Sponsored by:

Mygenius tips and tricks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by My2010M3
I'm in the same boat. I had the tune installed back in June, thanks to Philip from Eurocharged. He did the tune for me, as he was attending a open house in Indy. So I'm assuming my original file was sent and tuned, then sent back and installed. I haven't messed with it since, just enjoying the tune. I agree with others, not sure if it needs to be back to stock for normal service. I hope I'm able to do it if it arises. Otherwise, I intend to leave it alone unless a update becomes available or a warranty issues develops. I would b very interested to hear any tips to make sure I don't screw it up.
Originally Posted by jcfay
Not sure if anyone has done the procedure to restore the native tune (for servicing, etc.), but maybe whoever has could add simple instructions for that as well? Not sure I'll be doing it for routine service (actually, don't think I will) but would be good to know just in case.
I should be flashing my car back to stock in the next week or two (i'm going to do a reverse dyno run with tuned file first and then flashed back to stock and do another run). I will post up the process when I am done.

Originally Posted by rentzington
Windows 8 worked fine for me
Ok, great. I found the link to the driver install which I believe covers Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, but it seems this comes with the USB. If you have Windows 8.1 I would reach out to the company you buy the device from so they can source from dimsport (maybe check in advance they can get them).
Old 09-23-2014, 08:10 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 G63, Sold 2010 C63 AMG Development Package
any clue if this will work on a mac? I just ordered mine and it slipped my mind to ask.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Thanks for the write up it was very valuable , would have freaked out about the fans and ecu id I hadnt know
Old 09-23-2014, 08:56 PM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by CaptnCharisma
any clue if this will work on a mac? I just ordered mine and it slipped my mind to ask.
This guy here used Parrallels to get it running on his Mac:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post6093190

He initially had a problem, but further up you can see he got it working with updated drivers.

My guess is that it wont run in native Mac mode.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:05 PM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by rentzington
Thanks for the write up it was very valuable , would have freaked out about the fans and ecu id I hadnt know
No problem. This is the reason I wrote it up. The lack of clear documentation had me spending a lot of time tracking down info from various sources - thought it would be useful for others.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:34 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 G63, Sold 2010 C63 AMG Development Package
Originally Posted by Bardman
This guy here used Parrallels to get it running on his Mac:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post6093190

He initially had a problem, but further up you can see he got it working with updated drivers.

My guess is that it wont run in native Mac mode.
Thanks!
Old 09-24-2014, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
When you flash the tune, does the stock file get downloaded and stored in the library? And how does it get restored? Does anybody know?
Old 09-24-2014, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by Wobble64
When you flash the tune, does the stock file get downloaded and stored in the library? And how does it get restored? Does anybody know?
I was wondering the same thing, when i did my tune i noticed there was just the one file. I assume to put back to stock you re-download the original file to the my genius
Old 09-24-2014, 07:29 PM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by Wobble64
The stock tune is embedded in the tune file provided by the tuning company.

After you write the tuned file to your car, if you go back to the WRITE menu, you get two options - write tune or write original.

I have not actually gone ahead and written back the original, but will do so and provide details here.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aha. Mysterious.... I guess I will get my tune tomorrow. I sent my ID file this evening.

A proper manual would indeed be nice!

Yes, please let us know how it went when you flash back!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:11 AM

2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by johnny--2k
Correct, the manual says to unplug after dashboard off, but it asks you to run an error log again, with another dash on/off cycle, then it finishes. Very scary to read one set of instructions and see a totally different process occur!
So I ran the My Genius in my car, and i got the " run an error log again, with another dash on/off cycle" which i proceeded to do. Did I do something wrong? How do you know if you have uploaded the correct file?? The manual is BS!!!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:20 AM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by princealidds
So I ran the My Genius in my car, and i got the " run an error log again, with another dash on/off cycle" which i proceeded to do. Did I do something wrong? How do you know if you have uploaded the correct file?? The manual is BS!!!
Were you generating an ID file, or loading a tune?
Old 09-25-2014, 02:28 AM

2013 C63 AMG
Were you generating an ID file, or loading a tune?

I was generating an id file...... This is first time plugging the Mygenius so I can upload it & email it to eurocharger...... Did I mess up?
Old 09-25-2014, 02:31 AM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
I was generating an id file...... This is first time plugging the Mygenius so I can upload it & email it to eurocharger...... Did I mess up?
I think if you followed the instructions on the screen of the device, and you had the key in the second position (ie all dash lights on) when it asked for dashboard on, you should be fine.

If you have any doubts, you can reset the device (one of the menu options) and run the ID process again from the begining.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:42 AM

2013 C63 AMG
I think if you followed the instructions on the screen of the device, and you had the key in the second position (ie all dash lights on) when it asked for dashboard on, you should be fine.

If you have any doubts, you can reset the device (one of the menu options) and run the ID process again from the begining.
Yes I def had the switch/key in right position. I emailed eurocharged so I'm sure they'll let me know..... I didn't think of resetting it
Old 09-25-2014, 02:50 AM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Yes I def had the switch/key in right position. I emailed eurocharged so I'm sure they'll let me know.....
They may not. I originally generated my ID file incorrectly. I sent it to EC and they sent me back a tune file that wouldn't load. I would have thought that if the ID file was not correct/complete they would detect it, but it seems not...

In any case, it sounds like you have done everything correctly. Enjoy your tune!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
They may not. I originally generated my ID file incorrectly. I sent it to EC and they sent me back a tune file that wouldn't load. I would have thought that if the ID file was not correct/complete they would detect it, but it seems not...

In any case, it sounds like you have done everything correctly. Enjoy your tune!
That's interesting. I thought I messed up the ID file generation (only switched the ignition to position 1, not 2 - ), but sent the file to EC and received my tune with an email saying that my ID file was fine. Was able to install tune, and to me it seems like all has been OK since then.

I just wish this process was easier, had better directions, and there was a way to verify that you've uploaded a correct tune to the car. I know when I was uploading the V5 tune, after the additional cycle or 2 or 3 (can't remember how many), the engine fan kicked in at full speed for about 30 secs. I remember reading elsewhere this was a sign that the tune was being transferred. But again, nothing about this in the instructions, which is more than just a wee bit disappointing.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I installed the tune today. In order to take no chances with battery voltage, I connected a smart 8A charger prior to the process to help. Not sure that was needed.

1. Plugged in the handheld
2. Turned on ignition fully
3.Select Write on handheld and follow instructions. It read the ECU, told me to turn ignition off, read again, turn ignition on again, then started flashing. Fans ramp up, ESP is unavailable, parking sensors are all red and beeping. It took about 2 minutes. Then the fans ramp down and it asked me I think 2 more times to turn ignition off and on again, processed errors and eventually gave me the ECU write successful message.

Engine started. :-) Took a short test drive - all looks good, car feels more alive, blips are more pronounced but not obnoxious or too much. Can't say anything about performance yet, as there was traffic.

Overall the process went smooth, as it should be. Just follow the on screen prompts!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Segway
When I followed the turn ignition off directions on the screen it wouldn't download the Id file or upload the tune. In both instances of getting the ID and uploading the tune I left the power on when it said to turn it off and just clicked ok.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think it is really designed to deal with a variety of situations and in case of any doubt checks again to confirm no errors before declaring the tune complete. All we need to do is trust it and follow on screen prompts.

It is just intransparent and a bit clunky. A OBD2 cable for a laptop with an interactive graphical software interface would be a totally different story. I expect in a few years that will be the standard.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:02 AM

2013 C63 AMG
Just got my V5 tune on my 2013 C63 PP. The barks are cool on downshift but it doesn't have the rumble as I decelerate like before??? Car feels more responsive but I woudnt say 30-40hp increase! I know dyno is order for that.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Just got my V5 tune on my 2013 C63 PP. The barks are cool on downshift but it doesn't have the rumble as I decelerate like before???
Give it some time. I've noticed an evolution of the car's performance in the months since I added the tune. Plus, you'll get rumble on harder decelerations with braking. Mine makes some gnarly noises now with decels, depending on how fast I'm slowing.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:39 PM

2009 C63
Just got my tune today and tried to load it. I have no clue if it loaded correctly or not. I followed the steps on here as well as the prompts on the my genius hand held. Went through the "on and off ignition" prompts about 3 times and at the end got an error code of 0x3311 change of status not possible. Now before the second cycle of "tuen ignition on" came up i saw a message real quick on the handheld about the ECU then it went away. I never got any fans going or anything. Any ideas?
Old 10-14-2014, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sounds like it indeed never even started writing, otherwise you would have seen right away that the fans come on, the parking sensor beep, traction control unavailable, etc. There is no way of mistaking that. As for the reason why, I can only guess: Poor connection? Low voltage?

Did you try it more than once? Disconnect, reconnect and start over?
Old 10-14-2014, 08:33 PM

2009 C63
Yes, just did it again and was able to see the messages a bit better now. It looks like the tune is about to be written to the edu then it switches back to the turn ignition on to run errors. IT makes me go through the cycle again and comes out with the above error.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mygenius tips and tricks