C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

OIL CHANGE technique - new car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63AMG Coupe
OIL CHANGE technique - new car

Picking up a 2012 coupe with 2000 miles next week. I like to change my own oil because I don't need an appointment and can generally do it in the time it takes to drive oneway to the one MB dealer near me. I have a barn with everything but a lift and have been doing routine service on my vehicles for years. So it appears to be a canister filter (paper in a metal housing). Is there a full underbelly pan beneath the engine to drop to get to the oil pan drain plug? If so, are those pan fasteners cheapo plastic like my old S4 Avant? If so I'll buy spares. The filter is probably top mounted and easy to access. What oil is specified ?
I've never even sat in a AMG, but have followed great cars for 35 years. I've driven open wheel and tracked a late model Vette. After looking for something different for my commute, I tried to find a E63 Wagon/R63 but couldn't find one close to what I wanted to spend or color choice.
I have to fly to pick it up and when I return home I will change the oil immediately. No mods planned.
Roadsign went up yesterday stating the township is going to tar and pebble a road leading to my house next week. About an every 5 yr ritual. Stone chips coated in tar lining your wheel wells and side moldings- a car lovers dream !!!! Thanks for any tips, tried searching the oil change here but got nothing.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Remember to open both the pan drain and the oil cooler drain if you want to drain out everything.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 ML350

Here you go its basically the same just make sure to use MOBIL 1 0w-40 or Shell 5w-40 and only use MB AMG certified filters, cheers!

Originally Posted by hansamg
Picking up a 2012 coupe with 2000 miles next week. I like to change my own oil because I don't need an appointment and can generally do it in the time it takes to drive oneway to the one MB dealer near me. I have a barn with everything but a lift and have been doing routine service on my vehicles for years. So it appears to be a canister filter (paper in a metal housing). Is there a full underbelly pan beneath the engine to drop to get to the oil pan drain plug? If so, are those pan fasteners cheapo plastic like my old S4 Avant? If so I'll buy spares. The filter is probably top mounted and easy to access. What oil is specified ?
I've never even sat in a AMG, but have followed great cars for 35 years. I've driven open wheel and tracked a late model Vette. After looking for something different for my commute, I tried to find a E63 Wagon/R63 but couldn't find one close to what I wanted to spend or color choice.
I have to fly to pick it up and when I return home I will change the oil immediately. No mods planned.
Roadsign went up yesterday stating the township is going to tar and pebble a road leading to my house next week. About an every 5 yr ritual. Stone chips coated in tar lining your wheel wells and side moldings- a car lovers dream !!!! Thanks for any tips, tried searching the oil change here but got nothing.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Originally Posted by otakki
Remember to open both the pan drain and the oil cooler drain if you want to drain out everything.
Originally Posted by C63sydney
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_4R0SFS-Q0

Here you go its basically the same just make sure to use MOBIL 1 0w-40 or Shell 5w-40 and only use MB AMG certified filters, cheers!
+63 These guys already said what I wanted!

The other option is to suck the oil out from the top, that's how the dealerships do it. Obviously, you won't get all the oil out that way, especially any in the oil cooler. There's DIY threads on here for extracting from the top too, seems easy and IMO if you change the oil frequently, having a little old oil mixed in isn't the end of the world. Obviously draining it is best to get rid of any deposits that may be on the bottom, but I find the risk of cross threading the plugs or damaging the plastic covers under the car is not worth it--and the many agree that these motors are machined pretty well and shouldn't have too much debris in the oil, unless your engine is ticking a lot (that's another thread and another day!)

Congrats, I hope you get to enjoy the car before the road is surfaced
Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 PM

C63AMG Coupe
Thanks for the help, I am a bottom drainer for sure. I even dump a 1/2 qt of new in after draining, to float out any additional debris, then install plugs/filter and top off. Oil is cheap compared to what they lube. Mobil just recently added more zinc and phosphorous into the 0-40 foreign car oil, after reducing Zn/P a couple years back for ??envirn/emissions reasons. They also increased it in the 15-50 race oil( red or gold label). Supposedly only these two products had it added back. I have about 10 engines running Mobil 1 for years now. I do use Amsoil's Differential, ATF and hydro oils. On the AMG I'll stick to whatever they specify given I got a 6yr/120,000mi CPO warranty.
I can't wait to see this tranny in action. My commute is part Watkins Glen, part Autobahn (if I have an early am start) and the occasional stop light. The occasional deer tests the handling, braking, off-roading at times.
Got the standard headlights, I am sure they will be adequate. I used to always put the 100w offroad bulbs in my hi-beams til things got brighter from the factory about 10 yrs ago.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Lots of people use the suck method. MB actually designed it to be sucked out, thus the filter on top.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:48 AM

12 MB C63
Anyone used the mityvac? would that be lot easier? Are we need the oil filter wrench for taking the cap or just simply crescent wrench will work?
Old 08-26-2012, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by black-clk500
The other option is to suck the oil out from the top, that's how the dealerships do it. Obviously, you won't get all the oil out that way, especially any in the oil cooler. There's DIY threads on here for extracting from the top too, seems easy and IMO if you change the oil frequently, having a little old oil mixed in isn't the end of the world
Go to the PL. They do not recommend the extractor method.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
Get quality parts from rockauto.com for dirt cheap.
https://rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco...,pgname,Engine

Jack the car up

Take off the panel on the bottom

Find the Sump

Locate drainplug

Loosen oil filter housing and unscrew oil cap

Unleash the kraken

Remove old oil filter

Unpackage new oilfilter

Feed the beast

Last edited by yooker; 10-21-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
Originally Posted by AMGFANs
Anyone used the mityvac? would that be lot easier? Are we need the oil filter wrench for taking the cap or just simply crescent wrench will work?
Crescent wrench of 32mm hex socket works
Old 08-26-2012, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by AMGFANs
I do. I only drive about 2k miles a year on it so I have to change the oil based on time and not usage. The oil in the cooler that I do not suck out doesn't worry me. I could always do the drain method every 3rd or forth oil change. Search user Superlubricity. He did a write-up on it years ago.