C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Looking to get a tune.. Any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 04:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Looking to get a tune.. Any recommendations?

Hey guys, so forgive me since i dont know much about tunes in general but how exactly does it work? Does the tune just come with a handheld programmer and we just DIY ourselves or does a shop "tune" the car for us? And if so, how much is the installation cost usually? Also, Im kind of on a budget.. Are there any reliable tunes out there that you guys recommend or any vendors you recommend buying from for a great deal? How does a tune affect emissions if at all..?Also, my car doesnt have warranty so I shouldnt have to worry about services at the dealership right? Anything I should watch out for in terms of issues with CEL or any other lights or engine malfunctions? I DD my car so it needs to be reliable as much as possible. Any advice is much appreciated, thank you.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
C63
Go with someone who knows the platform, such as Eurocharged or OE Tuning to get the best performance from it. I've seen reputable tuners who work wonders on other cars (such as Audi) but when it comes to tuning the M156 true numbers are very conservative.

The C63 tune essentially allows the throttle to open 100% where before it has been limited by MB to reduce performance. A tune allows the C63 to realize its full potential within the limits of the stock headers which are the next hurdle; the exhaust needs to be able to flow more to go any further.

You can get a tune at a shop or DIY using a handheld tuner supplied by EuroCharged (it's a DIMSport My Genius). Either will give you the same tune but tuning at a shop allows you potential for before/after Dyno right there on the day.
The My Genius is more than just a device to load and remove the tune, it can datalog also should you need to work through anything with Eurocharged; I also believe that when buying this you are covered for any updates to the standard tune, free of charge however, I'm not sure that this covers headers or changes that you make; that'll need a custom tune I'd imagine.

Reliability is unaffected. As above, the tune only allows the engine to utilize the power it was designed to handle, well within its limits; you can supercharge on stock internals.

Get the handheld for ease of adding or removing the tune. Regardless of warranty I do this just to save argument if it ever came to it. Once you go for headers then there's not much point. The good news is that I don't believe anyone has had a massive argument with the dealer over mods...I can stand corrected though.

If cost is your limiting factor and any reputable M156 engine expert is out of budget, don't do it until you have the money as you'll be disappointed.

Last edited by Cozy; 03-18-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
Go with oe or weistec
Old 03-18-2015, 06:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
Leave it alone
Old 03-18-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C 63
Smile

Originally Posted by -Marlin-
Leave it alone

why ?.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned

Reliability is unaffected. As above, the tune only allows the engine to utilize the power it was designed to handle
Why wasn't it released with said potential under warranty?
Old 03-18-2015, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C63 P31 coupe
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Money and marketing. This allows MB to sell the same engine with higher performance.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Leave it alone
Lol I agree.. U DD the car, no warranty & wants reliability .. Well, tuning the engine is safe but playing with the ECU has its risk. Just be ready to pay to play like ppl say.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:59 AM

W204 C63 Bone Stock; E36 M3 Supercharged 400WHP; X5 parts eater
Leave it alone
Old 03-18-2015, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
why are people born with busted teeth? or deformities? Why do humans always try to fix what nature's done so pefectly?

Tune the car, I've never had a warranty, and i never really have issues, yeah yeah i blew up 2 fuel pumps but let's be realistic a damn volkswagon beattle will blow up a fuel pump atleast once during it's life,

you gotta pay to play but really the parts aren't THAT expensive with these cars, guys just seem to buy AMG's thinking the parts cost the same as chevy parts, I mean is $600 a fuel pump really unfair from a mercedes dealer? my 1992 toyota soarer was $1300 from toyota for ONE ...I paid like $1100 for 2 AMG fuel pumps..so who's really the scammer?

Besides if you blow a ECU, it cost's $2,000 to fix...big deal...$2k ..you're driving a AMG not a budget honda..

I have OE and EC V5, honestly EC 5 with straight pipes is so loud on downshift i took it off, OE pulls a bit faster for sure, not sure what jeremy's done with traction control but it's pretty nuts or maybe it's the upgraded diff who knows

Stock C63 is like that nice cute girl you meet...her looks are nice but her bed skills are just a tad above average.

Tuned C63 - that 11/10 dime piece you've always had your eyes on becomes loyal and is a freak in bed whenever your mind desires

Last edited by avery.whss; 03-18-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C63
I have had a Eurocharged on my car now for over 2 years. Very happy with everything from the customer service to the reliability. I'd recommend them to anyone asking.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by Roswell
Lol I agree.. U DD the car, no warranty & wants reliability .. Well, tuning the engine is safe but playing with the ECU has its risk. Just be ready to pay to play like ppl say.
Getting the C63 up to, say, the same level of power in an E or SL shouldn't impact reliability at all, and most tuners have taken steps to ensure that their software won't impact your ability to get the car serviced at the dealer under most circumstances. That said, "be ready to pay to play" is very good advice.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Mercedes didn't want the C63 to totally blow away the more expensive/profitable E63, CLS63, and SL63s. Same reason GM handicapped the Camaro/Firebird in the 90s.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by AMGPower88
Hey guys, so forgive me since i dont know much about tunes in general but how exactly does it work? Does the tune just come with a handheld programmer and we just DIY ourselves or does a shop "tune" the car for us? And if so, how much is the installation cost usually? Also, Im kind of on a budget.. Are there any reliable tunes out there that you guys recommend or any vendors you recommend buying from for a great deal? How does a tune affect emissions if at all..?Also, my car doesnt have warranty so I shouldnt have to worry about services at the dealership right? Anything I should watch out for in terms of issues with CEL or any other lights or engine malfunctions? I DD my car so it needs to be reliable as much as possible. Any advice is much appreciated, thank you.
Weren't you the one that bought this garaged 2008 with like 5000 miles in 2015 and were trying to sell your car like the past couple weeks?
Old 03-18-2015, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Gerry_M
Who cares about 50 more hp when your driving to get your dimsum...

If you are trying to set strip times, that's another deal.

You are on a budget? Why are you playing with a Merc any way? Are you worried about the gas mileage too?
Old 03-18-2015, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGPower88
Wrong person to be considering a tune or to be even driving/meddling with this car...
Old 03-18-2015, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Who cares about 50 more hp when your driving to get your dimsum...

If you are trying to set strip times, that's another deal.

You are on a budget? Why are you playing with a Merc any way? Are you worried about the gas mileage too?
I dont get this comment. I just agreed to the comment "Leave it alone".
If you dont want any possible headaches and issues then dont do it. Its got enough power and fun for a DD. Another 50 will rarely be utilized on the street.

The track..well diff story...
Old 03-18-2015, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Gerry_M
I dont get this comment. I just agreed to the comment "Leave it alone".
If you dont want any possible headaches and issues then dont do it. Its got enough power and fun for a DD. Another 50 will rarely be utilized on the street.

The track..well diff story...
I quoted you because I was agreeing with you...
Old 03-18-2015, 01:18 PM

I quoted you because I was agreeing with you...
Ahhh...my bad
Old 03-18-2015, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
+1 for the Eurocharged. If you are on a budget & looking for great gains, they are your best bet. I've heard nothing but good things about them and their V5 tune is amazing. Usually on sale, you can get the handheld and tune for around $699. Great customer service as well. Here is one of their recent sale threads that shows the gains/more info - https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...held-sale.html
Old 03-18-2015, 02:06 PM

C63 AMG
Wrong person to be considering a tune or to be even driving/meddling with this car...
Sigh, sadly, there's always that one guy that comes in and thinks he's the sh*t and above everyone else... An ignorant pri*k.. I feel sorry for you man, that your parents dropped you on your head when you were younger.. Am I worried about gas mileage? Lol, Im averaging 15 mpg and I dont give a sh*t about that. I get gas twice a week, I could care less.. I was merely asking for recommendations for a good tune and yes I am on a budget at the moment, whats wrong with that? and yes I am a little worried about reliability, whats wrong with that?? I want to be as much informed as possible and be prepared for the worst if it does come before I get a tune.

If I got confirmation from some of you guys that any reliable tune out there wont break down the ecu after a few thousand miles I would get one, I DD my car, whats wrong with considering the reliability of a specific tune, so dont come in here and tell me that I shouldnt be driving this car or I shouldnt be considering a tune, you got no right to even make a comment like that. Ive heard about some people with tunes going to the dealership and having trouble getting the car serviced, I was just curious if that happened on a regular basis when people get a tune..

Yes, I was considering selling my car because of the headbolt issue and my car not having warranty but now I changed my mind and am keeping it, Get the f**k outta here man.. And btw, If you need some tampons, Wal-mart's down the street..

Last edited by AMGPower88; 03-18-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:24 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
+1 for the Eurocharged. If you are on a budget & looking for great gains, they are your best bet. I've heard nothing but good things about them and their V5 tune is amazing. Usually on sale, you can get the handheld and tune for around $699. Great customer service as well. Here is one of their recent sale threads that shows the gains/more info - https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...held-sale.html
Insignia, thank you for the direct link for Eurocharged. I will look into this one as it seems most people have had good experience with them
Old 03-18-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
I had Eurocharged on my previous C63 and I have eurocharged on my current one as well. The guys at EU are great to deal with and they usually respond within no time. When I sold my 09 C63, I had promised myself that I wouldnt tune the new one since the power is plenty for daily driving. But after driving around for around 4 months, the car just didnt have the same feel and punch as the old one and thats when I knew I HAD to get a tune again.These are all just bad habits, once you start you cannot stop lol.
Your car is out of warranty as it is. So go for it!
Old 03-18-2015, 02:28 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sidv22
I had Eurocharged on my previous C63 and I have eurocharged on my current one as well. The guys at EU are great to deal with and they usually respond within no time. When I sold my 09 C63, I had promised myself that I wouldnt tune the new one since the power is plenty for daily driving. But after driving around for around 4 months, the car just didnt have the same feel and punch as the old one and thats when I knew I HAD to get a tune again.These are all just bad habits, once you start you cannot stop lol.
Your car is out of warranty as it is. So go for it!
Thanks for your input Sid, hows the new C63 btw? Did you do the H-pipe cat delete yet?
Old 03-18-2015, 02:37 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Cozy
Go with someone who knows the platform, such as Eurocharged or OE Tuning to get the best performance from it. I've seen reputable tuners who work wonders on other cars (such as Audi) but when it comes to tuning the M156 true numbers are very conservative.

The C63 tune essentially allows the throttle to open 100% where before it has been limited by MB to reduce performance. A tune allows the C63 to realize its full potential within the limits of the stock headers which are the next hurdle; the exhaust needs to be able to flow more to go any further.

You can get a tune at a shop or DIY using a handheld tuner supplied by EuroCharged (it's a DIMSport My Genius). Either will give you the same tune but tuning at a shop allows you potential for before/after Dyno right there on the day.
The My Genius is more than just a device to load and remove the tune, it can datalog also should you need to work through anything with Eurocharged; I also believe that when buying this you are covered for any updates to the standard tune, free of charge however, I'm not sure that this covers headers or changes that you make; that'll need a custom tune I'd imagine.

Reliability is unaffected. As above, the tune only allows the engine to utilize the power it was designed to handle, well within its limits; you can supercharge on stock internals.

Get the handheld for ease of adding or removing the tune. Regardless of warranty I do this just to save argument if it ever came to it. Once you go for headers then there's not much point. The good news is that I don't believe anyone has had a massive argument with the dealer over mods...I can stand corrected though.

If cost is your limiting factor and any reputable M156 engine expert is out of budget, don't do it until you have the money as you'll be disappointed.
Thank you for this sir. I will consider getting the handheld and possibly Eurocharged now that everyone has said great things about them!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to get a tune.. Any recommendations?