CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

2000 Cl non Bose speaker wiring?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes cl500 2000
2000 Cl non Bose speaker wiring?

I'm feeling that the factory sub is not really that great. My car has a centre dash speaker, 2 front, 2 rear in doors, 2 tweeters by mirrors and a sub in rear shelf. There is no amp by cd changer but I can't see how the centre channel & sub would be powered just from the 8 pin speaker plug in back of head unit. Is there a small amp for rear sub or is it just passively wired across rear channels? I'm thinking of replacing sub with its own dedicated amp as stealth as possible. That way I can get some bass without using the full bass setting in menu which seems to overload door speakers. I have fairly load exhausts so bass tends to be difficult to hear on the move. Any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes cl500 2000
There are amps available now that don't need a trigger wire from head unit and as the battery is in the trunk anyway install should be easy except changing the sub which I believe is a bit of a pain to remove. I don't want a sub box in the back cause I use the space quite often. I'm thinking the biggest issue will be stopping the trim rattling at loud volumes in a 17 yr old car. I'm currently using a Bluetooth cassette in tape deck to play music from my iPhone which works well, as long as your tape deck is in good working order. This also has the advantage of being totally wireless.