C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Continental ContiSportContact 5P vs ExtremeContact DW - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 02:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C63 PP
Continental ContiSportContact 5P vs ExtremeContact DW - Opinions?

I need to buy 2 new rear tyres and my fronts don't need changing so I want to match the same brand. In your experience which are better/quieter/longer lasting - ContiSport Contact 5P or ExtremeContact DW? I'm on OEM multi-spokes and buying 265 30 19's.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
Hey, Im running the DW on my CLK55 and love them. have only had them for 2 months but they have been great so far.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY12 C63 P/P
Subbed - I'm in the same boat with my car...
Need new rears and have ContiSportContact 5P's on the front already.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Mr Jones
I need to buy 2 new rear tyres and my fronts don't need changing so I want to match the same brand. In your experience which are better/quieter/longer lasting - ContiSport Contact 5P or ExtremeContact DW? I'm on OEM multi-spokes and buying 265 30 19's.
See my review here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ontact-dw.html

In sum, I much prefer the ExtremeContact DW over the 5P.

The DW tires have a much better ride and are substantially quieter. I also had wheel hop issues with the 5P tires. No issues whatsoever with the DW.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
i got the 5ps on the rear last week because it was the best the place had in stock at the time. havent had much of a true test but so far I can say I wish they gripped a little better than they do considering the price.

correction i got Continental ControlContact Sport AS - they said these are a new version, if you can believe a tiresalesman

Last edited by rentzington; 11-14-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
What about the Continental ContiProContact*tires for the c63 ?
Old 11-14-2014, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by rentzington
i got the 5ps on the rear last week because it was the best the place had in stock at the time. havent had much of a true test but so far I can say I wish they gripped a little better than they do considering the price.

correction i got Continental ControlContact Sport AS - they said these are a new version, if you can believe a tiresalesman
Your tire salesman was incorrect. The 5Ps are a true max performance summer tire whereas the tires you received are all-season tires.

I personally wouldn't mix and match summer tires and all-season tires. You could be entitled to a refund based on your salesman's mistake.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by zibby43
Your tire salesman was incorrect. The 5Ps are a true max performance summer tire whereas the tires you received are all-season tires.

I personally wouldn't mix and match summer tires and all-season tires. You could be entitled to a refund based on your salesman's mistake.

guy was pretty much an idiot, but i had 1 tire that wouldn't hold air and couldn't be fixed so i was at the mercy of what was in stock. was that or nitto....i knew the guy didnt have a clue when i asked about PSS and he gave me some line about some other Michelin they could order being a better replacement for it.....odd too because this DT shop usually has very swift guys

The more i look at them the more i think they look too much like a family car tire instead of a performance tire....heck the guy also tried to talk me into run flats!
Old 11-15-2014, 12:04 AM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
I ran the ExtremeContact DW on my SLK55 AMG before I traded it in on my C63 507. I really liked the tires, would definitely buy them again
Old 11-15-2014, 08:42 AM

2009 C 63
Smile

i have a set of contact DW waiting to get my wheels refinished will b 2 to 3 weeks before fitting them will report my opion on them .
Old 06-30-2015, 08:38 PM

Jag F-Type V8
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had stock continentals on the front which were not badly worn and therefore just wanted to replace the rears. I picked up the conti extremecontact DW (no, not the DWS). After installation, alignment and balance, the car feels like its fish tailing badly at highway speeds. It feels downright unsafe. I have checked the lug nuts. The rear tire pressure is at 44 and the front is at 41. Could this all be caused by the mismatching tires? I just ordered a set of front extremecontact DW so that they match, but my god this is terrible. Anyone ever heard of such a thing happening? Could something have happened to my suspension when removing the old rear tires? The car is a 2012 so I doubt the suspension is to blame. Any input is appreciated.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 C63 Bone Stock; E36 M3 Supercharged 400WHP; X5 parts eater
Originally Posted by jmueller
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had stock continentals on the front which were not badly worn and therefore just wanted to replace the rears. I picked up the conti extremecontact DW (no, not the DWS). After installation, alignment and balance, the car feels like its fish tailing badly at highway speeds. It feels downright unsafe. I have checked the lug nuts. The rear tire pressure is at 44 and the front is at 41. Could this all be caused by the mismatching tires? I just ordered a set of front extremecontact DW so that they match, but my god this is terrible. Anyone ever heard of such a thing happening? Could something have happened to my suspension when removing the old rear tires? The car is a 2012 so I doubt the suspension is to blame. Any input is appreciated.
Fishtailing when going straight on the highway? Sounds like a toe issue. Maybe mismatched settings. They could have knocked the toe out of alignment in at least one of the wheels.

Last edited by Gerry_M; 06-30-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:41 PM

Jag F-Type V8
Yes. If I am going straight and then turn the wheel ever so slightly to the right or left, the rest end feels like it has a second of delay in reacting. The car surely is fish tailing and if I had to do a quick steering change I'm sure this would result in a snap oversteer or a harmonicly induced spin.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:29 AM

2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Sorry I didn't come back to this thread and update my opinion of the DW's.

I ended up getting rid of them for the exact reason you are describing. Here is what I posted on another thread about my tire experiences:

My car came with the Continental ContiSportContact 5 P. The traction wasn't anywhere close to the PSS and they ride really rough in comparison.

I also tried the Continental ExtremeContact DW for about two months and ended up switching to the PSS The sidewall on the DW was WAY to squishy. Even a gusty side wind would make the car wobble all over the road I will never go with any other tire than the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. You just can't beat it
Old 07-01-2015, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by JRHolt

I ended up getting rid of them for the exact reason you are describing. Here is what I posted on another thread about my tire experiences:
the PSS are great in dry weather, car never budges unless i want it too...great traction, that is until the tire meets water then theres some slippage
Old 07-01-2015, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
^^^ I just ordered a set of Conti DW for my Dad's Porsche 944. Haven't even had them installed now I'm worried. PSS weren't available in the 16" sizes although they did have PilotSport AS3 - which I almost got .
Old 07-01-2015, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by rediesel
^^^ I just ordered a set of Conti DW for my Dad's Porsche 944. Haven't even had them installed now I'm worried. PSS weren't available in the 16" sizes although they did have PilotSport AS3 - which I almost got .
In my experience (4,000+ miles on the ExtremeContact DW tires with plenty of tread remaining), the sidewalls on the PSS/5Ps are a bit stiffer, which is certainly noticeable in very aggressive cornering.

I simply slightly increased the tire pressure on the DWs (still within MB's suggested specs) and they have been very solid. Sidewalls felt better after bumping up the psi. They ride smoothly and quietly and hook up great in the warm summer weather. Wet grip is amazing, too.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne

no, I mismatched on my c63 as well. contisp3 front and dw rear. no issues.

ya the side is alittle soft compare to pss. but for the $ I can settle. you can always pump alittle harder and also the DW are better in wet than pss.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:44 PM

Jag F-Type V8
Alright. Based on all of this, I'm convinced I have a suspension problem then. Sway bar, control arm bushing, something. Taking the car in tomorrow for emergency service. The car simply isn't safe to drive like this, and I refuse to take my family on a road trip in it this weekend. I'll report back as to what is found.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:11 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
In my experience (4,000+ miles on the ExtremeContact DW tires with plenty of tread remaining), the sidewalls on the PSS/5Ps are a bit stiffer, which is certainly noticeable in very aggressive cornering.

I simply slightly increased the tire pressure on the DWs (still within MB's suggested specs) and they have been very solid. Sidewalls felt better after bumping up the psi. They ride smoothly and quietly and hook up great in the warm summer weather. Wet grip is amazing, too.
Ditto same for me as well, I have DWs.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:22 AM

2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Originally Posted by rentzington
the PSS are great in dry weather, car never budges unless i want it too...great traction, that is until the tire meets water then theres some slippage
In my experience the PSS are awesome in the wet. Not quite as good as the DW's but really close.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:24 AM

2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV

The only problem with increasing the tire pressure is you will not get optimum tire wear and the contact patch will be smaller which kind of defeats the purpose.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:32 AM

2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Alright. Based on all of this, I'm convinced I have a suspension problem then. Sway bar, control arm bushing, something. Taking the car in tomorrow for emergency service. The car simply isn't safe to drive like this, and I refuse to take my family on a road trip in it this weekend. I'll report back as to what is found.
Nope, I will bet it is the mismatched tires. The stock continentals have a much stiffer sidewall than the DW's.

Like I said above, with DW's on all four corners, the car would sway back and forth with a gusty side wind, driving next to an 18 wheeler or making a fast lane change. It was outright dangerous!!! They were reminiscent of the Nitto Invo's I used to have on my 2006 Z06. It completely ruined the handling of the car.

I guess it also depends on how you want the car to handle. If you are okay with an unresponsive turn-in and wobbly sidewalls then the DW's will be just fine for you
Old 07-02-2015, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
In my experience the PSS are awesome in the wet. Not quite as good as the DW's but really close.
i swear if i as much as drive through a puddle they slip once i'm past it.
not a ton or anything thats really concerning but enough that i just avoid driving it in rain.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Nope, I will bet it is the mismatched tires. The stock continentals have a much stiffer sidewall than the DW's.

Like I said above, with DW's on all four corners, the car would sway back and forth with a gusty side wind, driving next to an 18 wheeler or making a fast lane change. It was outright dangerous!!! They were reminiscent of the Nitto Invo's I used to have on my 2006 Z06. It completely ruined the handling of the car.

I guess it also depends on how you want the car to handle. If you are okay with an unresponsive turn-in and wobbly sidewalls then the DW's will be just fine for you
im betting mismatched tires as well, i had bad experiences with different fronts and rears. I actually had to replace the cheapo rears my car had when i got it and i went with an allseason continental since it was all they had in stock that day and my tire had an unrepairable hole.....those matched with summer performance up front let to some terrible terrible wobbly handling.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Continental ContiSportContact 5P vs ExtremeContact DW - Opinions?