CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

reupholstering the seating surface and heated seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reupholstering the seating surface and heated seats

This is what I have been thinking about doing:

I have a charcoal interior on a clk430 (with birds eye trim)
I want to replace the seating surfaces of the front seats to a lighter beige or stone color. I mean only the part that your back and behind touches, thus giving it a two tone look. I have heated seats ( and use it quite often). Is there special attention as to the type of leather i should use for the reupholstery. I was thinking aftermarket nappa type leather, but should i try to get oem leather instead? Is the heated seat system made specifically for the type of leather in the car. Should i make sure the leather is perforated?

Also, opinion on the two-tone look is welcomed? I like darker brown leather (like the one in the designo mocha black edition) but I am not sure if it will go with a silver exterior, I was leaning towards a beige/stone color.

Also, I was thinking about changing out the wood trim to a lighter color like the ones the new CLS launch editions have or maybe chestnut.
Anyone know where I can get complete wood trim kits?
Old 05-02-2005, 02:25 PM

2001 CLK320
Originally Posted by superflysocal

I want to replace the seating surfaces of the front seats to a lighter beige or stone color. I mean only the part that your back and behind touches, thus giving it a two tone look. I have heated seats ( and use it quite often). Is there special attention as to the type of leather i should use for the reupholstery. I was thinking aftermarket nappa type leather, but should i try to get oem leather instead? Is the heated seat system made specifically for the type of leather in the car. Should i make sure the leather is perforated?

Also, opinion on the two-tone look is welcomed? I like darker brown leather (like the one in the designo mocha black edition) but I am not sure if it will go with a silver exterior, I was leaning towards a beige/stone color.

Also, I was thinking about changing out the wood trim to a lighter color like the ones the new CLS launch editions have or maybe chestnut.
For the W208

The CLK55 had (contrasting) two tone interiors of nappa leather (I believe the heated seats were non-perf nappa leather. For the Brilliant Silver body color of

Charcoal / Silver
Charcoal / Blue

The CLK320 interior wood trim was the dark brown Burl Walnut. The V8's had the black Birdseye Maple (which you already have)

Other (CLK430) two tone interiors with Silver exterior

Dark Ash / Light Ash

If want a "stock" look color scheme, you could do the lighter colors in Ash color or for an even lighter color, Oyster was the lightest color (Ash has a more bluish color).

The door panel inserts were also done in the lighter contrasting color as well.

Another detail is the seat stitching is in contrasting color - the dark leather gets the lighter thread and the light leather color gets the dark thread stitching...
Old 05-02-2005, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
yea i wanna do the same thing, custom two tone interior. i think lowryder on the boards did his clk320 with silver or grey in the middles as well. do a search for his name, im sure he posted the pics somewhere on here
Old 05-02-2005, 03:39 PM

thanks for the input, guys. What about my original question? Does the type of leather matter for the heated seats?
Old 05-02-2005, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
i dont think so. like hal said the nappa leather is non perforated with heated seats and our stock heated leather seats are perforated
Old 05-02-2005, 05:14 PM

CLK 320
this may help too

Here's a copy out of the clk glossy. the oyster looks a little bit darker than the 320/430 light ash, but not quite darker than the dark ash (only 430).

Edit: I'm having technical issue, should be up in a few...
Attached Thumbnails reupholstering the seating surface and heated seats-color_trim.jpg  

Last edited by dennism13; 05-02-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:42 PM

CLK55 and Yukon Denali
Originally Posted by superflysocal

Thats interesting that you like the brown as well. It would look great with your silver if you did the entire seats and maybe inserts leaving the doors black with brown inserts and the carpet in black as well. Later this year, I am planning a radical change for my 55.

I would like to paint it the cashmere grey designo- add full Lorinser DTM minus the fenders- mesh flat black- redo the interior in brown leather as mentioned above- and the alcantra headliner. I was going to do it in stages as the cost will be high but figured I might as well do it all at once and hold off a couple more months...
Old 12-04-2014, 02:24 AM

ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
Color Schemes - CLK

dennism13 - any way you can send me or re-post, in a larger file, that color scheme for the CLK? Trying to magnify the current one...it looses clarity. Trying to tell the difference between ASH/Dark ASH and Osyter.

Seems Osyter is almost a little tan or beige?
Old 12-04-2014, 10:48 AM

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
'01 CLK 430 cab, '04 SL500
I would also love to see a bigger picture as well!!

I'm also going to be reupholstering my seats but I also can't tell if it's oyster or ash. My vin decode from the online EPC shows 218A - Leather Grey. My data card on the car does not show this code, wonder whats up with that.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:13 AM

ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
ash and oyster

If your code comes up as leather grey, I'll bet it is the ash you might have. From what I can tell and what I'm hearing....oyster is more a tan/somewhat creamy color.

If your upper dash is dark grey....you should likely have a lighter grey on the more bottom components of the dash and panels. This would likely mean you have ash. If you have a more khaki upper dash....you likely might have oyster.

Try opening the pic attached in the other reply using Google chrome, then save as PDF. It worked much better that way. You should be able to make out the color better. Le let me know.

Originally Posted by marko69

I'm also going to be reupholstering my seats but I also can't tell if it's oyster or ash. My vin decode from the online EPC shows 218A - Leather Grey. My data card on the car does not show this code, wonder whats up with that.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:59 AM

I've tried saving it in IE and Chrome and it only lets me save it as a jpeg and the quality is about the same.
Don't mean to hijack Superfly's thread, but I suspect we have the same interior.
I've actually been researching this since I bought the car a few months ago and found two other sources for the interior color.
Marcus's page here http://www.fitzhughmedia.com/MBF/colorcodes-mbz.html
and another page here http://www.furnitureclinic.com/Merce...olor_Chart.php
Marcus's page shows Lt Ash with a code of 467.
The other page shows 218A but no color name.
I do suspect I have ASH but it would be nice to see somewhere that shows 218A = ASH or a code from my data card that translates to "ASH". It's not a big deal, I'll just have the place send me a sample of the leather when I'm ready to do this.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
Post a picture of your interior, especially a door panel and I'll tell you if it's oyster or grey as I had oyster and had to order touch-up dye before and it matched up perfectly when I ordered oyster. It's interesting to note that the dash is dark oyster and the seats are light oyster.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:18 PM

Here is my interior.

reupholstering the seating surface and heated seats-mercinterior1_zps43c8637e.jpg
reupholstering the seating surface and heated seats-mercinterior2_zps5eb5ddef.jpg
reupholstering the seating surface and heated seats-mercinterior3_zps60e6ba79.jpg
Old 12-05-2014, 02:22 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
That's Oyster.

Here is my interior.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:25 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Nice steering wheel by the way!
Old 12-05-2014, 03:35 PM

Ok, sounds good, thanks.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:06 AM

ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
Color Schemes - CLK

Don't want to confuse...but not sure that is Oyster. Looks exactly the same as my interior and mine is Light Ash seats, overall, Ash interior. I was recently buying new floor mats and called a bunch of dealers...gave them VIN for better certaintly...all said ASH.

I'm attaching the PDF here, I'll also try and send you.

Oyster is more of a creamy color...your seats don't look creamy to me, but it could be the photos. I mean, overall, those two colors are not too different...really.

But Ash or light ash is plain old grey....to me.

Best bet for you...call your dealer..give the VIN.

I might add..the seams that are separating in your seats..you can easily have a repholster fix that...I did mine..came out nearly 100% perfect for 100 bucks. And you can also re-dye your seats. Just a thought because your leather doesn't seem that bad.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CLK Trim Options.pdf (412.8 KB, 223 views)
Old 12-08-2014, 01:01 AM

Thanks for the pdf John, sure looks like ASH to me as well.
I reupholster Porsche seats as sort of a working hobby, so I was going to take a shot at these. I would try to repair them but they are hard as rocks so I really need to recover them. I might also need to do something with the bottom foam pads. I was going to just sew the rips back up temporarily today to get the wife off my back, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the headrest guides to get the covers off.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:36 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
I don't have a picture of my seats in my last 430, but if the dash and console look like this, then you have the dark/light oyster combo.... I know because I had to do touch-up dye and it was a perfect match.
reupholstering the seating surface and heated seats-9c29fb7d-7138-4e27-a8c7-283fb4071d25-962-0000013f3a2f4531_zps2a53638b.jpg
Attached Thumbnails reupholstering the seating surface and heated seats-9c29fb7d-7138-4e27-a8c7-283fb4071d25-962-0000013f3a2f4531_zps2a53638b.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 07:06 AM

Thanks for the pic Scott. That looks like it's leaning more toward beige, mine is more like grey.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:17 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
No problem... Looking at your picture again I agree.... It's more the grey / ash color. Good luck and post pics when you're done!
Old 12-20-2014, 02:54 PM

2003 clk320 cabrio
use this website http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes its in russian but when it decodes your vin info its in english... just put your vin in the box at the middle of the page just below where it says "check the vin mercedes benz" then click the box that says "check/check" it will have the complete list of options for your car
Old 12-20-2014, 05:23 PM

There are a few vin checkers that I have found and unfortunately they show "Grey" and not ash or oyster.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:49 PM

Scott, I think you may have been right. I fixed a panel in the back seat with Ash Grey. It seems a little too blueish. When the other side falls off, I'll try Oster.

reupholstering the seating surface and heated seats-merc1_zps3gqga0yk.jpg
reupholstering the seating surface and heated seats-merc2_zpsqweumqix.jpg
reupholstering the seating surface and heated seats-merc3_zpsvj1gmb6v.jpg
reupholstering the seating surface and heated seats-merc4_zpssdlubuko.jpg
Old 04-02-2016, 11:52 AM

Well it's been awhile now and my repair job failed. Now the passenger and driver side panels have come off. I figure the black goo and foam mixture underneath isn't good to glue over. I need to remove the black goo. As I was scrapping it off, I noticed the underlying plastic panel has the same grain and color as the original leather panel. So I just scrapped the goo off and cleaned it with acetone. It looks just like the original panel now.
If this happens to you, fix it as soon as possible or you'll get that black goo all over the place back there.

The following users liked this post:
GatorMB (04-02-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: reupholstering the seating surface and heated seats