CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Soft top problems on my CLK 230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 230
Soft top problems on my CLK 230

Im from Sweden so sorry for my bad English, I will do my best to try to explain

When I start the car the cab buttom turns red and when i put in D it starts to beep. When I open the cab it working without any problems, when I close the cab everything works perfekt too and the red light is turning off BUT if I drive over a bump with the top on suddenly it starts too beep and all the windows is opening.
What is wrong? I read in another forum that it could be the torn wires, what is that?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Magma Red W208 55 AMG, W203 C230 Kompressor Sedan 6speed M/T, W220 S500
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/455064-w208-cab-windows-roll-down-themselves.html
Old 04-25-2014, 11:04 AM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Originally Posted by tjallesale
Im from Sweden so sorry for my bad English, I will do my best to try to explain

When I start the car the cab buttom turns red and when i put in D it starts to beep. When I open the cab it working without any problems, when I close the cab everything works perfekt too and the red light is turning off BUT if I drive over a bump with the top on suddenly it starts too beep and all the windows is opening.
What is wrong? I read in another forum that it could be the torn wires, what is that?
Originally Posted by MagmaRed55
tjallesale, welcome to the forum!

Beeping when you put the car in drive means that one of the three locks (rear bow lock, tonneau cover lock, or manual front/top lock) is not giving a "closed" signal.

Driving over a bump with the top up and the windows suddenly going down, means that there is a signal from the manual latch in the front that simulates you have turned the latch to open it. This almost certainly means a wiring problem in the front latch, and MagmaRed55 has pointed you to the correct thread.

Just for completeness, bad wires can also occur in the hinge for the storage (tonneau) cover, and cause the top not to work (not the case for you). This is covered in posts 80+/- of https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/519324-clk-convertible-top-problem-solving-common-electrical-hydraulic-system-failures.html.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com