About to buy a 10' C63, what should I know

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 2010
About to buy a 10' C63, what should I know

Hi there,

Quite new here, last week I tested drive a 2010 C63, I'm going to see another one tonight.
I started to read the forum, actually I saw something about a head bolts problem...or coolant leak, etc...

The car I'm aiming has 66 000km on it, new tires, recent brakes, tune-up just done from the dealer so I should be ok for a couple of months.

What should I ask before signing? Any special maintenance, technical bulletin or stuff like this?

What should I NOT do with the car? I like to do lapping one or twice every summer.

I'm driving around 10-12k km/year. The one that I saw, the warranty ends in December 2013.
Is it mandatory to take an extra 2 years of warranty from the dealer? Like I shouldn't leave the dealer without that warranty?

I heard that AMG engines/cars themselve are very reliable so I wasn't scared but after reading throught the forum, not sure anymore

So if you know things I should know prior to buy a C63, it would be very helpful.
Thank you,
Old 07-31-2013, 09:27 PM

C63, 335i
The headbolt issue. You can read about it in the sticky. The coolant loss is associated with the headbold issue.

The car needs just regular Mercedes maintenance, oil changes, brake pads, rotors, etc.

If the car has the P30 or P31 AMG development package, the front rotors are quite expensive so you might want to check the front brake wear and have the dealership change the rotors and pads for you if they are low.

In terms of things not to do with this car, just use common sense. Always use good gas, 91 or 93 octane or higher. Do the required maintenance and services. Tracking the car is fine but just make sure the car's properly prepped beforehand with new brake pads/rotors/fluids. The stock car is prone to overheating on the track and could go into limp mode after a few sessions.

AMG cars and engines are quite reliable mechanically if you look past the bad headbolts and occasional tapping noise these engine makes after not driving them for awhile.

If the car is in the defective headbolt range (run the VIN), I would not take the car unless it had the extra warranty. However, if it's not part of the defective headbold group, then I would say you are fine. The roof rail is prone to peeling after a few years if you park your car in the sun all day.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by JP_10
Hi there,

Quite new here, last week I tested drive a 2010 C63, I'm going to see another one tonight.
I started to read the forum, actually I saw something about a head bolts problem...or coolant leak, etc...

The car I'm aiming has 66 000km on it, new tires, recent brakes, tune-up just done from the dealer so I should be ok for a couple of months.

What should I ask before signing? Any special maintenance, technical bulletin or stuff like this?

What should I NOT do with the car? I like to do lapping one or twice every summer.

I'm driving around 10-12k km/year. The one that I saw, the warranty ends in December 2013.
Is it mandatory to take an extra 2 years of warranty from the dealer? Like I shouldn't leave the dealer without that warranty?

I heard that AMG engines/cars themselve are very reliable so I wasn't scared but after reading throught the forum, not sure anymore

So if you know things I should know prior to buy a C63, it would be very helpful.
Thank you,
If buying from an MB dealer use the head bolt issue as a negotiating point and try to have them upgrade to CPO to give you an extra year warranty.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, C55 (Sold)
Originally Posted by SM-AMG
If the car is in the defective headbolt range (run the VIN), I would not take the car unless it had the extra warranty. However, if it's not part of the defective headbold group, then I would say you are fine. The roof rail is prone to peeling after a few years if you park your car in the sun all day.
+ 1 on this. Be sure that you get a warranty just in case. Otherwise you will be paying more than 5k in engine repairs alone.

You can also be proactive and replace those headbolts with the ones from the M159 (SLS) engine (other brands are also available). That will cost you 3k more or less (from the forum info).
Old 08-01-2013, 11:59 AM

C63 2010
So depending on the VIN, I'll be able to know if the car is part of the defective batch of C63?
I don't want to spend 5k$ on the engine...

I spoke about that issue with the dealer and, obviously, wasn't aware of anything...
I'll get the VIN and will read more about this headbolt issue
Old 08-01-2013, 12:32 PM

09 C300 4MATIC, 09 C63 AMG
where can we look up and see if our VIN is in the range?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
ALL 2010s and some very early 2011s are in the bad range. It seems more common than it probably is due to the fact that many are reported on here. in any case, CPO is the way to go. I definitely would not get a modded car (wheels and cosmetic stuff are fine, but suspension or anything performance stuff I would stay away from). If you have an independent mechanic in your area, get a pre-purchase inspection anyway, even if it's a CPO car.

Things I wouldn't live without:
LSD
Lighting package (who makes a $60k car with halogens?!)
Multimedia package
Keyless go is nice but one I could live without (C'mon...all Nissans have it. freakin' MB nickle and diming us)
Old 08-01-2013, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
Was the headbolt issue specific to a particular year? Is it covered under warranty
Old 08-01-2013, 01:27 PM

C63 2010
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
ALL 2010s and some very early 2011s are in the bad range. It seems more common than it probably is due to the fact that many are reported on here. in any case, CPO is the way to go. I definitely would not get a modded car (wheels and cosmetic stuff are fine, but suspension or anything performance stuff I would stay away from). If you have an independent mechanic in your area, get a pre-purchase inspection anyway, even if it's a CPO car.

Things I wouldn't live without:
LSD
Lighting package (who makes a $60k car with halogens?!)
Multimedia package
Keyless go is nice but one I could live without (C'mon...all Nissans have it. freakin' MB nickle and diming us)
So it's a 2010, it means that for sure the engine is part of the bad batch?

Sorry what do you call CPO? Certified...??
The car is 100% stock.

I think Canadian car and American car are differents....here we don't have lighting package, they all come with HID. The car as keyless entry feature and onbaord computer, GPS...
LSD is coming only with the Performance package, right?
Old 08-01-2013, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
2010 has the old headbolts that sometimes break, yes.
CPO=Certified Preowned. used to be called Starmark I think. It's the type of warranty.
LSD can be a standalone option, but P30 and P31 cars definitely have LSD. Sounds like it's a nice car, and you can always add LSD aftermarket if you want and it will be a better LSD. Quaife and Wavetrac come to mind. OS Giken is another but requires machining and is $$$$
Old 08-01-2013, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by papashango
Was the headbolt issue specific to a particular year? Is it covered under warranty
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-problems.html
Old 08-01-2013, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
In 2010 the LSD was a separate option (471) from the APX P31 package in Canada.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obsidian Black 2009 C63 w/ P30 Package
Originally Posted by swagkingcole
where can we look up and see if our VIN is in the range?
you need the datacard for the built of the car

I believe Valvestud and along with a few others have access to pulling the datacard for the car thru the vin and can see which value its at either before or after the change in headbolts
Old 08-01-2013, 08:45 PM

C63, 335i
Yep there are a few members on mbworld I believe that can help you look up the VIN and tell you whether it's in the defective batch.

The stock LSD is not that big of a deal breaker considering there are much better aftermarket alternatives. Plus, the stock LSD will eventually wear out and you'll be forced to go with an aftermarket one anyway since it relies on clutches inside to achieve the 30% whereas aftermarket ones are capable of near 100%
Old 08-02-2013, 08:44 AM

C63 2010
Ok the one I'm aiming doesn't have the Performance Package so, nor the LSD and nor the carbon brakes.
FYI, in Canada, the retail price of one of these carbon disc at the dealer is 1 900$....

The VIN of the car is finishing by 514805 so I think I'm not in the good batch....
Weirdly, every dealer I'm talking with (technical advisors) aren't aware at all of that headbolts problem!!!

Good news, I thought there was only 5 months warranty remaining but, it's 1 year and 5 months so....not so bad....I have time to think if I'll need an extended warranty after
Old 08-02-2013, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
Ok the one I'm aiming doesn't have the Performance Package so, nor the LSD and nor the carbon brakes.
FYI, in Canada, the retail price of one of these carbon disc at the dealer is 1 900$....

The VIN of the car is finishing by 514805 so I think I'm not in the good batch....
Weirdly, every dealer I'm talking with (technical advisors) aren't aware at all of that headbolts problem!!!

Good news, I thought there was only 5 months warranty remaining but, it's 1 year and 5 months so....not so bad....I have time to think if I'll need an extended warranty after
Make sure the car is eligible for the extended warranty before you purchase. Call MBUSA and confirm this. Not all in-warranty vehicles are eligible for an extension.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:22 PM

C63 2010
I'm suppose to receive a phone call back from somebody from Mercedes today so, I'll ask about that extended warranty.

I've been talking with 3 technical advisors since I'm looking for infor about that headbolts problem and nobody is aware of anything about this problem....cannot believe that!!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)

The brakes on the APX P31 package are compound rotors (cast disc;aluminum hat) not 'carbon'. Carbon discs are a lot more money.

To determine if the car is in the range of those that have the older head bolts you need to go by the engine number and not the VIN.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
While it is true that you verify the range of "bad" engines with the engine number, ALL 2010s are within that range so it's a waste of time to look it up. Done. You know. I don't see why people are still saying he should look it up.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:12 AM

C63 2010
Ok well yeah I was hoping that maybe....but ok, the engine is mounted with the older head bolts...case closed
Still the car is under warranty for another year and half...so should be fine no? I mean, not all the engine are having problem I think!
Should do a first offer on the car tomorrow....dreaming about it almost every night so...
I maybe should aim for another car knowing that this one can be problematic but still....
Sometime Karma can be a real *****
Just realizing that you better be under warranty if you're driving that type of car...but I can manage that!!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
I say make an offer. The headbolt thing probably *knock on wood* isn't that common. And the warranty should cover it (verify before purchase) and as stated above, make sure the car is eligible for an extended warranty if you plan to keep the car longer. Otherwise it should be pretty trouble free. Enjoy and good luck.