C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Tips to Attending the AMG Academy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Tips to Attending the AMG Academy

I couldn't find this and thought it would help out those attending. Warning, there may be some spoilers.

Before
If you have many friends going, try to see if you can get in the same group of ~12 that stays together all day. They have preprinted IDs by group so you want to do this ahead.

Where to Stay
Of course this varies by track, but here is my learning.
Pick a quiet place and don't party up too much. The next day is very long. I had the misfortune of booking where a noisy wedding was, but luckily was in a removed and quiet room.

That Morning
Skip the crappy continental breakfast at the hotel. The food there is much better and you have more people to talk to.

The Program
Very little classroom. Don't Worry.

After some silly exercises, you pair up with your random partner for the whole day. This is your most important decision if you are not with friends, or an even number of friends. Try to exercise next to someone with whom you want to spend all day in a car (similar age, one of the few hot women, etc.). I followed fate and was paired with a man in his late 60's who had not the best reaction time, depth perception or mobility to get in and out of an SLS to hear instructions. This made it a little exciting as a passenger during braking runs and made me fearful of being the passenger on the big track. The gods looked fondly on me and he tired by lunch and quit, thus saving me from peril and doubling my SLS driving time in the afternoon.

If you're lucky, you'll get the rotation of braking, skid pad, etc. before the track to get you ready. If not, you'll be lucky to do the most fun stuff first (track, auto cross, etc.)

You'll see Dramamine everywhere. If you are motion sensitive, quietly take one. By lunchtime, as a diver or passenger, I did more than 50 full on braking stops as part of various stations.

Take the autocross seriously. There are big prizes and the winners win by tenths. You'll have many practice runs and two that "count". I had the best time of my group in the first of the two runs so I went all out on the second. I swear I would have beat the instructor's time that run if I didn't tail out on the final turn and stop momentarily. I still was edged out by three others off the podium.

I'm tired of typing and will allow others to add...
Old 10-05-2013, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 P31 C63, 2014 Bluetec ML, 2004 GT3
1. listen to what the instructors say. if this is your first driving school (or track experience), you know a lot less about car control than you think. (no offense)

2. drink plenty of water throughout the day.

3. you will be using the same car for the duration of each exercise. put your seat position in memory.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Dogtag114
I couldn't find this and thought it would help out those attending. Warning, there may be some spoilers.

Before
If you have many friends going, try to see if you can get in the same group of ~12 that stays together all day. They have preprinted IDs by group so you want to do this ahead.

Where to Stay
Pick a quiet place and don't party up too much. The next day is very long. I had the misfortune of booking where a noisy wedding was, but luckily was in a removed and quiet room.

That Morning
Skip the crappy continental breakfast at the hotel. The food there is much better and you have more people to talk to.

The Program

After some silly exercises, you pair up with your random partner for the whole day. This is your most important decision if you are not with friends, or an even number of friends. Try to exercise next to someone with whom you want to spend all day in a car (similar age, one of the few hot women, etc.). I followed fate and was paired with a man in his late 60's who had not the best reaction time, depth perception or mobility to get in and out of an SLS to hear instructions. This made it a little exciting as a passenger during braking runs and made me fearful of being the passenger on the big track. The gods looked fondly on me and he tired by lunch and quit, thus saving me from peril and doubling my SLS driving time in the afternoon.

If you're lucky, you'll get the rotation of braking, skid pad, etc. before the track to get you ready. If not, you'll be lucky to do the most fun stuff first (track, auto cross, etc.)

You'll see Dramamine everywhere. If you are motion sensitive, quietly take one. By lunchtime, as a diver or passenger, I did more than 50 full on braking stops as part of various stations.

Take the autocross seriously. There are big prizes and the winners win by tenths. You'll have many practice runs and two that "count". I had the best time of my group in the first of the two runs so I went all out on the second. I swear I would have beat the instructor's time that run if I didn't tail out on the final turn and stop momentarily. I still was edged out by three others off the podium.

Lucky that your partner quit!!!

This is a great write up.

1. Make sure to get there on time!

2. Always always listen to the instructors! Yes, we all know we can go faster than 120 in a straight line, I never got faster than that even though there was plenty of track left, the instructor WILL yell at you........don't ask me how i know.

3. It's an amazingly fun time, enjoy yourself!

4. Wear comfortable, controllable shoes and clothing.

5. Try to look out for someone that has motion sickness or might quit, it will double your track time. Otherwise, find someone that doesn't smell too bad and you should be fine.

6. Autocross was a blast! Came in 4th overall, just out of the prize pool....Good prizes. When i went 3rd was a detail kit, 2nd was an iPad and 1st was a customized helmet!

7. The one thing that always stuck in my mind out there was what the first told us..."Many of you here are AMG owners. I would like to remind you that THESE ARE NOT YOUR CARS. Go out there, smash the breaks, burn the tires, remember they aren't yours so beat them to hell."
Old 10-06-2013, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Thanks for all the tips. I need to book my trip soon
Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
make sure they spell your name correctly. I typed my email to them on an ipad which auto corrected my name and i have the wrong spelling on everything from my name card to my certificate. I also won the helmet, but I called them and made sure my name is correct.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
When you're on the track in the SLS, don't hold back. The car is more capable than you are. While the electronic handling assists cannot defy the laws of physics, they will save you almost every time. When you're not behind the instructor don't slack off. Keep driving as hard as you can without getting to close to the guy in front of you. Hit the brakes like you're heading towards a brick wall. When you go for hot laps with the instructors driving, you'll understand what I mean.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:07 AM

2009 c63
That's also good advice for the autocross. I think a scrubbed off speed on one turn instead of braking hard and accelerating out of the turn.

The hot laps were great for experiencing how to do it properly. The instructors brake at least a full second after your comfort zone.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Last tip. On the last day you get to do ride along hot laps with the instructors. After you put your seat belt on, pull real hard on the shoulder belt tensioner to get it to lock. The instructors really brake hard.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
Final tip, watch out for nut jobs from SanDiego.
Duane, I am doing the ADA Pro in Nov.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Karl,
Thanks so much for your vote confidence. Have fun a the Pro Event. For any attending that event, try and team up with Karl. He is the master of off track excursions.Regards. Duane
Old 10-19-2013, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
When doing the Pro event, the part about good shoes and getting lots of sleep are really key. Do not party, you do not want to have any haze in your brain in the morning.

Be interested to hear lap times if anyone doing laguna.

Oh yeah, if anyone can beat the pro I would like to hear about it. Tommy Kendall would consistently run 2 seconds faster than the students on a 40 second course. That is super human. The only time he ever failed to beat a student was a guy who was an accountant... And a national SCCA auto cross champion
Old 12-30-2014, 02:24 PM

2009 c63
Bump... for those of you eyeing the new 2015 schedule.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Multiple
$1795 for a track day? Yeah, I know it includes car rentals of some very nice cars, but that's a heck of a lot of $$ for a track day.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
If you bought a new AMG recently you have a complementary base day. Or you can still get a discount for being a private lounge member.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
$1795 for a track day? Yeah, I know it includes car rentals of some very nice cars, but that's a heck of a lot of $$ for a track day.
As AMG owners we get 20% off so it ends up being $1436.

After attending the Basic course, I think it's worth it. Here's why.

If I was to go out and track my own car, between a new set of tires and the track fee it's going to run me about $1,000 anyway. (not to mention gas, brakes, downtime from overheating.......)

For that extra $436 I get the following:
-Much more track time. The amount of behind the wheel time you get at this course is amazing.
-No insurance liability on any of the cars
-Ability to drive and push the full line of AMG vehicles.
-Instrucutors telling you how to get better
-Organized day that takes you from drag races, to track laps, to autocross, to braking maneauvers, and to a wet skid pad.
-Includes meals
-EXTREMELY well run and organized
-Absolutely no risk of damage to your car (can be anything from a crash, mechanical function, to those damn rock chips that fly up)

More than anything, that last point is what makes paying a little more for that track day worth it to me.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 coupe P31
Originally Posted by abcut973
If you bought a new AMG recently you have a complementary base day. Or you can still get a discount for being a private lounge member.
Can you elaborate? I bought mine 11 months ago, and from what I heard they had one allocation per year per dealer, so they were mostly sending those likely to upgrade :/
Old 12-30-2014, 09:11 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507
Originally Posted by Dogtag114

Before

Where to Stay

That Morning

The Program

Op, great write-up! SaphGreyC63, you as well! I went to Limerock Park in Sept and had a blast. It is extremely imperative to go with someone you know, or make a friend to pair with at breakfast!! Stay next to that person during the warmup jumping jacks! Trust us!!

Oh, and the helmet came home with me that day. Woo hoo!! Still hasn't showed up in the mail yet. Argh!!
Attached Thumbnails Tips to Attending the AMG Academy-image.jpg  
Old 12-30-2014, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by WESLEY KAY
Op, great write-up! SaphGreyC63, you as well! I went to Limerock Park in Sept and had a blast. It is extremely imperative to go with someone you know, or make a friend to pair with at breakfast!! Stay next to that person during the warmup jumping jacks! Trust us!!

Oh, and the helmet came home with me that day. Woo hoo!! Still hasn't showed up in the mail yet. Argh!!
Congrats on the helmet!

I came in fourth overall and I was so mad at myself. That lap I set the time in i braked way too early so I wouldn't overshoot the box youre suppossed to stop in. If I came in a little faster I would have beat the #1 time for sure as there was less than a 4/10ths seperating the top 5.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:03 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
Congrats on the helmet!

I came in fourth overall and I was so mad at myself. That lap I set the time in i braked way too early so I wouldn't overshoot the box youre suppossed to stop in. If I came in a little faster I would have beat the #1 time for sure as there was less than a 4/10ths seperating the top 5.
Lol...yeah we were all extremely close as well. Here is a pic of the chart I took. This was just for my team. The other teams were right on my heels. 4th is still great though! Well done...
Attached Thumbnails Tips to Attending the AMG Academy-image.jpg  
Old 12-30-2014, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Lol...yeah we were all extremely close as well. Here is a pic of the chart I took. This was just for my team. The other teams were right on my heels. 4th is still great though! Well done...
Very nice!

I see they gave you three laps, they only gave us two.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:07 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507
Very nice!

I see they gave you three laps, they only gave us two.
Yeah thankfully! That third one I cranked out the winning time. I guess we were a bit ahead of schedule
Old 12-30-2014, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by alexmtl
Can you elaborate? I bought mine 11 months ago, and from what I heard they had one allocation per year per dealer, so they were mostly sending those likely to upgrade :/
Well in the US if you buy a new 2014 AMG you are entitled to receive a basic day "voucher" and you have 12 months to redeem it. You can ask your dealership to book it for you as well. Then it all depends on the availability for the track day you selected.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:32 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507
Originally Posted by abcut973
Well in the US if you buy a new 2014 AMG you are entitled to receive a basic day "voucher" and you have 12 months to redeem it. You can ask your dealership to book it for you as well. Then it all depends on the availability for the track day you selected.
Yup...actually it isn't a dealer thing at all. It's a Mercedes Benz USA thing. The whole thing is one big marketing/promotion show. If you buy a new AMG, you have one year to book your event. Call AMG Academy USA directly to get faster service. They will need your name and VIN and will confirm with your dealer that you are you and you bought it new. Good luck!
Old 12-31-2014, 12:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Yup...actually it isn't a dealer thing at all. It's a Mercedes Benz USA thing. The whole thing is one big marketing/promotion show. If you buy a new AMG, you have one year to book your event. Call AMG Academy USA directly to get faster service. They will need your name and VIN and will confirm with your dealer that you are you and you bought it new. Good luck!
Yup, I just figured this out yesterday. Bought the new car in April of this year, and called this morning hoping they'll let me attend Sept 2015 at Lime Rock. The Driving Academy web site said that you have to have purchased the car and attend the track day within 12 months of purchase, but I'm hoping they'll cut me some slack on this. Not like they're advertising, of course. They said they'll call me back. Fingers crossed...
Old 12-31-2014, 07:55 AM

2009 c63
I came in fourth overall and I was so mad at myself...

I feel your pain. I was fourth in Basic and Advanced. I was third on Advanced Autocross (behind Ricky Fowler and his Dad who brought there own shoes and helmet and lived locally and likely been on the track a hundred times... excuses I know...). In Advanced, they avg your Autocross time and the first morning slalom time (not a straight line slalom).

I was hoping they'd DQ Ricky since he had some affiliation with MB and likely didn't pay, but no...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tips to Attending the AMG Academy