it in every aspect. As well as taking the C over a newer e92, The M's are fun, but only when you are really pushing them.
The 335 guys are the dumbest of them all, they think they have a Porsche 996TT. Last guy who opened his mouth has a broken window and bruised forehead.

Originally Posted by vessproms
i also own an m3 and members on m3post always state c63 drives like a boat, i was like what? They just think C63 is a regular C with bigger engine. They dont even test drive one before saying anything. There do anything to beat the C63
It's funny because none of the the M3 drivers I've seen push their cars to the limits and drive like ****. The only place where that handling can be shown is on a left/right heavy sweeper.

If your in NY
Try the Wantagh twisties on the way to Jones Beach. I maxed it out in the U-boat. Those M dip****s couldn't even keep up because they dont know the difference between a driving line and their gas pedal..

The C63 will be a champ on the light, mild and heavy sweepers as well. It's steering perception anyway. The same way the SL55 was smoking M5's and m6's on the track when they were released.

It's really some ignorance. Don't even waste your time arguing just smack them or tell them to put up and race.

Last edited by Das Geld 2; 03-25-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:11 AM

Like The Stig
I used to have an e90 M3 but i was not a ****. But i did notice that m3 drivers are a holes. While i had my m3 if i saw another m3 i would always give it a thumbs up or something. Most of the m3 drivers looked away as if they were better than me though we were in the same car lol.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
its definitely true for m5board. (especially the F10 m5)

and i dont think its just younger guys, it seems like older guys, and you'd think some of these guys must be rocket scientists by the way they talk, riddling of technical stats, and laws of physics, when making an argument.

and the second theres a report of another car beating the new m5 in any category, theres an imediate excuse, like - "oh, that magazine isnt a legitimate magazine," because it wasnt a "German" mag (yes i actually had a guy use that argument)

or, "that car is way more money" or "it had to be the driver" , or it had to be the temperature, and so on, and so on

i dont find it to be that way here. although ive only been a member for a short time.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.
Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
It wasn't that long ago I was bashing your M posts here.

Tell me about it.

The 335 guys are the dumbest of them all, they think they have a Porsche 996TT. Last guy who opened his mouth has a broken window and bruised forehead.

It's funny because none of the the M3 drivers I've seen push their cars to the limits and drive like ****. The only place where that handling can be shown is on a left/right heavy sweeper.

If your in NY
Try the Wantagh twisties on the way to Jones Beach. I maxed it out in the U-boat. Those M dip****s couldn't even keep up because they dont know the difference between a driving line and their gas pedal..

The C63 will be a champ on the light, mild and heavy sweepers as well. It's steering perception anyway. The same way the SL55 was smoking M5's and m6's on the track when they were released.

It's really some ignorance. Don't even waste your time arguing just smack them or tell them to put up and race.
You live, You learn.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:01 AM

M3 - C63 blk/blk ordered
I have just come from a E90 M3 when I got to 50K miles. I think each have their strengths and weaknesses. Obviously there are some people that one particular strength is all important to them. For me all I can tell you is I look forward to driving my C63 every day, and it is hard to resist not driving in manual mode and hearing that exhaust burble. I have no regrets at the move to the C63 whatsoever.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
There's a reason Jeremy Clarkson prefers Mercs and now that I own one, I completely understand.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 AM

CLS 55 AMG - one of the last off the AMG line
I think this fanboyism whilst lamentable, is easy to understand. I think the car is a huge investment for most people representing the second biggest purchase most of us will make (second only to your house). Cars are seen as external representations of your wealth and success, a benchmark to your image, and even carry stereotypes of what you are supposed to be like based on the characteristics of the model in question. EG Volvo drivers are cautious and boring, TT’s, and Z4’s are for hairdressers etc.

People also seem to have some inborn need to identify themselves with teams. In Europe, its weird when I hear people talk about their football team as a “we”- for example Man U fan says – “WE beat Barcelona this week”- WE ??? WTF – 11 overpaid millionaires beat 11 other overpaid millionaires- the fans on TV had nothing to do with it, yet we still identify ourselves as sharing the glory of the broader teams….I am sure in the North American context, Americans/Canadians support their baseball team because its their home town team…even though looking at all of those overpaid millionaires NONE probably come from that town. But people still identify with a team, a brand or something bigger than themselves. Human behaviour. If you are a Man U fan – then you automatically crap on Man City…. If you are a Mets Fan, you usually trash talk the Yankees and vice versa. So….if you drive a BMW – you naturally trash talk the other team….Even freaking video games console nerd geeks (like I am/used to be) trash talk Xbox v.PS3 v.Wii etc. Its human nature…..

The more mature amongst us appreciates the cars for what they are. The M3 is a kick *** car, a beautiful car, very well built, balanced, and orchestrated. The C63 is a different character altogether, with different power curves, engine displacement, transmission strategy and balance – but a stunning vehicle most of the world wont be lucky enough to drive (but we on this forum will). We fall into mindless team fanboyism…. But the truth is: My CLS55AMG modified will kick both asses

Ohhh crap – I just did it as well – now going to duck and run for cover….
Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
The fact that post counts equate to "military ranks" states volumes about the basic mentality of that particular forum.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 AM

2011 C63 Sedan White on Black
Talking

this m3 that I see everyday for almost a year changed his plate couple days ago. just to share some lols
there's a lot of M3s in Boston area, most of them being college students. They are always the ones reving engines next to stangs and vettes, and somttimes tuned GTRs and always get murdered.

Some AMG kids here do that too

I've had that time when I first got my C63(even a used) and mock all other performance car but it only lasted for like a week lol. I admire the M3 in all the aspects as a performance car but personally I think it's just too serious and too ambitious as a road car. Yes C63 can't handle for **** but a volcano of torque is all you need in a DD car on the ROAD. The Black Series C just proved that AMG knows how to build a proper car, it's just AMG's trying to use "tire smoke", "big displacement" and "German Muscle Car" to define the brand name just as the BMW M stresses extreme performance as their marketing strategy.

It's all about different tastes, just as Jeremy Clarkson stated in his comparison with the M3 GTS -- "However, I'd still take the Merc. Mostly because it's better on a day-to-day basis, but mainly because, given the choice of what gun I'd like to fire this afternoon, I'd take a big, noisy .50-calibre machine gun over a clean and efficient sniper's rifle any day of the week." best quote ever.
Attached Thumbnails Why are ///M Owners so defensive?-544058_10150762689329813_684489812_11499098_1517698168_n.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why are ///M Owners so defensive?