C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Failed Emissions with MBH headers and Eurocharged Tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 Amg
Failed Emissions with MBH headers and Eurocharged Tune

So I dreaded thinking about this day when i bought the MBH headers and now it is here.

I have a 2012 C63 coupe, live in Chicago, IL and i recently got a notice to do emissions by May 31st.

I have a Eurocharged v5 Tune, MBH Full setup, headers, mids, x-pipe.

I do not have the race cats from mbh sigh. I do have o2 spacers but they are not installed.

I like a fool, scanned it on my friends scanner and it said green so i figured hmm let me go check.

Needless to say i failed. Attaching the sheet they gave me to this.

What options do i have? What do i do to get this cleared other than ordering the race cats from mbh which i really dont want to do.

Any help would be appreciated. Time to get this resolved is obviously limited.

P.s Got the setup installed at speedriven in palatine. If Speedriven, Eurocharged or anyone else has a solution to this, i would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Failed Emissions with MBH headers and Eurocharged Tune-1.png  

Last edited by shivsiddh; 05-02-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 847 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
The monitors are just disabled in the tune. I start by having those turned back on. Cats or no cats, you'll fail everytime.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:38 PM

2012 C63 Amg
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
The monitors are just disabled in the tune. I start by having those turned back on. Cats or no cats, you'll fail everytime.
I can reach out to Eurocharged for that. But besides that, having no cats will the tune file mask that?
Old 05-02-2016, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
I been passing for years without cats. You guys need to spend 15buck and it will make your life alot easier when it comes to passing inspection.
Bluetooth obd2 adapter
tq app on android
read monitors while u drive , drive till they turn on and go rite to the shop and get u sticker. (dont turn your car off at all)
Edit: 1 monitor will always stay off that will be the cats. the rest should turn on. if they dont then u should get a cel and u might need new 02 sensors.

Last edited by mthis; 05-02-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,815 Likes on 1,668 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I was just saying tonight that I was thinking about swapping out my MBH race cats for straight pipes. If you're interested I'd be willing to trade.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:26 AM

2012 C63 Amg
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
I was just saying tonight that I was thinking about swapping out my MBH race cats for straight pipes. If you're interested I'd be willing to trade.
I'll have to consider this if i cant figure out anything else. What would you want?
Old 05-03-2016, 12:28 AM

2012 C63 Amg
Originally Posted by mthis
I been passing for years without cats. You guys need to spend 15buck and it will make your life alot easier when it comes to passing inspection.
Bluetooth obd2 adapter
tq app on android
read monitors while u drive , drive till they turn on and go rite to the shop and get u sticker. (dont turn your car off at all)
Edit: 1 monitor will always stay off that will be the cats. the rest should turn on. if they dont then u should get a cel and u might need new 02 sensors.
Sorry but can you ellaborate? I am not an expert at this obviously. If the monitor for the cats stays on, i still fail emissions correct?
Old 05-03-2016, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 111 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Why would you fail if he had the cats in place?
Old 05-03-2016, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by shivsiddh
So I dreaded thinking about this day when i bought the MBH headers and now it is here.

I have a 2012 C63 coupe, live in Chicago, IL and i recently got a notice to do emissions by May 31st.

I have a Eurocharged v5 Tune, MBH Full setup, headers, mids, x-pipe.

I do not have the race cats from mbh sigh. I do have o2 spacers but they are not installed.

I like a fool, scanned it on my friends scanner and it said green so i figured hmm let me go check.

Needless to say i failed. Attaching the sheet they gave me to this.

What options do i have? What do i do to get this cleared other than ordering the race cats from mbh which i really dont want to do.

Any help would be appreciated. Time to get this resolved is obviously limited.

P.s Got the setup installed at speedriven in palatine. If Speedriven, Eurocharged or anyone else has a solution to this, i would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Try having eurocharge send you a tune that doesn't disable the o2 sensors that's prob why you failed they where disabled. Now once you do that you prob will get a cel but who knows worth a try. Also if you have o2 spacers why not try those out with the new tune file?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by AMGonFire
Why would you fail if he had the cats in place?
Because the tune has two monitors disabled which is why the CEL doesn't pop on. So, even though the car could be mechanically able w/ cats in place it wouldn't matter because the programming wont allow it.

This is an easy thing to fix and EC can easily have the monitors turned back on.

It was mentioned, but I think your best bet is to have all the monitors on and then have a scanner plugged in for a drive. Just wait until they are set and ready then have the car inspected. You should still be able to pass an inspection with 1 fault as well.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:45 PM

2012 C63 Amg
Because the tune has two monitors disabled which is why the CEL doesn't pop on. So, even though the car could be mechanically able w/ cats in place it wouldn't matter because the programming wont allow it.

This is an easy thing to fix and EC can easily have the monitors turned back on.

It was mentioned, but I think your best bet is to have all the monitors on and then have a scanner plugged in for a drive. Just wait until they are set and ready then have the car inspected. You should still be able to pass an inspection with 1 fault as well.

I messaged Jerry and as usual he replied promptly. He said install the o2 spacers, put the stock tune on and drive till all the monitors are ready.

I get that. That is what people here are saying too.

What i dont get is, if i put the stock tune on with no Cats in, wont the CEL come up? Does the o2 spacer prevent the CEL from popping up and/or mask the fact that there are no cats?

i dont know why i am so confused, this shouldnt be that confusing.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
I messaged Jerry and as usual he replied promptly. He said install the o2 spacers, put the stock tune on and drive till all the monitors are ready.

I get that. That is what people here are saying too.

What i dont get is, if i put the stock tune on with no Cats in, wont the CEL come up? Does the o2 spacer prevent the CEL from popping up and/or mask the fact that there are no cats?

i dont know why i am so confused, this shouldnt be that confusing.
That's what the spacer is for. Designed so the CEL doesn't pop up. It is an imperfect system, though, so be patient with it. Sometimes it takes a few cycles for the monitors to be good to go. But I think that is a good path
Old 05-03-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63
It pulls the O2 sensor out of the direct stream to trick the system into thinking the burnt gases are within acceptable parameters (that is, if this works like every other car I've run with test pipes and the defouler trick and there isn't some sort of Mercedes voodoo magic that always makes something go wrong)
Old 05-04-2016, 06:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
Sorry but can you ellaborate? I am not an expert at this obviously. If the monitor for the cats stays on, i still fail emissions correct?
If the monitors for cats are on and u have no cats u should get a cel. (not rite away but eventually u will) what tuners usually do is turn the cat monitor off and u fail that 1 monitor but everything else passes u still pass bc your allow to fail 1 monitor to pass inspection.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
See the photo. rite now i would fail. but after driving around one by one does monitors turn on expect the cats.
Failed Emissions with MBH headers and Eurocharged Tune-smartselectimage_2016-05-04-06-37-13.png
Old 05-13-2016, 10:42 PM

2012 C63 Amg
Originally Posted by mthis
See the photo. rite now i would fail. but after driving around one by one does monitors turn on expect the cats.
Thanks! I got the app and the bluetooth obdii.

New problem. I changed my laptop and now i dont have the my genius install software. Can anyone email/dropbox/google drive it to me? Plz

I checked my flash drive and its not on there either, so i must have moved it or deleted it like a idiot.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:59 AM

2012 C63 Amg
I put the o2 spacers on today and installed the tune that was on my handheld. Idk what it was, it said originial and then modified. I went for the orginial, since i dont have the software to reload the original tune for now. I am hoping it was the right one. Installed it and checked the torque app.

This is what i get. No clue why it still says all r ready/complete. Doesnt seem right
Old 05-14-2016, 04:02 AM

2012 C63 Amg
Tried to reset everything, the app had an option, after doing that i got this.

The other screen tht i posted earlier still says all complete. Maybe i didnt install the right tune. Idk wtf is going on anymore.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
You can't use your stock tune. You don't have cats and you have your rear o2's turned on. This isn't a honda civic, don't believe the BS that spacers will work. The o2 sensors can adapt and negate the spacers. Your rear o2 sensors are also dead and need to be replaced, but there is no point in doing that as the new o2 sensors will get fouled up quickly. This is what you have to do.

1) Have EC send you a header tune with the rear o2's disabled. I foolishly believed that my ARH LT's with 200 cel cats will not foul out my rear o2's with the EC tune with the rear o2's turned on. I ended up turning them off, but had some additional issues with the EC tune running rich.
2) Drive the car with the new tune until everything is shows up as ready.
3) Problem solved, emissions passed.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by I am Jeff
You can't use your stock tune. You don't have cats and you have your rear o2's turned on. This isn't a honda civic, don't believe the BS that spacers will work. The o2 sensors can adapt and negate the spacers. Your rear o2 sensors are also dead and need to be replaced, but there is no point in doing that as the new o2 sensors will get fouled up quickly. This is what you have to do.

1) Have EC send you a header tune with the rear o2's disabled. I foolishly believed that my ARH LT's with 200 cel cats will not foul out my rear o2's with the EC tune with the rear o2's turned on. I ended up turning them off, but had some additional issues with the EC tune running rich.
I believe in Illinois you can't have 2 not ready which with a header tune that turns them off I think that would be 2 not ready monitors for the cats.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:19 AM

2012 C63 Amg
Originally Posted by I am Jeff

I had a header tune from EC. I had no spacers and didnt even have a CEL. I went it there for emissions cause scanner had said everything was ok and then i failed emissions. So now i am here.

I contacted jerry from EC. He said put the stock tune on, put spacers, drive around till the monitors say ready.
That is what i am trying to do, but the damn thing is confusing.

Can anyone here swnd the zip file to install the mygenius client via deop box or something. I need that to install the software on my new laptop and make sure i am loading rhe right stock tune. Pm me if u are willing to send me the install file. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
^ EC wouldn't send you the mygenius software? You could probably even just google it to be honest
Old 05-14-2016, 12:43 PM

2012 C63 Amg
^ EC wouldn't send you the mygenius software? You could probably even just google it to be honest
I emailed them. Just figure i ask here too and see.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63 E63
I put the o2 spacers on today and installed the tune that was on my handheld. Idk what it was, it said originial and then modified. I went for the orginial, since i dont have the software to reload the original tune for now. I am hoping it was the right one. Installed it and checked the torque app.

This is what i get. No clue why it still says all r ready/complete. Doesnt seem right
In my opinion, this would have passed inspection. The catalyst monitoring is turned on and is completed.

The rear oxygen sensor is in place to monitor catalyst efficiency, it does this by looking for a difference between the front and rear oxygen sensors. When turned back on and with straight pipes, a spacer will cause a difference in the readings, which sets the catalyst monitor.

When you clear the codes, it will also reset all the monitors and you will have to go through drive cycles again

Last edited by ricecooker713; 05-14-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:25 PM

2012 C63 Amg
Originally Posted by ricecooker713
In my opinion, this would have passed inspection. The catalyst monitoring is turned on and is completed.

The rear oxygen sensor is in place to monitor catalyst efficiency, it does this by looking for a difference between the front and rear oxygen sensors. When turned back on and with straight pipes, a spacer will cause a difference in the readings, which sets the catalyst monitor.

When you clear the codes, it will also reset all the monitors and you will have to go through drive cycles again
The problem is that they have been saying complete even before i put the spacers on.
My guess is that the header tune turns the monitors off and because of that it just says complete.
Then again i have no idea. I didnt know this was going to be so confusing.

Fml

Last edited by shivsiddh; 05-14-2016 at 01:50 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Failed Emissions with MBH headers and Eurocharged Tune