Failed Emissions with MBH headers and Eurocharged Tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by AMGonFire
I believe in Illinois you can't have 2 not ready which with a header tune that turns them off I think that would be 2 not ready monitors for the cats.
Shutting off the rear o2's counts as 1 not ready. the 2 rear o2 sensors only counts as 1 not ready. By disabling the rear o2's, the rear o2 heaters are shut off and not visable to the ob2di reader.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by ricecooker713
In my opinion, this would have passed inspection. The catalyst monitoring is turned on and is completed.

The rear oxygen sensor is in place to monitor catalyst efficiency, it does this by looking for a difference between the front and rear oxygen sensors. When turned back on and with straight pipes, a spacer will cause a difference in the readings, which sets the catalyst monitor.

When you clear the codes, it will also reset all the monitors and you will have to go through drive cycles again
That will definitely pass NYS inspection.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C63
Glad I'm not the only one. I'm in IL too and I just failed yesterday. Did not expect to fail at all since I had no CEL and didn't know that the EC v5 tune turned certain monitors off. Everything else is stock except for ROW airboxes.

The tester told me that IL has a new system in place, where it won't complete the test if the ECU has been tampered with. He said that, up until about a year ago, the IL system would still be able to complete the test, tuned or not. Whatever the case, this sucks. Here's a snapshot of my results.

I'm thinking of reflashing back to stock ECU and reflash back once it's done. Question here, is reflashing the ECU equivalent to resetting the battery - in terms of the readiness monitors? I know once you reset the battery, all your emissions sensors need to go through those crazy drive cycles in order to get into the Ready mode. Is that the same for when you reflash the ECU? I'm guessing it is, but part of me was hoping I wouldn't have to go through all that.

I have to get past the emissions by May 31st so I can re-register my car and get valid plate stickers by June 1. But I have a track day planned at NJMP on the 21st. I'm thinking I can reflash before my 12 hour drive back here and hopefully get all the readiness monitors ready.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 Amg
Do you have headers?

Also can you dropbox me the my genius install software? I tried to google it and i cant find it and EC hasnt replied. Let me know if u can. Would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 05-15-2016, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by hyunman
I'm thinking of reflashing back to stock ECU and reflash back once it's done. Question here, is reflashing the ECU equivalent to resetting the battery - in terms of the readiness monitors? I know once you reset the battery, all your emissions sensors need to go through those crazy drive cycles in order to get into the Ready mode. Is that the same for when you reflash the ECU? I'm guessing it is, but part of me was hoping I wouldn't have to go through all that.
As long as you don't have headers that will be fine. Flashing back to stock will reset the monitors and they'll need to be cycled again. However, it really isn't as bad as people make it seem. Just drive the car around some and you'll be good to go.

Once you pass emissions just throw the tune back on and you're good to go.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:45 PM

2010 C63
Awesome thanks PurpleHeart! And no, I don't have headers. Everything is stock down there so I'll try reflashing later.

Hey shivsiddh, I'm at my dad's place at the moment borrowing his garage for some maintenance. I don't have the computer I had the software on with me but I'll see if I can pm you a link once I get home later tonight.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:06 AM

2010 C63
Hey shivsiddh you got PM.

Keep us posted how you got this sorted out with IL emissions. I'll do same
Old 05-16-2016, 12:06 PM

2010 C63
Funny thing I learned just now...

So it looks like you don't need to pass emissions in order to get your renewal sticker in IL at least until June 1st.

On a whim, I tried to see just how far I could get through the online renewal process before it would flag me for not passing emissions or give me some kind of warning stating that my sticker would be withheld until I passed emissions. Oddly enough, went straight through the process without a peep about emissions... All I got was the confirmation email below, that vaguely states "Your vehicle must pass an IEPA emissions test."

I got curious so I poked around. Seems like there's been some type of budget failure that prevented the IEPA from timely sending out testing reminders since December 2015. They only began sending out notices again in April. No wonder my notice arrived a bit later than usual. Anyway, due to this discrepancy, it seems the Sec. of State is not withholding renewal stickers due to emissions at least for the time being.

Everything seems up in the air, and it'll all catch up eventually I'm sure. But for now, I'm hoping I can get the renewal sticker and earn myself some time.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:35 PM

2012 C63 Amg
Funny thing I learned just now...

So it looks like you don't need to pass emissions in order to get your renewal sticker in IL at least until June 1st.

On a whim, I tried to see just how far I could get through the online renewal process before it would flag me for not passing emissions or give me some kind of warning stating that my sticker would be withheld until I passed emissions. Oddly enough, went straight through the process without a peep about emissions... All I got was the confirmation email below, that vaguely states "Your vehicle must pass an IEPA emissions test."

I got curious so I poked around. Seems like there's been some type of budget failure that prevented the IEPA from timely sending out testing reminders since December 2015. They only began sending out notices again in April. No wonder my notice arrived a bit later than usual. Anyway, due to this discrepancy, it seems the Sec. of State is not withholding renewal stickers due to emissions at least for the time being.

Everything seems up in the air, and it'll all catch up eventually I'm sure. But for now, I'm hoping I can get the renewal sticker and earn myself some time.
Hey thanks a lot for the files. It worked this time

And wow this is awesome news. I am going to go ahead and order my sticker right now before they change things. I was afraid that i was running out of time, since may 31st was the deadline.

Thanks again
Old 05-16-2016, 12:46 PM

2010 C63
Good to hear and no problem. Yeah me too - huge relief for me since I don't have much free time until May 31st. I just hope the articles I read are still accurate/current, and I receive my sticker without problems.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by mthis
See the photo. rite now i would fail. but after driving around one by one does monitors turn on expect the cats.
so after 24 miles i checked to see the monitors and here it is. (normally city driving )
Failed Emissions with MBH headers and Eurocharged Tune-screenshot_2016-05-18-13-02-32.png
Old 05-18-2016, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
And this rite here will get u a Sticker.
Failed Emissions with MBH headers and Eurocharged Tune-screenshot_2016-05-18-13-42-06.png
Old 05-19-2016, 10:09 AM

2012 C63 Amg
Originally Posted by mthis
And this rite here will get u a Sticker.
I bought the bluetooth OBDII tool, i bought the torque app, i connected the mygenius tool to the car and i had an option in there to choose "original" and "modified"

I flashed it to original assuming its the stock file. I check the torque app and everything still shows complete for some reason, which cant be right. I expected some monitors to say incomplete or whatever at least till i drive a bit And also now i have a CEL.

So i connected the MYgenius tool to my computer and clicked on info. I see a v5 tune in there and a v5 header tune.

Where the hell is my damn stock file?

Sigh.

Last edited by shivsiddh; 05-19-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:17 AM

2010 C63
I assume you must've emailed Jerry your stock file in order to receive your modified files? Nothing in your email history?

My email chain with Jerry shows that I sent a "MYGFile.fpf" file, and I received a "V5-Tune .MYG" file in return. If you still have that original MYGFile.fpf somewhere, maybe you can upload it into your handheld and revert to stock that way? Never done that myself so have no clue if that's even possible or what steps are involved...
Old 05-19-2016, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,576 Likes on 929 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by shivsiddh
I bought the bluetooth OBDII tool, i bought the torque app, i connected the mygenius tool to the car and i had an option in there to choose "original" and "modified"

I flashed it to original assuming its the stock file. I check the torque app and everything still shows complete for some reason, which cant be right. I expected some monitors to say incomplete or whatever at least till i drive a bit And also now i have a CEL.

So i connected the MYgenius tool to my computer and clicked on info. I see a v5 tune in there and a v5 header tune.

Where the hell is my damn stock file?

Sigh.
You removed the tune when you chose "original".

Clicking info shows the available tune files loaded in the tool.

The CEL is probably because you're not tuned with headers.

How I understand it, there is no OE "tune". You are either writing a tune file or reverting it. The "original" options is what was created when you mated the tool to the car.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:32 AM

2010 C63
Yea Jasonoff is right. I was curious myself and saw this thread. Post #34 by Bardman says the same. https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-tricks-2.html
Old 05-19-2016, 12:54 PM

2012 C63 Amg
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
You removed the tune when you chose "original".

Clicking info shows the available tune files loaded in the tool.

The CEL is probably because you're not tuned with headers.

How I understand it, there is no OE "tune". You are either writing a tune file or reverting it. The "original" options is what was created when you mated the tool to the car.
Thanks, Makes sense... but then when i flashed back to the original my monitors still show they are all complete which cant be right.

Some of those should fail, atleast untill i drive a little.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:36 AM

2010 C63
So I just got back from the Thunderbolt track at NJMP. (I was amazed how agile this car was for its weight btw..). Before I left, I reflashed my ECU back to stock and within just the first 20 miles of driving, all of my monitors were ready/complete. Seems too soon from what I remember going through in my other cars. In my E46 M3, either the catalyst or the O2 monitor took about a week's worth of commuting (50 miles per day for 4-5 days) to kick into the ready state. Either way, I'm not complaining - all monitors are in ready state and I have no CEL. I'll probably get my car emission-tested this weekend regardless of whether I need it for my plate stickers or not.

BTW..has anyone heard of or know anything about this P2317 fault code? I get no CEL, but when I do a fault code scan on the Torque App, it keeps coming up intermittently. I know some codes are universal, while other codes mean different things to different car makes...I searched P2317 and C63 and find absolutely nothing..well other than the description listed here. I'll get it checked at the dealer, but wanted to see if anyone could give me a heads up on this.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:49 AM

2012 C63 Amg
So I just got back from the Thunderbolt track at NJMP. (I was amazed how agile this car was for its weight btw..). Before I left, I reflashed my ECU back to stock and within just the first 20 miles of driving, all of my monitors were ready/complete. Seems too soon from what I remember going through in my other cars. In my E46 M3, either the catalyst or the O2 monitor took about a week's worth of commuting (50 miles per day for 4-5 days) to kick into the ready state. Either way, I'm not complaining - all monitors are in ready state and I have no CEL. I'll probably get my car emission-tested this weekend regardless of whether I need it for my plate stickers or not.

BTW..has anyone heard of or know anything about this P2317 fault code? I get no CEL, but when I do a fault code scan on the Torque App, it keeps coming up intermittently. I know some codes are universal, while other codes mean different things to different car makes...I searched P2317 and C63 and find absolutely nothing..well other than the description listed here. I'll get it checked at the dealer, but wanted to see if anyone could give me a heads up on this.

Damn thats nice bro. Keep us updated on if you pass.
I dont know wtf is wrong with mine. I flashed to stock and my monitors immedietly say ready. Tht cant be right, they r prolly still off idk.
I also have a cel. If the montiors were working fine, i would have reset the cel and gone and tested it. I have o2 spacers in already. This is so annoying.

Oh and when i flashed to stock, i did a reset of fault codes in the torque app. This is what popped up.
Idk wtf is going on anymore. So annoyed tht i feel like i should have left the damn car stock
Old 05-28-2016, 04:56 PM

2010 C63
Quick update...I went to two facilities and the line was beyond long. I had to drive about 2-3 blocks just to get to the end of the line. I decided my time would be better spent elsewhere so it was a no go.

I'll try after May 31, since everyone still seems to be under the impression they need to pass emissions to get their plate stickers. I got my plate stickers last night by the way.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:02 PM

2012 C63 Amg
Quick update...I went to two facilities and the line was beyond long. I had to drive about 2-3 blocks just to get to the end of the line. I decided my time would be better spent elsewhere so it was a no go.

I'll try after May 31, since everyone still seems to be under the impression they need to pass emissions to get their plate stickers. I got my plate stickers last night by the way.
I got my plate stickers to.

Sadly i dont think can pass emissions without cats. No matter what i do.

Which sucks.

In illinois, the Catalyst cannot be incomplete to pass emissions.

With o2 spacers and resetting the codes and stuff, it doesnt help cause the catalyst monitor will always stay incomplete. So i dont know what other option is left other than spending 700 or so more to order MBH cats and then prolly a few hundred more to get that **** installed. This blows.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:35 PM

2010 C63
Yea I'm not sure how this whole emissions requirement in IL is going to play out for us. I know emissions tests are now required (starting June 1st), but that's for those who don't have stickers yet. Maybe we're free of emissions testing until next year's registration deadline. I'm only trying to pass emissions now because I already went to the trouble of putting my stock ECU back on and completing all the cycles. Otherwise, I wouldn't care until I received some notice from the state requiring testing.

About 8 years back, I was fighting the whole cat emissions on my Honda Accord and M3. I passed emissions by using the defouler/spacer trick on the Accord, and by using a chip on the M3. The chip was pretty cool - you tap it into the car, and it outputs a simulated waveform the emissions testers want to see. I checked, and the company that sold the chips are no longer in business, and their website is down for obvious reasons...

Long story short - the emissions tests are seemingly smarter nowadays, and if the spacer trick doesn't work for you, it unfortunately seems there's no way to pass without putting cats on. At the least, maybe you can enjoy another year of cat-free driving..
Old 05-31-2016, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
If you guys are really serious about not running cats, Google "O2 sensor simulator". I built one with a couple of capacitors and modified it so that the ECU was tricked into thinking that the rear heater O2 sensor circuits were still within spec (even though my rear O2 sensors are completely removed - I used the bungs for my wideband AFR gauge). For "off-road use only" of course, I don't encourage breaking any laws here.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:04 PM

2012 C63 Amg
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
If you guys are really serious about not running cats, Google "O2 sensor simulator". I built one with a couple of capacitors and modified it so that the ECU was tricked into thinking that the rear heater O2 sensor circuits were still within spec (even though my rear O2 sensors are completely removed - I used the bungs for my wideband AFR gauge). For "off-road use only" of course, I don't encourage breaking any laws here.
Will look into it. Didnt you say you wanted to cell your race cats?
Old 06-04-2016, 04:59 PM

2010 C63
So I planned to go get my emissions tested today, but the lines were super long yet again. While out doing other chores though, I caught a break. I was tracking the length of the lines via the Queue webcams found here. At around 12PM, an hour before close, I saw that the lines at the Skokie facility were short, so I went on over. After about 5 minutes of waiting, I reached my turn - that's me at the front of the line, four lanes down

And 5 minutes later...I passed

And less than 5 minutes later...the EC tune went right back on...

Boy I missed this tune...I realized how much of a difference the tune made driving around on the stock ECU these past few days. Not sure how I ever managed without it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Failed Emissions with MBH headers and Eurocharged Tune