CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Spark plug/ignition coils

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 02:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CL600
Spark plug/ignition coils

Well, I guess I have to tackle this myself I need to Change my spark plugs and wanted...need help, advice with how to go about it the best way.
What is the success rate of saving the ignition coils through this process?
To go back a bit I talked to my Indy shop but they won't guarantee the ignition packs if they do it, either will other shops I called. Those shops and the dealer will do it but they add the price for 2 new Ignition coils packs to the job, they consider the I/C packs throw away.
I watched the slide show of the process on the cl65 forum of pulling the packs and plug change but I need more detail on the best way of getting the ignition coil packs off so that they survive the job to fight on working another day.
If you can send a video or detailed description of how to do it correctly or point me to a source that gives this info I so need this.
Also what plugs to use is best?
The NGK Iridium IX spark plugs or the NGK laser Iridium spark plugs, I know both will work but one is twice the price but is it twice as good, or is there a better plug? I don't mind paying for what is best to use but I don't want to over pay for a "certain plug" that doesn't give me anything better or more performance then another plug that costs less.
All help is appreciated, thanks in advance cause I know I can count on the best advice.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
I have never heard of a shop adding coil packs to a spark plug change job. I don't know what specific questions you are asking these shops, but of course no shop is going to guarantee your old coils. They can fail at any time and are a common failure item , so no shop wants to be responsible if the old coils fail soon after the plug change - even if they do the plug installation correctly

You should just be asking for a quote for a plug change . If you start talking about the coil and how you want it guaranteed , that's going to change their scope of work

Call another mb dealer . I'm sure you'll find one who will just change plugs . Again as soon as you mention the coil and that you want it guaranteed , they will include that too .
Old 07-15-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 C300
I'm assuming you are worried that they will break the coils removing them, and if that's the case, you will just have to trust them. No shop will ever guarantee a part they are not replacing. If you have a problem, you'd have to take it up with them then, and know you have no actual rights unless there is evidence they damaged the coils. As mentioned, they are a known failure point. If you pick up the car, and it's running fine then, it's unlikely any future issue with them is due to their damaging them.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
A plug change on these is not that difficult. If you saw the thread about it its really just about that simple. That being said, take your time removing/installing the coils. PRY GENTLY a little at a time. I personally used two pry bars to gently lift up moving them just a little at a time. Remember, with these coils, even slightly bent = ruined. As for plugs, I'm just running the IX's and they are working fine so far.