C63 507 Edition Smoking | NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 02:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63s
C63 507 Edition Smoking | NEED HELP!

Hello everyone,

So lets begin the story from the beginning. When I first purchased my C63 507 Edition, the car had 2 miles. At around 400 miles, I encountered a problem with blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, proceeding for about 10-15 seconds then it would disappear. Yesterday night I was leaving my friends house when I started my car, noticing it started to smoke again. I opened my door and noticed it was not like before where it would disappear. It kept going. Not to say, the smoke issue did happen a several times before. I did take the car to the dealer when it first happened at around 400 miles and the dealer told me that "Don't worry about it, it's a powerful motor, it happens usually." LOL

I just took the car in today morning and got a call back saying that I need to put my resonator back on because they think the problem is that.

Has anyone encountered this before? Does anyone know what it could be from?

Check out the video
Old 07-18-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 P31 Coupe 13'
An evil-eye just hit you xD
Old 07-18-2014, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Barolo red C63 AMG (SOLD).13' P31 c63 coupe 2012 porsche panamera
Beautiful car. Beautiful color. Beautiful cf parts. But that smoke is no way in heck normal. Full catless isnt even like that...take it somewhere else.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 Edition
Happens with mine every once and a while....less frequent now that I have 3000 KLMs on it....its normal
Old 07-18-2014, 03:10 PM

2018 E63s
Originally Posted by MaroonC63
Beautiful car. Beautiful color. Beautiful cf parts. But that smoke is no way in heck normal. Full catless isnt even like that...take it somewhere else.
I am picking up the car today from the dealer because the dealer called saying your resonator is removed so we would have to charge $500 if you want us to do a diagnostic test without a resonator.

Originally Posted by rickclass
Happens with mine every once and a while....less frequent now that I have 3000 KLMs on it....its normal
The car has 3,100 miles on it. I don't think its normal for it to smoke like that. If I leave it on for 2 minutes, the whole street would smoke out.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
That's such a lame excuse, and why I'm afraid to mod my car too much.

Is it an AMG Performance Center or whatever that is called? I bought my car at one and they seemed more mod friendly (talked of installing LTH and sending the ECU out - funny at the time I thought he was crazy).

My home dealer I'm afraid would note my exhaust mods in the MB system during a sevice visit, and then later deny warranty service for something unrelated due to it.

I probably exaggerate both dealers positions.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Something is happening on one bank. Resonator shouldn't be the issue.
Take it to an indie shop or another MB dealership.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Dealer must not have seen your coil-overs or they would blame those too.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
Put the resonator back on and go to a different dealership. Diagnostic fee is such a sham.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 507, 911 Carrera, Range Rover, Disco
Mine has done this once or twice...then it goes away. It makes me drive it harder. I would not worry about it. Just drive it hard. I have flogged mine from day one.

One thing though and this is the issue when you mod with a warranty...you are taking your chances of having something fixed. MB can come up with any excuse they want to deny you a claim (if there is actually something wrong) which in this case I doubt. I can't blame them, they don't know who/what has been done to your car. Mod after warranty or take your chances...

What is your oil level like? Oil is getting somewhere it shouldn't but I seriously doubt anything is wrong with your motor, unless this is an every time you start the car type issue.

If it comes and goes don't worry.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:51 PM

2012 S550, 2012 C63
I use to have a 911 turbo that smoked like a ******* every once in a while. But it was always both sides when it did it. I'd be concerned for yours as it appears to only smoke right side.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
These motors smoke on cold start up but should disapear as soon as the idle speed drops down. What you are describing and show in the video does not appear to be normal. Resonators would have noting to do with this either. I don't run primary cats on any on my cars and none of them smoke like that. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
Definitely not normal. Surprised it hasnt thrown any codes. Please find another dealership or goto BenzWorks in Huntington Beach. I'm sure they will find whats going on.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:30 PM

2018 E63s
Originally Posted by rediesel
That's such a lame excuse, and why I'm afraid to mod my car too much.

Is it an AMG Performance Center or whatever that is called? I bought my car at one and they seemed more mod friendly (talked of installing LTH and sending the ECU out - funny at the time I thought he was crazy).

My home dealer I'm afraid would note my exhaust mods in the MB system during a sevice visit, and then later deny warranty service for something unrelated due to it.

I probably exaggerate both dealers positions.
Originally Posted by abcut973
Something is happening on one bank. Resonator shouldn't be the issue.
Take it to an indie shop or another MB dealership.
Originally Posted by rediesel
Dealer must not have seen your coil-overs or they would blame those too.
Originally Posted by Sidv22
Put the resonator back on and go to a different dealership. Diagnostic fee is such a sham.
Originally Posted by ParkerK
Mine has done this once or twice...then it goes away. It makes me drive it harder. I would not worry about it. Just drive it hard. I have flogged mine from day one.

One thing though and this is the issue when you mod with a warranty...you are taking your chances of having something fixed. MB can come up with any excuse they want to deny you a claim (if there is actually something wrong) which in this case I doubt. I can't blame them, they don't know who/what has been done to your car. Mod after warranty or take your chances...

What is your oil level like? Oil is getting somewhere it shouldn't but I seriously doubt anything is wrong with your motor, unless this is an every time you start the car type issue.

If it comes and goes don't worry.
Originally Posted by zblake
I use to have a 911 turbo that smoked like a ******* every once in a while. But it was always both sides when it did it. I'd be concerned for yours as it appears to only smoke right side.
Originally Posted by jrcart
These motors smoke on cold start up but should disapear as soon as the idle speed drops down. What you are describing and show in the video does not appear to be normal. Resonators would have noting to do with this either. I don't run primary cats on any on my cars and none of them smoke like that. Good luck.
Originally Posted by johnnyblaze
Definitely not normal. Surprised it hasnt thrown any codes. Please find another dealership or goto BenzWorks in Huntington Beach. I'm sure they will find whats going on.
You guys think it would be safe to drive it for a few days to see what happens? I did notice today morning when I started the car to take it to the dealer the smoke was pretty much gone.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
I would get it checked somewhere else since it is not the first time this is happening to you. Just for piece of mind.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'17 MB G63 AMG
OP,

I've been embarrased by the volume of smoke that appeared to linger for a short duration, upon pressing the Start button...

I noticed that it happened when I blipped the throttle right before I would tun off/stop my car. When I would return to my car, approx two hours later, after a work out, this is when I experienced the lingering and voluminous smoke.

Since I stopped blipping the throttle pedal right b/4 I turn off my car, I've not noticed smoke coming from the exhaust.

The "blipping of the throttle" right b/4 turning off my car, was a stupid habit I got into, b/c I've owned numerous motorcycles, to include carbed bikes, from back in the day... Yeah, it took me this long to stop this stupid habit, lol.

So, to close my observation, are you by chance blipping your throttle pedal right before stopping your car?

Cheers/BB
Old 07-18-2014, 05:31 PM

2018 E63s
Originally Posted by BenDiem
OP,

I've been embarrased by the volume of smoke that appeared to linger for a short duration, upon pressing the Start button...

I noticed that it happened when I blipped the throttle right before I would tun off/stop my car. When I would return to my car, approx two hours later, after a work out, this is when I experienced the lingering and voluminous smoke.

Since I stopped blipping the throttle pedal right b/4 I turn off my car, I've not noticed smoke coming from the exhaust.

The "blipping of the throttle" right b/4 turning off my car, was a stupid habit I got into, b/c I've owned numerous motorcycles, to include carbed bikes, from back in the day... Yeah, it took me this long to stop this stupid habit, lol.

So, to close my observation, are you by chance blipping your throttle pedal right before stopping your car?

Cheers/BB
If your referring to revving the car before shutting it off, I don't think I've ever done that. But I was driving aggressive on the way to the destination but nothing too crazy. I also let the engine run for a minute when I park then shut the engine off.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Your car can be burning coolant
Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 PM

2018 E63s
Update: Just picked up the car from the dealer and it seemed fine. No smoke or anything. I got home parked the car while car still running and the smoke started to slowly start again. I guess I will be putting resonator back on and taking it to the dealer just to prove them wrong.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Is it always one side like the video? How do the tailpipes look. Especially sooty, especially on that side?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
I will bet that smoke has a nice sweet smell to it.

No doubt you have a bad head gasket or a cracked head. On shut down the pressure in the cooling system will push coolant into a cylinder. On start up, you get that white smoke until it burns off.

No, this is not normal. It is just that simple.

With that low mileage many times they will swap the whole engine and have the current one sent back for examination.

Get an oil sample tested and it will show coolant in the engine oil.

G
Old 07-18-2014, 09:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Not normal, not normal, not normal. Crappy mechanics. There is something wrong, definitely wrong in my opinion.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
We all know here that the resonator has nothing to do with the smoke issue, BUT put it back on before the dealership starts to cry refusal of warranty.
That smoke out one bank is not normal by any means, is the oil level high for any reason ( overfilled ), even a inoperative PCV would smoke out both sides.
Could be the o rings at the bottom of the sparkplug holes leaking oil into that area and then seeping down the threads.
But no matter what it turns out to be, put that resonator back on and return the car to stock before they try to bend you over.
The car is too new to throw away potential MB support. Show the new dealership the video if you want to prove your issue happens.

Have you been monitoring your coolant level in the reservoir or had to make any additions?

Last edited by Critter; 07-18-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
That is not oil burning off. It is coolant.

It dissipates way to fast like steam does. Oil smoke lingers more and drifts off like smoke.

G
Old 07-18-2014, 10:27 PM

Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
Originally Posted by Gadget
That is not oil burning off. It is coolant.

It dissipates way to fast like steam does. Oil smoke lingers more and drifts off like smoke.

G
I'm with Gadget, that is coolant. What does it smell like ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 507 Edition Smoking | NEED HELP!