CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

It has begun

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
It has begun

Hey everyone, I purchased the last piece needed for the 320 to 55 transplant yesterday and the process has started. I will keep everyone posted as the process moves forward.

so far I have done all the retro fitting and re-wiring for the paddle shifters and the necessary modifications to the trans and the floor shifter.

fonal project results will be a full 55 AMG conversion but with lower ratio Diff gearing for much better off the line take off with paddle speed shifters and tru dual tank dual exhaust system.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by VIPclk320
Hey everyone, I purchased the last piece needed for the 320 to 55 transplant yesterday and the process has started. I will keep everyone posted as the process moves forward.

so far I have done all the retro fitting and re-wiring for the paddle shifters and the necessary modifications to the trans and the floor shifter.

fonal project results will be a full 55 AMG conversion but with lower ratio Diff gearing for much better off the line take off with paddle speed shifters and tru dual tank dual exhaust system.

SWEET...... Ash, plz keep us posted........... don't wanna miss anything
Old 07-01-2012, 06:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
I saw the title and thought it was about the sex change operation you were telling me about, oppss my bad....lol:......hit me up foo
Old 07-01-2012, 07:24 AM

PLEASE UPDATE!!!

I'm finally ending school and coming up on a job which will allow me to finally make my car as beautiful as it can be, my ULTIMATE goal is exactly what you are doing with a 320 to a 55 swap. I have a general good idea but can REALLY use your skills as a guide/mentor for this process, please update and explain along the way. I will PM you and we should keep in touch! Thanks so much man
Old 07-01-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 187 Likes on 120 Posts
SL 400
Originally Posted by VIPclk320

I am interested in seeing the end result of the transformation 4 sure. I can imagine how nice it will look.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by Alexbenz
I saw the title and thought it was about the sex change operation you were telling me about, oppss my bad....lol:......hit me up foo
Lol, how are you gonna use the joke that I just cracked on you via text on me less than a week later foo! Haha hit me up I'll give you the details.

To say the least its not for the light hearted. It's a lot of work an specially because I'm going from a none tiptronic clk 320 to a tiptronic/ speed paddle shift 55. This is the list of parts that I had to change:

Motor, engine harness, body harness, trans, diff, motor mounts, floor shifter, radiator, ac condenser, radiator hoses, ECU/ME, TCU, ESP module, matching ignition/EIS as the ME(same car , same vin), all four cats and I upgraded the complete exhaust to larger piping. So far it hasn't been as expensive as people make it sound like, it's defiantly has been cheaper than selling and buying a 55, WAY CHEAPER! I have posted many times before about this and I kept getting the same response "sell it and buy a 55" so I got sick of getting responses like that and decided to just do it. And I have to say if you have good sources for parts the above statement of "it's cheaper to buy a 55" is absolute BS! All it requires is a couple of grand and will and imagination to do it. Now keep in mind if your going from a fcelifted 320 to a 55 is much less work and parts and if you are going from a face lifted 430 to 55 it's is almost 1/5 the parts and work.

Last edited by VIPclk320; 07-01-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:20 PM

Awesome man

Yeah I'm literally going from my current setup which is a bone stock 99 CLK-320 except for the minor details like intake, exhaust, and resonator delete with a 2.5" pipe--growl is just for the ladies lol. I'm dead serious though about this because it's about time this car gets the respect it deserves. Unfortunately, my car shop/parts/mechanic hook-ups are slim to none so I feel I have a TON of knowledge and stuff to learn, but i'm too eager. Spent the last 4 damn years getting my Neurobiology degree and I just graduated, finally can get this show running but PLEASE keep updating and if you don't mind, please take pix to help a fellow CLK-320'r out. Swapping would be my dream and by that i DON'T mean selling my car and buying one, F that I want to build mine just like you bro!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by DRfunjoo
Yeah I'm literally going from my current setup which is a bone stock 99 CLK-320 except for the minor details like intake, exhaust, and resonator delete with a 2.5" pipe--growl is just for the ladies lol. I'm dead serious though about this because it's about time this car gets the respect it deserves. Unfortunately, my car shop/parts/mechanic hook-ups are slim to none so I feel I have a TON of knowledge and stuff to learn, but i'm too eager. Spent the last 4 damn years getting my Neurobiology degree and I just graduated, finally can get this show running but PLEASE keep updating and if you don't mind, please take pix to help a fellow CLK-320'r out. Swapping would be my dream and by that i DON'T mean selling my car and buying one, F that I want to build mine just like you bro!!!
im doing exactly what you need to do mine is a 99 320 as well. so my swap can be a exact guide for yours. one good news for you is that you are in southern CA so there is a tone of salvage yards local that have all the parts that you need at deep discounts. one advice for you start looking for parts, everything is very easy to source at discount except the Cat converters which they usually dont sell used and if they do its an arm an a leg but i was lucky to find a complete setup of all four cats and the piping and flangs in fantastic condition for $400 which is an amazing deal. all the parts off of the 430s work for the 55 so you can buy many parts off of the 430, they are identical except the engine, diff & axels and trans. but the 430 trans works perfectly fine with the 55 as well as the diff and axel so basically you just need the engine, ecu and tcu out of the 55 to make sure you run 55 program and shifting points. i actually prefer the 430 Diff because it has shorter gearing which will make my 55 faster than a regular 55 off the line. i will take pictures of all the parts and post. I have a very good friend of mine thats doing the swap for me so i wont be able to take many pictures as the car will be gone for about two weeks but everything is a plug and play and bolts into place as the 320,43 and the 55 all share the exact same mounting points for all mechanical and cosmetic parts.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:53 PM

'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
NICE!

You're going to love it when it's all done!

Keep the updates coming.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by Pauljay
NICE!

You're going to love it when it's all done!

Keep the updates coming.
thanks brother, and thanks to all your help and nismo this is happening. btw you gonna love whats in the mail for you!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:30 AM

Seriously I am VERY thankful for the SoCal aspect haha! Yeah man it definitely sounds like quite a mission to get done all together, but i would really appreciate you being able to guide me in the same direction. I still don't see new cars coming out nowadays that I consider better than my CLK, but just wish it was BEAST like a 55 for sure! I hope you don't mind me bugging you about the specifics soon because like i said this car is my effin' baby and all I want to do is this swap. Still have a couple of months before I moved back down to SoCal, but mos def i'm watching your build and progress as a template for my entire mod.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Are you doing the R&R at home, in a shop, or? ?? Pulling the engine and transmission together? I'm really looking forward to the photos. If you're inviting people down for a helping hand let me know.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Are you doing the R&R at home, in a shop, or? ?? Pulling the engine and transmission together? I'm really looking forward to the photos. If you're inviting people down for a helping hand let me know.
Its going to be done at a shop by a friend of mine. but many of the final details such as speed and paddle shift is going to be done at home by myself. I will let you know if you like to join me. I will try to take many pics as well. You will probably be the first one to see the body mods as well.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:16 AM

'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet

Thanks! Looking forward to it.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
few pics of some of the parts thats being changed due to the transplant to the bigger motor, all parts are OEM and brand new so i will virtually have a new car
Radiator, vaccum hoses, floor shifter with the paddle shift retro(the white plug is for the paddle shifters, i did the wiring and retored that plug to make it sit and look like factory), 55 manifold, cats and exhaust piping, AUX fans, ECU/ME and matching EIS Ignition, TCU, ESP+BAS and much more that i havent had time to take picture yet but i will later:
Attached Thumbnails It has begun-2012-07-03-17.45.12.jpg   It has begun-2012-07-03-17.45.27.jpg   It has begun-2012-07-03-17.45.34.jpg   It has begun-2012-07-03-17.57.20.jpg   It has begun-2012-07-03-17.57.59.jpg  

Old 07-03-2012, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
more
Attached Thumbnails It has begun-2012-07-03-17.56.53.jpg   It has begun-1.jpg   It has begun-2.jpg   It has begun-3.jpg  

Last edited by VIPclk320; 07-04-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 AM

Are all of these parts specifically for a 55 or are some of them 430 parts that you used? Looks like a lot of work as well ahh I hope I can get it all settled and together!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:15 PM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
Sup Ash!

no aftermarket exhaust manifolds? Awww.

You're like my mechanic always pushing for OEM
Old 07-04-2012, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2000 CLK 320
Man I can't wait to see the final product. I was also wondering the same thing, looks like a Ghost Manifold is in order too bad you couldn't make it out to Vegas but guess I'll be seeing you over here in a few months.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Are all of these parts specifically for a 55 or are some of them 430 parts that you used? Looks like a lot of work as well ahh I hope I can get it all settled and together!
55 and 430 share a lot of parts but since I'm going from 320 to 55 I had to change many of mine specially the cooling components.
Originally Posted by GiZzO
Sup Ash!

no aftermarket exhaust manifolds? Awww.

You're like my mechanic always pushing for OEM
What's up brother how have you been? Yes for time being I'm going oem manifolds to make sure I can work out any possible bugs, having mostly oem parts rules thing out and helps me detect bugs much faster but I will be doing short tubes once everything has been running smooth for a few months along with a possible super charger.
Originally Posted by Williams707
Man I can't wait to see the final product. I was also wondering the same thing, looks like a Ghost Manifold is in order too bad you couldn't make it out to Vegas but guess I'll be seeing you over here in a few months.
Hey Will, sorry I couldn't make it to Vegas brother, it's been a busy few weeks at the office for me but I'll be in Japan in two months so I will see you there. The swap will hopefully be done before I head your way so I'll briny lots of pics and videos for you. Did you have a good time there?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2000 CLK 320
It's all good bro, see you at the airport when you arrive
Old 07-06-2012, 08:42 PM

Yeah man as much I hate to ask just take pix whenever you get a chance man I would MADDD appreciate any help like I said! I'm following this post for sure and can't wait to see the progress and how you go about building it. So if i'm right, the only
CLK 55 parts I need are the:
1.) Engine
2.) ECU
3.) TCU

And I can use CLK 430
1.) Transmission
2.) Differential
3.) Axel

Am I missing anything? Sorry for being sounding and being the newb in this post but this project is my goal for sure too and once again can't wait to see yours!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Yeah man as much I hate to ask just take pix whenever you get a chance man I would MADDD appreciate any help like I said! I'm following this post for sure and can't wait to see the progress and how you go about building it. So if i'm right, the only
CLK 55 parts I need are the:
1.) Engine
2.) ECU
3.) TCU

And I can use CLK 430
1.) Transmission
2.) Differential
3.) Axel

Am I missing anything? Sorry for being sounding and being the newb in this post but this project is my goal for sure too and once again can't wait to see yours!
you will need the matching EIS ignition as the ECU

as for the rest of the parts you can use the same axels and the drive shaft as you have right now with the 430 trans and diff because they are the exact same betweek the 430 and 320, the 55s have a thicker 4 point drive shaft as well as thicker axels. but your 320 drive shaft and axels will work fine with the 430 trans and diff. upi also need the following parts:

radiator, ac condenser, dual auxilary fans, fan relay module, the fan module wiring harness, cataletic convertors, floor shifter, floor shifter harness.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:39 AM

Thanks a ton man, where exactly are you progress wise when it comes to your build thus far, love to get a gauge of where you stand!

"radiator, ac condenser, dual auxilary fans, fan relay module, the fan module wiring harness, cataletic convertors, floor shifter, floor shifter harness."

Would I be able to use clk 430 parts for all these as well?
Old 07-07-2012, 07:59 PM

2001 CLK430, 1987 560 Sec
Those "regular parts" are no big deal but the engine? You're making it sound like 55 AMG engines are just sitting around all over the place. What's the deal there? I'm not doubting you and this sounds like fun but still, what did you have to do to find one and how much was it?

Bob

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: It has begun