C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Service Advisor Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
So today, I went on ahead and asked my service advisor if I could install 2012 "facelift" LED tail light on my 2011 "pre-facelift" with a 2012 programmed rear SAM unit. He wouldn't let me do it and I am really disappointed. I really wanted these LED tail lights on my car as the halogen ones look like crap. In addition, I do not want aftermarket "plug n play" lights as they tend to fail and make buzzing sounds.

I would like your opinions on what I should do. I desperately want these LED tail lights. Are Mercedes dealerships really that strict on simple non-performance modifications? Was it just this service advisor that was strict and should I try another dealership?

Thanks

Last edited by w204_Generic; 01-15-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
Originally Posted by w204_Generic
........ Are Mercedes dealerships really that strict.........
Generally yes. Yes. And yes.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12' ML350 4M & 10' E350 4M
Why does it matter what he says? It not like he's making your monthly payments. I've seen other people do it and it's a very nice upgrade! Do it and if your SA has something to say give him my number LOL
Old 01-15-2014, 04:55 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by jordanaf

Generally yes. Yes. And yes.
Well that's a shame. My brother has a BMW under warranty and the BMW dealership allows him to do everything......dissapointing.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:00 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by mb_21
Why does it matter what he says? It not like he's making your monthly payments. I've seen other people do it and it's a very nice upgrade! Do it and if your SA has something to say give him my number LOL
It matters what he says, because I do not want the extended warranty voided; I have to go what he says or go to a different dealer. He apparently thinks it messes with the electrical system, when it obviously doesn't. There is no cutting of any sort, its just putting in a 2012 rear SAM and installing the lights and that's it. It's not like I'm using aftermarket parts. I'm using complete OEM parts, the OEM rear sam unit and OEM tail lights. Funny thing is he has a old VW and he tuned the hell out of it and its slammed.....Makes no sense to me...

Last edited by w204_Generic; 01-15-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Your warranty would be fine, except for the areas being modified. In this case, if you switch teh lights out (FYI, not halogen), and the new ones work for a month, and fail, if you go to the dealer they will deny you warranty coverage... but if you engine explodes, you should still be good.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Your warranty would be fine, except for the areas being modified. In this case, if you switch teh lights out (FYI, not halogen), and the new ones work for a month, and fail, if you go to the dealer they will deny you warranty coverage... but if you engine explodes, you should still be good.
Your absolutely right. The warranty being voided is more towards engine upgrades. I understand that OP doesn't want to void a warranty that he paid anywhere from $1500-$3500 for. Just make the change and start servicing at a another MB stealership.

It's funny that your saying his car is highly modified but he would allow you to change your light, hypocrite!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:58 PM

Btw W204_generic I just seen some pictures of your ride. Beautiful ride man!! When I turned 16 my dad handed me the keys to his 02 S500 and I absolutely fell in love with MB from then on. Hopefully the same happens to you.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:23 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Your absolutely right. The warranty being voided is more towards engine upgrades. I understand that OP doesn't want to void a warranty that he paid anywhere from $1500-$3500 for. Just make the change and start servicing at a another MB stealership.

It's funny that your saying his car is highly modified but he would allow you to change your light, hypocrite!!!
Alright. He told me about how if I have an electrical problem, these lights would be the blame for it and warranty voided, not the lights itself. I just don't see how I could have an electrical problem with this.

Yeah and then he decides to show me his car and say "look what I did, I'm so low a can can't even fit under my car." I honestly wanted to say "I could give to sh**s of what you did to your car, are you trying to brag to me?"

Originally Posted by jvanbrecht

Is this really true? What he was saying is something with an electrical problem....I did not really know what he was trying to say to me. Is it because I have to replace the rear fuse box with a 2012 model rear fuse box?

Btw W204_generic I just seen some pictures of your ride. Beautiful ride man!! When I turned 16 my dad handed me the keys to his 02 S500 and I absolutely fell in love with MB from then on. Hopefully the same happens to you.
Thanks man! Those are old pictures though, the things I have done now are 20% tint around and 50% windshield tint. I Will be going to get my grill painted satin black, but only the white slats not the chrome. I personally think chrome looks good on a black car. Once that's done I will be posting pictures if people care lol. I really like MB, just hate the limitations the dealerships put on us. We bought the car and we should have the right to do whatever we want to it. As I said above my brother has a BMW 335i and the dealership let him do everything. They even installed his catless downpipes for him.

Last edited by w204_Generic; 01-15-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Do not expect MB dealers to install options or modification that were not bought originally with the car. Some might be lucky to have SA willing to do it but generally speaking you will be better off with an knowledgeable indy shop.
And since almost everything is VIN coded they cannot do whatever they want.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:58 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by abcut973
Do not expect MB dealers to install options or modification that were not bought originally with the car. Some might be lucky to have SA willing to do it but generally speaking you will be better off with an knowledgeable indy shop.
And since almost everything is VIN coded they cannot do whatever they want.
I wasn't asking for them to install it. I was asking them if getting these tail lights would void the warranty.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My bad i misunderstood.
So basically you asked your SA for a permission to install LED facelift tailights with a facelift rear SAM?
Well you don't need to ask. Do it! Keep your original SAM unit and tailights.
I doubt this will void warranty if you have an engine failure.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:30 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
My bad i misunderstood.
So basically you asked your SA for a permission to install LED facelift tailights with a facelift rear SAM?
Well you don't need to ask. Do it! Keep your original SAM unit and tailights.
I doubt this will void warranty if you have an engine failure.
Okay, so let's say I get some sort of error while the new facelift tail lights have been installed for a while. What should I do?

I just need a follow up on what my options are. Should I just revert back to the old lights when I need to bring it in or what?

Kind off off topic but I know how to install the lights, just worried about the rear Sam unit. Is this hard to install?
Old 01-15-2014, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The rear sam install is plug and play as long as it is programmed correctly.
All you need is a pry tool to help you remove the push pin for the trunk lining, one bolt to remove in order to access the unit and then 4 main connectors to unplug like an xbox.
Do the reverse process to install the new unit and that's it.
Make sure to disconnect your battery first for piece of mind.

see DIY here: https://mbworld.org/forums/5423441-post333.html

If you get an error which i doubt will happen just put back your stock parts.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:27 AM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
The rear sam install is plug and play as long as it is programmed correctly.
All you need is a pry tool to help you remove the push pin for the trunk lining, one bolt to remove in order to access the unit and then 4 main connectors to unplug like an xbox.
Do the reverse process to install the new unit and that's it.
Make sure to disconnect your battery first for piece of mind.

see DIY here: https://mbworld.org/forums/5423441-post333.html

If you get an error which i doubt will happen just put back your stock parts.
https://mbworld.org/forums/5423441-post333.html
Oh alright. Sounds simple enough.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
You can't expect to change things on the car, even with o parts and expect MB to pick up the tab when you have issues down the road.

They spend millions in RD, what you're doing they haven't tested, so how can you expect them to honour that.

Same thing as me wanting sls cams, or carbon ceramic brakes, it's oem. You can't modify it then ask for help.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:15 AM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Merc63
You can't expect to change things on the car, even with o parts and expect MB to pick up the tab when you have issues down the road.

They spend millions in RD, what you're doing they haven't tested, so how can you expect them to honour that.

Same thing as me wanting sls cams, or carbon ceramic brakes, it's oem. You can't modify it then ask for help.
I agree but I did not want to do anything performance wise, which would void the warranty. He would allow me to do everything I wanted on the exterior including wheels without voiding any warranty but the OEM led lights and coilovers.(I can obviously understand why no coilovers)

I am still going to do the lights now that there is hope. I just don't understand how it could even void warranty? I will just have to take them out and but it my original tails when service is due.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
They cant void your warranty for putting on some silly lights. He is just trying to deter you. Whenever they black list / void warranty on a car they have to provide the mb regional rep a reason. example - car was totalled/extensive poorly done repairs at aftmkt shop/highly modified etc... Saying you changed some light wont. Now if you replace your sam/recode it and install the lights. Anything that the rear sam controls could potentially be voided. So just tread lightly and be very upfront and honest if strange issues arise. Chances are if it's done right you'll never see a problem.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:03 AM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
They cant void your warranty for putting on some silly lights. He is just trying to deter you. Whenever they black list / void warranty on a car they have to provide the mb regional rep a reason. example - car was totalled/extensive poorly done repairs at aftmkt shop/highly modified etc... Saying you changed some light wont. Now if you replace your sam/recode it and install the lights. Anything that the rear sam controls could potentially be voided. So just tread lightly and be very upfront and honest if strange issues arise. Chances are if it's done right you'll never see a problem.
Alright,

Thanks!