CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Mercedes CLK 320 2002 Window wont wind up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLK320 2002
Mercedes CLK 320 2002 Window wont wind up

Hi There,
The battery on my CLK 320 recently went dead after a period of about two weeks of idleness.
I charged the battery and placed it in the vehicle at which point I managed to get the vehicle going again, however....... every time i turn off the engine and get out the car the window winds down about two inches on the drivers side at which point i am unable to get it to stay up again. I can get the window to go up and down no problem but it just returns to the open position again once i have wound it up to the top again, this is VERY INFURIATING!!!
The only time the window will do up and stay up is when i am sat in the car and the engine is running.
If i then turn the engine off and get out of the car the same problem arrises, the window will go down about two inches and not matter what i do will always return to the postion once i try to wind it all the way to the top.
Can someone please help with this issue i would greatly appreciate it???
Old 01-02-2012, 09:16 PM

02 CLK430
Have you re-normalized the windows? Press and hold the button to roll window up, and continue to hold the button after it has gone all the way up for about 5sec. If the window is not normalized the window dip feature is dipping but does not know the distance on where to make the window go up.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
welcome Austos...You will find so much info in this forum. Most questions have been asked and answered many times. Always do a search and you will usually find your answer...saying that...here is a good link from a search I did for you.
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...tery-died.html
Old 01-05-2012, 03:28 AM

CLK 320
Welcome to the forum, like Ruintion, in short lol, just hold down the window switch for a little bit and that will fix your problem. I have had that problem as well so I know how much it stinks. But again welcome lol
Old 01-06-2012, 11:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Reset Windows Regular Up/Down:

Method #1:
If windows won’t go up after loss of electrical power. Make certain trunk and all doors are closed. Stand outside by driver’s window. Use key remote to lock car. All windows will go up.

Method #2:
Press power window switch to resistance point until the window is completely closed and hold for additional 2 seconds. Repeat procedure for each window.

Reset Windows Express Feature:

Bring down both windows at the same time by holding the switches just before the click that brings them down automatically. Once both windows are all the way down make both switches click by pressing them all the way down for 10 seconds.. This lets the ECU learn that this is the end of the window track and it records it in memory. Do the same closing the windows by holding both switches and making them click once the windows are all the way up.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:56 PM

clk 230
The thank you was to Ruiination and the windows not closing
Thank you Thank you that worked for me and probably very likely stop my car getting broken into Regards Dave Blundell

Last edited by davidnblundell; 11-19-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: extra content added
Old 01-21-2015, 05:36 AM

240 clk convertible
Thanks for your forum help, problem sorted
Old 10-17-2015, 01:56 PM

320clk 2001
normalizing window

Originally Posted by Ruination Fan
Have you re-normalized the windows? Press and hold the button to roll window up, and continue to hold the button after it has gone all the way up for about 5sec. If the window is not normalized the window dip feature is dipping but does not know the distance on where to make the window go up.
window does not stay up for me to normalize it ,i tried disconnecting battery but still the same,as soon as reaches up comes back down about 5 inches rear headsets not moving when i try to put roof down, all happened after car not being used for a month what else can i do it sending me crazy
Old 01-20-2018, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 E55, 00 S500, 01 CLK55, 01 E320, 04 E320
I have the same issue with my driver window. Problem is I cant make window stay up to make it click. It goes down as soon as it reaches top and I have no way to hold it up, and problem is after it goes down anytime I press UP it goes down till it reaches bottom.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 133 Likes on 98 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
You need to reset the car in the correct procedure, heres my guide on difference process, just follow the fisrt one for battery and your windows will work agian.A1EK’s Reset procedures for CLK 208:Resetting car after battery fail:

Preparation Steps:
1. Make sure your steering wheel is straight.
2. Make sure your windows are all the way up
3. Make sure your sun roof is completely closed (if you have one)
4. Make sure your parking brake is released.
6. Turn off your stereo and make sure you have your stereo's Anti-theft code.
7. Turn off your heat/AC blower
8. Turn off your lights
9. Make sure your doors are UNLOCKED.

Now, disconnect battery 30 secs and then reconnect.
Get in car close the door and turn the key to position 2 (Just before you start the engine but do not start it)

1. Resetting your windows: Bring down both windows at the same time by holding the switches just before the click that brings them down automatically. Once both windows are all the way down make both switches click by pressing them all the way down and hold them for 3 secs (This lets the ECU learn that that is the end of the window track and it records it in memory). Do the same for closing the windows by holding both switches and making them click once the windows are all the way up.

2. Turn on your blower and make both sides go to 72 deg (if you have this typr of heater control) by pressing both up and down buttons at the same time. This will calibrate the ECU
3. Turn on your stereo and enter you stereo code.
4. Pull the sun roof all the way back and all the way forward then up and then done.

6. Turn all you lights on and off, including your fog lights.

7. Turn the key back to position 0.

8. Turn on your engine. You will get 2 malfunctions, your ABS and ESP lights will be on and must be calibrated.

9. Calibrate your ABS and ESP systems by turning the steering wheel all the way to your RIGHT and then all the way to your LEFT, then bring it back to the middle. Notice the two yellow lights disappear from you dashboard.

10. Let your car run in idle for about 5 minutes and then take it for a spin. Remember your ECU is still getting all the readings from all the sensors on your car so drive slowly first then faster... and so on.. you are basically teaching your ECU how to handle your car.

Throttle
Reset

1. Get in and shut the door
2. Turn key to position 2 (just before you start the engine).
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor... past the kick down point...
4. Hold the pedal there for 15 seconds
5. After 15 seconds while foot still planted, turn the key off but do not remove it.
6. Release gas pedal and wait 3 mins. Do nothing, you should here a click near key at 3 mins.
7. After the 3 minutes start the car and drive off normally... you should notice a difference in the shift pattern and smoothness.

Service
Reset
Turn the car on to the 2nd key position, all the way ON, but do not start it.

- Then scroll through and find the A/B Service notification. Hold the "R" or
reset button on the dash. After a few seconds a message will display on screen asking you if you would like to reset the service notification. Once this happens let off of the "R" button.

- Press and hold the "R" button one more time until the
reset is complete.

Valve
Reset:
(move valve with finger off 90degrees, turn key to 2nd position, let valve close and open, wait for "click", turn off key, turn back on for 45 secs during which time the valve will close and open again, key off (Not been able to make this work)Trunk Release:Remove drivers fuse panel, pull 4 fuses on left 7.5A and 5A, wait few secs and replace then try door unlock switch to see if it works, this will tell you if alarm is deactivated. If not try other fuses.Passenger Mirror auto-dip reset:1- Turn key to position 2
2- Select reverse, adjust mirror down so you can see kerb for reversing etc.
3- Press Green store button on drivers door control next to the seat adjustment for a couple of seconds, then within 3 secs press the mirror control again just once in any direction, mirror is now stored. Return to Gear shift to Park.
4- Wait 17 secs mirror will return to normal position.
5- Select reverse and test to make sure it dips ! DONE.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:04 AM

Thats a problem, my window doesn't stay in closed position so I can make it click. No matter what I do, window reaches up position and then it goes down about 2 inch, after that every pressing UP will lower window DOWN 2 inch and so on till it reaches bottom.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by noud
Thats a problem, my window doesn't stay in closed position so I can make it click. No matter what I do, window reaches up position and then it goes down about 2 inch, after that every pressing UP will lower window DOWN 2 inch and so on till it reaches bottom.
Here's a recently posted thread that had the same issue you're experiencing.

Although the solution was just a 'door closed' switch not properly actuating, the thread has lots of window operation / troubleshooting details.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-down-2-a.html

Last edited by Serndipity; 01-26-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 133 Likes on 98 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by noud
You need to reset the car... take the battery lead off for 1min, re-connect and dont touch windows or anything. Then follow my procedure.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by A1EK
You need to reset the car... take the battery lead off for 1min, re-connect and dont touch windows or anything. Then follow my procedure.
I believe that in post #13, noud said that was done and didn't solve the issue.

The window re-synchronization procedure, only restores erased memory settings, due to either a low voltage condition or an interruption of voltage supply and will not work, when there is a malfunctioning component, within the window system.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:55 AM

It worked! Issue was with the door close pin not going it all the way. How come this information is not widely known?

@Serndipity Thank You, Sir for guiding to the right place

@A1EK Reset procedure did not help me
Old 05-04-2018, 02:35 PM

2000 Mercedes Benz clk320 convertible
I’ve done this. My driver window went all the way down now will not go up. Goes up as

Driver window all the way down and will only go up a few inches. When I open the door it slightly lowered as if it was all the way up. Then when I close door it goes up slightly. Somehow the computer thinks it’s all the way up. I’ve done the relearn multiple times but it will never go all the way up. Not once has it gone up. I’m stressing bad. What do I do ???????

You need to reset the car in the correct procedure, heres my guide on difference process, just follow the fisrt one for battery and your windows will work agian.A1EK’s Reset procedures for CLK 208:Resetting car after battery fail:

Preparation Steps:
8. Turn off your lights

Get in car close the door and turn the key to position 2 (Just before you start the engine but do not start it)

1. Resetting your windows: Bring down both windows at the same time by holding the switches just before the click that brings them down automatically. Once both windows are all the way down make both switches click by pressing them all the way down and hold them for 3 secs (This lets the ECU learn that that is the end of the window track and it records it in memory). Do the same for closing the windows by holding both switches and making them click once the windows are all the way up.

2. Turn on your blower and make both sides go to 72 deg (if you have this typr of heater control) by pressing both up and down buttons at the same time. This will calibrate the ECU
4. Pull the sun roof all the way back and all the way forward then up and then done.

8. Turn on your engine. You will get 2 malfunctions, your ABS and ESP lights will be on and must be calibrated.

9. Calibrate your ABS and ESP systems by turning the steering wheel all the way to your RIGHT and then all the way to your LEFT, then bring it back to the middle. Notice the two yellow lights disappear from you dashboard.

10. Let your car run in idle for about 5 minutes and then take it for a spin. Remember your ECU is still getting all the readings from all the sensors on your car so drive slowly first then faster... and so on.. you are basically teaching your ECU how to handle your car.

Throttle
Reset

5. After 15 seconds while foot still planted, turn the key off but do not remove it.
6. Release gas pedal and wait 3 mins. Do nothing, you should here a click near key at 3 mins.
7. After the 3 minutes start the car and drive off normally... you should notice a difference in the shift pattern and smoothness.

Service
Reset

reset button on the dash. After a few seconds a message will display on screen asking you if you would like to reset the service notification. Once this happens let off of the "R" button.

reset is complete.

Valve
Reset:
(move valve with finger off 90degrees, turn key to 2nd position, let valve close and open, wait for "click", turn off key, turn back on for 45 secs during which time the valve will close and open again, key off (Not been able to make this work)Trunk Release:Remove drivers fuse panel, pull 4 fuses on left 7.5A and 5A, wait few secs and replace then try door unlock switch to see if it works, this will tell you if alarm is deactivated. If not try other fuses.Passenger Mirror auto-dip reset:1- Turn key to position 2
3- Press Green store button on drivers door control next to the seat adjustment for a couple of seconds, then within 3 secs press the mirror control again just once in any direction, mirror is now stored. Return to Gear shift to Park.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pup23
Driver window all the way down and will only go up a few inches. When I open the door it slightly lowered as if it was all the way up. Then when I close door it goes up slightly. Somehow the computer thinks it’s all the way up. I’ve done the relearn multiple times but it will never go all the way up. Not once has it gone up. I’m stressing bad. What do I do ???????

To be honest, I did not understand what is your exact problem. Could you please be more specific?
Old 05-04-2018, 03:23 PM

Window seems to be memory at all the way down. The window is about 2 inches up. Then open door slightly goes down close door goes slightly back up as if it was all the way up. It thinks the window is all the way up. When it’s almost completely down. Will not go all the way like it’s supposed to when button is pressed
Old 05-04-2018, 03:36 PM

Window seems to be memory at all the way down. The window is about 2 inches up. Then open door slightly goes down close door goes slightly back up as if it was all the way up. It thinks the window is all the way up. When it’s almost completely down. Will not go all the way like it’s supposed to when button is pressed
the way car knows where is your window, it counts how many times window motor turns. It knows exactly how many revolutions needed for window to go up to fully close and down to fully open. My guess is that you window motor skipped a lot if window is still down but car things its up. Open the door panel and take a look inside. Something mechanical is broken, either teethes,plastic clips, or cable.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:50 PM

I work at mechanic shop we just never work on euro vehicles. My lead tech opened door panel and idk how but window is up now. I haven’t had a chance to ask him what he did. I’ll check and post
Old 05-04-2018, 05:02 PM

I work at mechanic shop we just never work on euro vehicles. My lead tech opened door panel and idk how but window is up now. I haven’t had a chance to ask him what he did. I’ll check and post
good!
Dont forget to post your fix.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:04 PM

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320

Preparation Steps:
8. Turn off your lights

Throttle
Reset

Service
Reset

reset is complete.

Valve
Reset:

This ^^^^ is Gold!

Thank you!
Old 03-26-2021, 07:36 PM

00 MB clk w208 230 kompressor convertible
Tnx..
ready to do that tomorrow first thing