Michelin PSS - opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Michelin PSS - opinion

So I get that these are the greatest tires ever in many peoples minds...sold. The one thing that I'm concerned with - and I know the probability is low but the results could be catastrophic - if I did end up getting caught in a snow storm - will I be totally stuck? It does NOT snow much where I am at all, but would like to avoid taking the risk if its as dangerous as my previous experience...Im not the type to pull over and call a cab, Im the type to say "I'll make it work..." for better or worse it is what it is.

Thinking back to when I had T1-R's on my last C63, one time it started snowing where I was, and I literally had to slide around going 5mph in order to even move forward. It was ridiculous, not even in reality.

Has anyone gotten stuck in a situation where some snow/ice hits the ground, you get outside to your car and have to drive a short distance? If so, was it do-able, or were you pretty much immobile?

PS - just to reiterate, I get that they arent snow tires, I get that they arent designed for snow/ice/extreme cold, and I dont plan on using them in those conditions, the question is purely to understand if the perfect storm of things happened, am I totally out of luck or can I make it work.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C63
I'm wondering the exact same thing. I am certainly going to hit get snow.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
You can NOT make it work! Some will say they have and I say they are damn lucky.

You will be fu&ked and I'm not exaggerating. I know there will be a few people who will say "take it slow and you will be OK" or "I did it and was fine." I strongly disagree. It happened to me once in a freak early season snow and I will never, ever, ever be caught again. If there is any snow cover on the ground (I'm not saying flurries that melt right away) or any ice, you won't get up even small hills. I wouldn't drive the car in freezing temps either. All you need is a little ice on the ground and you are toast. Summer performance tires aren't supposed to be used below 7 deg celcius (45 Fahrenheit) as the rubber compound gets too hard. Although this is a guide, I can tell you from experience the tires become slippery even on really cold dry pavement.

This isn't just PSS either. Any maximum performance summer tire will do this to one extent or another. The only tire that can handle any amount of even light duty winter work would be all seasons (or preferably performance winter tires) and, as everyone knows, all seasons are complete compromises in summer and winter (i.e. no season tires, really). I would not risk it for a minute in my $75k car.

Either go with all seasons (i.e. no seasons) or swap the PSS for an all season or performance winter for the few months you might have weather issues.

There are threads on M3Post where guys didn't believe this, ran summer tires in winter, got caught in freezing rain or light snow and put the car into a wall or got stuck on a very slight incline. There is no glory in chest thumping on this one. It is just a silly decision with such a beautiful and expensive car.

DO NOT USE SUMMER PERFORMANCE TIRES IN REALLY COLD, ICY (any ice at all), or SNOWY (any snow at all) conditions... PERIOD. Not worth the risk or embarrassment when you tell us you ran into a guard rail with summer tires on when there was a little snow and we tease you relentlessly! Either put the correct tires on for the potential weather or leave the car in the garage. If I seem overly strong on my views of this, it's because I have never understood the rationale for spending a lot of money on a nice car and then putting inappropriate tires on it... arguably the most important safety/performance component on the car. It would be like buying a plane and putting the cheapest engine in it that might not work if the weather got bad

End rant

Last edited by gthal; 09-03-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 C63, 11 Cayenne S
Originally Posted by gthal
You can NOT make it work! Some will say they have and I say they are damn lucky.

You will be fu&ked and I'm not exaggerating. I know there will be a few people who will say "take it slow and you will be OK" or "I did it and was fine." I strongly disagree. It happened to me once in a freak early season snow and I will never, ever, ever be caught again. If there is any snow cover on the ground (I'm not saying flurries that melt right away) or any ice, you won't get up even small hills. I wouldn't drive the car in freezing temps either. All you need is a little ice on the ground and you are toast. Summer performance tires aren't supposed to be used below 7 deg celcius (45 Fahrenheit) as the rubber compound gets too hard. Although this is a guide, I can tell you from experience the tires become slippery even on really cold dry pavement.

This isn't just PSS either. Any maximum performance summer tire will do this to one extent or another. The only tire that can handle any amount of even light duty winter work would be all seasons (or preferably performance winter tires) and, as everyone knows, all seasons are complete compromises in summer and winter (i.e. no season tires, really). I would not risk it for a minute in my $75k car.

Either go with all seasons (i.e. no seasons) or swap the PSS for an all season or performance winter for the few months you might have weather issues.

There are threads on M3Post where guys didn't believe this, ran summer tires in winter, got caught in freezing rain or light snow and put the car into a wall or got stuck on a very slight incline. There is no glory in chest thumping on this one. It is just a silly decision with such a beautiful and expensive car.

DO NOT USE SUMMER PERFORMANCE TIRES IN REALLY COLD, ICY (any ice at all), or SNOWY (any snow at all) conditions... PERIOD. Not worth the risk or embarrassment when you tell us you ran into a guard rail with summer tires on when there was a little snow and we tease you relentlessly! Either put the correct tires on for the potential weather or leave the car in the garage. If I seem overly strong on my views of this, it's because I have never understood the rationale for spending a lot of money on a nice car and then putting inappropriate tires on it... arguably the most important safety/performance component on the car. It would be like buying a plane and putting the cheapest engine in it that might not work if the weather got bad

End rant
I couldn't have said it better myself. Don't even think about snow. Snow tires don't even perform well on cars with over 400hp
Old 09-04-2012, 01:25 AM

2011 SLS AMG, 2009 SL63 AMG, 2008 C63 AMG(SOLD)
They're good tires but I believe they won't help on snowing days
Old 09-04-2012, 01:40 AM
RL1

AMG C63 Affalterbach Edition
it is not just the snow itself but also the temperature...if you read the warnings online, it is not recommended to use summer performance tires below 5 degrees...think of hard rubber hockey pucks sliding on the ice...winter tires are made of softer compound so when the get cold, they can harden a bit without turning into hockey pucks.

depth of tread is another issue.

RL
Old 09-04-2012, 05:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 VW GTI
Don't even think about it... I had summer bridgestones on my '06 STi, was caught out in a quick snow fall, and couldn't make it home, even with awd.

Even after I got vredestein winter tires, it was only adequate traction in light snow only.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Don't try it, not even once. You will 100% not enjoy the drive and your odds of wrecking will never be higher.

Also on dry days the temperature plays a big part like the poster above says.

If you get caught in a storm leave the car parked where it is and either wait out the storm or get it towed back.

Last year I ran full winters and the car still wasn't that great in the snow. This year I am getting a beater for the really bad days, and I"ll probably put All-Seaons on for dry but colder days so I can still drive the car in reasonable winter weather.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
could not agree more with above posts... winter conditions NEEDS winter tires. I even got stuck in 1 inch of snow on proper Performance Winter tires last year... you dont run a marathon with golf shoes! Take the bus on THAT day if it is not worth putting winter tires on...
Old 09-04-2012, 04:52 PM

C63
Great thread and the candidness is much appreciated.

I just purchased a CTA card and I-GO membership because winter is coming and I don't want to be stuck without transportation and I certainly don't want to put others in harms way with my rear wheel drive.

I did that once when I was younger. I had a 1990 mustang GT convertible and was driving in snow on the highway. I held up 4 lanes of traffic because my car couldn't stay in a straight line or go above 15 mph. We get freak storms here in the midwest some times and this was one of them. It came from out of the blue.

Better to play it safe then be sorry.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 PM

(My car); 2012 vw golf TDI manual. (dads car) 2011 C63 Amg. P31. Carbon trim.LSD.
put it on good high performance winter tires and put 4-6 bags of salt or road salt in the trunk and you will be better off than on summer tires or just winters. But do not use the car with summer tires on it in the winter. the best thing would be to not use the car in the winter. that much power to the rear wheels will not mix well with snow.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:37 AM

your mom
I had summer performance tires on a 2007 E550 and I was pretty much ****ed just drivIng in 34F temperature. Don't even ask how it fared as I fishtailed at 15mph or less on extremely thin sheet of snow...