Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes E43
Difference in 2017 and 2018 E43

Dear All,
Welcome come to my first post!

I have checked around to find out about the difference between 2017 and 2018 E43. I only found one on Youtube. There isnt much info thus I appreciate your sharing here. I wish to know the difference so I can move towards a direction.

I am driving a GS Lexus now, a temporary car since my Alfa GTA is not longer sustainable (spare parts a pain). After driving the Lexus, I reckon I could do with a comfy luxurious feel car.

Cheers!
Old 05-04-2024, 08:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,465 Likes on 2,098 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by CityhunterXYZ
Dear All,
Welcome come to my first post!

I have checked around to find out about the difference between 2017 and 2018 E43. I only found one on Youtube. There isnt much info thus I appreciate your sharing here. I wish to know the difference so I can move towards a direction.

I am driving a GS Lexus now, a temporary car since my Alfa GTA is not longer sustainable (spare parts a pain). After driving the Lexus, I reckon I could do with a comfy luxurious feel car.

Cheers!
Found this on another thread, compare the two ordering guides:
2017 model year ordering guide: https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...ompressed2.pdf
2018 model year ordering guide: https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...essed_more.pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by W205C43PFL:
CityhunterXYZ (05-04-2024), YYC53 (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 10:54 PM

Mercedes E43
Thanks sir for the information!

So I dug further and discovered that some of the control panels have 2, 3 or 5 functions. I reckon this is part of the package selected. I always thought HUD is part of the function. It seems this function is only available to the package you choose.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

So I dug further and discovered that some of the control panels have 2, 3 or 5 functions. I reckon this is part of the package selected. I always thought HUD is part of the function. It seems this function is only available to the package you choose.

Mhmmm, if you haven't already know but from left to right:
Steering assist, Lane Keep Assist (both part of the DISTRONIC suite), Parktronic OFF, HUD, Airbody raise, the blank is the placeholder for the Seatbelt giver (for coupes and convertibles)
Old 05-05-2024, 11:39 AM

Mercedes E43
Thanks for your guide! Appreciate.

Other questions I have is, 1) MB advises the limit of sulphur content in petrol to be filled in, ie <10ppm, I would assume that's Euro5 standard. We have Euro4M which is about 50ppm. In the long run, this will damage the engine right?
2) Nothing about tyre size in the Manual. E43 originally is on 245 and 275 width. I assume like most cars, it is safe to update to 255 and 285 right?

Any sharing is appreciated.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 785 Likes on 534 Posts
2018 AMG E43
AFAIK, there were no major changes from 2017-2018. Probably just software/logic and mild appearance changes.

One small one is I believe in 2017 red interior stitching was standard whereas in 2018 silver stitching was standard and red stitching was optional (I think). The red stitching is what kept me away from used 2017's, only because red stitching is not my preferred taste and I had choices so I ended up with a 2018 with silver stitching.

Old 05-05-2024, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43

The following is my 2018 E43 with the P3 package.

From left to right:

Steering Assist - Lane Assist - Parktronic - HUD - Rear Window Shade - Airmatic Raise/Lower.

Old 05-06-2024, 07:52 AM

Mercedes E43
Some great options you have there Keith. Thanks for sharing.
I went to view a few cars today and was happy with the "window shopping"
I saw a Grey Magno (2017), black and white E43. The grey has Park Assist, Airmatic+ and HUD. Black one has all 3 plus Steering and Lane. Only the white doesn't comes with HUD. None has R.window shade.

The 2018 Black has chestnut brown leather while the rest are the black w/ red stitching. I thought I like the black but upon learning its previous colour was red, it was a turnoff. The paint job isnt the best and it feels thinner than original. Hence, I am considering the grey. White is on 19" wheels with cracks under the left headlight cover.

Decision time.
The following users liked this post:
Keith66 (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Some great options you have there Keith. Thanks for sharing.
I went to view a few cars today and was happy with the "window shopping"
I saw a Grey Magno (2017), black and white E43. The grey has Park Assist, Airmatic+ and HUD. Black one has all 3 plus Steering and Lane. Only the white doesn't comes with HUD. None has R.window shade.

The 2018 Black has chestnut brown leather while the rest are the black w/ red stitching. I thought I like the black but upon learning its previous colour was red, it was a turnoff. The paint job isnt the best and it feels thinner than original. Hence, I am considering the grey. White is on 19" wheels with cracks under the left headlight cover.

Decision time.
I'm with you, I would never buy a color changed car unless it was a classic. It takes a massive effort and money to do a color change correctly and even after that, there are almost always artifacts.

If it was just sprayed externally, I'm sure it looks outstanding whenever you open the doors, hood or trunk, lol.

Good luck in the search!

Old 05-08-2024, 11:32 AM

Mercedes E43
Decided to go for the Selenite grey magno E43. Test drove it and fell in love with it. It has HUD and I learnt that in Eco mode, the car moves from stationery in 2nd gear.
Waiting for my PPI to be arranged.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Decided to go for the Selenite grey magno E43. Test drove it and fell in love with it. It has HUD and I learnt that in Eco mode, the car moves from stationery in 2nd gear.
Good choice, pictures once you take delivery : )
Old 05-08-2024, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Congratulations! Sounds like a great choice.

I love my E43. For me, it's the perfect "middle ground" car and does everything I want a car to do very well.

It is the first car I've owned that is truly a Jeckel and Hyde car. In Comfort, it's quiet, comfortable and sips fuel. In Sport+ with traction control turned off (Sport Handling enabled) it's like a totally different car.

If you don't already know, Sport+ activates an electronically controlled exhaust system valve that makes the exhaust louder/deeper. It also increases the idle RPM, so you'll feel it pushing on the brakes a bit more while stopped.

Sport+ will also make it shift hard and Sport Handling (traction control off) will make it shift even harder.

If you're into pushing (abusing) the car from a start: in Sport+, traction control off, stand on the brakes hard and bring the RPM to 2800-3000 (do this quickly) and let go of the brakes while simultaneously flooring the throttle … the car will get.

Enjoy!

Old 05-09-2024, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
I have the selenite magno and it’s nice, but in some light it looks a little blue. I like the newer gray magnos a bit more (carbon?), a bit more on the black side.. Just be careful with this paint. I’d recommend a full PPF install.

also I find the e43 impossible to drive in comfort. I live around a lot of steep hills and it cannot move from a stop going uphill. Just feels like it’s dying until the turbos kick in lol. And it requires full boost to get it moving. Cant remember if there’s a program fix to start with last mode.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by lowpost
I have the selenite magno and it’s nice, but in some light it looks a little blue. I like the newer gray magnos a bit more (carbon?), a bit more on the black side.. Just be careful with this paint. I’d recommend a full PPF install.

also I find the e43 impossible to drive in comfort. I live around a lot of steep hills and it cannot move from a stop going uphill. Just feels like it’s dying until the turbos kick in lol. And it requires full boost to get it moving. Cant remember if there’s a program fix to start with last mode.
I've noticed the more you drive the car "normally", the more gentle and timid the ECM profile gets.

Maybe you need to flog it a bit to wake up Comfort mode? lol

Old 05-09-2024, 12:52 PM

Mercedes E43

The deal is about to be off. If you can see the side doors, they have been resprayed and the sales was dishonest to say this car hasn't been in n accident. In fact, this sales person is also the owner! I like this car and this colour so I am taking a next step to bring it to a workshop for a scan to see if the accident has compromise the B-pillar and overall structure. I don't know if this is a love is blind affair but it surely sour the whole experience.
Can anyone here share if they heard or experience high engine oil consumption with this V6? Because of this experience, even with the structure and chassis safe, I have more doubts now.

Last edited by CityhunterXYZ; 05-09-2024 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43

The deal is about to be off. If you can see the side doors, they have been resprayed and the sales was dishonest to say this car hasn't been in n accident. In fact, this sales person is also the owner! I like this car and this colour so I am taking a next step to bring it to a workshop for a scan to see if the accident has compromise the B-pillar and overall structure. I don't know if this is a love is blind affair but it surely sour the whole experience.
Can anyone here share if they heard or experience high engine oil consumption with this V6? Because of this experience, even with the structure and chassis safe, I have more doubts now.
Bummer. Yeah, you can clearly see that the rear quarter, doors and front fender all appear to have different shades and finishes. I would think this type of color and finish is extremely difficult to color/finish match. Even "regular" silvers are very hard to match properly.

My M276 uses almost zero oil between changes (every 10K miles) and Ive never had to add any oil in the time I've owned the car... a little over a year now.

If I were him, I'd want to sell this car too.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
Holy sh*t that is quite the paint job. My paint shop has trained Mercedes magno painters and it still required them to experiment on their own until they got the process and mix right. Luckily they figured it out before they painted my spoiler and rear trim.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:26 PM

Mercedes E43

But nonetheless I sent the car for inspection. So this is the side view of the driver side which I shared earlier. Notice the 2 red spots? They are some big dings/dents. The OCD owner decided to respray the 2 doors.

On the other side which the paint job is less obvious, owner had probably brushed against the side wall thus the darker red area marks the impact area. Either side is not major damage that impact the chassis or B, C pillar.

Can I ask for the above leaks are normal for a 7yr old car? What need to be done is to replace the valve cover seal, auto gear box seal and new oil fitler right?
Old 05-12-2024, 11:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,039 Likes on 1,421 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned

But nonetheless I sent the car for inspection. So this is the side view of the driver side which I shared earlier. Notice the 2 red spots? They are some big dings/dents. The OCD owner decided to respray the 2 doors.

On the other side which the paint job is less obvious, owner had probably brushed against the side wall thus the darker red area marks the impact area. Either side is not major damage that impact the chassis or B, C pillar.

Can I ask for the above leaks are normal for a 7yr old car? What need to be done is to replace the valve cover seal, auto gear box seal and new oil fitler right?
an E43 with a RMS leaking??
Old 05-13-2024, 02:20 AM

Mercedes E43
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
an E43 with a RMS leaking??
I have read somewhere here that even the C/E 63 has the same issue, especially those 50K miles and above. I thought as long as it's rubber related, it is common due to age, wear and tear. Isn't it?

I hope it is nothing major as long as you replace the seals before it gets worse.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

That is 100% NOT normal for a M276, I wonder if they overfilled oil at some point and the crankcase kept on whipping it like cream.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

I have read somewhere here that even the C/E 63 has the same issue, especially those 50K miles and above. I thought as long as it's rubber related, it is common due to age, wear and tear. Isn't it?

I hope it is nothing major as long as you replace the seals before it gets worse.
The M276 does NOT have the RMS leaking problem, I am surprised too seeing this car shown in the image having oil leaking where that spot is.
Valve cover leak oil is common though. Need to remove it and re-silicone it, engine doesn't have to be removed from vehicle so it isn't that bad.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:40 AM

Mercedes E43
Geez this sucks. So a couple of questions.
1. Is the rear main seal is easily replace and asssessible, together with the valve cover?
2. I know one cant really tell if the engine is consuming oil at a high rate without driving it for a while, But what are the tell tale signs usually, besides white smoke from exhaust?

Appreciate some advice.

Last edited by CityhunterXYZ; 05-13-2024 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Geez this sucks. So a couple of questions.
1. Is the rear main seal is easily replace and asssessible, together with the valve cover?
2. I know one cant really tell if the engine is consuming oil at a high rate without driving it for a while, But what are the tell tale signs usually?

Appreciate some advice.
1. Sorry for the bad news but nope. That said, it is strange this car has a RMS leaking issue because as mentioned, M276 does not have this issue but that is a M276 so I guess it is a first?
2. If engine constantly overheats
Old 05-13-2024, 10:06 AM

Mercedes E43
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
1. Sorry for the bad news but nope. That said, it is strange this car has a RMS leaking issue because as mentioned, M276 does not have this issue but that is a M276 so I guess it is a first?
2. If engine constantly overheats
I read that to replace RMS, many components need to be removed before the mechanic can access and change. I assume this applies to M276 engine as well. However, will I be assured that this is the end of the problem or there could be other underlying problems that need to check as well?

Last edited by CityhunterXYZ; 05-13-2024 at 10:51 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Difference in 2017 and 2018 E43