C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Not my typical weekend.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 GLC63, 2020 M2 Comp, 96 Miata M Edition & 19 Forester
Smile Not my typical weekend.

I have not posted for a while. Got a bit busy working on a new toy setting it up for autocross (a Miata). Anyway a little story I want to share that happen today. While driving back with our c63 from visiting a prospect sheltered dog, we got pulled over by our friendly neighborhood CHP on a motorbike. I saw him too on my left and I knew I could be in trouble because of my side front tints and no front plates (illegal in CA but is still practice by most) - and I was right. The officer was very nice and complimenting of our c63. Our conversation went like this "It's amazing how this car can probably go after some ferraris, huh?" And I could not utter a word thinking I could get myself in trouble. And he was like "oh common we are just having a conversation here." All I could say was "I'm glad you are a car enthusiast as well" and he says "that i am." He gave me a warning for my tint and a fix it for my front plates. I was certain he was going to give me a fix it for my front tints instead he gave me the warning. So should I go ahead and have the tint remove or continue to take my chances? As for my front plates, I always intended to go to the dealer so they can properly drill a hole on my bumper (which is what is stopping me all this time) to afix the plates. But when I got home, I made the effort to check and see how I can install em without drilling a hole and this is what I came up with using a couple of zip ties

My only worry is it's obstructing the airway to the intercooler a little more now but I'm hoping it won't be a significant issue.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
get the rho plate mount in the tow hook, easy on/off
Old 05-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by izzyAMG
I have not posted for a while. Got a bit busy working on a new toy setting it up for autocross (a Miata). Anyway a little story I want to share that happen today. While driving back with our c63 from visiting a prospect sheltered dog, we got pulled over by our friendly neighborhood CHP on a motorbike. I saw him too on my left and I knew I could be in trouble because of my side front tints and no front plates (illegal in CA but is still practice by most) - and I was right. The officer was very nice and complimenting of our c63. Our conversation went like this "It's amazing how this car can probably go after some ferraris, huh?" And I could not utter a word thinking I could get myself in trouble. And he was like "oh common we are just having a conversation here." All I could say was "I'm glad you are a car enthusiast as well" and he says "that i am." He gave me a warning for my tint and a fix it for my front plates. I was certain he was going to give me a fix it for my front tints instead he gave me the warning. So should I go ahead and have the tint remove or continue to take my chances? As for my front plates, I always intended to go to the dealer so they can properly drill a hole on my bumper (which is what is stopping me all this time) to afix the plates. But when I got home, I made the effort to check and see how I can install em without drilling a hole and this is what I came up with using a couple of zip ties

My only worry is it's obstructing the airway to the intercooler a little more now but I'm hoping it won't be a significant issue.
Dont take any chances and use some 3M, still better than drilling the front bumper.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Even Money
get the rho plate mount in the tow hook, easy on/off
Just as this gentleman said, use the rho plate
Old 05-20-2012, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
97 Porsche GT2 Wide Bodied Cabrio, Mercedes G500
He can't use a rho plate..... It will interfere with his parking sensors.

That's how I have my front plate mounted.... Except I made my own mount.

Looks better with the factory plate holder though
Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 c63 sedan
Originally Posted by Rsquad911
He can't use a rho plate..... It will interfere with his parking sensors.

That's how I have my front plate mounted.... Except I made my own mount.

Looks better with the factory plate holder though
Damn you serious, I wanted the rho plate.. So you used zip ties also?

Every time I use zip ties on anything, they break in a few months
Old 05-21-2012, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I just got cited a couple of weeks ago for my front tints. I think I'm going to just chance it. I'm still running without a front plate too, btw.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
97 Porsche GT2 Wide Bodied Cabrio, Mercedes G500
Originally Posted by late_bloomer
Damn you serious, I wanted the rho plate.. So you used zip ties also?

Every time I use zip ties on anything, they break in a few months
8 months now with the same zip ties.... All the way through winter and they are still goood (a few car washes tooo!)

Last edited by Rsquad911; 05-21-2012 at 11:16 PM.