C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Air intake system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 AMG
Air intake system

Anyone has tryed the CF air intake system from Carbonio?

Does it really increased the hp and torque for our m156?

I have noticed that they are using the K&N filters, heared about the CEL problem, will it really happen?
Old 05-05-2014, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
i have one and yes they look good but for the money id put it towards the exhasut
you will gain more
Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
Originally Posted by mr747
i have one and yes they look good but for the money id put it towards the exhasut
you will gain more
most people say the row airbox will do just as good. search carbonio intake here and you will find many posts.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:30 AM

C63 Weistec Supercharged
I have one fitted and no problems with CEL. They look stunning and i always get good comments with the bonnet open (sorry the hood)

However as above for the money you wont get much HP increase if any.

Jerry from Eurocharged did say expect about 10BHP gain (I bought mine from Eurocharged)
Old 05-05-2014, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
Originally Posted by ruey220
most people say the row airbox will do just as good. search carbonio intake here and you will find many posts.
i have row airboxes from the factory so i elected to change to carbonio
Look boxes look great but alot of money for almost no gain
Old 05-05-2014, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
I'd recommend performing a search regarding the intake.

There has been considerable discussion about it in other threads. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:55 AM

2014 C63 AMG
uuh, Thanks guys. I just checked some of those threads, it becomes complicated,,,,,,,

Hope more info coming, I know the Row aix box may be the better choice, since it almost has no gain. Bur I am crazy about the CF looking. And, GL for myself.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by yzhou
uuh, Thanks guys. I just checked some of those threads, it becomes complicated,,,,,,,

Hope more info coming, I know the Row aix box may be the better choice, since it almost has no gain. Bur I am crazy about the CF looking. And, GL for myself.
I know what you mean. There's some debate regarding whether it actually provides some performance gains.

What I gather from that is if there's controversy regarding whether it's a performance mod, chances are any gains you would see would be minimal.

Thus, it comes down to whether you're comfortable dishing out that kind of coin for engine bay "bling."
Old 05-05-2014, 03:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Crude analogy time:

You're running a 100 meter dash breathing only through a straw vs breathing normally through your mouth. Are you going to run any faster in either case? More than likely not.

What I'm getting at is that without a significant change in "structure," mentally (ie. software) or physically (ie. supercharger, exhaust), you're not going to increase any significant HP. That's why they say that larger airboxes should to used with supercharger applications to maximize significant HP over stock.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:36 AM

2014 C63 AMG
I know what you mean. There's some debate regarding whether it actually provides some performance gains.

"What I gather from that is if there's controversy regarding whether it's a performance mod, chances are any gains you would see would be minimal.

Thus, it comes down to whether you're comfortable dishing out that kind of coin for engine bay "bling.""

"Crude analogy time:

You're running a 100 meter dash breathing only through a straw vs breathing normally through your mouth. Are you going to run any faster in either case? More than likely not.

What I'm getting at is that without a significant change in "structure," mentally (ie. software) or physically (ie. supercharger, exhaust), you're not going to increase any significant HP. That's why they say that larger airboxes should to used with supercharger applications to maximize significant HP over stock."

I believe it will work, may be not alot. But, I like the looking of it. What I really care is that some people said they have the CEL problem.
Thank you guys for the patiently replies.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by tfthach13
Crude analogy time:

What I'm getting at is that without a significant change in "structure," mentally (ie. software) or physically (ie. supercharger, exhaust), you're not going to increase any significant HP. That's why they say that larger airboxes should to used with supercharger applications to maximize significant HP over stock.
I don't think that's the right analogy, because a car and the human body has enough different components and structure with what causes the best performance and output. so what are the headers of the car? your mouth? and the intake is your nose? In a car there is a direct correlation to output vs the human body where you can run for a period of time without breathing whatsoever. Just like in swimming.

Headers are know for a fact to make the best improvement gains on this car and that is a component of the breathing for the car. The intake should match the air that is capable of going out of these engines.

definitely we can agree the charcoal filters plus the flat spot on the intake covers restrict airflow to a certain degree, enough of a degree that a few ponies would be lost at higher rpms. after realizing the benefits of the airbox mods, I realized the extra space on the ROW boxes vs the flatspot of the stock US boxes are almost like a throttle body enlargement, why some people increase and bore/port the TBs to get a few extra horsepower.

The argument some say that few horses don't make a difference in performance is the difference in preference from those that car less to buy a P30/P31 package and those that do. Simply because you don't believe a few horses make the experience better, doesn't mean it's not worthwhile. some may believe it's not worth the extra money spent but some do. but don't try to rationalize why you wouldn't do an upgrade like intake adjustment vs someone that does.

the point I was trying to make is if you are going to do an intake upgrade, the difference between ROW and carbonio would probably be negligible because other factors offset each other such as the intake temp of the carbonio material which I was told has more heat soak vs the stock ones which has better insulation. further the neck diameters of both systems are the same.

one thing I do find interesting would be to combine the Gruppe M intake with a Row box to "ram" air in at higher speeds. I have used ram air intakes in several other setups and it does significantly improve throttle response as well as engine sound.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:17 AM

2014 C63 AMG
Hey, dude. I just checked the gruppem intake. They look really amazing and aggressive. But, the price amazed me more. Btw I need to get a Set of row box with it.

I like it, but I need to find a way to get those money you shouldn't give me that info. I cannot stop thinking it right now....
Old 05-05-2014, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by yzhou
Hey, dude. I just checked the gruppem intake. They look really amazing and aggressive. But, the price amazed me more. Btw I need to get a Set of row box with it.

I like it, but I need to find a way to get those money you shouldn't give me that info. I cannot stop thinking it right now....
lol come on, you could afford payments for an AMG so go all the way. since we're all cheap at some point, the key is to find a way to get this stuff cheaper than retail. search up row airbox part numbers and In that thread I believe you will find the cheapest way to get the row boxes.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
I have the Renntech Intake, which I believe is the only dyno proven airbox.

To me its a nice ornament and it makes my car sound great. But not much in terms of power gains.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kriston
I have the Renntech Intake, which I believe is the only dyno proven airbox.

To me its a nice ornament and it makes my car sound great. But not much in terms of power gains.
renntech is good but price/performance gains I like the ROW better. I rather put the $2k into the suspension. If I had $2500 for an airbox for +10hp I would have got a black series instead.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
I don't think that's the right analogy, because a car and the human body has enough different components and structure with what causes the best performance and output. so what are the headers of the car? your mouth? and the intake is your nose? In a car there is a direct correlation to output vs the human body where you can run for a period of time without breathing whatsoever. Just like in swimming.
I did say crude analogy.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by tfthach13
I did say crude analogy.
understood. I just wanted to argue the flip side that it does help a bit
Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
For sure, My engine tenps did drop an average of 5 degrees compared to the stock boxes. Thats a plus.

Its a piece i have always wanted so i got it. Would i do it differently if i had to do it again? probably not, as its only the first piece to my full bolt on / Light weight endeavour.

renntech is good but price/performance gains I like the ROW better. I rather put the $2k into the suspension. If I had $2500 for an airbox for +10hp I would have got a black series instead.