See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Winter Wheels or Tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 C63 P31, '06 Infiniti G35 Sedan (sold), '03 Nissan 350Z (R.I.P.), '15 Toyota Hylander
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by avery.whss
then why did 2 sets of PSS rubber crumble after <5,000? Never had an issue with the other 2 tire brands i've used

Go back to your 350z dumbass.

you guys drive C63s in conditions it's not designed for then try and call me a troll, LOL go get lives.

Whats next you morons going to take the c63 off roading or try and drive it accross a lake?
Your personal attack won't help your case.

Post reported.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by 350Zed
Your personal attack won't help your case.

Post reported.
you think i care what some moron thinks? you drive a bone stock C63 with stock sidemarkers, come talk to me when you can afford proper sidemarkers pal and not that ugly crap the americans made them put on

have fun getting t-boned by some old dumbass in a beater. I give you guys advice to not destory your cars or get killed and you call me a troll, Idk how people like you afford a C63, most likely finance or a lease. Typical

As for OP don't drive that gorgeous car during winter time, the rims alone are a b!tch to buy and if you crack one, good luck finding another OEM AMG single. go buy a cheap beater so if you do end up in a ditch you could care less

Last edited by avery.whss; 01-08-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by strangearmand
I've been lurking for a minute...
Kindly forgive the heretofore immature participation in your thread.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Old 01-08-2015, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
avery.whss - while I generally agree with your posts, you're dead wrong on this one. In these parts of the world, winter tires are a necessity. I don't give a damn whether you can get your car going on summers or all-seasons with a gentle right foot. I care about how quickly you're going to be able to stop when a kid unexpectedly jumps out in front of you.

To the OP, in response to the questions you asked:
(1) It is not only worth it to get winter tires, on the C63 it is NECESSARY if you live in Toronto (last winter was a lot of fun even with dedicated snows). Yes, go for a rim and tire package - swapping just the tires will do more damage to both the rims and tires than getting a set of dedicated winter rims. What isn't necessary is for you to pay $6K for a set from the dealer.
(2) Yes - in Canada it will definitely void your engine warranty.
(3) Yes - try www.restyleit.ca or www.graphiti.ca.

Last edited by Diabolis; 01-08-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
As for OP don't drive that gorgeous car during winter time
I must've missed the part where AMGs melt in the winter.

AMG even has a Driving Academy specifically dedicated to winter performance driving.

I've driven my '13 C63 through 2 of the worst winters my State has ever seen and on good winter tires, it has been absolutely rock solid. I have an AWD car as well (on all-season tires). The C63, on winter tires, performs just as well when it comes to turning, braking, and cruising. The AWD car has a slight edge in accelerating from a stop.

If you don't see an actual winter, or if you are uncomfortable driving in the winter, that's fine. But it's crazy for you to come on here and tell the OP, or anyone else for that matter, that it can't be done. Because quite frankly, not only can it be done, it can be done quite easily.

Winter Wheels or Tires?-driving_academy_winter_715x230_zps1eafdf9c.jpg

Winter Wheels or Tires?-amg_wispo_impressions_0134_zpsc9c6f9d8.jpg

Winter Wheels or Tires?-amg20125_zps82755274.jpg

Winter Wheels or Tires?-amg-driving-academy-winter-sporting-pro_zps06525ed1.jpg
Old 01-09-2015, 07:18 AM

'11 C63 P31, '06 Infiniti G35 Sedan (sold), '03 Nissan 350Z (R.I.P.), '15 Toyota Hylander
Originally Posted by Diabolis
avery.whss - while I generally agree with your posts, you're dead wrong on this one. In these parts of the world, winter tires are a necessity. I don't give a damn whether you can get your car going on summers or all-seasons with a gentle right foot. I care about how quickly you're going to be able to stop when a kid unexpectedly jumps out in front of you.

To the OP, in response to the questions you asked:
(1) It is not only worth it to get winter tires, on the C63 it is NECESSARY if you live in Toronto (last winter was a lot of fun even with dedicated snows). Yes, go for a rim and tire package - swapping just the tires will do more damage to both the rims and tires than getting a set of dedicated winter rims. What isn't necessary is for you to pay $6K for a set from the dealer.
(2) Yes - in Canada it will definitely void your engine warranty.
(3) Yes - try www.restyleit.ca or www.graphiti.ca.
In support of this, here's a C63 that was recently wrecked here in Toronto.

Note the summer tires.

Attached Thumbnails Winter Wheels or Tires?-image.jpg  
Old 01-09-2015, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
^^ Always sad to see. That AMG Driving Academy looks like a winter wonderland.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:45 AM

A rear wheel drive car fitted with proper snow tires, in the hands of a good driver is as good as anything else in the snow.

Putting a good set of winter tires on your car is the simplest and most cost effective way of making it better in the snow. A good set of all seasons will do the job, and a good set of winter tires is even better.

Don't try driving on that fancy set of low-profile, summer tires in the snow.

I apologize for calling avery's comments "ignorant". The correct descriptor, per Jalopnik, is "absurd".

Last edited by 350Zed; 01-09-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
Wow...craziness! I just read all this and had to laugh. Yesterday I swapped my PSS tires for General GMAX AS tires and I live in TX bro! That's because the PSS's rears are worn as usual...5K miles and now winter is upon us. These should be more than sufficient in TX, we'll see. First time I've tried this brand.
Regardless I would never drive in snow ice conditions on PSS's its simple dude it is a SUMMER tire. I can break them loose in the rain LOL!
Old 01-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Banned

S550 on order
http://jalopnik.com/ten-absurd-winter-driving-myths-that-need-to-die-1678498167

I apologize for calling avery's comments "ignorant". The correct descriptor, per Jalopnik, is "absurd".
Ok you guys can have fun trusting everyone ELSE to put winter tires on their cars, congratulations you have winter tires on your C63, now whos saying the other 50,000 people you're driving with have them too?

You realize how broke and poor majority of society is right? You think everyone who doesn't own a C63 can fork out an extra $1000 at christmas time on tires? LOL NO people barely can afford to eat at this time of year

Whatcha gonna do when little terrys coming at you doing 60 and can't stop? your magical winter tires going to magically shoot you forward a magical 50 feet to avoid the crash? Let me guess the answer is yes.

I'm not saying AMGs melt in the winter but why in the first place are you driving a SPORTS SEDAN with close to 500HP in 2+ feet of snow? it's just so impractical...snow tires only will do so much, I mean saying the AMG driving academy is no different then that M4 driver who claimed to have formula 1 training and well...how'd that turn out for him? he got fuking REKT'd ...do you guys want videos of you eating ***** also and being mocked by millions?

@JRSJR65 exactly they suck, they are way to hard..why do you need a rock hard tire in the dry? the tire never ever once heated up for me and always lost traction. It was almost 40C for a week straight and the PSS stayed hard as a rock and would still slide on the road..I mean you live in texas and they are hard still...thats depressing, my rear pirelli's have probably 20% tread on them and i can semi WOT it in wet and it'll hook up

Last edited by avery.whss; 01-09-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Ok you guys can have fun trusting everyone ELSE to put winter tires on their cars, congratulations you have winter tires on your C63, now whos saying the other 50,000 people your driving with have them too?

You realize how broke and poor majority of society is right? You think everyone who doesn't own a C63 can fork out an extra $1000 at christmas time on tires? LOL NO people barely can afford to eat at this time of year

Whatcha gonna do when little terrys coming at you doing 60 and can't stop? your magical winter tires going to magically shoot you forward a magical 50 feet to avoid the crash? Let me guess the answer is yes.

@JRSJR65 exactly they suck, they are way to hard..why do you need a rock hard tire in the dry? the tire never ever once heated up for me and always lost traction. It was almost 40C for a week straight and the PSS stayed hard as a rock and would still slide on the road, my rear pirelli's have probably 20% tread on them and i can semi WOT it in wet and it'll hook up
Oh - so according to your logic, it would be OK for "poor" people to drive with no headlights or for that matter brakes or dump their oil or coolant all over the place because they can't afford to fix their cars? Really?

As for little terrys (or little averys) coming at me doing 60, you are making my point EXACTLY. It's the little terrys and averys that need to get winter tires because they are the problem and the onces causing the accidents. I already have winter tires so I can stop in the shortest possible distance, You on the other hand need another 40 feet on your all-seasons or another 300 on your summers. Get a grip (pun intended).

P.S. Horsepower has nothing to do with stopping distance. It's about mass and the coefficient of friction. A 50 hp, 4000 lb car on a given set of tires is going to stop in exactly the same distance as a 500 hp, 4000 lb car on those same tires under those same circumstances. What does driving the C63 as aoopsed to another car have to do with any of this?

Last edited by Diabolis; 01-09-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Oh - so according to your logic, it would be OK for "poor" people to drive with no headlights or for that matter brakes or dump their oil or coolant all over the place because they can't afford to fix their cars? Really?

As for little terrys (or little averys) coming at me doing 60, you are making my point EXACTLY. It's the little terrys and averys that need to get winter tires because they are the problem and the onces causing the accidents. I already have winter tires so I can stop in the shortest possible distance, You on the other hand need another 40 feet on your all-seasons or another 300 on your summers. Get a grip (pun intended).
hell no it's not ok for them to drive but everyone acts like everyone has a billion $'s to go buy winter tires for their **** toyota and hondas

and i wont drive my c63 in 2+ feet of snow it's stupid, you mise well just take the car 4x4ing it's no different. You guys act like winter tires are tires from the creator of the universe that are going to save your life, You guys need to get a grip on reality and wake up from the dellusional world you all live in, get it through your head that the average citizen can't afford extra expenses which is why they cheap out on their cars, it's not about needing to stop 40 or 50 feet..What happens if they are slowly coming up behind you to a stop light and hit's a layer of ice? whatcha gonna do then? Stop when your already stopped? I mean c'mon you can have all the driving EXP in the world and it doesn't mean jack *****,

because the C63 slides out in the dry and are you really going to say all of you have "AMG Driving experience" because that doesn't mean anything, all it takes is 1 slip of the rear end and GG rekt c63..snow tires or not nature owns you at the end of the day

Do we really need to bring the M4 video into this? I mean come on, the guy was driving in the dry pretty much and slid out barly WOTing at all, and you're going to sit there and say a C63 can't do the same with a foot of snow under it's tires?

Last edited by avery.whss; 01-09-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by JRSJR65
Wow...craziness! I just read all this and had to laugh. Yesterday I swapped my PSS tires for General GMAX AS tires and I live in TX bro! That's because the PSS's rears are worn as usual...5K miles and now winter is upon us. These should be more than sufficient in TX, we'll see. First time I've tried this brand.
Regardless I would never drive in snow ice conditions on PSS's its simple dude it is a SUMMER tire. I can break them loose in the rain LOL!
i've been pretty happy with my PSS so far, i've had them in the wet and they did fine, same for cold....but no way i'd use them on snow or ice. But I also bought them knowing I wouldn't use them on snow or ice.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Ok you guys can have fun trusting everyone ELSE to put winter tires on their cars, congratulations you have winter tires on your C63, now whos saying the other 50,000 people you're driving with have them too?

I'm not saying AMGs melt in the winter but why in the first place are you driving a SPORTS SEDAN with close to 500HP in 2+ feet of snow? it's just so impractical...snow tires only will do so much, I mean saying the AMG driving academy is no different then that M4 driver who claimed to have formula 1 training and well...how'd that turn out for him? he got fuking REKT'd ...do you guys want videos of you eating ***** also and being mocked by millions?

@JRSJR65 exactly they suck, they are way to hard..why do you need a rock hard tire in the dry? the tire never ever once heated up for me and always lost traction. It was almost 40C for a week straight and the PSS stayed hard as a rock and would still slide on the road..I mean you live in texas and they are hard still...thats depressing, my rear pirelli's have probably 20% tread on them and i can semi WOT it in wet and it'll hook up
I use snow tires precisely BECAUSE OTHER PEOPLE DON'T! Are they a magical thing that lets me pull 2Gs in the snow? No. They let me stop when I need to, turn when I need to, and accelerate when I need to. I choose not to drive the C in the snow because it is my nice car. Others may see the C63 as a beater! It's not for you to decide. If they use it in the snow, their choice. Additionally, snow tires CAN save you from being rear ended. Last year I was sitting at a light with a slight uphill with about 4-6 inches of snow on the ground. I am watching everything going on at the intersection. There are relatively few cars but I notice a car coming up quicker than I'd like behind me. Sure enough it starts to slide. I look and clear the intersection and make a right turn to get out of the way as he slides through. It wasn't where I planned to go but I saved both out cars. Summer tires or all seasons and I probably would have had to call a tow truck. By your logic, people should never drive SUVs on the road, pickups should always be hauling things and no one should drive any car JUST BECAUSE IT'S A FUN CAR TO DRIVE! Additionally, the wheelspin thing is retarded. All cars can spin their tires in the snow. Snow tires just make thresholds higher and more progressive. Summer tires break away very quickly and unpredictably in cold conditions, even in the dry. You know nothing, John Snow...
Old 01-09-2015, 05:02 PM

^ this

Affirming a disjunct – concluded that one disjunct of a logical disjunction must be false because the other disjunct is true; A or B; A; therefore not B.
Nirvana fallacy (perfect solution fallacy) – when solutions to problems are rejected because they are not perfect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

i wont drive my c63 in 2+ feet of snow
You guys act like winter tires are tires from the creator of the universe
Straw man – an argument based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.
Argumentum ad hominem – the evasion of the actual topic by directing an attack at your opponent.

Keep it coming, avery. You're the best troll I've seen all week, and I'm really enjoying how your typing skills decline with the increase in your rage.

Last edited by 350Zed; 01-09-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Banned

S550 on order
^ this

Affirming a disjunct – concluded that one disjunct of a logical disjunction must be false because the other disjunct is true; A or B; A; therefore not B.
Nirvana fallacy (perfect solution fallacy) – when solutions to problems are rejected because they are not perfect.

Straw man – an argument based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.
Argumentum ad hominem – the evasion of the actual topic by directing an attack at your opponent.

Keep it coming, avery. You're the best troll I've seen all week, and I'm really enjoying how your typing skills decline with the increase in your rage.

Buddy you drive a bone stock C63, Get the *** out of here loser. How much does finance cost you on that bad boy?

Insulting my typing skills...What you clear last year kiddo? 500K? Come talk to me when you pay that in income tax.

I'm so glad I'm buying a higher class AMG this year, the other sub forums aren't filled with retarded morons who think they are right about everything when they drive a entry level AMG.

Have fun with those magical winter tires
theres a reason they sell AWD AMG's but i guess you can't afford it

Sending me wikipedia links...Get a life, try hard noob

Calls me a troll and can't even afford proper side markers. What a failure.

Anyways boys have fun with that AMG driving course and those tires, We all saw how that M4 driver ended up with formula one driving training or whatever he had

Last edited by avery.whss; 01-09-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
I use snow tires precisely BECAUSE OTHER PEOPLE DON'T! Are they a magical thing that lets me pull 2Gs in the snow? No. They let me stop when I need to, turn when I need to, and accelerate when I need to. I choose not to drive the C in the snow because it is my nice car. Others may see the C63 as a beater! It's not for you to decide. If they use it in the snow, their choice. Additionally, snow tires CAN save you from being rear ended. Last year I was sitting at a light with a slight uphill with about 4-6 inches of snow on the ground. I am watching everything going on at the intersection. There are relatively few cars but I notice a car coming up quicker than I'd like behind me. Sure enough it starts to slide. I look and clear the intersection and make a right turn to get out of the way as he slides through. It wasn't where I planned to go but I saved both out cars. Summer tires or all seasons and I probably would have had to call a tow truck. By your logic, people should never drive SUVs on the road, pickups should always be hauling things and no one should drive any car JUST BECAUSE IT'S A FUN CAR TO DRIVE! Additionally, the wheelspin thing is retarded. All cars can spin their tires in the snow. Snow tires just make thresholds higher and more progressive. Summer tires break away very quickly and unpredictably in cold conditions, even in the dry. You know nothing, John Snow...
My logic says, Buy a beater ***** box 4x4 for a few K and drive it in the WINTER time, then if someone you know needs a cheap car or something sell it to them...VOILA

Any car can spin, but do you wanna go into a ditch in your AMG or a beater you could give a rats *** about? Seems like you guys want to destory your cars vs preserve them

im done beating a bunch of dead sheep, some of you guys have such thick massive skulls and egos your judgement is fogged up. Drive a C63 in 6inches of snow with winter tires - Fine..but 2 feet+?? you're high on something

Atleast chrisridebike8 doesn't drive his car in the snow he has some sense..thank god

Last edited by avery.whss; 01-09-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:23 PM

Avery, you're clearly superior to everyone in this thread, this board, and maybe even this planet.

Congrats!

Last edited by 350Zed; 01-09-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:54 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Avery, you're clearly superior to everyone in this thread, this board, and maybe even this planet.

Congrats!

yeah just like how you are with your wikipedia links and spelling

typical dumb *** human, dishes out heat but can't take any back.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Buddy you drive a bone stock C63, Get the *** out of here loser. How much does finance cost you on that bad boy?

Insulting my typing skills...What you clear last year kiddo? 500K? Come talk to me when you pay that in income tax.

I'm so glad I'm buying a higher class AMG this year, the other sub forums aren't filled with retarded morons who think they are right about everything when they drive a entry level AMG.

Have fun with those magical winter tires
theres a reason they sell AWD AMG's but i guess you can't afford it

Sending me wikipedia links...Get a life, try hard noob

Calls me a troll and can't even afford proper side markers. What a failure.

Anyways boys have fun with that AMG driving course and those tires, We all saw how that M4 driver ended up with formula one driving training or whatever he had
WTF? Are you on your period or something?

You think because you molested your C63 and supposedly earn a quarter of what I do annually it somehow makes you special and gives you the right to resort to insults when you can't win an arguement because you're wrong? Get a life. Even better, go drive your expensive 4WD car on your all-seasons as fast as you can on some twisty snow-covered road with a deep cliff on both sides. Please.

Last edited by Diabolis; 01-09-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Range Rover Sport, 2012 C63 Coupe P31
WTF? Are you on your period or something?

You think because you molested your C63 and supposedly earn a quarter of what I do annually it somehow makes you special and gives you the right to resort to insults when you can't win an arguement because you're wrong? Get a life. Even better, go drive your expensive 4WD car on your all-seasons as fast as you can on some twisty snow-covered road with a deep cliff on both sides. Please.

I try to agree with Diabolis as little as possible but I can't help but agree with this.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 911, 2012 C63
I like this car far too much to not drive it all the time. I've long since been a dedicated summer and dedicated winter tire proponent. Even with a careful right foot with plenty of RWD car experience, snows (on square 18x8's) are a no brainer in New England (especially with the 100 inches of snow we'e had so far). I might be a bit warped, but I also love seeing a car like ours, totally filthy and out owning it in the winter.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:55 PM

2010 C63
It's totally fine in winter driving, i have a square 225-40-18 setup on the Pirelli Sottozero and its excellent, except the occasional sliding in extreme Montreal snow storms.

Question: An epic pothole destroyed my front driver side tire and I put my summer Michelin PSS on until I could find a replacement winter tire. I bought 2 larger rear winter tires and am wondering if I should just keep my PSS on for another 2 weeks until I'm able to switch to a full summer setup (law says winter tires until march 15), or will I really wear my PSS in that amount of time?
Old 02-28-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 coupe P31
I wouldn't worry about wear on your tire when it's that cold, the rubber is hard as ice. However I would worry about safety, especially that they forecast snow for this week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winter Wheels or Tires?