Winter Wheels or Tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 507 2014
Winter Wheels or Tires?

Hey all,

I've been lurking for a minute. Lots of great stuff on here. I'm a new c63 owner from Toronto and have a couple quick questions.

1)Is it worth it to get winter tires? Is it worth it to get new wheels and tires for winter or should i just swap tires? They want 5k for wheels and tires () at the dealership, they said you can only swap tires so many times before damaging the wheel so its better to get wheels and tires. Also my car and rim protection only protects tires/wheels from dealership.
Or should I buy somewhere else where I know I can get cheaper options? Or just get tires?

2)If i do secondary cat delete/straight pipe res/eurocharge tune do these things void my warranty?

3)I want to do a matte green wrap does anyone know any good spots in Toronto area for that?

Thanks!

AZ
Attached Thumbnails Winter Wheels or Tires?-10468513_10201789892223193_4650308692035066462_n.jpg  
Old 01-07-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 coupe P31
Get Winter tires. If you ever get caught on snow with summer tires you'll litterally get stuck within 100 meters. Aren't those things mandatory in Ontario ?
As for the wheels I got them from the dealer for free when ordering mine (part of the AMG offer to boost sales in the winter). That said you can get brand new winter wheels and tires on tirerack or online for less than 3k. I was selling my OEMs for 2.5 lately (didn't manage to sell them in time for the winter), PM me if you're interested
Old 01-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
I have a set for sale. They are perfect for what you need.

Check it out:

https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...s80-tires.html
Old 01-07-2015, 01:54 PM

C63 AMG 507 Sedan
I have an additional set of winter rims (benz AMG) and tires (Pirelli Sottozero).

Anyone has experience on nokian hakkapeliitta 8 winter tires? Plan to take off the Pirelli and put on the hakkapeliitta 8. The Pirelli can't really handle heavy snow in Calgary.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Winter tires are a must as soon as the temperatures consistently drop below 45 degrees F. You will get much, much better grip with winter tires at that point (because they feature a much softer compound).

Max performance summer tires turn into hockey pucks below 45 degrees Fahrenheit (and that's a generous threshold; I make the switch after the temperatures have consistently fallen into the low 50-degree range).

Furthermore, max performance summer tires are useless once there is snow/ice accumulation. The winter tires have a tread pattern (consisting of sipes) that enables them to deal with snow.

Also, I would advise you to go as narrow as possible with your winter tires. The narrower the better when it comes to snow traction. I would also recommend a square setup (same size tire on each corner).

If you take the car to a reputable shop, there will be no problems with just switching out the tires. However, it's more expensive to have a mount and balance done at every switch. In the long run, it is best to have dedicated sets of winter and summer tires/wheels.

Good luck.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
I would get wheels and tires. My 2 other cars each have a set of winter wheels and tires. The extra cost of swapping to winters and then back to summers is about $200 USD per year. The winter tires should last you a good 2-3 seasons and then you don't have buy wheels again once the tires are shot. Additionally, you don't want the abuse of poor roads, sand and salt on your nice wheels. And if you are on 19s, this gives you an opportunity to use 18s for winter which equates to a cheaper tire, better winter handling, and less likelihood a pothole will take out a wheel in the winter. And I personally enjoy working on cars and changing a set wheels on a car takes me a half hour. While the wheels are off, I can clean the brakes and throw a coat of sealant on, and then I have all winter to get my summer wheels cleaned up and looking pretty for the next year. And if you do mess up a winter wheel on a pothole, you have a spare set of wheels and tires you can source from sitting in your garage!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bentley Cont GT, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG, S63,Ferrari 599, Ferrari 458
Originally Posted by Tal@ACGAutomotive
I have a set for sale. They are perfect for what you need.

Check it out:

https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...s80-tires.html
How well do they clear though? I have 3Ds mounted on 18" OEM AMGs and have an issue with them rubbing when going over a larger dip
Old 01-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
Originally Posted by Townshend
How well do they clear though? I have 3Ds mounted on 18" OEM AMGs and have an issue with them rubbing when going over a larger dip
I'm pretty low and there is no clearance issues at all. Loved them on my road trip back home.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 coupe P31
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
I would get wheels and tires. My 2 other cars each have a set of winter wheels and tires. The extra cost of swapping to winters and then back to summers is about $200 USD per year. The winter tires should last you a good 2-3 seasons and then you don't have buy wheels again once the tires are shot. Additionally, you don't want the abuse of poor roads, sand and salt on your nice wheels. And if you are on 19s, this gives you an opportunity to use 18s for winter which equates to a cheaper tire, better winter handling, and less likelihood a pothole will take out a wheel in the winter. And I personally enjoy working on cars and changing a set wheels on a car takes me a half hour. While the wheels are off, I can clean the brakes and throw a coat of sealant on, and then I have all winter to get my summer wheels cleaned up and looking pretty for the next year. And if you do mess up a winter wheel on a pothole, you have a spare set of wheels and tires you can source from sitting in your garage!

+1!
Old 01-08-2015, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by alexmtl
Get Winter tires. If you ever get caught on snow with summer tires you'll litterally get stuck within 100 meters. Aren't those things mandatory in Ontario ?
As for the wheels I got them from the dealer for free when ordering mine (part of the AMG offer to boost sales in the winter). That said you can get brand new winter wheels and tires on tirerack or online for less than 3k. I was selling my OEMs for 2.5 lately (didn't manage to sell them in time for the winter), PM me if you're interested
no you won't, I drive on extremely low profile tires all year round, even in the snow and it's fine, this year i didn't even change my tires and their bald and no issues maybe don't WOT the car everywhere, i barely touch my gas pedal and my cars shooting forward, infact i can guarantee i have one of the lowest profile tires on the forum and i have like 0 traction issues, idk why everyone with 6 inches of sideway looses traction in a stock C63 ..learn the gas pedal you don't have to push very hard
Old 01-08-2015, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
learn the gas pedal? that's advice for driving on bald summer tires in the snow? and for turning and stopping? is that learn the gas pedal too? have you ever seen a snow covered road?

you know snow tires have very specific rubber compounds for colder temps right? just like summer tires? or is that all crap because no one else has learned the gas pedal.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by JeffDL
learn the gas pedal? that's advice for driving on bald summer tires in the snow? and for turning and stopping? is that learn the gas pedal too? have you ever seen a snow covered road?

you know snow tires have very specific rubber compounds for colder temps right? just like summer tires? or is that all crap because no one else has learned the gas pedal.
you guys need to go look in any normal parking lot @ the average persons tires...and why would i go spend another $2,000+ on tires i'm going to use for maybe 2 weeks? i mean yeah if you live up north in alberta you shouldn't even drive a C63 in winter because it's kinda wild to be driving through 1 foot+ of snow in a sports sedan don't you think?

and yep use to live in ontario for over a decade, the whole reason you slid on snow is because the tire compacts it with the preasure from braking then it creates a nice slipperly enviroment for you, all you gotta do is let some PSI out so the tire's not as hard and has some bounce to it and everything is fine atleast for me, but where i live gets like <2 feet of snow
Old 01-08-2015, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
2 weeks? it's really about temperature anything less than 40 degrees and a summer tires is useless (this is even stamped on the tire). letting air out of a summer tire that is rock hard because it's frozen will not make the rubber softer.

and the average car in a parking lot is FWD and has <100hp.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:01 PM

'11 C63 P31, '06 Infiniti G35 Sedan (sold), '03 Nissan 350Z (R.I.P.), '15 Toyota Hylander
Angry

Originally Posted by avery.whss
you guys need to go look in any normal parking lot @ the average persons tires...and why would i go spend another $2,000+ on tires i'm going to use for maybe 2 weeks? i mean yeah if you live up north in alberta you shouldn't even drive a C63 in winter because it's kinda wild to be driving through 1 foot+ of snow in a sports sedan don't you think?

and yep use to live in ontario for over a decade, the whole reason you slid on snow is because the tire compacts it with the preasure from braking then it creates a nice slipperly enviroment for you, all you gotta do is let some PSI out so the tire's not as hard and has some bounce to it and everything is fine atleast for me, but where i live gets like <2 feet of snow
This is such complete and utter BS.

The C63 is absolutely driveable in the winter, provided you swap in proper snow tires.

And running summer tires with lower PSI in the snow is arguably the most idiotic advice I've ever read on a car forum. Summer tires turn into hockey pucks below about 7C, and their tread doesn't hold any snow (which is what you need for grip on snow or ice).

30 seconds of Googling will educate you.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by 350Zed
This is such complete and utter BS.

The C63 is absolutely driveable in the winter, provided you swap in proper snow tires.

And running summer tires with lower PSI in the snow is arguably the most idiotic advice I've ever read on a car forum. Summer tires turn into hockey pucks below about 7C, and their tread doesn't hold any snow (which is what you need for grip on snow or ice).

30 seconds of Googling will educate you.

Maybe don't buy cheap summer tires? My Pirelli P-Zero Nero's have been fine for 2 winters, I had some PSS's before and they are **** that DO turn rock hard on a 30C day..I still have them, it's pathetic a tire that hard can even be sold, all I see is guys on this forum "oh where can i get the cheapest tire!!!!" dude you drive a damn AMG, if $600 a tire for proper summer tires dents your bank account go sell the car, but spending 2grand on winter tires when you can go buy a late 90s 4x4 and drive that for a month makes more sense, why drive a AMG in the middle of winter? it's retarded as hell..what you want to look cool? we drive freaking c-classes not S65's put that ***** away when the weather is un-drivable for mass produced cars. Theres 0 reason to be driving a AMG in -20 weather, you can't even go fast WITH proper tires

especially OP's car, I'd store that for a month to be honest, winter tires or not, mercedes won't buy back a car thats caked in 2inches of salt underneath

Last edited by avery.whss; 01-08-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Maybe don't buy cheap summer tires? My Pirelli P-Zero Nero's have been fine for 2 winters, I had some PSS's before and they are **** that DO turn rock hard on a 30C day..I still have them, it's pathetic a tire that hard can even be sold, all I see is guys on this forum "oh where can i get the cheapest tire!!!!" dude you drive a damn AMG, if $600 a tire for proper summer tires dents your bank account go sell the car, but spending 2grand on winter tires when you can go buy a late 90s 4x4 and drive that for a month makes more sense, why drive a AMG in the middle of winter? it's retarded as hell..what you want to look cool? we drive freaking c-classes not S65's put that ***** away when the weather is un-drivable for mass produced cars. Theres 0 reason to be driving a AMG in -20 weather, you can't even go fast WITH proper tires

especially OP's car, I'd store that for a month to be honest, winter tires or not, mercedes won't buy back a car thats caked in 2inches of salt underneath
If you are too cheap to buy dedicated winter and summer tires (assuming you live in an area with cold temps), then YOU should sell your car. Just youtube summer tires vs snow tires and you will see how retarded you are. My buddy with an S4 on Conti DWs couldn't move on level ground in 4 inches of snow. Meanwhile, my wife's challenger on Blizzaks didn't break a sweat going to the ski slopes in 9 inches of snow. And that $2k you might spend on snow tires lasts a few years, and then only tires need to be bought. "Proper tires"....haha. PSS garbage? Go buy an M4 and leave a cars and coffee...
Old 01-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Banned

S550 on order
If you are too cheap to buy dedicated winter and summer tires (assuming you live in an area with cold temps), then YOU should sell your car. Just youtube summer tires vs snow tires and you will see how retarded you are. My buddy with an S4 on Conti DWs couldn't move on level ground in 4 inches of snow. Meanwhile, my wife's challenger on Blizzaks didn't break a sweat going to the ski slopes in 9 inches of snow. And that $2k you might spend on snow tires lasts a few years, and then only tires need to be bought. "Proper tires"....haha. PSS garbage? Go buy an M4 and leave a cars and coffee...
the PSS is garbage, i have 4 of them sitting in black garbage bags out back, had my p-zero neros forever and never once had an issue, the PSS rubber crumbled in <5000KM

again, why drive a C63 in the middle of winter to begin with? You want to ruin your nice car? Idk about you but i hate having to go clean all the crap off every 2 days in winter, it's such a pain..if you enjoy that then have fun wasting 20 hours in 1 month cleaning your car, I live in a city that barely hits 0C in winter and i barely drive my car, the roads are covered in so much crap...rocks flying off guys trucks, infact i have 2 decent sized rock chips on my windsheild and 1 happen last night after i picked my car up, my hood is a mess and basically needs re-painted and i never drive close to big trucks ever

it's you guys who need thicker/beefier tires to get traction, not me, besides my rims are almost $2,000 a pop..why the hell would i want to drive through a bunch of salty snow with them? i like to keep my stuff nice

I can show you what salt did to my OEM rims if you'd like, they are ruined and need to be refinished.

Last edited by avery.whss; 01-08-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
the PSS is garbage, i have 4 of them sitting in black garbage bags out back, had my p-zero neros forever and never once had an issue, the PSS rubber crumbled in <5000KM

again, why drive a C63 in the middle of winter to begin with? You want to ruin your nice car? Idk about you but i hate having to go clean all the crap off every 2 days in winter, it's such a pain..if you enjoy that then have fun wasting 20 hours in 1 month cleaning your car, I live in a city that barely hits 0C in winter and i barely drive my car, the roads are covered in so much crap...rocks flying off guys trucks, infact i have 2 decent sized rock chips on my windsheild and 1 happen last night after i picked my car up, my hood is a mess and basically needs re-painted and i never drive close to big trucks ever

it's you guys who need thicker/beefier tires to get traction, not me, besides my rims are almost $2,000 a pop..why the hell would i want to drive through a bunch of salty snow with them? i like to keep my stuff nice

I can show you what salt did to my OEM rims if you'd like, they are ruined and need to be refinished.
I don't drive my C63 in the winter. It stays garaged. But saying you are safe on snow with bald tires is downright stupid. And to say PSS suck...well they do suck in the snow. THEY ARE A SUMMER TIRE! To run them in temps below 45F makes you a terrible driver. It doesn't make it a terrible tire. It's only the benchmark for all Max Performance Summer tires. Saying the PSS is garbage is like saying an Armani suit is terrible scuba gear. You're using it wrong... Go troll somewhere else.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:26 PM

'11 C63 P31, '06 Infiniti G35 Sedan (sold), '03 Nissan 350Z (R.I.P.), '15 Toyota Hylander
Thumbs down

Pirelli P-Zero Neros are all-seasons, not summers.

I like driving my C63 in the winter, and I drive on proper winter tires to do so safely.

Giving any advice to the contrary of winter driving with winter tires is irresponsible and ignorant.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Banned

S550 on order
I don't drive my C63 in the winter. It stays garaged. But saying you are safe on snow with bald tires is downright stupid. And to say PSS suck...well they do suck in the snow. THEY ARE A SUMMER TIRE! To run them in temps below 45F makes you a terrible driver. It doesn't make it a terrible tire. It's only the benchmark for all Max Performance Summer tires. Saying the PSS is garbage is like saying an Armani suit is terrible scuba gear. You're using it wrong... Go troll somewhere else.
the only troll here is you, they are rock hard on the hottest day of the year, read online..everyone will say the PSS is a hard compound,

if you guys all enjoy wiping salt off and putting swirls in your clear coat then go for it, but i have better things to do and like to keep things pretty clean. All I'm saying is, why drive a $60,000 car in winter? Yeah you might have proper tires, be a good driver..but whats to say little jane in her toyota hatch from the 80s doesn't t-bone you from not having proper tires herself?

im not trying to be a dick or anything but you guys want to talk about purpose? is a C63 really designed to be driving through 2+ feet of snow? Lol...No...thats what g63s are for and range rovers, you can have all the safety in the world but whos gonna stop little john and terry rippin down the road at 100km acting like jackasses flingin rocks at your window?

Last edited by avery.whss; 01-08-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
the only troll here is you, they are rock hard on the hottest day of the year, read online..everyone will say the PSS is a hard compound,

if you guys all enjoy wiping salt off and putting swirls in your clear coat then go for it, but i have better things to do and like to keep things pretty clean. All I'm saying is, why drive a $60,000 car in winter? Yeah you might have proper tires, be a good driver..but whats to say little jane in her toyota hatch from the 80s doesn't t-bone you from not having proper tires herself?

im not trying to be a dick or anything but you guys want to talk about purpose? is a C63 really designed to be driving through 2+ feet of snow? Lol...No...thats what g63s are for and range rovers, you can have all the safety in the world but whos gonna stop little john and terry rippin down the road at 100km acting like jackasses flingin rocks at your window?
Car & Driver on the PSS, 1st place: Monsters of Grip (Pzero did poorly)
http://m.caranddriver.com/comparison...-sport-page-10

UK's Evo magazine said the PSS transformed the Carrera GT from a widowmaker into a predictable handling supercar.

OEM tires for the Ferrari 458 Italia.

Most recommended street tire on these forums.

I never commented on whether someone should or should not drive their C63 in winter conditions. It's their car. Do as they see fit. YOU are the one giving misinformation about bald tires on snow and PSS being a terrible tire. The car is only as good as it's driver so, I guess on your car, they are terrible tires
Old 01-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Car & Driver on the PSS, 1st place: Monsters of Grip (Pzero did poorly)
http://m.caranddriver.com/comparison...-sport-page-10

UK's Evo magazine said the PSS transformed the Carrera GT from a widowmaker into a predictable handling supercar.

OEM tires for the Ferrari 458 Italia.

Most recommended street tire on these forums.

I never commented on whether someone should or should not drive their C63 in winter conditions. It's their car. Do as they see fit. YOU are the one giving misinformation about bald tires on snow and PSS being a terrible tire. The car is only as good as it's driver so, I guess on your car, they are terrible tires
https://i.imgur.com/QXs9okc.jpg

proof is in the pudding my man, was driving down the street a few months ago and outta no where a entire 1 side of the tire collapsed, it's a PSS..best part of the deal is theres no leak or hole the structure bars or w/e they are called just gave way, good thing i wasn't going 100km+ otherwise they'd have a lawsuit on their hands

all that white stuff on my OEM rims is salt too, i cleaned them everytime i came home when i used them last winter..still destoryed them, those are the other 3 PSS tires in garbage bags where they belong
Old 01-08-2015, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
^^^cool story, bro. Thats pretty nice gash on the wheel, although it would be hard to distinguish it from all the other scratches on there. No tire is perfect. Looks like you hit something. Proof is in the numbers and tests, not one person with one tire. Look at tirerack's reviews. You are the minority.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:59 PM

https://i.imgur.com/QXs9okc.jpg

proof is in the pudding my man, was driving down the street a few months ago and outta no where a entire 1 side of the tire collapsed, it's a PSS..best part of the deal is theres no leak or hole the structure bars or w/e they are called just gave way, good thing i wasn't going 100km+ otherwise they'd have a lawsuit on their hands

all that white stuff on my OEM rims is salt too, i cleaned them everytime i came home when i used them last winter..still destoryed them, those are the other 3 PSS tires in garbage bags where they belong
A sample size of one (i.e., your own) is not statistically-significant. Every tire brand/type has a failure percentage, and PSSs have one of the lowest.

Your misinformation is burying this thread.

Beat it, troll.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:00 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by 350Zed
A sample size of one (i.e., your own) is not statistically-significant. Every tire brand/type has a failure percentage, and PSSs have one of the lowest.

Your misinformation is burying this thread.

Beat it, troll.
then why did 2 sets of PSS rubber crumble after <5,000? Never had an issue with the other 2 tire brands i've used

Go back to your 350z dumbass.

you guys drive C63s in conditions it's not designed for then try and call me a troll, LOL go get lives.

Whats next you morons going to take the c63 off roading or try and drive it accross a lake?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winter Wheels or Tires?