Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (W215, W216)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (W215, W216) Discuss the CL55, CL65, and the CL63 AMG.

Sponsored by : Velos Designwerks
Click Here

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #1

Drives: Bicycle
Evosport crank pulley racketing noise...

Using a stethoscope I learned that my crank pulley was making awfully loud racketing. Has anyone seen/heard anything like this on their cars? I drive an '03 CL55 equipped with evosport pulleys and a bunch of other goodies(?).

If someone wants to hear, I'll upload a sound clip once I get a chance. I appreciate the help guys.
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

Last edited by leetski; 03-10-2011 at 10:46 AM.
leetski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

the crank pulley transfers perfectly all the noise coming from the engine and the 55 motors are very mechanically vocal even at idle (lots of clicking and clacking). they all sound like they are worn out and on their last leg as they are fairly loose in terms of tolerances (german school of thoughts)

i think you are hearing just the motor doing its thing...
alx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #3

I have a pretty acute ear and I am almost positive that this noise is relatively new to 55 orchestra. I'll work on getting that recording up ASAP. Thanks alx.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #4

Here is the link with video/audio...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nxTVQCD4zM

Any thoughts?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ugghh that is ugly. I agree that this is not part of the 55 motor repertoire. On the other hand the clanging is too fast to be part of the valve train so it must be coming from the crank. My guess is your damper is coming either apart or the whole pulley is lose on the crankshaft.

Let us know.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
if you are hearing it as coming more from the left side (passenger side), then it can just be time to replace your tensioner

ps: I just realized I entered the wrong forum, not CLS this one ... LOL
dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alx View Post
Ugghh that is ugly. I agree that this is not part of the 55 motor repertoire. On the other hand the clanging is too fast to be part of the valve train so it must be coming from the crank. My guess is your damper is coming either apart or the whole pulley is lose on the crankshaft.

Let us know.
The dampener is part of the pulley design?

Should I just get the same replacement crank pulley (evosport fully dampened overdrive crankshaft pulley) or look for something a little more durable (other manuf.)? and in what size? I imagine its not a smart thing to go for an OEM crank pulley given that I have a typical evosport setup?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
PREMIER SPONSOR

Drives: None fast enough!
Sorry for the issues you are having first of all.

However, are you sure it is the crank pulley and not one of the tensioners?

Feel free to call us and we can assist you with the problem.

thanks
brad

Please send any inquiries to user: sales @ evosport or email sales@evosport.com.
brad @ evosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport View Post

thanks
brad
i think on the video he has removed the belt... so the tensioners are not spinning... i think...

my take is the noise is must be coming from the crank as it is the fastest spinning part- the clackety-clack rate is too fast to be valvetrain related... so it is either the crank pulley or one of the timing chains tensioners...
Old 03-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
MBWorld Fanatic!

here you may find more details.
maybe it's just this

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/w211-a...k-anybody.html
Old 03-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport View Post

thanks
brad
You can never be 100% certain. I used a mechanic's stethoscope until I localized the sound around the inner walls of the crank pulley. I'll take you up on that offer, do you have a number? I appreciate it, thanks.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alx View Post
i think on the video he has removed the belt... so the tensioners are not spinning... i think...

my take is the noise is must be coming from the crank as it is the fastest spinning part- the clackety-clack rate is too fast to be valvetrain related... so it is either the crank pulley or one of the timing chains tensioners...
That's correct. In the video I did remove the supercharger belt. Initially I was lead to believe by some of the search hits I was getting on the subject of "engine noise" that the possible culprit was the supercharger clutch bearing. Suffice to say it is not.

The stethoscope was really a good investment. I got the kind that has two attachments. One is cone shaped and the other is a simple stick. I used the cone shaped one to isolate the knocking to the crank pulley area.

Last edited by leetski; 03-10-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno View Post
here you may find more details.
maybe it's just this

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/w211-a...k-anybody.html
I stumbled across your post during my initial search on the subject. That doesn't seam to be an issue as it concerns this specific noise, but there is significant play there as well. Something to look into at another time definitely. Thanks for contributing man.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #14
MBWorld Fanatic!

wish you it's nothing about internals ..

maybe it's worth isolate external factors by removing not only the belt but also the tensioner pulley.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
PREMIER SPONSOR

Drives: None fast enough!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetski View Post
You can never be 100% certain. I used a mechanic's stethoscope until I localized the sound around the inner walls of the crank pulley. I'll take you up on that offer, do you have a number? I appreciate it, thanks.
No problem. My # is in my sig!

thanks
brad

Please send any inquiries to user: sales @ evosport or email sales@evosport.com.
brad @ evosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #16
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: G350 Bluetec
What is the verdict?

While you are in there I'd replace the tensioner as well it is cheap; perhaps new belts too.

Where is the water pump in relation to that?
grane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by grane View Post
What is the verdict?

While you are in there I'd replace the tensioner as well it is cheap; perhaps new belts too.

I have been very busy myself lately and the times I've tried getting in touch with Brad coincided with his (as it appears) busy schedule. I was really hoping to hear from Evosport (Brad) and see what their take on this is. I'd like to replace the crank pulley (and maybe the tensioner) with an equal one from Evosport and maintain the performance upgrades that I bought the car with. Unfortunately, I haven't come across a shop in my area that I trust to do this and as you know the dealer refuses to install aftermarket parts. So as it stands, I may have to go OEM...

To make things interesting, my car battery died the other day. It appears I have a current drain somewhere. So I am torn right now because if I don't drive the car the battery discharges, but if I do, I run the risk of who knows what as evidence from abnormal racketing noise.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grane View Post
What is the verdict?

Little overdue. I replaced Evo crank pulley with OEM one. I took apart the Evo crank pulley and learned that the rattling was coming from one of the internal springs. The spring sits inside a slot and over time it may have shrunk causing separation between end of spring and contact point, thus the rattling. The End.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #19
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

this is good to know- is the vendor stepping forward?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:59 PM

Tags
2011, 55, amg, brad, crankshaft, evosport, evosportcl63, loud, main, making, noise, noises, pulley, pulleys, pully