CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK55 sotor Swap, anyone?? AMG INSIDE...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55
CLK55 Motor Swap, anyone?? AMG INSIDE...

What's up, I recently listed my stock 02' CLK55 Cabriolet's motor for sale in the classifieds here; I figured I'd use this thread as a placeholder for what's to come, as well as mention that my low mileage, no accident motor with only 78k on it is for sale. So should anyone want a little more juice in their CLK w/o jumping through all sorts of crazy hoops, get at me. Motor is in Pompano Beach, FL. at my devilishly sick mechanic's shop. Shipping may be an option too.

Her stock, unmodified form..

Last edited by whitee; 01-12-2015 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Fix typo "Sotor" to "motor"
Old 01-13-2015, 05:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
Just curious is your devilishly sick mechanic swapping something else into your 55? If so what else, perhaps the SC version of the same engine from an SL55? Or TT V8 from a more recent SL63?
Old 01-13-2015, 06:22 PM

CLK55
^^ I think you're on to something
Today's snapshot
Old 01-15-2015, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
I'm not far, in Orlando. I might be interested in putting the 55 engine in my CLK430, but I think that will require all sorts of computer controls and techno things to be swapped over right? It's not like swapping a motor in a 67 Camaro.

I would be interested in a package price to have the motor swap 100% turn key done by your mechanic into my car. How much do you think? I'm thinking it would be more costly than the difference between finding a true CLK55 in good condition and selling mine. The only reason I would consider the engine swap is that my car is in such great condition, but does have a lot more miles on the less powerful V8.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208 CLK55
Originally Posted by jonUF02
I'm not far, in Orlando. I might be interested in putting the 55 engine in my CLK430, but I think that will require all sorts of computer controls and techno things to be swapped over right? It's not like swapping a motor in a 67 Camaro.

I would be interested in a package price to have the motor swap 100% turn key done by your mechanic into my car. How much do you think? I'm thinking it would be more costly than the difference between finding a true CLK55 in good condition and selling mine. The only reason I would consider the engine swap is that my car is in such great condition, but does have a lot more miles on the less powerful V8.
I recently completed the swap and it's essentially plug and play. You can run the motor with your 430 ecu if you have the me2.8 ecu, however you can get the 55 ecu flashed and tuned to your car so your keys, speedo, etc will work properly. I paid right around $3k total, but I also had a tranny service and all the gaskets/seals/mounts/fluids replaced in both the motor and trans. Also, I was lucky enough to have an acquaintance with a lift.... I highly recommend the swap though, you won't regret it.

Seeing that you have a year 2000 CLK, you probably dont have the me2.8 ecu/tcu, so you'll have to pick one up somewhere, best bet is to get it from the seller in conjunction with the motor. I'm not completely certain but there might be a lot more electrical things to do having the me2.0.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 GL550 4matic
Originally Posted by CJackson13
I recently completed the swap and it's essentially plug and play. You can run the motor with your 430 ecu if you have the me2.8 ecu, however you can get the 55 ecu flashed and tuned to your car so your keys, speedo, etc will work properly. I paid right around $3k total, but I also had a tranny service and all the gaskets/seals/mounts/fluids replaced in both the motor and trans. Also, I was lucky enough to have an acquaintance with a lift.... I highly recommend the swap though, you won't regret it.

Seeing that you have a year 2000 CLK, you probably dont have the me2.8 ecu/tcu, so you'll have to pick one up somewhere, best bet is to get it from the seller in conjunction with the motor. I'm not completely certain but there might be a lot more electrical things to do having the me2.0.

So you say it's "plug and play" with the me2.8 ecu (which I probably don't have on a 2000 model) but the keys, speedo, etc. does not work right. I would not really call that "plug and play" unless you're only using if for drag racing or something. That is not functional for daily use.

Basically what you're saying is that I would have to get eh ECU and TCU included with the motor, or a compatible set, and also find somewhere to have it programmed to match my car.

Also, you say you have a lift, so I'm guessing that $3k was parts only and you or a friend did all the labor for free? So that would probably be nearly double if I'm paying for labor. At that point, it definitely makes more sense to just buy an original 55, and swap over what I want, then sell mine. There are quite a few other parts upgraded on the 55, like interior features, brakes, exhaust, and I don't know what else.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:09 PM

CLK55
I'll give my guy a call and ask him what's required from his perspective, if he says it's a walk in the park (I presume), then I'll put you directly in touch with him.. I say UPGRADE! When I had my CLK430 Cab, I HPS supercharged it, and imo that wasn't as powerful as even the stock CLK55's M113. My mechanic after driving it commented on how "powerful" the engine felt..and he drives these (55's, 63's, etc, etc.) all the time... so maybe I got a "good one"..
Old 01-16-2015, 06:17 PM

CLK55
Originally Posted by jonUF02

Hey Jon, I just spoke to my mechanic, he said no problem, just may need to send your ecu out for reprogramming. Please PM ME with your info if you're seriously interested, and I'll put you in touch with him, he'll be in the shop tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:00 PM

CLK55
Update: the motor has been in, we've been modifying misc parts, he's working on some coding things.. but overall it's coming along very smoothy, and she should be ready in the next few weeks for the final unveiling. Merc Werks in Pompano Beach, FL. ask for Rolston, and tell em' Erik sent you.. you will thank me 100x over in the future. His only limitations are your imagination.. My man is skilled beyond expectation.. Customization, Wiring, fabrication, basic repair & maintenance, etc.. you name it he does it..

Old 01-29-2015, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 GL550 4matic
Looks like a beast. Good to know such a place if my engine ever decides to blow up, but I think that swapping the 55 into my 430 would only disappoint me in the long run, as I would not have all the other goodies on a true 55. I think selling mine and buying a 55 would be a more cost effective route if I choose to do so anyway. I know everyone always thinks more power = better, but to be honest, the stock 430 is more power than I can even open up on a regular basis as a daily driver in a city.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:47 PM

CLK55
I hear ya' Jon, when I took the s/c off (my prior clk430 cab) to sell the car, I wasn't too disappointed by the 430's stock power. However having just sold my R230 SL55..and then getting into a non FI engine..I was missing the power.. so I had to fix that.

Rolston had 2 decades of MB dealership experience before listening to all of us (customer-friends) telling him to open his own shop. I couldn't be more happy for him, he's that once in a lifetime find in a mechanic.