CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need First Benz Purchase Advise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Need First Benz Purchase Advise

Hello, My name is Phillip.

I posted this in the general forums, but have not gotten any advice. I figured if I would post in a specific area I might get better feedback. I hope you all can help.

I am looking for a daily driver and have found some decent looking MB along with a few other vehicles. I need advice on what problems each car are commonly associated with and how much maintenance cost are and how hard it is to obtain parts. I am lost when it comes to MB and this would be my first MB.

I found a 1997 E420 with 210k miles and the AMG package, it looks like a clean solid vehicle and I plan to go look at it tonight or tomorrow. It does have wheel well rust.

I am also considering a 1998 CLK320 with 160k miles. The interior is nice but the outside has some issues. It has a decent sized rust spot on the trunk deck, rust on the wheel wells, and the front bumper is hanging down.

How many miles do these each typically last? How bad are rust problems? From what I've read they are common on the CLK's. I know that a few cars on the road have problems with timing chains or timing belts, do MB typically have these problems?

I look forward to hear from you all.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 Clk55 AMG
Cars with that many miles are going to need quite a bit of care. The suspension, brakes, etc. are going to need replacing. Unless you can get proof that these things have been done I would stay away. The w208 has rust issues. They can be controlled, but if left unchecked it becomes a real problem. The m113,m112 motors use timing chains and they last a long time. Used mercedes are very inexpensive, but you will be much happier spending a little more for one that has good records and has been well cared for. Parts are usually easy to get and prices are not outrageous, but repair costs quickly get out of hand if you have to pay a mechanic to work on it.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:05 PM

none
Are there any special tools for these cars and are they very expensive?

I do all the work on my vehicles so I am not afraid to get my hands dirty and fix them myself. Brakes are perhaps one of the easiest jobs to work on and while suspension can get tricky it is fairly straight forward though suspension costs can rise quick with expensive parts. It is good to know that the parts do not cost outrageously and are easy to obtain.

I need a new daily driver as my other car is currently down and it will take me time to fix it. If these miles are scary for a Benz, should I look for another brand? I have to get a vehicle with the money I have, and don't have a lot of time to look. That's on of the reasons I was looking at MB, people have told me in the past that 200k is nothing for a Benz.

Thank you for the quick response I await more responses.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
For not much more money, for either the W208 or W210, you should look at and consider purchasing examples, nearer their end of production, as these will have all of the early production issues resolved and include numerous refinements. Both were produced through model year 2002.

MB didn't begin seriously treating body panels for rust protection until around 2004. However, for some strange reason, some CLKs have rust, while others do not. I've had my 2001 CLK320 Cabrio since new, live in the Boston area (e.g. snowy Winters with lots of sand and salt), yet have zero rust.

The CLK320 and CLK430 engines use timing chains that typically last the life of the car.

Here is Part 1, of a multi-part video series, regarding buying a 10 - 15 year old Mercedes:

He covers the DIY repair aspect in later Parts of this series.

I do 95%+ of the maintenance and repairs on my CLK. Gone are the days where you only needed a set of screwdrivers and set of basic metric wrenches/sockets. You'll also need a set of E sockets, Torx bits and torque wrenches to work on these cars (e.g. much of the drive train components are cast aluminum).

I bought everything I needed, inexpensively at Harbor Fright Tools

http://www.harborfreight.com/?hftref=cj#

Yes, it's all made in China, but so are most of the items from major brands too.

For example, on sale or using coupons, I bought a set of E sockets for $5, at full set of Torx bits for $7 and their 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch torque wrenches for $10 each.

So far, the only special MB tool I have bought is a special wrench (17mm with offset), used to remove the spark plug boots (i.e. wires).

You will find the history of the W208 CLK at:

http://www.fitzhughmedia.com/MBF/W208.html

You will find tips of what to check for in a used Mercedes at:

http://www.fitzhughmedia.com/MBF/inspect.html

http://www.fitzhughmedia.com/MBF/usedCLK.html

http://www.fitzhughmedia.com/MBF/usedtips.html

Last edited by Serndipity; 11-19-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:12 PM

none
Wow, that's a lot of info. Answers some of my questions. It will take me some time to go through it all.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:45 AM

2001 Clk55 AMG
I do like the w208, I am driving a '01 clk55 and I have 162k miles on the car. Aside from normal repairs it has been extremely reliable. The clk is a good choice because it is somewhat simpler in design and seems to hold up well. Prices are really good on these as well. Even the clk55 sells for 10k or less. Try and find an '01-'02 as mentioned above to take advantage of the refinement that took place.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:25 AM

none
My problem is I only have so much money to spend and can't afford the luxury of finding newer alternatives. I have a hand full of vehicles I am interested in and the 98 clk320 and the E420 are two of them. And they fall within my budget, which is only about 3k.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208 CLK55
Originally Posted by Pjsalyer
My problem is I only have so much money to spend and can't afford the luxury of finding newer alternatives. I have a hand full of vehicles I am interested in and the 98 clk320 and the E420 are two of them. And they fall within my budget, which is only about 3k.
What's your maintenance budget say if something breaks on the car?
Old 11-20-2014, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Someone, just recently posted that they bought a nice 2001 CLK430 convertible for $4,500.

If you watched the video series I suggested, 10 - 15 year old MB sell for 10%, or less, than their original MSRP. That's because people have discovered that they are very expensive to maintain and/or repair. That's certainly true when the required work is done at dealerships and is only slightly less when done by independent mechanics specializing in MB.

However, that should not be an issue for you because, these cars have proven to be quite reliable, you said that you're DIY capable and parts are readily available at half of what repair shops charge.

Following is the link that discusses the purchase of the above 2001 CLK430 convertible.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...-430-conv.html

The 2001 model year MSRP prices were $41,950 for the CLK320, $48,900 for the CLK320 Cabriolet, $49,650 for the CLK430, $56,500 for the CLK430 Cabriolet and $67,400 for the CLK55.

Without considering options and extras, such as destination/delivery @ $646, metallic paint @ $625, rain sensing wipers, headlamp washing system, Xenon headlamps, heated seats which were included in the K4 value package @ $2,275 etc., the base MSRP for the car he purchased was $56,500. He paid $4,500 or 8% of the original base MSRP.

IMHO, you should be able to find a nice (e.g. well cared for, documented maintenance/repair records, with less than 130K miles, few minor cosmetic flaws etc.) 2001 CLK320 coupe, for around your budget (e.g. 8% of $41,950 MSRP = $3,356).

Last edited by Serndipity; 11-20-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:49 PM

2001 Clk55 AMG
Given the choice between those two cars I would get the clk.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:22 PM

none
@Serndipity
I certainly have watched them and they helped me decide not to purchase the 1997 E420, while the engine was ok, it certainly left something to be desired. Tires where well past half and if I were trying to sell the car I would change them. The seller was surprised when I did not try to barter with him, just a flat out no.

@CJackson13
I am leaving myself with about $1000 for parts ext for the next 3 months until I have more funds. I know that is not much. I am in college and about to graduate, so once I have a job secured I will be able to reserve extra. That is something I have been trying to prepare for.

I am meeting the guy with the clk this weekend along with looking at a few other cars. I am still hesitant because in the picture the clk had a hanging front bumper, should not be to bad.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:48 PM

2001 Clk55 AMG
The bumper cover is not held on all that securely. As long as the cover isn't to thrashed I wouldn't worry too much. Use it to get a better deal.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
I realize this is a Benz forum, but from a purely practical standpoint, have you considered looking into a different car that's cheaper to maintain until you have a larger budget for a car? Leaving yourself $1000 to maintain a 15 year old car which you'll never know the full story about doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:43 PM

W208 CLK55
Originally Posted by Josh K
I realize this is a Benz forum, but from a purely practical standpoint, have you considered looking into a different car that's cheaper to maintain until you have a larger budget for a car? Leaving yourself $1000 to maintain a 15 year old car which you'll never know the full story about doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do. Good luck.
+1

Your $1k will be gone after an oil change and tires.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:29 PM

none
Well, 1k for 3 months is far better than one might think and should not even need to be touched if you buy the right car. Went and saw some cars today, and did not like any of them. The guy with the CLK 320 was going to be so late that I had to leave to look at the next car. So I'm on the hunt again. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
PPI

Ok someone else may have already given you this advice but just in case here goes. Start from the premise that the CLK, W208, is a great car. That said it now has between,10-15 years on the clock, probably a couple of owners and different maintenance habits. Until I purchased my 55 I used to give a car the once over rin it by an indy mechanic and make an offer. I was advised this time around by folks who own CLKs to have an MBZ dealer do a pre-purchase inspection, PPI. By far the best advice I have ever received. Because the PPI came back horribly on a different candidate vehicle, discovered over $13k in needed repairs, and great on my 55 I went with the 55. Along with the PPI, you an see all the SDS history and MBZ service history going back to the day it rolled off the boat. They can also gove you cost estimate for short, medium and long term repairs, extremely valuable info when you are trying to make clear headed purchase decision. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:36 PM

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Josh K
I definitely agree with this. If you are a college student, You aren't going to be saving for maintenance style repairs for a 12-15 year old benz.

Here's the reason in order of most-least important I drive a 2002 clk430...

1) I paid cash... no payment book. I'm done with car payments.
2) repairs even on a 12 year old benz are cheaper than a payment.
3) if the car blows up and I need to put a ton of work in it like an engine or a trans (basically more than the car is worth)... I can afford to buy another car tomorrow outright and pay cash for it.
4) I like the car... it's neat.

Basically you need to be able and responsible enough to afford to pay for repairs and have cash in the bank to do so... all the time. It's really the only way this works.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:31 PM

CLK430
Originally Posted by miatawnt2b

3) if the car blows up and I need to put a ton of work in it like an engine or a trans (basically more than the car is worth)... I can afford to buy another car tomorrow outright and pay cash for it.

Basically you need to be able and responsible enough to afford to pay for repairs and have cash in the bank to do so... all the time. It's really the only way this works.
These are the same reasons I have a 14-year-old Benz as well. It's definitely a luxurious, full-featured car at a low price. But its no budget car and its definitely no discount. Even with a vehicle lift and a garage-full of tools, it has cost about $2000.00 in parts. These are parts that wouldn't need to be checked out had it been a Japanese brand (I know because I have two other cars, a Miata and a Sienna, all of the same era) and they don't consume nearly as much $$ in parts as the Benz does. I attribute it mostly to the wonky Czech-made electronics.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Longest post in a while

For a DIY type, the W208 can be VERY inexpensive.

I’ve had my CLK forever and very few things have actually “broken”. The last thing that actually broke on my car was the throttle pedal sensor. I took it to my local dealer at 2 in the afternoon on a Thursday with no appointment – they diagnosed the problem, fixed it, and sent me on my way that afternoon. The price was less than $450. Before that? An ambient temperature sensor, part number 005428418, for $14.57 (the AC blows ICE cold now). That’s it for 2014.

2013 - I got tired of hearing noisy lifters, so I replaced them all. Lifters and valve cover gaskets cost less than $260. Yes, those are dealer parts and I don't get a discount. I also swapped the oil pressure relief valve. Drop the pan, pull the oil pump and replace the $16 valve. Add in another $8 in pan sealant and 2013 was less than $400 in worn parts (parts that may not even fail in another car).

2012 – the right rear seat release for $14.

2011 - $107 for a blower motor regulator and a $150 MAF sensor (the sensor is a normal wear part)

2010 – zip

2009 – zip

2008 – the transmission plate and the $2.09 o-ring cost about $800 at the dealer (parts and labor) with the fluid change

2007 – cats. I don’t remember what they cost, but the dealer did them for very little coinage.

Before that? The factory 5 year/100K extended warranty covered everything.

Sure, I’ve had a zillion oil changes, countless air filters, brake pads and several sets of rotors, motor mounts, fuel filters, plugs, plug wires, O2 sensors, but that stuff is all normal wear / planned maintenance. The most expensive part of ownership? Tires. Several sets of Continentals add up.

If anyone wants to buy a Benz, any Benz, if it's not new, have it inspected. That goes for two year old cars under factory warranty too.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:32 AM

none
Originally Posted by miatawnt2b

Here's the reason in order of most-least important I drive a 2002 clk430...

My first car I paid cash for, and I never plan on buying any other vehicles without cash. If more people realized this, they would save themselves a ton of money.

As far as these cars having parts break down that don't on other vehicles, well that's just not true. From my personal experience fixing my families and friends vehicles, random parts fail. Two identical cars have similar problems yes, but they also have their own set of problems. Toyota is horrible with door handles and glove boxes, are Mercedes? I have personally never walked up to a Mercedes and had the door handle not work, yet have countless times to a Toyota. Granted I have ridden in more Toyotas than Mercedes, but I have been in quite a few Benzs.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Do yourself a HUGE favor and just go buy a Honda Accord. Not a civic, or other compact, they tend to fall apart. The mid-size cars like Accord or Camry hold up very well, and they are extremely common, so the parts are very cheap. They are pretty simple to work on, and if you have any problem, then someone on the internet will tell you how to solve it yourself.

These old MB are great cars IF they have been maintained over the years. I'm guessing a car with 200K on it and a bunch of rust or bumper hanging off has not been properly maintained. The parts are not terribly expensive if you order them online. Since the E-class (CLK being mostly an E coupe) was used for taxi service all over Europe, they are pretty common, just not in the US. You can find fixes online, but not as plentiful as the previous mentioned Jap cars. You don't need a ton of expensive tools for mechanical work, but if you find yourself with electrical / computer problems, then there are some things that just can't be sorted out without a very expensive trip to a dealer or high-end mechanic shop. If you are a decent garage mechanic and you can work the Google, then you will be fine with doing most repairs yourself.

I too agree that I am in LOVE with the look and the power of this old girl. It turns heads and people think I'm rich or something. I have not spent a ton on maintenance, maybe $2K in 2 years or so, including a couple sets of tires to fit my 19" rims, which are not cheap. It has cost me far less than a payment on a new car, even a cheap one these days is like $20K and far less impressive than my CLK in every aspect. My car has well over 100K on it, and has been very well maintained by previous owners.

All that said, If I only had a few grand to buy a reliable vehicle, and not a lot of extra in the bank for any unexpected repairs, then I would go with the Honda Accord. In 10 years when you have steady income and a savings account, you can buy a nice 10yr old MB for cash and enjoy it.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:36 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Let us know what you find with pictures if possible. Good luck with your search!

Mark/Pelican Parts
Old 11-27-2014, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
my 99 320

Originally Posted by Pjsalyer
I have a 99/320 that I found with only 3623 miles on it and now 42K. It has been all but bullet proof. Only now am I having to replace the drag link. The coupe and the sedan are going to be two completely different cars. What do you really want? And, $3K isn't going to buy you much. just look at http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...65154018&Log=0. I do not mean to be unkind but I don't think you are considering what you are going to spend in parts/repairs for a vehicle with well over 100K miles which is what falls over your price range.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:51 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
If you don't mind.... What is your purchase budget? I wouldn't buy a $2500 Benz... You can get a nice 430 for about 6K... I hear rust issues on clk's, I'm on my second and haven't seen any on either... Mind you I'm in CA though. I have had no problems with either, fantastic cars, imho better than my sc400 Lexus. That being said, they were both well maintained. I will keep buying Mercedes products from now on. Do make a point to buy a 2001-2002 model of the CLK or E class. Though I would say, if you really have limited funds, something like a Camry, accord or focus might be the best bet.