Ok so I already know that backup cam write-ups have already been done, but I haven't seen any that I know of for the 2008 & 2009 C63's that doesn't include backup cams so I decided to document my progress to share for others.
I've done it before on my GLK350 so everything was relatively easy and straightforward. And the method I used is SUPER easy with NO cutting or running wires around!
So let's jump right into it:
1. You will need a rear backup cam (make sure it's CMOS) I used a cheap chinese e-bay cam but any will do. Just make sure the clips are able to fit on the W204
2. Next, you will need and Fakra to RCA right angle adapter (VERY IMPORTANT). You will see why later on in the tutorial. Other write-ups would have you using a fakra connector and a rca cable, and cutting the ends on both, splicing them together to make this cable. You don't need to do that! You can just get the cable the way it is.
3. You will need a 2.4G Wireless RCA Video Transmitter & Receiver for Car Rearview Camera Monitor. This particular transmitter will eliminate the need to rip up your carpets and go through the hassle of running the wires from the trunk all the way to your headunit. (you'll thank me later!)
From here, you can start either from the truck or from the headunit, it doesn't matter. I started from the trunk.
FROM THE TRUNK
1a. Remove these torx screws located here:
1b. Then remove all the plastic pop-up plug thingys from around the trunk liner. They look like these:
1c. Once those are off, you can disconnect the trunk release wire and set the trunk liner aside
1d. Theres two more torx screws you have to remove thats underneath. Space is tight so it'll be a little tricky. Sorry, I couldn't get a clear shot!
The end result:
2. The cam will be installed where the right license plate light is. Pop that light off but DO NOT cut or remove it. If you do you'll get an error message on your dash screen. I tuck my light behind the trunk liner as I was putting back on
3. Install the cam in that spot and it will snap in place. The cam I bought had a small tab that would clear the opening so I had to cut a small slit so the tab can fit
The cam installed
...and a view from the back
4a. To install the transmitter, use dome double-sided mounting tape and mount the transmitter onto the metal portion of your trunk. Try to make it close to the right trunk arm
4b. Run the wiring alongside the trunk arm. Make sure you have plenty of slack for the trunk movement
Now onto the wiring. I'll be using the fuse panel in the trunk.
5a. Locate the cigarette lighter fuse (#70 I believe, blue 15A fuse. Strip the open ends of the transmitter to expose the wires. Remove the fuse and wrap the red wire around the fuse, then put the fuse back in.
5b. Attach the black wire to the ground as shown:
Crimp this to the end of the black wire:
...and install here:
And you're done! The reason why I chose the cig lighter fuse is because that fuse only receives power when the car is started. That way it won't be on continuously when the car is parked. To test if it work, just out the key in ACC mode and look for the red light on the transmitter.
So now, just go in reverse to put everything back together!