CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 320 Convertible with issues

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320 Convertible 1999
CLK 320 Convertible with issues HELP

Hello, I am a new member of this community and a new owner of 1999 CLK 320 Convertible (US).
I have couple of issues, would be thankful for your help.
I looked through the forums but could not find answers to these:
(I looked through all fuses and they are good)

1: side mirrors do not work, either of them. Looked at the fuses, they seem to be fine. Where shall I start searching from?

2: Driver side mirror and central rear view mirrors are in dimmed modes, any cure for that?

3: The doors and trunk lock and unlock fine with remote, but when I lock the vehicle, turn signals do not flash (to indicate me that the car is locked). Also, the alarm does not seem to be switching on.
The Panic button works fine though.
Turn signals flash when I unlock the door though.

4: Rear windows are not working with respective buttons, they only work with convertible switch, both for opening and closing. Any suggestions?

5. The central locking button on the main console does not work, although remote locks/unlocks both doors.

6: How would I setup the locking mode in a way, that it automatically locks both doors when car starts moving?

7: The windows are not opening/closing when I hold the lock/unlock button and aim the key to the IR receiver.

I know these are many questions and a simple answer would be to take the car to a dealer, I just don't want to try to do it myself if there are any cures for these issues.

Thanks for your help in advance

Last edited by shavkaca; 05-31-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:39 PM

CLK 320 Convertible 1999
Just noticed, that interior lights do not go out when I lock the car. I have to manualy switch them off and then lock the car.
Can this be the reason for Alarm not arming and turn signals not flashing while I lock the car?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:36 AM

1973 450sl,1999 clk320 cabrio
sounds like the switches are not working or the window regulators aint working have you reset the windows ? also check out the fuses there is four fuse boards on the car also check the relays hope this helps from gary 450sl
Old 06-03-2012, 02:16 PM

ML 2.7 2004
The doors already should lock as soon as you reach 10 mph, I stand to be corrected but I think this is standard on all CLKs so I think you have a fault there to.
Good luck
Jim
Old 06-03-2012, 06:54 PM

CLK 320 Convertible 1999
Thanks for replies,
Somehow the alarm started to work and whenever I lock the car, turn signals flash.
I did the reset but nothing changed
any other suggestions?
Thanks
Old 06-07-2012, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by shavkaca
Thanks for replies,
Somehow the alarm started to work and whenever I lock the car, turn signals flash.
I did the reset but nothing changed
any other suggestions?
Thanks
I would be willing to bet that one of your door switches are not functioning.

I had a lot of your symptoms and cleared most of them up with one $6.00 door switch. Here's a quick test for you.

With the key in the ignition (not turned) and all doors closed...does the display still chime and tell you to remove the key?

If so it is indeed a faulty door switch. They are cheap. Don't even guess. Just replace them both.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:53 AM

2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by nicgentile
I would be willing to bet that one of your door switches are not functioning.

I had a lot of your symptoms and cleared most of them up with one $6.00 door switch. Here's a quick test for you.

With the key in the ignition (not turned) and all doors closed...does the display still chime and tell you to remove the key?

If so it is indeed a faulty door switch. They are cheap. Don't even guess. Just replace them both.
And your lights not blinking when you lock. And your interior light staying on when you exit and lock.

Had all those issues myself. Door switches

They may not even need to be replaced. A connector may have just come off. From 10+years of opening and closing the door. Pry the drivers side out with a flat blade and inspect.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 PM

CLK 320 Convertible 1999
Doors work :) everything else same :(

Doors started to work, interior lights as well.
Thanks for help!

now having same other problems with:
* Mirrors not working
* trunk button from central console not working
* rear windows still don't go up or down
* front windows don't go automatically up if I press them all the way up, they do come down though
* both mirrors (middle and drivers side) are still in shaded mode
Old 06-07-2012, 08:16 PM

2000 CLK 430
Doors started to work, interior lights as well.
Thanks for help!

now having same other problems with:
* Mirrors not working
* trunk button from central console not working
* rear windows still don't go up or down
* front windows don't go automatically up if I press them all the way up, they do come down though
* both mirrors (middle and drivers side) are still in shaded mode
Glad it helped at least. my last two replies were a little scattered as it was late and I was in bed on my ipad. Got excited to help though.

Its sounds like the mirror switches/rear windows/trunk button assembly may be shorted out. This is a "common" issue if someone ever spilled a drink on that area. Needless to say it is a bit pricey from the dealer. I personally have not had to replace it, but I have seen some of the guys on here talk about it. Try a quick search within this forum.

Have you tried a "reset" on the front windows? Again a search will give you an exact procedure, but it is something like:

1)put you drivers side window all the way down and continue to hold the down button for 5-10 secs after it is all the way down.
2)then put it up (not auto) and continue to hold the up button for 5-10 seconds after it is up
3) repeat 1 and 2 for passanger side.
....worth a try at least.

search around, give it a try and report back!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 PM

CLK 320 Convertible 1999
Thanks Nicgentile.
Will try tomorrow and let you know.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 PM

'99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
Yes try resetting the windows as the last poster suggested, do a search on the forums here for the procedure.

Front windows don't have auto-up feature, only auto-down, so no malfunction there.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 AM

CLK 320 Convertible 1999
Did a reset, still the same

I took the central console apart, and it seems as on the right rear connector nothing is connected.
I was looking for a cable, but couldn't find any. So maybe that's how it should be, or that might be connectors for rear windows, trunk and mirrors?

I will try to taake a picture during the week to show you what I mean.

Also, how would I test an alarm? And how does it fuction when convertible top is open?
Thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 09:42 PM

CLK 320 Convertible 1999
One question,
The water temperature on my car is between 80 and 120 (on the line) that's in Fahrenheits.
When I go on the highway it usually comes down to 80.
Can it be thermostat, temperatue sensor or both?
is there a DIY for these?
Thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 10:01 PM

2000 CLK 430
Umm. If we are talking about the same thing. The analog temp gauge left cluster. Then it's Celsius/centigrade. Not F.

With that said mine swings between 80 and 90. Depending on outside temp and stop and go vs. highway.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450

Also, how would I test an alarm? And how does it fuction when convertible top is open?
Thanks
With the alarm armed and windows down, reach in and open the glove box. Alarm should sound
Old 06-23-2012, 04:38 PM

CLK 320 Convertible 1999
nicgentile thanks for info, I was wrong, it's Celsius, not Fahrenheit, I just thought it would be Fahrenheit, because I am in US (though I am used to C).
Anyways, mine also kind of jumps from 80-100 (just below 100, I would say 95). Also depending on outside temperature and highway / city driving.
I think there should be something wrong with either Thermostat and/or temperature sensor, as other cars I had, were always stable on 90C.
So, just wondering...

bobbyjo9, I will try that and report

Thanks
Old 06-23-2012, 05:12 PM

2000 CLK 430
nicgentile thanks for info, I was wrong, it's Celsius, not Fahrenheit, I just thought it would be Fahrenheit, because I am in US (though I am used to C).
Anyways, mine also kind of jumps from 80-100 (just below 100, I would say 95). Also depending on outside temperature and highway / city driving.
I think there should be something wrong with either Thermostat and/or temperature sensor, as other cars I had, were always stable on 90C.
So, just wondering...

bobbyjo9, I will try that and report

Thanks
Mine fluctuates as I stated seems pretty normal to me, but I don't know too much. Maybe get a coolant flush? I am due for one, just havent had the time.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:18 PM

CLK 320 Convertible 1999
Not sure if that's going to help, but it's always good to flush coolant.
Let me know if that helps
Old 09-19-2014, 08:34 PM

CLK 320 Convertible
Hello, I am new to this.... I need some help, I have a CLK320, 1999 and the windows won't express roll down; when using the express roll up button. I have tried everything, the express roll down works but not the express roll up.... any suggestions?
Old 03-05-2015, 05:39 AM

2000 CLK 320 BLACKOUT
help and questions

Has anyone found the issue regarding the blinker not working or window not moving through switch

My passenger side doesn't move up or down with switch. But works with key. ( And mirror doesnt work. Driver side is fine window and mirror) trunk switch doesn't work I'm not sure if the hydraulic pump has anything to do with it
Any help would be appreciated

In regards to window doesn't express up. I worked on a 98 clk 320 has auto up and down I'm not sure yours goes up and then down or not up at all. I would start at the switch check for foreign objects that prevents it from making contact. Clean and check if not Check the wires were it passes from the door to dash. If still nothing it'll b time to check canbus. hope you have checked your car battery first
Old 03-05-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Originally Posted by Mercee
Yes try resetting the windows as the last poster suggested, do a search on the forums here for the procedure.

Front windows don't have auto-up feature, only auto-down, so no malfunction there.
Can someone confirm this? Because all 4 of my windows will auto-up and auto-down with one press of their respective buttons. Perhaps the prior owner did some diddling? I like the one touch up & down, but am curious if that's not per design? Considering that all 4 windows will auto-up and auto-down with the Conv. Top button, it stands to reason that they would not have disabled that feature when using the individual buttons?

Last edited by Aussiesuede; 03-05-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:08 AM

2000 CLK 320 BLACKOUT
I wanted to state that I worked on a 1998 320 hardtop express up and down I worked on a 2000 430 convertible all 4 windows express up and down

the owner of the1998 320 mentioned that his car did not have express but it did they had it up and down his jaw dropped