C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

AMG Academy - Pro - COTA or Laguna Seca?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
AMG Academy - Pro - COTA or Laguna Seca?

Any opinions of where would be best for the Pro Course?

My Basic was Lime Rock. Liked the elevation changes but fewer turns and short track.

Advanced was Palm Beach. Great long straight and good turns but no elevation change at all. Also an incredible Autocourse on the go cart track.

Laguna - a classic, the corkscrew, but no big straights.

COTA - no elevation but what a track! Full of challenges and straights.

Anyone with experience at both?
Old 12-29-2014, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
COTA all the way, not even a comparison. Laguna Seca is one of the most over rated tracks in the country. Not to mention they have strict noise ordenances that will require them to slow you down.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:50 AM

2009 c63
Originally Posted by jrcart
COTA all the way, not even a comparison. Laguna Seca is one of the most over rated tracks in the country. Not to mention they have strict noise ordenances that will require them to slow you down.
Thanks... And would you recommend to stay with AMG Academy or try something new all together?

I was afraid advanced would be just more of basic, but was pleasantly surprised... It was more challenging and a blast.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dogtag114
Thanks... And would you recommend to stay with AMG Academy or try something new all together?

I was afraid advanced would be just more of basic, but was pleasantly surprised... It was more challenging and a blast.
AMG Academy is a good value. I have done AMG Academy at Road America and Skip Barber Pro at Laguna Seca. I got a bit more seat/track time with Barber(smaller class) but the overall experience(catered meals, prizes, on-board videos, etc.) is better with AMG IMO.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2010 C63
CoTA has some elevation changes. The rise to T1 is something near 130 ft. Then downhill for T2. Also, more downhill from T9 to T11 with T10 being a high speed bend that is semi-blind. Great track. It is new and smooth as glass.

I have never been on LS so I can't offer anything there. Either way you'll have a great time.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:48 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
Anyone think they will have the new C63 there? Maybe even the GT?
Old 12-30-2014, 08:58 AM

2009 c63
Originally Posted by Shellbmb
Anyone think they will have the new C63 there? Maybe even the GT?

I had asked that on a Facebook page and "someone" replied yes, but I think they were speaking of Europe and I'm not sure how credible it was.

Does anyone know how long it took for the SLS to be in the training line up?
Old 12-30-2014, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had asked that on a Facebook page and "someone" replied yes, but I think they were speaking of Europe and I'm not sure how credible it was.

SLS's have been in line up for over a year. We used SLS's at Road America in April of 2013 at Advanced and Pro events
Old 12-30-2014, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you a member on the AMG Private Lounge? They can answer all of these questions in much better detail than most on this forum can. The people that run theses ADA events participate, comment and answer questions on that forum. They have an entire section dedicated to ADA events. All you need to register is your VIN number.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Holy crap - just discovered this and found out basic is free if you've purchased an AMG in the last 12 months! I'm in. I am on AMG Private Lounge but haven't perused the forums there much (will do so, however). For Basic - I'm in NY so close to Lime Rock and I figured it would be OK for that course - but any reason to avoid it and go for COTA?

Thanks

EDIT: another factor, lime rock only has dates as early as sept 2015, while cota has some in april and june... less waiting

Last edited by jcfay; 12-30-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jcfay
Holy crap - just discovered this and found out basic is free if you've purchased an AMG in the last 12 months! I'm in. I am on AMG Private Lounge but haven't perused the forums there much (will do so, however). For Basic - I'm in NY so close to Lime Rock and I figured it would be OK for that course - but any reason to avoid it and go for COTA?

Thanks

EDIT: another factor, lime rock only has dates as early as sept 2015, while cota has some in april and june... less waiting
....besides COTA being the best track in North America? LOL. Lime Rock is fun and has history, but it's an old school track. COTA is a modern track designed for F1 racing. I would actually do the Basic class at Lime Rock and then if you enjoy it do an Advanced or Pro at COTA. You are never really running wide open full circuit in the basic course so save COTA for the faster Advanced and Pro course.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
....besides COTA being the best track in North America? LOL. Lime Rock is fun and has history, but it's an old school track. COTA is a modern track designed for F1 racing. I would actually do the Basic class at Lime Rock and then if you enjoy it do an Advanced or Pro at COTA. You are never really running wide open full circuit in the basic course so save COTA for the faster Advanced and Pro course.

Is the basic course worth the time/cost? Don't mean to threadjack but i'm about a 2-3hr drive from COTA so i've been contemplating taking a course there.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
That was my thinking too. I'm a huge F1 fan so quite familiar with the awesomeness of COTA, and a bit aware of Lime Rock with it's history. Thanks for the input, sounds like a plan
Old 12-30-2014, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rentzington
Is the basic course worth the time/cost? Don't mean to threadjack but i'm about a 2-3hr drive from COTA so i've been contemplating taking a course there.
In my opinion it is worth the cost unless you already have a ton of racing or track experience. I already had a ton of racing and track experience so the basic was a little slow paced for me but I got it for free and did it with a couple friends and tied it in with the advanced class on the same weekend at Road America which is less than 3 hours from my home, a track I have literally run hundreds or even thousands of laps on on superbikes and in cars. If you do not have a lot of experience the ADA is probably the best course basic track course I have seen. If I were you I would invest in the 3 hour drive and take the course, it's not every day that you get to run on a modern F1 track and get to beat on somebody elses equipment.

In addition to the in car time AMG brings out every model of car they build, they put you in the passanger seat with a pro driver and take you out to show you what a real hot lap feels like, they have AMG execs and engineers on-hand to talk with and answer questions. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good race school.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
In my opinion it is worth the cost unless you already have a ton of racing or track experience. I already had a ton of racing and track experience so the basic was a little slow paced for me but I got it for free and did it with a couple friends and tied it in with the advanced class on the same weekend at Road America which is less than 3 hours from my home, a track I have literally run hundreds or even thousands of laps on on superbikes and in cars. If you do not have a lot of experience the ADA is probably the best course basic track course I have seen. If I were you I would invest in the 3 hour drive and take the course, it's not every day that you get to run on a modern F1 track and get to beat on somebody elses equipment.

In addition to the in car time AMG brings out every model of car they build, they put you in the passanger seat with a pro driver and take you out to show you what a real hot lap feels like, they have AMG execs and engineers on-hand to talk with and answer questions. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good race school.

excellent thanks for the info.
I have 0 track experience so i might just gift myself a basic course there this summer.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2010 C63
Remington, check out dfwautoclub.com

There you'll find threads about local events like some spirited country road driving or other local track events.

Two tracks somewhat local to the Dallas area are Eagles Canyon Raceway north of Decatur and motorsports ranch in Cresson.

I have found out about a number of track events at COTA by perusing dfwautoclub.com. However the organizers of these events allow drivers that have typically about 20 hours of in car instruction at other tracks.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rentzington
excellent thanks for the info.
I have 0 track experience so i might just gift myself a basic course there this summer.
It would definately be worth it to you then. You will leave the event literally being a ten times better driver than before you took the course. A day behind the wheel on a race track with professional instruction is worth a lifetime of street driving experience. Check out the Private Lounge, once in a while they offer discounts or special prices if you book the Basic and Advanced in the same weekend. the ADA is an acreditted legimate driving school that will allow you to participate in most open track days and allow you into to expert and pro level driving and racing schools in the future without having to start over with basic stuff again.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:22 PM

2009 c63
Seriously, it's worth it unless you need the money for the annual family vacation.

If you go, read my tips page:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...g-academy.html