Sponsored by:

What drop should I do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
What drop should I do?

Hi all - well, I'm excited as I should be getting my new 19" Klassen M52Rs relatively soon (9" front with 245/35, 10" rear with 275/30 Hankook Ventus Evo tires), but I've got no drop at this point. I'm driving a 2014 C63 coupe, with the Eurocharged V5 tune, and I don't expect to be lugging around 3 passengers (1 max, maybe 2 every once in a blue moon) and no luggage, bricks, etc.

Question is - what drop can I do? If I spring for a set of KW V3s, I'll get more flexibility than the 0.75" which the H&R springs offer up. Anyone have experience with this setup (wheels, coilovers, etc.)? How much drop can I setup without rubbing, and I want no rubbing ever if possible. PS I'd give offsets on the Klassens but I've been unable to get those #s...

Thanks

PPS I'll be using this for street driving only, to/from work, but some of that is quite spirited since I live in the country... No track.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
I have always said...
If the vehicle doesn't hit the track, springs are all you NEED. If you want a baller status on the street and don't mind spending the coin, then coils are the way to go.
If it will be a track car, coils are the way to go.
I personally just picked up springs myself as it fits my profile. Never had coils so I don't know what I am missing out on that everyone claims coils give you.

Good luck and as always Happy Modding!
Old 07-02-2014, 05:50 AM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by Autosport7
I have always said...
If the vehicle doesn't hit the track, springs are all you NEED. If you want a baller status on the street and don't mind spending the coin, then coils are the way to go.
If it will be a track car, coils are the way to go.
I personally just picked up springs myself as it fits my profile. Never had coils so I don't know what I am missing out on that everyone claims coils give you.

Good luck and as always Happy Modding!
Thanks. I noticed on your sig you added spaces F&R - are you running the stock 18" wheels, H&Rs, any pad changes with your springs? I certainly considered H&R but was wary that they gave a fixed 3/4" drop F&R, with no room for adjustment outside of adding different pad sizes.

Now I've got to decide if I want baller status...
Old 07-02-2014, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jcfay
Thanks. I noticed on your sig you added spaces F&R - are you running the stock 18" wheels, H&Rs, any pad changes with your springs? I certainly considered H&R but was wary that they gave a fixed 3/4" drop F&R, with no room for adjustment outside of adding different pad sizes.

Now I've got to decide if I want baller status...
I am currently running oem suspension as my H&R's haven't arrived yet.
Once They do, I will install them along with the 17mm pad (rear) for what many consider the perfect drop. I will reinstall my spacers and see where I am at. I am currently running 235 fr and 265 rr so if I had to guess there may be some rubbing in the rear. I will adjust accordingly, if I have to go to a 10mm spacer front and rear I will.
Baller status is awesome, but I can think of other ways to spend $4k that will get me a return on my cash.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:03 AM

2018 AMG E63s
Anyone know what the cost in labor difference is for install of coilovers versus springs/pads? Should be pretty close, right, if you get a reputable shop? It's amazing to me that going from a 12mm to a 10mm spacer might eliminate any rub, too, is that right? 2mm is mighty small, and with wheel travel, winter potholes only still slowly getting filled in here in the Northeast, speedbumps, etc., I'd really be surprised if a 2mm change would actually eliminate a rub.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jcfay
Anyone know what the cost in labor difference is for install of coilovers versus springs/pads? Should be pretty close, right, if you get a reputable shop? It's amazing to me that going from a 12mm to a 10mm spacer might eliminate any rub, too, is that right? 2mm is mighty small, and with wheel travel, winter potholes only still slowly getting filled in here in the Northeast, speedbumps, etc., I'd really be surprised if a 2mm change would actually eliminate a rub.
To answer your question, yes 2mm can make the difference in a rub or not, but I guess it depends if I am only rubbing by 2mm or less... Won't know until I get the springs on tbh.
I have never rubbed with the oem suspension, even after hitting big dips, but that means nothing until I get the H&R's on.
I am thinking I can have the springs on in less than 2 hours both front and rear. Most time consuming part is compressing the springs as I will have to rent a spring compressors and do them manually.
Rears should be a breeze as they look just like my BMW 3 series set up as they are not mounted over the struts.
Then I will have the alignment done making sure I am still in spec and will place the spacers back on to see where I stand.

As for labor costs... Shouldn't be much of a difference at all tbh.