Real Manufacturer Track Day Warranty!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Real Manufacturer Track Day Warranty!!

I give Chevrolet a lot of props and credit for their willingless to stand behind their products. Chevrolet is going to honor their warranty even if you break the vehicle at the track.

http://jalopnik.com/scared-to-take-y...cha-1768765826
Old 04-04-2016, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
I certainly applaud GMs policy and wilingness to publicly state this. IMHO it shoud be the norm with any high-performance automobile.

That's not to say that Mercedes would deny a waranty claim because you took your C63 to the track for a HPDE day or two... after they replace the tires and brakes, all of the AMG DA vehicles that have been beaten for the first 5,000 km of their life are sold as CPO cars with the full MB warranty. It's the aftermarket tunes and mods that usually end up voiding the warranty.

Then again, when Porsche first came out with the CCB brakes and the rotors started chunking and falling apart on people at the track, Porsche did exactly that - they hid behind a "track use is not covered" line and demanded $30K+ for the rotor replacement. Now, that didn't go over very well with the braind faithful - why on earth would anyone spend $20K+ on an option that was designed and marketed for track use, yet when they took their cars to the track and those same track bits failed, Porsche just shrugged thier shoulders - but eventually the whole thing got swept under the rug (IIRC Porsche gave out steel rotors free of charge or somethign along those lines until they redeisgned the CCBs). Unlike GM, it was not the company's policy to publicly state that occasional track use is covered though.

Last edited by Diabolis; 04-04-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
It's rare for a manufacturer to have that much confidence in their performance product to explictly declare the warranty. IMHO, it is an extremely smart move on GMs part, because the positive goodwill that they will receive far outweighs the cost of repair/replacement. A national advertising marketing campaign will cost more, but will have less effect.

I hope that other manufacturers take note of this and follow GMs lead.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
AND it will help to improve their future cars by seeing what fails under extreme conditions. Now people won't hesitate to take their car in for warranty work, whereas before many people would just avoid the dealer altogether. Strategery.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Very smart move on GMs part.

Not to mention, for them especially, what percentage of camaro owners actually track their car? 1%-3% MAYBE? and they would have to have a failure.

At the very least other manufacturers should follow up, if it's at least for their "performance" divisions (ie, M, AMG, V, F, R, RS......manufacturers sure love their letters don't they?)
Old 04-04-2016, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by Diabolis
I certainly applaud GMs policy and wilingness to publicly state this. IMHO it shoud be the norm with any high-performance automobile.

That's not to say that Mercedes would deny a waranty claim because you took your C63 to the track for a HPDE day or two... after they replace the tires and brakes, all of the AMG DA vehicles that have been beaten for the first 5,000 km of their life are sold as CPO cars with the full MB warranty. It's the aftermarket tunes and mods that usually end up voiding the warranty.

Then again, when Porsche first came out with the CCB brakes and the rotors started chunking and falling apart on people at the track, Porsche did exactly that - they hid behind a "track use is not covered" line and demanded $30K+ for the rotor replacement. Now, that didn't go over very well with the braind faithful - why on earth would anyone spend $20K+ on an option that was designed and marketed for track use, yet when they took their cars to the track and those same track bits failed, Porsche just shrugged thier shoulders - but eventually the whole thing got swept under the rug (IIRC Porsche gave out steel rotors free of charge or somethign along those lines until they redeisgned the CCBs). Unlike GM, it was not the company's policy to publicly state that occasional track use is covered though.
Porsche is definitely not the best when it comes to warranty claims. They fight tooth and nail with a "pay to play" attitude.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:58 PM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Very impressive from GM. I hope other manufacturers do the same thing.