C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Another head bolt - coolant thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63: <sold> '07 E63
Another head bolt - coolant thread

The check coolant light came on Friday during my drive home. 2009 C63 with approximately 53k miles, all stock. Took it immediately to the dealer but it was at closing. The tech that looked briefly at my car said he could only top the coolant off so he did, saying it was half full.

I took it in this morning asking them to perform a compression test and analysis to determine if head bolts were bad. Advisor called me around lunch saying they did a compression test on the coolant system and found nothing wrong. I asked about the compression test on the engine and he said he did not have the results. He stated that they think it is the beginning of bad head bolts as they don't know where the coolant went and proceeded to quote $7k to replace head bolts, tappets, cams, etc. I said I think that's too much and we negotiated just paying the labor, down to $4k.

Is $4k too expensive to get all internals replaced? I've called a couple of independents but no return calls yet.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:29 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 911, 2012 C63
Originally Posted by peckcrossing
The check coolant light came on Friday during my drive home. 2009 C63 with approximately 53k miles, all stock. Took it immediately to the dealer but it was at closing. The tech that looked briefly at my car said he could only top the coolant off so he did, saying it was half full.

I took it in this morning asking them to perform a compression test and analysis to determine if head bolts were bad. Advisor called me around lunch saying they did a compression test on the coolant system and found nothing wrong. I asked about the compression test on the engine and he said he did not have the results. He stated that they think it is the beginning of bad head bolts as they don't know where the coolant went and proceeded to quote $7k to replace head bolts, tappets, cams, etc. I said I think that's too much and we negotiated just paying the labor, down to $4k.

Is $4k too expensive to get all internals replaced? I've called a couple of independents but no return calls yet.
Are you presently driving the car? Get a rental and let them test it over night.

Regarding that labor price, I was quoted 20-24 hours by the best local Indy shop ($105/hr) around here (Boston, MA). Will you be buying the parts? I did, and it's easy to hit $1k even with very good shopping around for all the gaskets, bolts, SLS buckets, etc.

In summary, I sure wouldn't drive that car. You've dodged a bullet so far, why risk hydrolocking it?

-Tom
Old 09-01-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
1993 Competition Yellow Mica Mazda RX-7 and 2009 C63

Are you the original owner? From what I recall seeing on related head bolt threads, $4k at a MB dealer is a good price for what they are going to do.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
You can buy the head bolts from weistec for like $900 idk why anyone would pay $4k for mercedes
Old 09-01-2015, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Hey avery how about some reading comprehension pal. $4k for LABOR ONLY dude. Jeez.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63: <sold> '07 E63
Let me clarify that the $4k includes all the replacement parts for the lifters, sls buckets, head bolts, new gaskets etc. Theoretically they are giving me "$3k" in parts. I have that in quotes because it doesn't cost the dealer $3k.

I'm the second owner. The car was CPO'd for a year with 13k miles on it when I bought it less than two years ago.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450

Heard about your story from the dealer. Just dropped my car off at st. Charles as well. Thought the story sounded familiar went on the forums and saw your from chicago figured had to be the same one. Sucks for sure but 4k to me for that job doesn't sound horrible considering it's from the dealer. I'm sure Indy shop could do it for little less but at least you can fall back on the dealer if there are any issues.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,576 Likes on 929 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by avery.whss
You can buy the head bolts from weistec for like $900 idk why anyone would pay $4k for mercedes
If nobody else will...

Old 09-01-2015, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Haha love it
Old 09-01-2015, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Would a coolant compression test pick up a head bolt leak? I'm guessing theoretically yes, but i've never read anyone doing it with positive results on any prior 63 failures.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
1993 Competition Yellow Mica Mazda RX-7 and 2009 C63
Let me clarify that the $4k includes all the replacement parts for the lifters, sls buckets, head bolts, new gaskets etc. Theoretically they are giving me "$3k" in parts. I have that in quotes because it doesn't cost the dealer $3k.

I'm the second owner. The car was CPO'd for a year with 13k miles on it when I bought it less than two years ago.
That is encouraging. I'm 2nd owner of my car as well (sold originally by Naperville, IL MB). Nice to see them extending that good will to you. I don't have any relationship with our local MB dealers in Maryland so I may not get the same treatment. Fingers crossed I don't need to find out!
Old 09-05-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clk320
4k for a big job like that I think is an awesome deal. I stopped in there a while ago to check out a techs turbocharged clk500 and after talking to a few of the techs at St Charles I have been bringing my car there ever since. I even had my sister bring in her 2007 e350 for the balance shaft problem and they also worked out a deal with her to get it fixed at less than what an Indy shop could do it for. I know they got Mercedes to cover a certain percentage of the repair but for not even being a regular customer there I was surprised they were able to do it. I'm not sure why this dealer seems to actually try to take care of people but hey, I guess there are some good dealers out there. Last month when I stopped in there for a car wash one of the guys was halfway through a stage 2 Weistec supercharger install on a e63! I didn't know dealers install that stuff. From what the service advisor was telling me, most of the people working there have some pretty cool cars. Ask to see the clk500 turbo, its pretty amazing everything that's done to that car, for how young that tech looks you would never guess he's that talented. Good luck on the repair, I'm sure you will be happy, and relieved once it's done.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
Originally Posted by benzkomp
4k for a big job like that I think is an awesome deal. I stopped in there a while ago to check out a techs turbocharged clk500 and after talking to a few of the techs at St Charles I have been bringing my car there ever since. I even had my sister bring in her 2007 e350 for the balance shaft problem and they also worked out a deal with her to get it fixed at less than what an Indy shop could do it for. I know they got Mercedes to cover a certain percentage of the repair but for not even being a regular customer there I was surprised they were able to do it. I'm not sure why this dealer seems to actually try to take care of people but hey, I guess there are some good dealers out there. Last month when I stopped in there for a car wash one of the guys was halfway through a stage 2 Weistec supercharger install on a e63! I didn't know dealers install that stuff. From what the service advisor was telling me, most of the people working there have some pretty cool cars. Ask to see the clk500 turbo, its pretty amazing everything that's done to that car, for how young that tech looks you would never guess he's that talented. Good luck on the repair, I'm sure you will be happy, and relieved once it's done.
Do you have a link or any pictures/videos of that turbocharged CLK?
Old 09-06-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clk320
Originally Posted by kb24forlife24
Do you have a link or any pictures/videos of that turbocharged CLK?
No, I didn't take any pictures of it. I did see his dyno video on YouTube. Search clk500 turbo on YouTube it should be on there.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:46 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 C63S
list of those impacted?

It might be worth it somehow for one of the mods to create a sticky where those who have had the headbolt issue occur, can post their Vin, year, mileage it occurred, if covered by MB or not, cost. We might all need this this at some point to help convince MB that they should be recalling for this. I for one have no idea if its like 20 cars or 200 cars that have had this issue. Don't you guys think we should start tracking that?