CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Transmission problem? clk 430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 clk 430
Transmission problem? clk 430

About 60 days ago I had the TCU replaced because the car was shifting into neutral when I would punch the gas to pass, or not shift out of first from a stop. Very dangerous when trying to pass with on-coming traffic.
Cost for the TCU was $1312.00. A bit high from what I read here. Anyway total cost was 1800 for parts and 750 labor.
Car seemed fine for about two months but now for three days I feel some sort of hesitation or what feels like an electronic miss of sorts. Like the car is loosing power for just a mini-second. Almost feels like the car is thinking about shifting but doesn't?? The rpms stay constant and so does the speed if I'm using cruise control..
Dropped it off at the MB dealer Sat. morning. got a call monday they said what I was feeling was probably loose or worn motor mounts. I was sure that wasn't what I was feeling.. Although they have since shown me my engine lifts badly on the driver side when you press the gas in gear and hold the break down. So I guess they are worn.
However this is not what I was feeling and after driving with the mechanic he was able to feel what I was. He checked the TCU for any leakage?? He said they contain oil and sometimes will leak and short out.? When we drove it he thought the problem sort of started at 6o miles an hour and corrected if the car was shifted into 4th. I wasn't sure. His suggestion was I need a new transmission.?? He says I could just drive around in 4th gear and wait for something to break down. I'm not willing to do that. It feels too hard on the car.
I noticed after our drive that the car does this "thing" even in 4th gear or even 3rd at low speed also. It feels like it is missing.. but it's not the engine. diffenetly something to do with the shifting or transmission getting a scrambled message???? Or some electrical short??
There aren't any codes coming up to help them figure it out.
I read here that something needs to be flashed or re-programmed to the existing "help me" system in order for the car to shift properly.
I don't want to tear apart my transmission if it doesn't need tearing apart. I don't want a rebuilt one either. I've never abused my car, always service it and I drive very well; if I do say so myself.. There are only 70,000 miles on the car.
I don't think they changed the ATF fluid when they did the work either. Could it be that?? Maybe a faulty TCU. I'm not sure what to do?
I feel like asking them to replace the TCU and see if that might be the problem.
They said they will credit me what I've spent and apply it to a rebuilt tranny installed but I bet it still has the same problem...
Any suggestions would be so appreciated. What should I ask them to check? First....
thanks, JAck
Old 10-10-2013, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Just to satisfy my curiosity, tell me, how much does your Mercedes-Benz dealer want for a complete transmission?

If it were me, I’d call Sun Valley. 818 782 2300. They have been rebuilding Mercedes transmissions for decades, ship worldwide, and are known for GREAT work. Their transmissions come with a torque converter and a 2 year / unlimited mileage warranty. IF you need a transmission, they sell you one. If you don’t they’ll tell you that too. If you don’t live in So Cal, you may need to find a good indy for a second opinion.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:37 PM

2003 clk 430
Thanks for the advice.. They want around $6000 for a rebuilt factory tranny.

And I guess to clarify I had the "control unit" replaced. Part #
030-545-23-32-26. Price for that part was 1312.50.
They told me at the shop that's not the TCU. I'm not very knowledgeble when it comes to working on cars. Duh.. Might seem obvious... lol
But over the years I have done some repairs..
I know there is one "thing" under the passenger foot well. And another "thing" under the car. Both I believe have something to do with transmission performance..
Cars in the shop now.... I'll see what they come up with..
Thanks again.....
Old 10-23-2013, 02:12 PM

2003 clk 430
Transmission still a problem? clk430 2003

Trying to post a pic with this but I don't see it, yet??
OK; To sum is up; I had an problem with the car shifting into neutral when I would give it some gas to pass. The MB dealer replaced what they are calling the "control unit" price for this part was $1312.50. Another pricey item was a "transmission electric kit" price $302.94. Gear oil 26.40. Pilot bushing 20.52 and other seals..... Total with labor was $2623.86. I got a 10% I think it was, discount for being a "loyal customer"
Car was fine for about 60 days then I noticed a strange slight hesitatation with the car. Like it was missing sort of. Like it was loosing power just for a mini-second. Felt like it was missing but it wasn't coming from the engine you could tell.
Took it to the dealer on Sat no mechanics. They called me Monday said they thought I was feeling loose motor mounts. They showed me how the engine would lift up on the left drivers side when you hold the brake and press the gas at the same time; while in gear.??? Ok' so I need motor mounts?? But I was sure I was feeling something else. Sorry sooo lengthy.......
Ok, finally we took a drive and they felt what I was feeling. Told me I needed a new transmission?? The mechanic thought the problem would correct if you shifted down into 4th. Only did it at high speed and in 5th.. He suggested I might just drive in 4th until in broke down. That would have been ok I guess but that wasn't the case. The car did this learching missing thing in all gears at slow speeds too. Took it back in and told them I felt this was not going to be good for the car or engine so I wasn't wanting to drive it. Yawn......
Days later they called and said they believed the problem was not the transmission but the "Torque converter and torque shutter". Waiting for parts.....................
Today they called and said the transmission fluid looks a bit yellow and they believe the fluid has been contaminated with anti-freeze from the hoses that pass thru the radiator to cool??? They are having it tested??
Now they are telling me if this is the case I will need a new transmission???
I've gone from motor mounts, to new tranny, no new tranny to torque converter and torque shutter and now a new tranny again....
Geeze.... What do you all think??

If the fluid is contaminated would that ruin my transmission; even if it just happened and is wasn't driven for that long?? Couldn't it be flushed out somehow??
Thanks for any advise; Very sorry this is so rambling.....
Wanted to give all the info possible.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission problem? clk 430-car-repair-008.jpg  
Old 10-23-2013, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Unfortunately, if the coolant is mixed with the transmission fluid, you'll need a transmission rebuild. That is because the antifreeze will delaminate the clutch packs – and it happens quickly. You "may" be able to swap radiators (that is what failed and allowed the transmission fluid & antifreeze to mix) and flush the transmission fluid, but I've never heard of anyone successfully pulling this off as a long term fix. That’s because by the time you feel the transmission problem, some damage has already been done. This isn't a "Mercedes specific" issue - most automatic transmissions use the lower part of the radiator as a transmission fluid cooler. When the seal in the radiator that separates the two fluids fails - its transmission time.

Sorry for the bad news.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:21 AM

2003 clk 430
Transmission problem 2003 clk 430

Originally Posted by MarcusF
Just to satisfy my curiosity, tell me, how much does your Mercedes-Benz dealer want for a complete transmission?

If it were me, I’d call Sun Valley. 818 782 2300. They have been rebuilding Mercedes transmissions for decades, ship worldwide, and are known for GREAT work. Their transmissions come with a torque converter and a 2 year / unlimited mileage warranty. IF you need a transmission, they sell you one. If you don’t they’ll tell you that too. If you don’t live in So Cal, you may need to find a good indy for a second opinion.
Still learning my way around this site. I've posted a few replies here but I can't find them??
Took almost too long to even find my thread.

Been told now I need a new tranny and radiator. Total cost for labor; rebuilt tranny and a radiator replacement is around $6700. They are giving me a credit for $2600 I spent 60 days ago for a control unit and other stuff... Does that sound about right??
Thanks, Jack
Old 10-25-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
You must love your 430, because I would demand the refund from the other work, then take your car and sell it to either A.) A German Dismantler who also refurbishes cars, and has 722.6's laying around B.) LKQ for a decent price, take your $6K, add the $2600, and buy a 55 AMG for not much more.

Originally Posted by JackRobinson
Still learning my way around this site. I've posted a few replies here but I can't find them??
Took almost too long to even find my thread.

Been told now I need a new tranny and radiator. Total cost for labor; rebuilt tranny and a radiator replacement is around $6700. They are giving me a credit for $2600 I spent 60 days ago for a control unit and other stuff... Does that sound about right??
Thanks, Jack
Old 10-27-2013, 01:02 AM

2003 clk 430
Originally Posted by Scott Simoncic
You must love your 430, because I would demand the refund from the other work, then take your car and sell it to either A.) A German Dismantler who also refurbishes cars, and has 722.6's laying around B.) LKQ for a decent price, take your $6K, add the $2600, and buy a 55 AMG for not much more.
Yes there was a CLK 430 AMG 55. Mine... It's obviously not a AMG 55 but it has the AMG trim package. It's the Designo Edition. I've got saddle brown leather interior. Not the typical charcoal or ivory. I also have a special exterior color designed for the Designo Edition. Called "Mocca Black". It's almost black but actually a very dark metallic brown. Looks great in the sun with the black top.
It came with navigation, Bose, halogen... all the bells and whistles. And yep; I do love my car. You don't see it every day..
Not a scratch or dent. Garaged and serviced.
Oh, just to let folks know this is the first major repair this car has ever needed so I am not in the least disappointed with it. It still has my loyalty and I refuse to give it up for adoption. Maybe I'm jut in love with the BOSE stereo system....
BTW the dealer has given me the economy C230 to drive these weeks I'm without my car and realizing it's the economy sedan it's feels like a very light inexpensive car compared to my tank.. I think I'll just keep it.
Jack
Attached Thumbnails Transmission problem? clk 430-my-car-11-26-11-002.jpg   Transmission problem? clk 430-my-car-11-26-11-013.jpg   Transmission problem? clk 430-my-car-11-26-11-006.jpg   Transmission problem? clk 430-my-car-11-26-11-012.jpg  

Last edited by JackRobinson; 10-27-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:20 AM

2003 clk 430
oh yeah,don't forget the amg wheels..
Old 10-27-2013, 01:45 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Ya, all 430's for the most part in the US had the "AMG" trim package, still doesn't make it an AMG, mine has that as well, Designo's are hard to come by though. If you look at the build sheet it actually lists the AMG sport parts under the Avantgarde package, which is fitted to pretty much all 430's in the US, just without the badge that the european models have. If the car didn't make a stop in Affalterbach during the building process, it's not an AMG.

oh yeah,don't forget the amg wheels..
Old 10-27-2013, 01:54 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
That said, it is beautiful! Looks very well kept too! Very nice car.... Try contacting a german dismantler or LKQ for a used trans and have it fitted by a good local indy mechanic that specializes in Merc's.... Probably cut that price in half.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:08 PM

2003 clk 430
Yes I know my car doesn't have the larger AMG 55 engine.
I have the standard CLK 430 engine with 279 metric horsepower and the AMG 55 has 372 metric horsepower.
So not quite sure what your point is.
You are correct when saying it's not an AMG 55. It just looks like one.. and has all the options that come with the AMG.
That's all I was saying....
And thanks for the kudo's. Yes my car has been very well maintained. I get compliments everyday about the how good it looks and people love the color combination.. Me too.....
Old 10-27-2013, 12:33 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Yes I know my car doesn't have the larger AMG 55 engine.
I have the standard CLK 430 engine with 279 metric horsepower and the AMG 55 has 372 metric horsepower.
So not quite sure what your point is.
You are correct when saying it's not an AMG 55. It just looks like one.. and has all the options that come with the AMG.
That's all I was saying....
And thanks for the kudo's. Yes my car has been very well maintained. I get compliments everyday about the how good it looks and people love the color combination.. Me too.....
My point was just that some people get convinced that their 430 is an AMG car, but it's obvious you know that's not true. Your welcome man, it's good to see when people take great care of their cars! I have an Opal Black, not even close to as rare as your color, but not that common either. I take great pride in mine as well, check out my post a few down that says A little saturday clay and wax and there's pictures. I've been looking to trade up for a 55, but only if I can find my color, and that's probably going to be impossible.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
More Opinions

I'd take it to an indy shop for a new 2nd or 3rd opinion diagnosis.

And how about this - your motor mounts may be just fine. Do you hear a "clunk" when you drive? If not, chances are they are ok.

I can't tell you how many times people are either wrong, or just don't know enough to provide proper diagnoses.

I remember once, when I had a Sabb 9-3 Conv., at 70K, the shifter would act up, and the dealer plugged it into the computer and low and behold "you need a new trans"

Um...NO! So...took it away from stealer...drove it another 50K with some shifter issues every now and then and then finally, at 130K my indy looked at it and found it was just a broken part in the shifter component itself...NOT THE TRANSMISSION.

And then..paid 150 for this fix...and drove it another huge amount of miles before I got my ML.

Always be suspicious. And your car looks like a beauty.

Oh yea, and call the stealer and demand your money back for the work they performed that was based on their improper analysis.

Absolutely unacceptable.

And don't forget, you have Yelp, BBB, Facebook and all other sites where you can tell the world about the shoddy service.

Last edited by johnnr; 11-15-2013 at 11:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JackRobinson (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 10:06 PM

2003 clk 430
Sorry, I fell asleep.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
This is not true. The REAL clk amg cars have air contoured seats, different suspension, and brakes. I loved my 430 and wish I didn't sell it but it is no AMG.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
clk and e coupe
if there is coolant in your transmission you will need to rebuild it. We do transmissions all the time at our shop. Also if you go to an independent shop it will be much cheaper than the 6k quoted to you.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
So what ended up happening with this?
Old 09-02-2016, 04:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
clk and e coupe
Originally Posted by exhaustgases
So what ended up happening with this?
I didnt realize this was a 3 year old post.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 Mercedes Benz CLK320
Help? Please!!

I recently bought a 99 CLK320. I've read that the car comes with a 722.6xx transmission. I replaced the Tranny gasket and filter. Also put in new fluid.. Long story short, I took it for a ride and it won't shift to 2nd. It goes into reverse and 1st no problem but will not shift to 2nd.

I've read that it could be one of the following.. TCM, ECU, Speed Sensor Control, Gear Shifter & Module, Valve Body, Throttle Position Sensor, or the Conductor Plate, O-Rings on the Conductor Plate Connector. Is there anything else I'm missing?