C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

New '09 Owner - First Post and Questions!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise
New '09 Owner - First Post and Questions!

Hi guys,

So, I joined the C63 club last month. Purchased a local car, 60k miles, pristine condition, Steel Grey w/ light grey interior, and the P30 package. Previous owner installed 2012+ mirrors, OE tune, CF rear diffuser, and the 507 shifter and boot. It's a clean, mid-mileage car that I think I'll enjoy for several years to come.

For what it's worth, the C63 is replacing my 2005 Lotus Elise. I've owned that car for ten years and it's my first, true love. After a ton of modifications (suspension, brakes, supercharger, race seats, etc.) I've taken it to a point that it's just no longer at home on the street. That being the case, the Lotus has become a track-only car and the C63 is the new daily driver.

Since I own the Lotus, I won't be doing much to the new car other than a few aesthetic 'tweaks'. I've perused the forums here and decided that my car won't be complete without a front CF splitter, a slight drop in ride-height, and a new set of 19" wheels. With all that said, here are my random 'new owner' questions:

If I drop the car with HR springs and purchase OEM 19" wheels, will I need to worry about any type of rubbing? Spacers?
Same question, but wheels only (no drop)? Any rubbing issues? Spacers?
I've read that I can install a rear camera and just activate it in the engineering menu. Is it really that simple? Will it work on the 5" screen (car has base audio/no nav).
How often do you recommend oil changes? Follow the service indicator? Every 5k?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I can search the forums and probably find everything I need (learned that over on LotusTalk).

Oh, the head bolt issue. I've read about it, understand the risk, and decided not to worry.

Couple pics of the two cars side by side. Completely different animals in every way (except one): They're both very, very fast!
Attached Thumbnails New '09 Owner - First Post and Questions!-garagef.jpg   New '09 Owner - First Post and Questions!-garageb.jpg  
Old 12-16-2015, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
nice bike, u ride?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C63, 2013 Mini Cooper S
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll love the C63. Very different to your lotus but equally fun!
For your second question, you should have no rubbing issues with 19" wheels (no drop).
I just follow the service indicator for oil changes.

For your questions about the rubbing with drop and back camera, I'll let the more experienced members answer that since I have no experience with those topics.

Welcome again and good luck!
Old 12-16-2015, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Any rubbing will obviously depend on how low you go, and what your offset it on whichever wheels you go with. Obviously tire size comes into play as well.

If it were me, I'd go with HRE's new flow formed series. I'm a huge fan and quite frankly if I didn't have my Y spoke wheels, I'd be all over them.

I'm lowered on stock wheels with the HR springs and 5mm rear pads and no rubbing. That could change if I get spacers, however.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Welcome to the forums James Allen and congrats on the ride. Love both the colors on your Lotus and C63. I also see the GoPro mount on the front , always a good option.

Like AMG3.2 said, it all depends on the brand/size. Without a drop you are open to a bit more room but those that do have a drop don't really seem to run into too many problems. Even without a drop, the C63 runs a aggressive fit for rims, there just is not much space to work with, but good thing there are tons of brands out there.

This should help some with the camera install if you haven't already seen this thread -
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...08-09-c63.html

Oil changes I just go by the recommended service or if I have an upcoming service/reason/questions at dealer I will get it changed, it never hurts. Also depends on how much you drive/thrash the car.

Keep us updated on the progress of the upgrades and enjoy .