CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Losing power to driver door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL55, SL500, E350
Losing power to driver door

Hi all

It started with the outside door lock when I could unlock the door with pressing the button on the door handle but couldn't lock it. Then the automatic soft closing assist stopped working. Then, the window would not completely close up (about the 1/4 inch) when closing the door.

I thought I could live with that!

Then I started losing power to the window occasionally that I have to open and close the door a few times before I get the power back. Fast forwarding ... I am going to inspect that door hinge wiring area but I wonder if that isn't the culprit, does anyone know what else could cause the aforementioned symptoms and how to open the door panel if needed to? Thanks much in advance!

SL
Old 09-13-2016, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Wiring harness to the door failure is very common and can/will cause all of these problems. Just fix what you find broken there and you will be good until another wire in the loom breaks.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55
Your wiring in the hinge area is broken and looks like mine. Pll the panel off and the wiring out of the door and fix accordingly. Just did mine this last weekend and I was surprised by the amount of broken wires in there. There is a good YouTube video on removing the door panel but the cliff note version is there is a screw in the vent by the mirror, one behind the SRS cover, the seat adj assembly removes by a lever that gets pulled forward, for screws for the bright trim, then there is a hook in the middle of the panel that is unclipped by pushing the panel in where the grab handle is and pulling upwards.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL55, SL500, E350
Thanks all!

I slit it open and sure enough there were 4 broken wires. I didn't have enough time to remove the door panel so I just jerry rigged it with the door attached lol. The whole bunch of electric tapes and the door was working again, well, at least for now.