CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Getting a Custom Colour for the W215 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB; 55KCL AMG, SL550 SLS AMG G500 Cabrio 280SL ML350 CLS550 ML500 E55 AMG CL500 S600 SLK32 AMG
Getting a Custom Colour for the W215 AMG

So with my car going getting the custom fender flares on the rear, I was also thinking about changing the colour of it temporarily. Currently, the car still has it's original 040 Black in beautiful condition. But I wanted a change, to experiment. Most likely it would be getting wrapped by a guy who's done great work on quite a few exotics. But what would be a unique attractive colour you don't see on a W215 CL? What it's made up of now is the car is black and carbon fiber with red accents red.
I did see back in 2005/06 a Mars (?) Red CL65 for sale on eBay Motors when it was new and selling for around $200,000, I totally fell in love with it! I do like red on some cars, and seeing that it was never offered by MB/AMG, it would also be one of the longest red cars around. It might grab too much attention, but that shouldn't bother me, with how custom it is I'm used to it.
I've done some searching and I'm pretty sure I found the exact car I saw years ago online (how many red CL65s are around lol)

Here's someone in the Middle East (of course) who got his CL55 custom painted in red as well (notice the all red interior too.....way too much IMO)

I just find it very striking. No matter what colour I do, it's not something I intend on keeping. Black is still my favorite. The cool thing about the wrap is that if you don't like it you can just peel it right off. And its significantly cheaper than a paint job.
I wouldn't go with a deep glossy finish, something matte but would definitely have to have a satin/sheen to it with texture in a crimson/blood red shade.
Along the lines of this:

All the carbon fiber I have would just pop instead of blend with black
I was just wondering what some of you guys thought would be an interesting colour to see on a CL that you can't and don't see it in.
And I hate orange, green, yellow and would never consider anything in those spectrums.
Thanks, please give me some ideas you always thought would be different
Old 11-29-2012, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Note in the background of that first CL65 pic, there's a yellow SL!

Honestly if I were you I'd repaint it an OEM Designo color of some sort. Perhaps Designo Mystic Brown or Designo Mauritius Blue. Just google those colors.

IMO 040 Black is one of the most boring colors out there and certainly doesn't do a custom car like yours justice as I think it tends to blend in.

Just my two cents though. Not a huge fan of wraps. Even the most high end wraps show imperfections and creases. It just doesn't do any high end car justice.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Banned

MB; 55KCL AMG, SL550 SLS AMG G500 Cabrio 280SL ML350 CLS550 ML500 E55 AMG CL500 S600 SLK32 AMG
Yeah, saw the SL too!

I'm not going to repaint it. To me, black is always going to be the best color on a Mercedes-Benz. Maybe getting a crazy custom black, yeah that could work but that can wait for til all bodywork is complete. Black cars are my favorite, it's everything at the same time into one.
I'm not too crazy about wraps, but again this is just experimental and for fun. Something that if it looks awesome, will only stay a few months anyway. I do trust the guy that's doing it. I just want it to be in such an unexpecting colour for the CL but that still matches the theme.
I really don't like the brown lol It's cool, very modern, but not something I would enjoy. The blue is ok, but isn't really an aggressive color, kind of too friendly
I do like the Designo Mystic White, but W215s came in white.
There is that one rare purpley color, I think Almadine?, I always thought was awesome

Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Note in the background of that first CL65 pic, there's a yellow SL!

Honestly if I were you I'd repaint it an OEM Designo color of some sort. Perhaps Designo Mystic Brown or Designo Mauritius Blue. Just google those colors.

IMO 040 Black is one of the most boring colors out there and certainly doesn't do a custom car like yours justice as I think it tends to blend in.

Just my two cents though. Not a huge fan of wraps. Even the most high end wraps show imperfections and creases. It just doesn't do any high end car justice.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CL55
You should plasti-dip your car, they don't have that much crazy colors but like you said you didn't wanna do anything major. Ive been watching videos on it and Ive been thinking about doing matte white. The thing is, they can't sell gallons of it to California... You should look it up on you tube or dipyourcar.com
Old 11-30-2012, 01:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JPhamily
You should plasti-dip your car, they don't have that much crazy colors but like you said you didn't wanna do anything major. Ive been watching videos on it and Ive been thinking about doing matte white. The thing is, they can't sell gallons of it to California... You should look it up on you tube or dipyourcar.com
I have seen the videos with the guy Fonzie. I don't know, as cool as it seems, it just seems a little cheaper than the wrap. Just don't know how a red would look like since I have a certain shade in mind
Old 11-30-2012, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
A neighbor used to have an Almandine Black CL500 and it's a very nice color under the sun. But IMO I wouldn't repaint it something that the car was available in. But doesn't look like you're going the paint route anyways.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
996tt
First step would be to get your parents permission. As it will be their money and their car you're painting.

If you get the said permission and your parents consider it's worth it to repaint a $20k car, go with Almadine, that color looks shmick on the CL
Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
550HP+ ///AMG CL55 Kompressor, Ducati 916bp, Yamaha R1 WSBK replica
Originally Posted by iAMGod
First step would be to get your parents permission. As it will be their money and their car you're painting.

If you get the said permission and your parents consider it's worth it to repaint a $20k car, go with Almadine, that color looks shmick on the CL
HAHA!

I agree, Almadine is pretty cool lookin'.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Banned

Your reading skills are abysmal. Because if you could you would read that it's not getting painted. You see my name and just need to post, like a leech. But if I was to paint it, I could paint it the colour that sums you up; green. With all of that envy you have towards me. But you'd be a slimy vomit shade of green.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:54 PM

996tt
Originally Posted by zneB-sedecreM
But if I was to paint it, I could paint it the colour that sums you up; green. With all of that envy you have towards me. But you'd be a slimy vomit shade of green.
Oh Aldin why so hostile, obviously I am jealous of your parents $20k car but that isn't the point. I just hope you get their permission first before you go changing the color of their car, so you don't get grounded.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Oh Aldin why so hostile, obviously I am jealous of your parents $20k car but that isn't the point. I just hope you get their permission first before you go changing the color of their car, so you don't get grounded.
snicker...snicker....snicker
Does this cat have no friends?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:29 PM

996tt
Originally Posted by moosejaw
snicker...snicker....snicker
Does this cat have no friends?
I guess not.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL55 AMG